The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2002, 09:52 AM   #1
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
1420! Dwarves?

We all know that elves went into the west and disappeared.

Then men take over, but people forget the dwarves. What happened to them?

Did they mix with men or what?

And what about orcs come to think of it?
Old 06-11-2002, 10:57 AM   #2
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aldagrim Proudfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The Dwarves probably hid from Humans and died off, like Mim of the Petty Dwarves in The Silmarillion.

The orcs, who were corruptions of Elves, were probably hunted and killed off by humans.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:46 PM   #3
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Apparently they just went into their mountains and disappeared. There is speculation that they died off, but if they vanished into the mountains, then you would not know that.

There might still be some of us...uh, I mean them, hidden away in some deep dark caverns under some massive mountains, with their Internet hook-ups, cell phones, etc.

You just never know...

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2002, 10:30 AM   #4
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I guess the innocent little hobbit-folk died out too then... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img], or maybe they stuck around and became more and more secretive until men began calling them "elves" after forgetting about the real ones. Perhaps that's how we got the idea that elves are Santa's little helpers and other such nonsense.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 12:13 PM   #5
MallornLeaf
Haunting Spirit

MallornLeaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MallornLeaf
Silmaril

As far as hobbits go, it is hinted at that they mixed in and eventually grew to be as tall as men. *is there hobbit in me?* and for dwarves, maybe they still live in mountains that we've never been under. . . [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

"I pass the test, I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel."
MallornLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 01:20 PM   #6
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
As far as hobbits go, it is hinted at that they mixed in and eventually grew to be as tall as men. *is there hobbit in me?* and for dwarves, maybe they still live in mountains that we've never been under. . .
Where in the book did you see that? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Quote:
I suppose Hobbits need some description nowadays, since they have become rare and shy of Big People, as they call us. They are (or were) a little people, about half our height, and smaller than the bearded Dwarves. Hobbits had no beards. There is little or no magic about them, except the ordinary everyday sort which helps them to disappear quietly and quickly when large stupid folk like you and me come blundering along, making a noise like elephants which they can hear a mile off.- The Hobbit
The (or were) seems to mean extinct.

Quote:
The final fate of Dwarves is uncertain. The Elves said that they have no life beyond Arda and the death of their bodies. But the dwarves themselves claimed that Aule would bring them to the Halls of Mandos, whence they will join the Children of Iluvatar at the end. - TCGTME
There could be a more detailed account of the fate of Dwarves in one of the HoME's, perhaps someone will enlighten us with more about Dwarves fate.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 06:25 PM   #7
Thinlaithion

Sting

I don't know if it has any truth in it, or where I got the idea, but I always thought that after men began to take over the world, the dwarves went to the mountains (possibaly retook Moria, and it becam Khazad-Dum again). The mountains were "closed up" by the dwarves, and then they passed out of all knowlodge. And to this day, they are probally still there, mining and making, content as dwarves can be. That is my opinion.