User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-28-2002, 02:27 AM   #441
Farrehn
Pile O'Bones

Farrehn has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

The door peeped open and soon a woman entered. She was neither tall nor short. As Half-elf, she wore rich garments and on her back was a cursed sword that she bore with her everywhere. She threw back her black wool cloak hood and took a seat near the door. She noted the friendly Hobbit and slightly smiled. She only ordered some water.

She drank long and deep, grateful for the taste of clean water. Her journey had been long, and dark. She was glad to be in the light of the Green Dragon. It gave her comfort.

[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: Farrehn ]
Old 12-28-2002, 03:27 AM   #442
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

After wandering casually around one side of the inn, Biffo headed over to an empty table near the door, not too far from where this curious new entry was. After a couple of sips of his ale, he attempted to start up a conversation (which was never one of his strong points!)...

"Say, that's an interesting looking sword, there, Miss! Bet you didn't get that around here, then did ya?"
Old 12-28-2002, 03:33 AM   #443
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Farrehn

Please check your private messages.

ALL POSTERS

The Dwarf Inkeeper, Dwarin, is away from the Inn for a while. In the meantime Piosenniel is tending bar and Cami is assisting her.
Old 12-28-2002, 03:34 AM   #444
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The pale stranger was still deep in thoughts, the shadows of the past darkening his face, when he saw a young woman approaching him.

The stranger knew at once, who's kin she was, the red hair and bright green eyes making it obvious that she was in some way related to Almarien.

He knew Almarien and his sons, knew them as anyone living in the wilds would. But they did not know him.

A bitter smile spread over his face, making him look suddenly older. No doubt Almarien had heard speak of his father.

He got up, took his cloak and smiled apologetically to the woman as he rushed past her and into the night. He couldn't risk being recognized.

For a while he stayed there, outside the Inn, leaning to its wooden door and watching the stars high above. He could still hear the distant voices and laughter from inside.

"This is how it's always going to be," he said to himself. "Always."

[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: Schmendrick ]
Old 12-28-2002, 04:36 AM   #445
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

1420!

"Goodness me!" Biffo exclaimed, "I could have sworn that young lass was a dwarf! Oh, dear, just like me to put my foot in it."

Nothing for it but to attend to his ale. Biffo picked up the tankard in both of his worn but still-young hands, and tried his best to stop the embarrassment rising to flush his face.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:49 AM   #446
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

The young elf watched as the hobbit sat down across the room from her.

They are strange folk, she thought silently to herself. Not a care in the world, minding their own business. Living totally separate lives from us.

A smile swept across her face, then she noticed the pale man walking out into the streets.

"He does not want to be recognized." She said quietly to herself "Too late."

She stood up and walked quietly out of the inn. The man was outside and she took no notice of him, not wishing to speak with him.

She new she would come back to this place some time, it was a very welcoming place, but she had things to do first.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:21 PM   #447
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

Eruantalon takes out a beautifully adorned instrument, and the inn keeper comes over to give him another pint of ale.

He says "Would you like to give us all a song sir"

the stranger smiles and says if it is no to great a bother to the orther.The inn keeper goes to ask the orthers when Eruantalon gestures for him to come near.

"What was that you where needing sir"he says.

"I see a tighered travler of the first born over across with red hair and bright green eyes ask here if she would like to hear a song of the Qeen of the stars and the light of the two trees."He says to the inn keeper.

"Your a friend of the Elvin folk sir" replies the inn keeper.

"This might be said of me" responds Eruantalon.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:30 PM   #448
Dark Shadow
Wight

Dark Shadow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He looked up, a cold smile spreading across his face as he saw the young Elf leave the inn. Earlier he had unmistakably seen her reach below her cloak for what was bound to be a knife or blade of some description. Yes, the best way to remain unnoticed. Draw a sword on someone. The thought made him laugh for some reason. Oh well. She was obviously new to the hiding business. He was an old player in that game, but still attracted far too much attention.

He drank from the tankard again, and set it back on the table. Well, he attracted attention as it was, and he certainly had no intentions of turning his sword on any of the customers at the inn. There seemed to be many visitors that night, who like himself wished to remain anonymous. Although she had been the first that night to show signs of carrying a weapon, he had no doubts that there were many others in the common room who would jump at the chance of a fight. He sighed. The Shire should not be this way. It used to be a peaceful refuge, but now had become a lair for dark unknown strangers, himself being one of them. And yet the Hobbits and Men of the area remained cheerful and bright. How, he did not know. This was another unanswered question that preyed on his mind, and he once more became consumed by dark questions.

[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: Dark Shadow ]
Old 12-28-2002, 01:30 PM   #449
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rie frowned as the stranger rushed past her, seemingly anxious to avoid conversation. Yet, there had been a light of recognition in his eyes, and in that strange smile: he knew who she was, or at least who her father was. Why had he left so suddenly? "Well," she said to herself, "perhaps it's just as well. Word might have gotten back to my father of my whereabouts, and then where would I be? Back at home, tied to the forge again! A pretty fate!"

With a little sigh of both frustration and confusion, she went back to her seat, but did not return to her drink. She had things to think about.

"--traveler of the first born over across with red hair and bright green eyes--"

Rie looked up at this description, presumably of herself. "First Born!" she thought, smiling. "If only." She leaned back in her chair, assuming a rather awkward and less than inconspicuous position, to catch another look at the stranger who was talking about her.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:52 PM   #450
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

It had only been an hour or two when the elf walked back into the inn. Her hazel eyes scanned the inn carefully as she sat down, now at a different table.

She had gone to visit an old friend of hers, in need of advice. He had been quite surprised to see her, but welcomed her all the same. They had chatted for a time untill she had decided to return to the Green Dragon for the night.

She was not in the mood to find a room just yet and decided to think things over.

She noticed a tall dark man taking out a a beautiful instrument, the likes of which she had never seen.

She sighed and thought back, when she had not the troubles she had now.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:08 PM   #451
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Now where was that Hobbit when she needed her?' Pio placed a great flagon of ale, a pitcher of water, and a flagon of hearty red wine on a tray and passed through the room, refreshing the empty tankards and cups of the patrons in the common room. tray ehld high above her head, she negotiated the jostling crowd, weaving her way between the clumps of drinkers telling tall tales and embroidered stories to their captive audience.

'Biffo, is it?.' she said, smiling prettily at him just to see him blush, as she topped off his drink and moved on.

On to the table where the newcomer, a woman in rich garment sat, a sword slung on her back. Fresh water for her, and a reminder that the weapon need stay sheathed while she was in the Inn - lest she feel of sting of Pio's knife stay her arm.

The Elf's eyes followed the two who had just exited, and saw them walk their separate ways - a pale stranger and a young Elf. Off on some hidden business of their own she supposed.

She saw the tall dark man take out his instrument and clean the dust from his journey from it. Smiling, she approached him, asking what it is he might wish to drink, and would he play a song for them. He replied in kind:

Quote:
"I see a tighered travler of the first born over across with red hair and bright green eyes ask here if she would like to hear a song of the Qeen of the stars and the light of the two trees."He says to the inn keeper.

"Your a friend of the Elvin folk sir" replies the inn keeper.

"This might be said of me" responds Eruantalon.
'Ah! Another of the elendili! Well met! My name is Piosenniel, or Pio, if you prefer. A Telerin - so if you have any of the ancient songs to sing, I would be grateful.' She topped off his ale, and called out to Rie. 'Here is one who would sing for you if you so desire - will you listen to a song or two?'

She moved on to her last stop - the fair haired wanderer's table. Placing her now empty tray on the table, she sat down with him once again, and watched the trailings of dark thoughts weave like mists behind his eyes. He gave a grudging smile as she perused his face, thankful that her questions, for this time at least, seemed done.

He tensed as she reached beneath her apron, but she laughed, a sound like the riffling of a small stream's waters as it rushes over pebbles to join merrily with the sea. And then relaxed as she drew from the pocket of her breeches a leathern pouch, a silvered flask, worked with traceries of gold encircling a scarlet heart within it.

'Elendil, I shall call you, my unnamed Elf-friend. Will you share a taste of Elvendom with me?'

She did not wait for his answer, but poured two drinks of miruvor in small silvered cups from out the pouch, pushing one of them toward him, the golden liquid catching the light of the lantern.

'To strangers of the road.' she said quietly, holding her cup up to him. 'And to friends of old and those yet to be made . . .'

[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-28-2002, 04:58 PM   #452
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Long Elwen stood in a grassy space just off the path from the door of The Green Dragon. Elwen sighed, how long had she been her? She couldn't tell. Time had passed like the swift river without beginning or end clear.

Slowly Elwen wandered around the pub. She had come full circle, when she had arrived she had sat just here beneath the branches of the silver birch, there leaves whispering in the evening winds. And now, back where she had begun, she knew that she had found a friend in the pub that would stay with her forever.

"Every spirit you will ever met will leave an imprint upon yours." Elwen whispered to herself. "One of the five great rules of the star people. And now I do believe it is high time that I met another."

The trees whispered their agreement and Elwen sprang to her feet. Sweeping her hood back she arranged her hair so it fell down her back instead of in her face. A laughter filled her and burst out in waterfalls of joy and happiness. Her fingers played over the silver ring on her left hand and she skipped a few steps taught to her by the fair lady Nostawen.

Up the steps Elwen ran, light headed with joy and light. She pushed the door to the pub wide open letting the fire light spill out and the moon light shine in.

Over the threshold Elwen sprang, light and nimble on elven feet. Bowing to the company now gathered she began,"Greetings and well met my friends. When I entered before I was weary with much grief and toll, and did not introduce myself. But Soronûmë has rid me of such feelings and though he has departed a wish to stay a while to enjoy the company of The Green Dragon."

Elwen smiled and flung her cloak on a nearby hook. Her eyes flashed in the fire light as her light spread and engulfed the company seated nearby. Over come with joy Elwen span in a circle, round and round. Her dress flying out and the gems in her hair glittering with the fire light and the light that was reflected up from Elwen herself.

Slowly Elwen came to a stop, a sigh of contentment coming from the heart. She bowed again. Laughing she flick her hair back, shaking loose curls back in to place. Her steps quick and light making no sound of foot fall. Not that it would have mattered for the noise was great for such a small building. Elwen weaved her way though the many people and found her way to the crowded bar.

[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 12-28-2002, 05:11 PM   #453
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elanor was awakened by the sudden noise of new arrivals in the inn. What am I doing already getting ready for bed? She wondered. I told the inn keeper I'd help her . . . She pulled her dress back on, and ran down the stairs towards her, holding her new apron under one arm.

Miss Pio was talking to a stranger when Elanor got there, so she stood to the side, waiting, wishing she had a book or two on hand.
Old 12-28-2002, 06:56 PM   #454
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

Eruantalon laughed and enjoyed the company and then stood up to his full hight.He proceeded to remove the weapons and the satchel from his back.

"Hello good stranges I see many wanders and tighered spirts here I have a song that will make even the wearyest draw strength anew"He spoke calmly.

"I am Eruantalon in the speach of the Noldar it is gift of Eru I give gifts to all that need them in dark time and in light" he trailed off.

"This song is played apon a instrument of the Maier of the valar and the song I sing is sung in Lorien where all may find peace even the valar,and was taught to me by the servent of Lorien"Eruantalon said with a smile

"It is raught with the beauty of the blessed realm and will give peace to all"he said as he smiled.

"it is a gift in return for the pericious elvin drink that was so happely given to me and with it the strenth to sing"he said now brightly and joyously.

As Eruantalon sang slowly a hush was apon the crowd until he began to play on his instrument the sound of it was gentle but the note of it rang out into the entire building.So that even the floor gently shuddered as he played.

He raised his voice and the light of the fire grew so bright that it turned white and in the inn it was as if a fair spring day was in its noon time.The whole of the room was filled with the smell of fragrent flowers like a meadow.

Now none that where outside stayed there all where drawen in to the sound of the fair music all hearts where lightened of there burden and peace was given for a time while he sang.So that even the ground itself under there feet felt warm in the light of Eruantalons song.

As he played the unseen ring apon his finger seemed to be set on fire.In his eyes was great joy and laughter and a smile of joy was on his face.So that even his eyes shone brightly.

So he sang and in the minds of all there the meadow the stream the vallys and mountains where all in there thoughts.His poetry and music took all pain from everyone there and they where inchanted by him so that none even knew where they where but in the fair place of his song.

And at the end of it more time had passed then anyone had realized.Then slowly the light of the song dimed and faded so that the inn was as it once was.None talked but only smiled and sat quitly as he gathered his thing togther and light another pipe full of weed.

He then said to the elves besides him that after his smoke he should find some sleep.So he sat as one of them said.............................................. ........................................
Old 12-28-2002, 07:11 PM   #455
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

The elf become calmer as the song weaved through her. She forgot about all her troubles and she found herself in a world of bliss.

"Do you know many songs like that?" she asked after the man had finished and sat down."It was very beautiful."

[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Carlas ]
Old 12-28-2002, 07:30 PM   #456
Merri
Wight

Silmaril

Elanor was immediately captivated by the singer. She had seen or heard nothing like him before in her life, and wondered if she ever would again.

She stood beside the innkeeper, unnoticed for the time being, immersed in the supreme joy that music brought her. Her eyes were closed, and one might have thought that the hobbit had fallen asleep on her feet. She awoke and looked directly into the singer's eyes.

"That was beautiful," She said, then smiled her lopsided smile. "Music is the greatest gift given to Middle Earth."

[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 12-28-2002, 08:35 PM   #457
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

Warmth entered Eruantalons face I know all the songs of the blessed realm,the first born,the dwarfs, and men.Yes I know many song much like this they where taught to me by the Vanyar of the blessed realm.

That when Manwe bid them they sing.I also have added many of my own songs to there lists.For Manwe loves music more than any orther it is said.

"If it gives you such great joy I will make shure that any time I am near the green dragon I will stop by if I can" said he.

"Yes it is " he responded "is it not true that all is the music of Eru" Eruantalon replied.

"So was his gift to me to understand and love all that is in Arda and to rejoice in it with music.So for that I was given even more gifts made many times over to help all that need"Eruantalon said intensly.

As he smoked he intenly he said"It is my fate so if there are any true of hart who need help on great deeds I am ready and will"

"My great ax is mithril light as air,my sword was wrough by the Noldar befor the darking of the Valar,my bow was once used by the bowman of Gonlolin the fair elvin city that is no more"

"But I hail from Gondor but have traveled long to the blue mountains where I aided in the deed that gave me this ax."

As time war on he seemed weary and saw iin the faces of the orthers many questions.Some hid themself since the moment he entered.Some hid themselfs even before he entered.But he saw and felt no dark presnce here so he was no afraid lest anyone would take arms it would only cause pain.He did no see any reason for that.

But he hid himself not nor his weapons and welcomed all to his tabel and saw no reason not to go to orthers.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:18 PM   #458
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

1420!

Biffo Proudfoot, mustering his courage, finally made a move towards the strange wayfarer's table. Smiling stupidly and politely to the Elf-maiden as he went, Biffo addressed the man.

"Mind if I, er, sit down?" he asked, and without waiting for reply plonked himself down next to the minstrel, so that he could still see the door, the Elf and of course the all-important bar.

"Very fine stuff, sir, if I may say so. All too seldom are folk like yourself seen in The Shire. Reminded me of Elves, your song did. Yes... Elves, and mountains! To your health!" Biffo raised his tankard.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:53 PM   #459
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Rie had come immediately when Pio had told her that the stranger had indeed been talking about her. Before she could introduce herself, the man began to play on his instrument, and Rie found no words. Her heart swelled with joy and her green eyes danced as he played, and she felt a peace that she had not felt since long before she had left her father's house. She watched the man's face as he played, and it seemed that his face was transformed as he weaved the notes into a seamless tapestry. She hardly heard his words, but they touched her spirit. When he was done, the final note seemed to linger in the air, as though to seperate only gently the listener from the music. Rie would have laughed for pure joy, had anyone else been making any sound, but she contented herself with taking a deep breath (and the air itself seemed sweet after the song) and smiling. When the other patrons began to speak once more, she leapt from her seat and ran over to the singer's table. She waited patiently for the others who had gathered around him to speak, then she caught his eye and bowed low from the waist.

"My lord, please accept my sincerest thanks for your wonderful song. Never in my life have I heard anything so beautiful. You were speaking of me earlier, and you asked if I would like to hear a song. Lord, anything that you sing I would rejoice to hear! My thanks again, and the service of Talmérië daughter of Almarien, whatever aid that may bring you." Again Rie bowed, and with one last smile she went back to her seat, trying to capture the song and the stranger's voice in her memory forever.

[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 12-28-2002, 10:05 PM   #460
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

Euanalon warmly greated the hobbit"yes hello there it is a joy to give the song to you"he said.

"Ah yes mountains you say do you like them I just recently came from the blue mountains aiding the dwarf lords with there task.They lent me this fine ax for my duty and the strangest thing is at the nort eastern base of the mountain I found my pipe weed patch.It has been there for vary long and I make shure to gather some when I am near it.I know not who planted it there but it grow freely. It is the most fragrent but is strong yet mild to the taste and is my favorite.I make shure to get as much as I can whe I go would you like to try some"He said long windedly.

He the then offered the hobbit his pipe after he drew apon it.Take heed it is strong.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:06 PM   #461
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

1420!

Biffo gulped down his mouthful of ale, an impressed look upon his bright face.

"Well!" he excalaimed, in the general direction of the man seated next to him, "you are a popular one! P'rhaps I should've brought my little reed whistle with me! Maybe you should invite one of those Elf girls over!"

[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: doug*platypus ]
Old 12-28-2002, 10:15 PM   #462
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

1420!

"Why, yes, thank ye kindly sir!" Biffo said as he reached for the man's pipe. Taking a long, practiced draw, he exhaled slowly, a smile rising to his features. It was good. Not of course, the match for the Old Toady he had come into a week ago. Biffo still had a small amount of this in his pocket, but he made it his policy never to turn down a kind offer such as this man's. 'Pays not to cause offence,' he thought, 'after all that's a mighty sharp-looking axe!' Besides, Biffo was clearly interested in this fellow, and took the chance to talk.

"Ah, a very fine crop," Biffo said as he passed the pipe back. "The Blue Mountains, you say? Indeed? I'd really like to go there - see some Dwarves, perhaps. You, ah, wouldn't be going back anytime soon... would you?" Biffo now looked as eager and inquisitive, as he had been relaxed before.

[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: doug*platypus ]
Old 12-28-2002, 10:16 PM   #463
cheeto
Pile O'Bones

cheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Belle Proudfoot,a young hobbit ran through the door of the Inn. She was almost of age,
with thick, curly red hair. Strangely enough, she wore a nightgown and shorts.

"Biffo? Why are you smoking in the barn? We weren't expecting you to visit for a few days, and I didn't expect the other relatives to be so tall....but I'm sure I'll meet them in the morning..."

She walked over and sat at a table, then fell asleep. The ones that knew her didn't pay her much mind, since she had a terrible habit of sleepwalking! And as long as she didn't get into people's houses(the scandal of her breaking into Hilda Took's house was still being talked about), no one minded her strange ways.

After a rest,she heard a beautiful song and woke up. "Well, the music here is worth staying for. The Green Dragon? hmmm" She looked towards the bar. "I'll have my usual tea,and apologies for showing up at this hour, but if the music is always like this at this time,I should come more often."

She looked over at Biffo and said,"Hmmm, I guess he is visiting these parts."

(this didn't exactly paste the way I wanted it to,so pardon any new grammer mistakes)

[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: cheeto ]

Post edited for paragraphs --Cami

[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-28-2002, 10:22 PM   #464
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

ERUANTALON

Please check your private messages.

This space saved for re-worked post

Old 12-28-2002, 10:23 PM   #465
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

1420!

"Hallo there, Belle!" Biffo called across the room with a wave, "just come over from Frogmorton this very day! Nice to see you!"

"Gawh, not another blinking relative," he said, much more quietly, "can't even remember how we're related, there's so blinkin' many of 'em!"

He turned to the man next to him: "Sorry, sir, did you say something? Couldn't quite catch that! Oh, by the way where are my manners! I'm Biffo. Biffo Proudfoot, of Frogmorton, mostly." he stood and extended his hand.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:54 PM   #466
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami was a small but determined hobbit who insisted that the visitors to the Inn be careful about the rules.

On seeing that Biffo and Eruantalon were engaging in a series of chat-style posts, she went over to their tables and glared at them.

"If you want to chat, go to the chatroom. This is a place for real writing. Go look at the rules in the Red Book of Westmarch. I know both of you can do better than this."

Meanwhile, both of you are sentenced to washing dishes, and if I see any more posts like this, we'll wave a magic wand and they'll mysteriously disappear.

She led them back into the kitchen where mounds and mounds of dishes awaited their attention.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:24 PM   #467
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

Eruantalon seeing he had done wrong by the inn was suddenly taken to the kitchen.He was not offended or upset but quitly wash all that was given to him.So work of this kind would not upset him he worked or was he to proud to do tigherlessly.While he did so he sang a song to pass the time.

Beauty was seen by the sea.
She walked along so tigherlessly.

As stars did fade and daylight broke.

Her hart was set warm and ever free.
To walk among the ever green.

So fair her eyes like billows of smoke.

So in here face the light that did shine.
Our fate like willow roots will ever intwine.

She was the daught of the white water folk.

My story and heres the end is not clear for so long it is since I'v seen dear windamere.

So he sang untill his work was complete.But he was vary tighersome.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:19 AM   #468
Schmendrick
Wight

Sting

The pale stranger was already walking reluctantly to the stables, when he heard some music from the Inn.

It wasn't like any music he had heard before. He stood still, unable to move and felt the music fill his heart with a longing and grief almost unbearable.

It seemed to him that the whole world had stopped to listen. No birds could be heard, even the wind was resting.

What was the song about, he could not tell. To him it spoke of many forgotten things, but this time he felt the hope rise in his heart.

For a moment he forgot all his troubles, all the long solitary years behind him and he felt as he was just a young boy, the future spreading bright ahead of him, full of adventures and possibilities.

At that moment the music stopped. He felt the weight returning to his body, pulling him down against the ground. Great was his desire to cry, when he remembered again where he was and above all- who he was.

He watched the stars again and remembered his stay with the Elves. For a fleeting moment he played with the idea of returning to them.

"You know you can't do that. You have made yourself another promise and to that you must hold," he said to himself, as he walked toward the Inn, like in a dream.

He was determined now to go back. What a fool he had been to rush out like that! No doubt had he offended the young woman greatly! And yet, she might have been able to help him.

He opened the door and slipped back inside, taking a seat next to the door. "That's right, hide in the shadows, if you want company", he said bitterly to himself. "No one will even notice you here!"

But the habit of hiding was deeply rooted in him.

[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Schmendrick ]

Old 12-29-2002, 07:21 AM   #469
Dark Shadow
Wight

Dark Shadow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Perhaps." he replied quietly. He nodded his head slightly, lifted his cup to meet hers, and a real smile formed for the first time in ages. Pio was certainly resilient. She wasn’t going to give up easily. That was somewhat a comfort to him, knowing that someone cared enough not to give up on him. He looked at her studying her as he had done to many of the patrons. She had a sense of kindness about her, she was kind and firm. Obviously not someone to argue with, not that he had any intentions of arguing with anyone.

“I thank you again,” he said calmly, “for you have treated me well ever since I entered your inn. It is very much appreciated, despite what you may have been led to believe by my somewhat hostile manner.” His laugh was quiet, and had an unused sound to it. Slightly faded, as though it had once been as Pio’s, light and beautiful, but had become diminished over the years.

He began to wonder just how long it would be before questions begun again, but was suddenly pressed to ask,

“Who is she? The one who has just re-entered the inn.” He nodded towards the young Elf who seemed less than innocent. “Although I am not one to question the doings of others I should greatly like to know of her and her purpose.”

[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Dark Shadow ]
Old 12-29-2002, 09:22 AM   #470
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

As before people seemed to not notice Elwen, sitting quietly on her stool. A gentle smile spread across her face. This time it didn't bother her. Her passing friend had taken the sorrow she had felt with him.

The music moments before had reminded her of memories long forgotten, memories of before her fall. When she had been but a simple star maiden, a guide to the spirits tied to Arda. How her heart leaped to think of such times, times when she had played in the heavens and watch the movements of many.

Elwen felt like she should share with the company gathered her favourite song, but there were presents in the pub that were not joyful as she was. the voices of their thoughts echoed in the still air of the pub. Elwen took a deep breath and stood up.

"Though many may like to sit quietly unnoticed in corners, I think it is high time that the company was once more made merry. Too many hide in shadow and slip here and there in dark and gloom. Come my friends will you not dance and sing at least for a while?"

Elwen looked around the crowded room but caught no one's eye. Elwen laughed softly, like the light of a clouded moon it seem, brilliant but hidden from total view. Her light grew about her, shining and shimmering.

"Well then if no one else will, I shall have to take the honour to myself!" Elwen moved, quick and silent to the centre of the room.

Dance all ye joyful, now dance altogether
The wind's in the treetops, the wind's in the heather.
The stars are in blossom, the moon is in flower
And bright of the windows of night in her tower

Sing all ye joyful, now sing altogether
Soft is the grass and let foot be like feather
The river is silver, the shadows are fleeting
Merry is May time and merry are meeting.

Elwen gave a little bow but didn't step away instead she reveiled a small silver flute. Delicate and slender, with the marks of vines and leaves twirling slowly around it.

"Though the master of this instrument is gone he taught me well and though my skill will never be as his I will play for the memories bring me joy."

Elwen ran delicate fingers down the flute. Gently setting the flute to her mouth Elwen began to play. Her favourite piece the first she had ever heard played upon this instrument. Like long ago the music twisted and twirled, like smoke it intangled the heart and mind, leaving no space unfilled.

The music worked on Elwen too. Her delicate elven feet began to move, the steps taught to her by Nostawen, the fair maiden that Elwen had met in Mirkwood. The steps were quick and nimble even for the feet work of elven songs. The Joy filled Elwen's heart, the joy increase the light that surrounded Elwen. Now she could no longer hide for her light shone forth with all the glory of the heavens. It burned white with edges of pale blue, a gentle star maiden upon the earth.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:47 AM   #471
Rai

Silmaril

Jatyn heard the music, beautiful and lulling, and looked up. She could tell it was Elven, not unlike her own songs. She, too, had a song to sing.

Standing,she cleared her throat and waited for the attention to be focused on her. Finding none, she began to sing. Her voice was soprano, yet retained an alto's darkness. The words were in a language she had made up, but it spoke of war and peace, night and day.

Edited into paragraphs - nice post!

Old 12-29-2002, 12:40 PM   #472
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

As he washed the last of the dishes Eurantalon saw the inn keeper enter the kitchen.She seemed to pay no more mind than to notice he was done.

"What fair music I hear outside and dancing none the less"he said slowly.

"I guess if I had payed more mind to the rules of the inn I would not be so tighered and want to join them"as he said this he took out two golden coins.

"I hope that this will pay for a room and the food I have recieved"he said as he yawned.

So he made his way off to a room gathering all of his belongings from the kitchen floor.So he made ready for bed as be began to close his eyes he thoght that maby an adventure might come his way tommarow,and hopefrully it did not have dish washing in it.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:53 PM   #473
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

The young elf sat for a time, enjoying the music that swam all about her. Eventually, she became tired and decided to find a room for the night.

She stood up and walked over to the innkeeper and asked her if there were any rooms available. There were, so she paid the innkeeper and walked silently to her room.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:58 PM   #474
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Though she had once more drifted off and was paying no heed to the happenings around her, Rie snapped back to the Inn and smiled broadly at the new song. "This is a night for music!" she said softly, and rose slowly from her seat and began to dance.

It was a simple dance, taught to her by her mother, but it was graceful and fit the music. Had she been watching the Elven maiden who was playing the music and dancing herself, Rie probably would not have danced, because Elwen's steps were much more beautiful, as was fitting for one of the Eldar. But for herself, Rie was dancing well and joyfully, and her joy overshadowed her relative lack of skill. Her face was flushed with excitement, and though she danced in the shadows so as not to distract attention from the musician she was glowing with joy. "A night for music, and for joy!" Rie said aloud, and laughed.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:22 PM   #475
Schmendrick
Wight

Sting

Durmán - that was the stranger's name- closed his eyes, when the music began again.

Different, more joyful this time, it swept away the very last traces of the dark thoughts from his mind.

He started humming quietly and felt a smile spread over his face.

"It's like magic", he thought. "There's nothing that can heal you like the music of the Elves."
Old 12-29-2002, 02:13 PM   #476
beckers

Boots

The stranger smiled,and was lost deep in thought. The music swept him off to a land he had left long ago. A land of rich green, grassy hills and cool, clear streams.

The music stopped and shaken from his reverie, the stranger looked up. He rose from his seat and acquired a room for the night. He retired upstairs to the room, while the music began again and the merryment went on below.

Banakil - nice post! I have broken it into the required two paragrphs per Shire writing rules. Please see the Red Book of Westmarch - the first topic in the Shire -- Thanks, Pio

Old 12-29-2002, 02:23 PM   #477
beckers

Silmaril

A fair-haired, tall man with deep brown eyes arose from his table where a pint of ale and a block of cheese sat.

"Greetings, Ithilelen. My name is Thorondor. I would gladly give you direction, but to where?"

Ithilelen sighed. "Ah, but the answer to that I do not know. There is a place, a location undefined, that I must visit. All I know is that I must go to a rich green hill with a hand of darkness atop it."

Thorondor hesitated, then began to speak again. "There is one place that may be, but I dare not speak its name aloud." He leaned forward and spoke quietly in her ear, "There is one place-the Slopes of Deep. Atop a rich green hill, there is a large black stone in the shape of a clutching hand. It is said to have been formed by...a being of pure evil."

Ithilelen widened her eyes, and said firmly "That is my destination."

Thorondor sighed, and replied "Then that is where I will take you."

Old 12-29-2002, 02:28 PM   #478
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Before the young elf could make her way to her room, Pio had called her back to the table where she sat with the fair haired wanderer. 'Before you claim your room, I would know your name.' She raised her eyebrows at the girl who stood before her, waiting. 'Or at least, some name, by which I might introduce you to my table companion.'

She nodded toward the man seated across from her, noting his discomfort as she drew more attention to him. Pio stood, frowning slightly, and drew the young elf by a motion of her hand into the vacant chair.

'I know not his name, either, or I would introduce you, one to the other. Perhaps you two can work that out between you - I shall leave this flask and cups to lift your spirits and loosen your tongues.'

She smiled at both of them, and withdrew, taking Elanor by the hand. 'I see you are awake yet, and ready for work!' she laughed, pulling her toward the center of the room where some brave patrons were dancing to the Elven tunes. 'But first, let us enjoy the music while we can, and join the dance . . .'
Old 12-29-2002, 03:32 PM   #479
cheeto
Pile O'Bones

cheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Belle finished her tea and was soon dancing. She saw into the kitchen where Biffo was finishing a sink of pots and pans.

"You know," she said, sitting next to a nearby elf, "that's my cousin in there on my mother's side...or is it my father's?Nevermind, he's always doing dishes when he visits."

She glanced over at Pio. "You should check the dishes - he couldn't do them right if he wanted to. Mother always makes me wash behind him."

She looked back towards the elf and lowered her voice. "He always does them because he always gets in trouble. You should hear about the last time he had to do dishes - I didn't even need to wash after him! Why,he was so frightened,he did them three times until they were right!...I'm sorry miss, what did you say your name was? I'm Belle!"

Cheeto - please check your PM's

Old 12-29-2002, 03:46 PM   #480
Merri
Wight

Silmaril

"I see you are awake yet, and ready for work!" Miss Pio laughed, pulling Elanor toward the center of the room where some brave patrons were dancing to the Elven tunes. "But first, let us enjoy the music while we can, and join the dance . . ."

"Oh," Elanor began, flustered. "But I'm afraid I don't know how to dance very well . . . books don't often make good dancing partners. I could add in a song or two of my own, perhaps, but after the wonderful singing we've had, I don't think anybody would want to hear a little hobbit's songs."

As Elanor spoke, she took a couple of steps away from the dacers. Even though she had been to plenty of birthday parties in the Shire and there had been no lack of dancing there, she was still terrified of the practice, and chose to avoid it as much as possible. Instead, she was always on hand to provide a song or a story to any willing listeners.

[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Merri ]