The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-23-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Uderzo of the Downs, or, Asterix meets Middle-earth

Tolkien once complained about his translators, that they just couldn't get the names right. A similar problem exists in the Asterix comicbook, which has been translated into about a gazillion languages, with the intent to maintain the humourous puns in the names. This results in several characters having different names in different languages. (She who I know as Panacea is Falbala to Estelyn.)

So, well, what would we Barrow Downers become if we journied to that little Gaulish village?

Now, it is just too obvious to make Rune into Runix and Boromir88 into Borix. Any good ones for them? (Well, Rune could be Marx. hee hee) Here's some other suggestions to start you off:

Fordim: Canonix or Mastix

Mister Underhill: Flix

Hookbill: Syndix

Estelyn: Patientia

piosenniel: Medicinia

Child: Historia

Nogrod: Philosophix

Squatter: Slapstix or Doubleclix

davem: gnostix

Lalwende: Woodbinia

Mithalwen: Furiosa

SaucepanMan: Yardstix

Macalaure: Heimlix

me? I'm obviously Rpgina.

C'mon; there's lots of Downers out there who need a passport to that other celtic country.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Fun!

Staying with the Gaul-names, Lommy should be Penguinix, of course. But if we could took her as a Roman she should be Diluvia Borealia or with an anglisised version of it (as the translators of Asterix tend to go for): Flodentia.

Child should be Mater Paternalia (in a positive sense of it) or then just Bella Organisatorix
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:22 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Great fun indeed - I'm a big Asterix fan! Here are my suggestions:

Guinevere: Palantíria

littlemanpoet: Bardix

Formendacil: Serioustix

thephantom: Mysterix

alatar: Sequencix

Kuruharan: Khazâdix

narfforc: Parodix

HerenIstarion: Istarix

Aiwendil: Silmarix

...afterthought - Do you think we should let Lush have "Dominatrix"?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 01-24-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
But if we could took her as a Roman she should be Diluvia Borealia or with an anglisised version of it (as the translators of Asterix tend to go for): Flodentia.
Ohhh, great idea, Noggie, to go for the Latin possibilities also. I will be back with some too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
...afterthought - Do you think we should let Lush have "Dominatrix"?
Great contributions, Esty! It's a pity that Asterixish is a gendered language where the -ix signifies a male name. Still that is rather appropriate for our resident feminist, no?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
Mithalwen: Furiosa

Now feel a bit Lachrymosa and Dolorosa..

I played Assurancetourix (Cacafonix) in the Frogsoc Christmas Show at Uni... I still have my cunningly crafted gaulish helmet somewhere....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Now feel a bit Lachrymosa and Dolorosa..

Aww. But I like the Furies. They are three of my favourite ancient dieties, for they are so like modern defenders of victims and unavenged crimes and so undeserving of their nasty phallocentric reputation. Plus add in a bit of these folks: Il Furiosi . (It fits some of your profile.) Would La Bella Furiosa be more becoming--put you in the Roman camp? Or perhaps a riff off one of your fav writers, Jane Austen? Hmm, must ponder that.

On to others now...

Thenamir :: Numismatickrisis

dancing spawn :: insectus twirlicus

davem :: mondroiticus (new one, Roman vs Gaul)

THE Ka :: Aesthetix

Legolas :: Pharmafix

mormegil :: Primus Bananicus

Tolkien :: Catholix

working on something for Hilde and some others . . . Yes, I have too much Asterix in my head. Hey, I even devoted one entire day of a two week tour of France to Parc Asterix. Rode the Menhir Express and everything.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 01-24-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:47 AM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Aww. But I like the Furies. They are three of my favourite ancient dieties, for they are so like modern defenders of victims and unavenged crimes and so undeserving of their nasty phallocentric reputation. Plus add in a bit of these folks: Il Furiosi . (It fits some of your profile.) Would La Bella Furiosa be more becoming--put you in the Roman camp? Or perhaps a riff off one of your fav writers, Jane Austen? Hmm, must ponder that.

Nah you've sold it to me... I (as often) took it literally as enraged ..which I can be but don't regard it as a permanent state - however as a feminisation of the musical direction "tempestuous and vigorous" it would be fair enough judgement

Old 01-26-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Now, it is just too obvious to make Rune into Runix and Boromir88 into Borix. Any good ones for them? (Well, Rune could be Marx. hee hee) Here's some other suggestions to start you off:

Surely Boromir would be simply Laconix?

Old 01-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I prefer to be known as Gnostix...
Old 01-31-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Surely Boromir would be simply Laconix?
Well, not literally of course, Miz Mithalwen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenamir
I prefer to be known as Gnostix...
Well, I can't see that davem has laid any claim to that offered name, although I'm rather surprised at your choice, as the name connotes the heresy, in Christian churches, of gnosticism. I will have to refrain from secretly thinking of you as Heretix.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:24 PM   #11
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
I will have to refrain from secretly thinking of you as Heretix.
Alas, so true. Considering some of my...right-leaning...posts, perhaps I should be Politix.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #12
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Uh....

Bęthberry: Daughtrix ad Goldberiosa (or some such grammatical construction)

Celuien: Ribitix

Eomer: Aimix
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:49 PM   #13
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hmm,.. what else?

Boromir ~ Devilfix

Lommy ~ Penguine

Celuien ~ Amphibia

morm ~ Chimpanzix

alatar ~ Filmcritix

Kuruharan ~ Pompus Maximus

Raynor ~ Archivix
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:21 PM   #14
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
This looks like fun. However, what is Asterix, and how does this naming work?

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #15
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife
This looks like fun. However, what is Asterix, and how does this naming work?
Ditto.

And can littlemanpoet be Limerix? Or should I wait to find out more before letting my mind go play?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:38 PM   #16
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

1420! Hic transit glorius Mundix

Asterix is the plucky little hero of the magnificent series of comix that bear his name. It is largely through his efforts (with a little help from an ancient Druidic brew) and those of his buddy Obelix--a delivery man for large standing stones-- that the great and not so great Legions of Rome have been unable to subdue their little Gaulish village.

So, natch, the comix were originally in French and display a particularly Gaulic sense of humour. Lots of slapstick and running jokes along with witty word play, puns, allusions, parodies of parodies and a little deflating of cultural stereotypes. The comix have undergone translation into about every language on Earth except American and some of the characters' names have been changed to preserve puns in the translated language. Ah, the names.

The chief in English is Vitalstastistix; his wife is Impedimenta.; his nephew is Justforkix.
The druid is Getafix.
An old man is Geriatrix.
The bard is Cacaphonix.
The fishmonger is Unhygenix; his wife is Bacteria.
Obelix's dog is Dogmatix.
The village hot tamale is Estelyn Telcontar.

opps, scotch that. It's Panacea, who these days looks alot like our Modess.

Anyhow, you get the pix? Female names end in 'a' -- check out a Wiki list for more fun.

There's lots of Latin puns and for true history it provides often amazing specifix while overcoming the usual history soporifix. There's even an explanation for Stonehenge.

The official website offers fun.

I would proffer some more examples, but the night is late and there is somum not so bonum laborium still to be done.

Limerix for elempi? Hmm. I didn't know he wrote naughty verse.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:45 AM   #17
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
My memory fails so frequently, but not on this one. And... since when has it been almost two years?
Old 03-17-2007, 03:04 PM   #18
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortuo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor

My memory fails so frequently, but not on this one. And... since when has it been almost two years?
Ah, but once, twice, even thrice, that hardly represents a telling trait or idiosyncracy, especially given all the sonnets he's posted recently. He really needs to produce more limericks to deserve that name. Unless you name him ironically.

Forsaking the Gauls, here's some Roman nomenclature:

Hookbill: Pundit vis comica

Feanor: Frivola

Jenny Hallu: Connubia Blissfilia

Roa : Matrimonia

narfforc: Parodum NonFinitum, or, more simply, parodix
Old 03-17-2007, 03:17 PM   #19
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Unless you name him ironically.
That too.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:03 PM   #20
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Quote:
Unless you name him ironically.

That too.

Ah. I had considered "limn" as a possible derivation for Limerix in addition to limericks, which would fit our Rohan Innkeeper, as he does have a way with words, illuminating or describing things, and it is an archaic word, which he plays with there.

Limnerix?

Or just a plain old spelling conundrum of -icks or ics and -x. Then we could have

Essex : Ex

Of course, we would have to divise a way to differentiate an Essex from a Middlesex, should we ever have a member of that name. Would the Middle one be Sx? Now there's the rub.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:10 AM   #21
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Asterix and the Werewolves...

Eomer - Kiltix

Lalaith - Amoria

Mithalwen - Magna Maternalia

Fea - Artemisia (seemed right for a noted Hunter and Dark Lady)

Kath - Mataharia

Cailin - Orangina (sorry, Dutch pun, couldn't resist)

Lord, Werewolf lengends have a massive trend towards the female ... let's see if I can redress this...

The Saucepan Man - Prolix

Kuruharan - Luminarix

the phantom - Pompeius Magnus
Old 03-18-2007, 08:37 AM   #22
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Fea - Artemisia (seemed right for a noted Hunter and Dark Lady)
This is wicked unsettling. I woke up a half hour ago thinking of the plant out of nowhere.