The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-09-2004, 01:40 PM   #681
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwende
Finally, davem if you read this, where did you get coffee-caramel tobacco from, as it sounds great. Once made whisky tobacco, but it was rather smelly, and a waste of good Glenfiddich, ahem. Not that I'm condoning smoking, kids...
Most tobacconists sell it - James Barber's is a good source on line. They also sell some nice pipes, including 'Churchwardens' (long stemmed pipes).
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:17 PM   #682
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Quote:
Most tobacconists sell it - James Barber's is a good source on line. They also sell some nice pipes, including 'Churchwardens' (long stemmed pipes).
An online tobacconists? What a good idea! Surprisingly, for a Northern city, there are no tobacconists left around here.

Sorry for the diversion here, by the way. I suppose it's just a little 'smoke break'.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:26 PM   #683
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
... tall and wiry, and likes outdoor pursuits, e.g. hiking, climbing and so on when he gets the time.
Doh! There goes the coffee all over the screen again!

I wish ...
Old 11-09-2004, 02:45 PM   #684
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

*Hands Saucepan Man a cloth*

What I have learned from all of this is that some of us 'Downers might be good at picking up the teeniest little details from Tolkien, but we are not, perhaps, quite so good at picking up things about each other. Still, it makes me laugh on a regular basis...

Shall I try the opposite? You have spent much time within reputable hostelries building up a finely crafted 'Nature's Tea Tray' and have a close relationship with the sofa?
Old 11-09-2004, 04:40 PM   #685
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Kudos to Mr. Fordim Hedgethistle for a very fine job of resurrecting the fun of this thread!

Like davem, I tend not to create mental images of the people here. Still and all, though, sometimes a Downer is so unique in his or her posting style and form of argument and particular point of view, that a picture comes willnilly into my mind, particularly when he or she rather adamently refuses to concede any of my points. except in comments when he or see reps me.

davem is one such Downer to me. While he says he is not bearded, I do see him as somewhat Druidic, striding purposefully with long legs in a way that makes him appear talker than he is. His hair flows, unless it is tied back and for some reason a receding hairline seems to go with that pipe of which he speaks. If he wears jeans, I bet he also wears Army surplus boots--something nononsense but not punk. Does he carry around his beloved copies of Tolkien in a leather satchel? Only, I think, to 'Moots. I am willing to bet he could wear any hat he wanted to and wear it with aplomb. Does he wear any jewellry? This is the question. Perhaps if it bears some affinity to something Anglo Saxon or Scandinavian. No Rings though!

And now on to Imladris, about whom I haven't the faintest idea concerning hair colour and eye colour. But I think she moves with speed and grace, covering the ground rapidly like a cat or a cloud. She has sharp eyes and speaks very directly, no mumbling for her or hesitation. I wouldn't think her lips are full, but they could be and she simply purses them to make them appear thinner. I bet that photographs of her are deceptive; she is more striking in person than in print. And no, I don't think she has a zig zag scar on her forehead.

What Imadris does have is a clever imagination. How could she have guessed that there are several aspects to Bethberry ? If only she could see my writing room and my garden! Perhaps somehow she has . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imladris
On the one hand I see a slim woman perched behind a desk that is drowning in the middle of the library, where tomes are piled on end. She wears spectacles that insist on sliding off the end of her nose, and she scribbles furiously across the paper, filling the paper with witty words. Brown hair shot with blonde tumbling down her shoulders...

On the other hand I picture her as something like a human faerie...dancing through the woods, robed in green...with glimmering golden hair.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:46 PM   #686
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Lalwendë, I'd stick with the Glenfiddich, neat.

In terms of swapping descriptions-- I'm rather fond of the one I got! Maybe because the more I dress like a hobbit (in the winter, anyway) the more I get mistaken for an elf. Them's the breaks. Child would say it must be the Fallohide blood; maybe I'm a Lorien throwback. Pass the mushrooms, please.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:09 PM   #687
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
1420!

Quote:
You have spent much time within reputable hostelries building up a finely crafted 'Nature's Tea Tray' and have a close relationship with the sofa?
I couldn't possibly comment ...
Old 11-09-2004, 06:10 PM   #688
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morai
It's amazing (and occasionally scary) what my muses can think up.

Hehehe....nothing like mixups in gender to brighten up my foggy day.

Anyway here's another:
The Ka: I see you as a person that walks around in a whiteish/gray cloak. You have platinium blonde hair and icy blue eyes. The hair is usually spiked and on occasion you put red tips on them. Your silent-brooding personality sometimes frightens people, but once they get to know you they like you a lot.

I wonder if I am too mysterious for people to guess about me.
WRONG!!! ha ha! What? do you think i'm Gandalf?! but as for the personality part, very good. Your physical guess... really bad. i walk around in my black/maroon cloak. and i do not have "platinum blonde" hair... i hiss at those people in Seattle but, i do love to tinker with my hair. Scorpio. really think about it. As for my eyes, close but go darker.

hope this helps others.

Last edited by THE Ka; 11-09-2004 at 06:16 PM.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 06:52 PM   #689
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Pipe Random title anyone?

Quote:
but as for the personality part, very good. Your physical guess... really bad.
Whew...that's a relief. Usually my physical descriptions are frightenly accurate. This is a nice change, and no I don't see you being Gandalf. You, I think look much younger, twenties perhaps. I meant platinum blonde hair, not silver/gray.
Quote:
Scorpio. really think about it.
Meh, I'm not a big follower of astrology. Though I do know my own sign in both Greek and Chinese. (Not that I'll ever voluntarily tell anyone.)

Guess I'm still eluding people on my identity....
Old 11-09-2004, 08:09 PM   #690
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
slightly, but I'll give it a shot.
Morai....
She (you are female, right? Kind of hard to tell. If not, tell me and I'll amend this rather radically) has long black hair, about 6" past her shoulders. She has a way of looking classy whether she's working in her somewhat massive garden or attending an orchestra concert. She's outgoing, but needs time far from the madding crowd.

That's all I can see. How'd I do?
Old 11-09-2004, 08:39 PM   #691
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Quote:
Ooooh have either of you seen 'Almost Famous'?

*huggls that movie*
No, but I've heard of it somewhere before...
Old 11-09-2004, 11:08 PM   #692
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bb
And now on to Imladris, about whom I haven't the faintest idea concerning hair colour and eye colour. But I think she moves with speed and grace, covering the ground rapidly like a cat or a cloud. She has sharp eyes and speaks very directly, no mumbling for her or hesitation. I wouldn't think her lips are full, but they could be and she simply purses them to make them appear thinner. I bet that photographs of her are deceptive; she is more striking in person than in print. And no, I don't think she has a zig zag scar on her forehead.
I love the way you picture me so I shan't ruin your image with the truth... I will say you're dead on that photographs are deceptive, however. And thanks for that I have a clever imagination...*blush*

Quote:
she's around 17, and is quite shy, but has a small group of really good friends. She can be serious, and loves reading, and she sometimes wears those ribbons and badges for good causes. She wears contacts. She has short red hair and is of average height.
How did you know I was 17 and shy and...*repetes what you just said* Alas and to my great sadness, I do not have red hair. *sobs* I did use to wear contacts though...

Boromir88 I picture as a...well, bluntly put... a nerd...and I mean that in a good way, a compliment...I picture you as hunched over your computer, long shaggy (reddish) hair brushing the rims of your glasses...analytical war books scattered around the room...geeky comics pasted on the walls...

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:26 PM   #693
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
White-Hand

Quote:
Whew...that's a relief. Usually my physical descriptions are frightenly accurate. This is a nice change, and no I don't see you being Gandalf. You, I think look much younger, twenties perhaps. I meant platinum blonde hair, not silver/gray.

Meh, I'm not a big follower of astrology. Though I do know my own sign in both Greek and Chinese. (Not that I'll ever voluntarily tell anyone.)

Hmm... twenties you say? Well, i will not say anything except, you are not anywhere close with the age. Only that, you need to keep guessing with a unusual concept in mind. maybe then...
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:13 AM   #694
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Alas and to my great sadness, I do not have red hair. *sobs*
Well, being a child with red hair is not always a blessing. Going by the alternate name of 'duracell' until I was about 8 was not nice, but thankfully from then on it darkened to a more mahogany tone. And remember, there's not need to be sad for it's easy to be a fake redhead.

Someone I had imagined to have very dark red hair was davem, but it appears I was wrong. I think Bethberry may be another redhead, as Mithalwen may be, too. I think it's the sparky temperament. I know it all too well myself.

I don't really draw up too many mental images of people's appearances, but some 'Downers do come through strongly, mainly where they remind me of other people. What I do often get strong images of though, is people's personalities, whether they are outgoing or shy, if they are sitting at a messy desk, what kind of thing they may be wearing. It's such fun to guess though...
Old 11-10-2004, 12:40 PM   #695
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Now...
Mithalwen - has regular haircuts and likes to look neat and tidy in the daytime, but she does like the odd biscuit so she's forever checking her clothes for traces of crumbs. She sometimes wears glasses, especially when doing work on the computer, and she certainly wasn't happy about it when the optician recommended her for them. She really does have two sides to her as at home she likes to wear floaty, beautiful clothes, but nothing luridly patterned. Her laugh is ringing, especially after a few glasses of wine.

this .. isn't bad ..... but I have never been to a proper hairdresser in my life and so my idea of regular haircuts is lopping the straglier ends off with my desk scissors. So when I "scrub up" I tend to put my hair up. How I dress during the day depends on the type of office I am working in - but I am one of those people who find smart casual a strain so I find a formal office has its advantages.. but is true the clothing of choice is diametrically opposed to the "suited and booted" look ..I scour the sale bargain rails of the GHOST outlet store to find lovely gauzy garments that I can afford.... It is also true that I find it hard to maintain the pristine look... My shirts are coffee magnets and untuck themselves .. my natural state is possibly to look like I have been "dragged through a hedge backwards" despite my best efforts. And yes.... I never get drunk anymore... but a few glasses of wine, especially with a good meal and good friends is one of the great pleasures of life for me. another good strike (unless you have trawled back very thoroughly) is the hair ..... not true red but naturally "almost titian" (dark strawberry blonde - so bad tempered and stupid ) now alas synthetically reproduced, having acquired my first grey hairs at 17

My eysight is perpetually on the point of needing glasses - one eye is much stronger than the other becasue I never wore the ones Iwas prescribed as a child - but I got away with artificial tears last time (I do find VDU a strain) ...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 02:06 PM   #696
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Thumbs up

Quote:
but I have never been to a proper hairdresser in my life and so my idea of regular haircuts is lopping the straglier ends off with my desk scissors.
I'm the same. It makes me laugh, because I get compliments on the one thing I spend no time on caring for. Meh. It's good to have at least one thing to feel smug about. Though it needs washing every day or else I wake up looking like a flaming medusa, literally, although some may say more like the Balrog of Moria...not just in appearance.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:46 PM   #697
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Imladris, I will say I do have some war books scattered around the house , and was voted as "most likely to succeed" my senior year, whether that would classify me as a nerd, who knows. Well, I think the old corny, out of date jokes sort of leans me more towards the nerdy side as well .

Imladris , I picture you with jet black hair, big build, about 6'3. You are, or were, a football play in highschool, played maybe HB, or FB. You were also PF in basketball, you are, or were definately that athletic type in highschool.

Fordhim and Davem, could you tell me if I was right with the brittish accent bit? I just picture you two with brittish accents.

"I want my bloody money back!"
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 06:02 PM   #698
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Silmaril The Essence of this title is Random

Quote:
She (you are female, right? Kind of hard to tell. If not, tell me and I'll amend this rather radically) has long black hair, about 6" past her shoulders. She has a way of looking classy whether she's working in her somewhat massive garden or attending an orchestra concert. She's outgoing, but needs time far from the madding crowd.
I am fact a "she", it would help if I could find an avatar, but lately I haven't found any of the right size. Thank goodness I haven't had one of Elijah Wood in a while, for that would only lead you in the wrong direction. I wouldn't consider my hair long, but it would be if I was a guy. I like the idea of black hair, so you can keep that image if you like. I must have a classy essence, because people keep guessing such (not that I mind.) I usually perfer Rock concerts to orchestra, but I did attend one a couple weeks ago and I will attend my mother's in the comming months. I do have a massive Iris garden, but I share it with my parents. Its wonderful to garden in the rain, I'll recomend it to anyone. As for classy looking and outgoing, it depends where I am.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:07 PM   #699
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

Quote:
Hehehe....nothing like mixups in gender to brighten up my foggy day.
Amen to that!

Nimmy
Old 11-10-2004, 07:28 PM   #700
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Scribbles madly away....scrunched paper on the floor

Quote:
I think Bethberry may be another redhead, as Mithalwen may be, too. I think it's the sparky temperament. I know it all too well myself.
Sparky, now? "Bethberry"'s first appearance in a Middle-earth role involved copper hair, so you've hit on something, Lalwendë I must say though that I lack your skill with the desk scissors.

Quote:
posted by Lalwendë
I don't really draw up too many mental images of people's appearances, but some 'Downers do come through strongly, mainly where they remind me of other people. What I do often get strong images of though, is people's personalities, whether they are outgoing or shy, if they are sitting at a messy desk, what kind of thing they may be wearing. It's such fun to guess though...
Oh indeed. And if you were to use, habitually, an old quill pen and ink well, I would see you with a perpetually inked finger, possibly with nails bitten short, but not to the quick. For some reason I imagine you write in a small, round hand, no flourishes. But as to leather satchel or backback/rucksack, I cannot decide. You dress smartly rather than romantically but your comment about Damien Hirsch's art might have led me astray there.

And as to Mithalwen, well. Black wardrobe, but a beatnik or ballet black style rather than goth. Tallish and slender, with a Jane Austen propensity for a sharp social eye. I have a black bouclé three-quarter length sweater in mind that I can see you wearing, maybe with scarves and an angora hat, not a beret but a round hat with a tall crown. There's something rather Cheshire catish about you too.

Son of Numenor is well-muscled yet trim. He moves with an air of assurance. He's privileged and he knows it and he both is proud of that fact and very much aware of the burden it entails. He wouldn't be caught dead in Tommy Hilfinger, much less Hugo Boss, although he could carry that off if he wanted to. There are a fair number of sandal, sneakers and walking shoes in his closet and he probably owns more than one pair of swimming trunks.

I have had so much fun writing this. I almost feel as if I am creating characters for RPGs here.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:20 PM   #701
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe maximize the attachment when you're directed to open it...

Saucepan Man: A man of genuis, though often hidden by his somewhat odd appearance. He always wears a cotton longsleeve shirt that is tattered & torn, rarely wears shoes, but sometimes knee-high socks, wears long 'cargo' shorts & allows his hair to grow almost as much as my friend's hair (now you can see the attachment ). Naturally, he always wears a saucepan on his head; &, like everyone else, keeps tabs on what's 'in'. He started with the handle facing forwards (like a typical baseball hat), then adjusted it to the side, now he's done a complete 180 from his original style & wears his pan 'backwards'. He makes ridiculous one-handed turn-around-fade-away jumpshots look easy in all the basketball pickup games & never needs a batting helmet when he plays baseball (the pan was always good enough for him). But he never was very good at stealthy games such as 'Capture the Flag.' Everone could hear the pan rattling as he made a mad dash for the oposing team's flag & they'd all yell "There goes Saucy!" at the top of their lungs. Despite his considerable age (), he still continues to play sports & capture the flag, when he's not busy on the downs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Riley.jpg (96.3 KB, 298 views)

Last edited by The Only Real Estel; 11-10-2004 at 08:24 PM.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:12 AM   #702
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir
Fordhim and Davem, could you tell me if I was right with the brittish accent bit? I just picture you two with brittish accents.
Well, I have a Yorkshire accent - think Sean Bean, who comes from Sheffield, about twenty miles from where I was born.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 05:33 AM   #703
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Well, I have a Yorkshire accent
Oh, how utterly perfect. That is just the accent I would have selected for you davem. Heretofore, I will know how to read your posts!

As for myself, while I was -- by my best reckoning -- conceived in Sheffield, I was born and bred in Canada: the Ottawa Valley to be exact. As a result I have the generic Canadian accent with the bit of local dialect not driven from me by my education.

Here is a crude sample of my accent.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:11 AM   #704
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Well, I have a Yorkshire accent - think Sean Bean, who comes from Sheffield, about twenty miles from where I was born.
Quote:
As for myself, while I was -- by my best reckoning -- conceived in Sheffield
Scary coincidences, I live there. I don't have the accent, not unless I talk to a fellow Lancastrian, who will then inform me that I do have it. While Yorkshire folk always pick up on my Lancastrian accent and ask me to stop 'singing'.

Quote:
Oh indeed. And if you were to use, habitually, an old quill pen and ink well, I would see you with a perpetually inked finger, possibly with nails bitten short, but not to the quick. For some reason I imagine you write in a small, round hand, no flourishes. But as to leather satchel or backback/rucksack, I cannot decide. You dress smartly rather than romantically but your comment about Damien Hirsch's art might have led me astray there.
I'm a very 'inky' kind of person, as I'm naturally quite messy - I gather dinner medals, cat hairs and stains very quickly! Plus I write notes on my hand. But my handwriting is a strained, spidery type of copper plate - we were expected to use it at primary school, but alas I did not have the patience to learn to handwrite perfectly, I was probably too busy talking. As for being smart, well...my mother would laugh at that one. She must have thought when she finally had a girl that she could indulge in the urge to buy 'girlie' things and what she actually got was this wild little banshee who would come home covered in all kinds of nasty stuff, having spent the day in a ditch or up a tree.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:12 AM   #705
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree Random Titles look awesome

Quote:
I have had so much fun writing this. I almost feel as if I am creating characters for RPGs here.
I have no doubt some of them would make great characters. Too bad I don't have time for RPGs anymore. Since I don't think I've described you yet, here it goes:
Bethberry: I've always imgagined you with medium length rusty brunnette hair that you kept in a bun. For special occasions you wear elegant flowing dresses, but most of the time you'll settle for blouses and trousers. Oddly, I can see you sitting at your typewriter thinking up ideas when the sun sets in the west.
Quote:
Amen to that!
Nimmy: Longer than shoulder length hair and greeish blue eyes. You have copper freckles all over your cheeks and arms. White and green are some of your favorite colors. Since you have a bubbily personality, it doesn't take you too long to make new friends. When/ If your in class you like pass notes to your companions, always coming up with new techniques to get them passed the teacher.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:07 AM   #706
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
I usually perfer Rock concerts to orchestra
So do I, but I attend orchestra concerts occasionally... my parents drag me. I usually don't mind much once I'm there.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:21 PM   #707
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Son of Numenor: I have to admit my mental image of you is your avatar. Same hair, same look on your face most of the time; so I guess I'll just have to create your other details here . SoN is not that into horror movies, he doesn't see the point of being scared, but does like most of the PG-13 action movies along the lines of the Bourne movies, Pirates of the Caribbean, & obviously LotR. He has nothing to do with any of the tobacco that's been mentioned formerly in this thread, but I could easily see a cigarette being edited into his avatar (he doesn't smoke, but it still fits my 'avatar image' of him). Looks very 'Matrixy' in black sunglasses & a black leather trenchcoat. Doesn't have a great hand for art, but he's pretty decent at drawing. Listens to a little music, but not much. Has considered growing a goatee before, but never followed through on it.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:54 PM   #708
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up Almost, Morai.

You were right on everything except greenish blue eyes and freckles on cheeks. Good job!
Old 11-11-2004, 09:33 PM   #709
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Fordim: Well, it's pretty much set in stone that he must be a professor. But he's also got a Canadian accent (as he already said), wears smallish, rectangular glasses, & still plays Indiana Jones when he thinks nobody's looking (or when he's so desperate for a bit of Jones' adventures that he doesn't care if anyone sees him or not ).

Last edited by The Only Real Estel; 11-11-2004 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:25 PM   #710
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
And as to Mithalwen, well. Black wardrobe, but a beatnik or ballet black style rather than goth. Tallish and slender, with a Jane Austen propensity for a sharp social eye. I have a black bouclé three-quarter length sweater in mind that I can see you wearing, maybe with scarves and an angora hat, not a beret but a round hat with a tall crown. There's something rather Cheshire catish about you too.

Bethberry, I love you forever for mentioning me in the same sentence as a rather more illustrious Hampshire woman. Yes, I have a lot of black in my wardrobe but NOT goth. Tallish? 5"10 ..so tall unless in Brobdingnag. Slender .... alas no, (but curves can be good ) I am desperately looking for a new sweater and that sounds very nice ... I adore hats and scarves (especially my precious pashminas) and today's are pink to "lift" the black. The hat is wool and round but I also have a corduroy cap, a black felt one which has yet to make a public appearance and many, many more...

Being a grin without a cat perhaps!!! (ALthough a certain downer did offer to remedy my catless state......!)

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:01 PM   #711
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Only Real Estel
Fordim: Well, it's pretty much set in stone that he must be a professor. But he's also got a Canadian accent (as he already said), wears smallish, rectangular glasses, & still plays Indiana Jones when he thinks nobody's looking (or when he's so desperate for a bit of Jones' adventures that he doesn't care if anyone sees him or not ).
Oh my goodness! Now I know that I am being stalked, and for real! How Estel managed to seize control of those CIA spy satellites I'll never know!
Old 11-12-2004, 05:54 PM   #712
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Quoting a Random title is in fact random

Quote:
So do I, but I attend orchestra concerts occasionally... my parents drag me. I usually don't mind much once I'm there.
Well, my parents dragged me to a Youth Symphony concert last spring, and I was bored out of my mind! Though the Bass concerto was interesting. (I didn't know they such a large range of pitch.) Don't get me wrong though, I also find most band concerts equally boring.
Since we've made small talk, I'll think you'll be my next victim:
Elrond's-Daughter: Because of your name, my description will be more fantastical rather than realistic. You have long cinnamon brown hair and greyish-blue eyes. Your big lips do nothing but compliment your narrow cheeks. They tend to be rosy from time from time, but not from makeup. I see you in long flowing robes and you love to walk around large gardens and think about times past and the future.

Quote:
You were right on everything except greenish blue eyes and freckles on cheeks. Good job!
Yay! That means I'm improving my personality guesses. Watchout everyone!
Quote:
Oh my goodness! Now I know that I am being stalked, and for real! How Estel managed to seize control of those CIA spy satellites I'll never know!
He probably hacked into the CIA computers to get the info, unless GASP! He's an agent! If not, well...we can only hope they don't take Estel's computer away.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:07 PM   #713
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

It's been a long time!

Mithalwen: For some strange reason, I have the same mental image of you as mark12_30...
Quote:
Blonde hair, blue eyes, very motherly, and has an infectious laugh.
But since she mentioned that she and Mister Underhill are twins...

Fordim and davem: You are twins in my imagination. Perhaps you should check your family trees. You might be related to each other...and to Tolkien (at least that's how I see it). Oh, and a pipe always comes to mind.

Boromir88: I was under the impression that you are a teenager! Albeit a more mature one.

Bethberry: One glance, and you would know she is a wise woman not to be reckoned with. Don't let the relatively shorter stature fool you--it carries an IQ of about 170. She has strong facial features, but I can't describe it precisely.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 11-14-2004 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Mithalwen=mark12_30 (in my head)
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 10:16 PM   #714
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tricksy Boromir88...

Quote:
Boromir88: I was under the impression that you are a teenager! Albeit a more mature one.
As did I, Lhunardawen! Since most of my friends and I were born in 1988, a lot of their screen names have an 88 somewhere in there... I just saw it and assumed, "Ok, so he was born then, too." I guess I was wrong!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:57 PM   #715
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

When I picture Encaitare, I see a girl with medium length darker brown hair, kind of tall, and with a very Elven appearance. Sometimes this Elf has a pirate hat on, which looks rather cool to my mind's eye. You are musically inclined, probably in a band outside of school. You are probably one of the cool people at school, and have a very eclectic group of friends.
Also, last but certainly not least, you have an uncanny ability to get into characters' heads when writing fanfiction.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:46 AM   #716
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril Imagine a random title....

It seems recent posters are always my latest victims of description:
Lhunardawen : I usually derive my mental images from a persons name, so here it goes. You have long silky black hair. It usually falls in front of your face, giving you a mysterious aura. On occasion you tend to slouch forward a little, but only because you're looking for interesting trinckets and/or money on the ground in front of you. You have a quiet, shy demeanor, but that doesn't keep you from chatting happily with close friends.

StarJewel: Again because of the name, here is what comes to mind: You seem to be Lhunardawen's complete opposite. Your hair is shiny platinum blonde and you have piercing ice cold eyes. Usually your stance is of a confident nature, as if you are performing before an audience. Your voice is high and clear, and easily gets the attention of those you are speaking to.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:37 PM   #717
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
I picture Encaitare as being a tall, slim gothish girl. She has medium length black hair with a layered cut. Stylish cat like black rimmed glasses that she twirls around her fingers when she's bored. Her eyes are a dark brown, bordering on black.

Though I believe I have seen a pic of The Saucepan Man on the Barrowdowns picture site (I could be mistaken -- I have an abysmal memory), I'll always picture him as tall and lanky, with a friendly clever grin.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:17 PM   #718
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
StarJewel--

Quote:
Sometimes this Elf has a pirate hat on, which looks rather cool to my mind's eye.
Gee, I wonder where you got that idea... I actually have a great fondness for fedoras. I've got a black fuzzy angora one, and a black one with a flower on the side that I tucked a white feather into.

Quote:
You are musically inclined, probably in a band outside of school.
Indeed I am.

Quote:
You are probably one of the cool people at school, and have a very eclectic group of friends.
That depends on how you define "cool," heh heh. My friends are indeed quite eclectic and bizarre.

Quote:
Also, last but certainly not least, you have an uncanny ability to get into characters' heads when writing fanfiction.
*Enca blushes madly and grins to self.* As do you, as do you.

Imladris--

You got the "tall, slim, gothish" bit right, but otherwise no.

----

Hmm... now how do I picture you two?

StarJewel is sparkly. That's just how I think of her, due to her name. But in reality, I guess she has dirty blonde hair that she sometimes can't be bothered to brush, but it looks good all the same. She has hazel eyes, and likes to wear shiny jewelry, but her rings sometimes get in the way as she's trying to write or type something quickly. When she needs to, she puts her hair back in a ponytail, but it's usually down. I can see her putting some braids in it from time to time. Since she's a great poet, I imagine that she has no small number of poetry books on her shelves, or web sites bookmarked. She reads Poe and Sylvia Plath, and sometimes speaks poetically and dramatically and confuses her friends.

Imladris is very pretty, with straight, dark brown hair and brown eyes. She still has a nice tan leftover from the summer because she loves the beach. She is a bookworm, and I bet she has a ton of bookmarks but she can never find one, because they're all in use. So, she had to make do with the nearest slip of paper. She likes to write in crazy colors of ink, like purple and green. She likes to doodle while she's waiting for the food in the microwave to be done or for the computer to load. She's very responsible but a bit of a daydreamer.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:56 AM   #719
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Morai, my name reveals that much, huh? And quite close, too!

Encaitarë, for some reason, reminds me of Eowyn. Something about your association with Grima, I guess. And Imladris brings to mind a tall, willowy lady that could pass for an Elven maiden. Long, straight, dark hair and clear dark eyes, and a fair complexion to die for.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 07:03 AM   #720
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Encaitare - firstly, the Plath link - wow - the site is now in my favourites.

OK, Encaitare has brown, shoulder length hair; sometimes she dyes it, but never permanently, as she doesn't know what mood she will be in tomorrow, and also, she's quite happy with her natural self, so doesn't want to change too much. She has lots of friends, both male and female, and looks forwards to lunch breaks so they can hang out and laugh, talk about books, play music and so on. Encaitare always has a notebook on her, as do her friends, and they collect favourite sayings, write poems, and draw pictures in them. Sometimes she wonders what she wants to do in life as there are just so many interesting things, but one thing she does know is that she wants to attend university.