The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-21-2002, 08:41 PM   #1
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Gandalf's staff

I was just wondering, does any one know how Gandalg got his staff back after he defeats the Balrog?? Or does he make a new one?? I've always wondered but it didn't say how he did it in the books.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:44 PM   #2
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've always assumed that he was given a new staff after he came back to middle earth. After all Gandalf the White should rightly have a different staff then Gandalf the Grey.
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 09:15 PM   #3
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I would guess he got a new staff...unless he spent some time carving his old one into his new one while falling after the Balrog...

I always wondered if, you know, maybe Gandalf's soul went back to Illuvatar, and Illuvatar sent Gandalf back to Middle-Earth or something. That could only explain the change from Grey to White, right? I'm not too UP on how that whole thing happened.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 09:35 PM   #4
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

My guess would be that Galadriel made a new staff for him, but to be honest I don't have any real reason for it; it just seems to be part of her whole approach to caring for him - sending the Eagles to fetch Gandalf, giving him his new white clothing, getting him back into shape for the outside world, etc [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. And somehow I don't think that making a Wizard's staff would be beyond her talents (she would make it personally, of course, the way she wove the cloaks for the fellowship herself along with her ladies).
Old 11-21-2002, 09:44 PM   #5
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Encyclopedia of Arda speculates that after Gandalf passed, Gwaihir recovered Glamdring, and at that same time, I would assume he retrieved Gandalf's staff too. Pure speculation, but since Gandalf had Glamdring when he came back, it must've been retrieved somehow, and it would seem strange for his sword to be retrieved while his staff was left.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:13 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Assuming that Gandalf's staff is wooden, wouldn't it possibly have burned during the fight with the Balrog?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 03:52 AM   #7
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Probably not on the basis that they came from Aman and were more than just a prop for old age.

See here for some thoughts on that matter (and Mhoram's first post... coming to the board with a post agreeing with me, way to go).

[ November 22, 2002: Message edited by: Sharkû ]
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 04:53 AM   #8
Amarinth
Wight

Amarinth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

just on a tangent---

My guess would be that Galadriel made a new staff for him, but to be honest I don't have any real reason for it; it just seems to be part of her whole approach to caring for him - sending the Eagles to fetch Gandalf, giving him his new white clothing, getting him back into shape for the outside world, etc

off the top of my head kalimac, wasn't it radagast the brown who sent the eagles to gandalf? gandalf told radagast to send him word at orthanc when they met in the forest and radagast relayed saruman's summons. so i thought radagast sent the eagles to bring gandalf tidings, thereby acquitting himself of any treachery wrt saruman's.

not really related to the thread, of course [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]...
Old 11-22-2002, 03:02 PM   #9
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Speaking of Gandalf's body being fetched from Moria, not Orthanc.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:39 AM   #10
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that he made his own one, with a nice white jewel on the top, like a mock-up Silmiril. I don’t know why I think this, but question: Gandalf the white is always shinning, where does the shine come from?

Actually no that’s probably completely wrong. The glow could well have come from his cloths (if Galadriel can make cloths that are totally unnoticeable then I am sure she can make some very obvious one too). I agree Galadriel might have made it, but I don’t think that there is really much importance in the staff, the power came from Gandalf not his props.