The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-13-2002, 01:09 PM   #1
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Just Curious About Wizards

Where Gandalf and Saruman the only wizards in Middle Earth? I thought there were more. I was wondering because if there were more wizards than shouldn't they have helped Gandalf more?
Old 01-13-2002, 01:25 PM   #2
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The following topic was on top when you posted your question. Just think if you had read it first... but then that is just too easy. Follow this link to the wizard discussion.

-red

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: red ]
Old 01-13-2002, 01:35 PM   #3
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

They're were more Istari/wizards then just Gandalf and Saruman. Radagast was one, who loved all beasts and birds. He was a friend to Gandalf/Mithrandir.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:09 PM   #4
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There were 5 wizards in Middle Earth, with the 3 you didn't mention being Radagast the Brown, and Alatar and Pallando, the Blue Wizards.

Originally, the Valar planned to send 3 Maiar to Middle-eEarth - Curumo (Saruman), Alatar, and Olorin (Gandalf) - in that order. Yavanna persuaded them to send a fourth, being Aiwendil (Radagast). Alatar insisted on bringing along his friend, Pallando, rounding out the five we are aware of today.

Aiwendil means 'bird-lover.' Radagast lived in Rhosgobel on the outskirts of Mirkwood. He enjoyed nature and took care of many creatures...I'm guessing he was pretty laidback. Saruman tricks Radagast into luring his friend Gandalf to Orthanc in LOTR. Gandalf also mentions Radagast to Beorn in the Hobbit, referring to him as his cousin.

Alatar and Pallando are referred to as the Blue Wizards because they wore sea-blue clothing. The northwest region of Middle-earth is the only part that is covered in Tolkien's books. We know very little about the other lands. Early on (long before Hobbit/LOTR), Saruman, Alatar, and Pallando ventured off into the east. Saruman (obviously) returned, but the other two did not. Because of this, Alatar and Pallando did not have names in the languages of northwest Middle-earth. It's not known what became of these two after they went into the east.

"What success they [Alatar and Pallando] had I do not know; but I fear they failed, as Saruman did, though doubtless in different ways; and I suspect they were the founders or beginners of secret cults and 'magic' traditions that outlasted the fall of Sauron." (The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, No. 211).
Old 01-15-2002, 06:23 AM   #5
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks for the information! That explains alot. But after Gandalf meets Radagast in The Fellowship he dosn't do anything else. IT seams like he dosn't care if Sauron takes over by the amount of help he provides.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:07 AM   #6
Cirdan the Shipwright
Haunting Spirit

Cirdan the Shipwright has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the role of Radagast is vastly understated in the books. In his role as Yavanna's representative, he seems to have taken on the task of the Istari's chief communications officer. Have you ever wondered, for example, how so many messages were passed over such far distances? In particular, how come the eagles always showed up at just the right moment in every story? I think Radagast had more to do with these events then is mentioned.

- Cirdan / Maglor68
Cirdan the Shipwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 10:57 AM   #7
Perethil
Pile O'Bones

Perethil has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think there could be something there actually... maybe he wasnt as useless as he is described. i am personally fascinated by the blue wizards though, and i think that in the very little that Tolkien says about them, he gives us much more room for imagination. the lost two wizards provide a good base for future story development.
Perethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 11:31 AM   #8
The Mirrorball Man
Haunting Spirit

The Mirrorball Man has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Perethil:
the lost two wizards provide a good base for future story development.
I always wondered if Pallando and Alatar's real mission was to look for the remaining Moriquendi and send them to Aman...
Old 01-16-2002, 04:38 PM   #9
Carannillion
Wight

Carannillion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

VERY interesting thought. It opens up a whole new world; where were the 'eastern' or 'southern' elves, if indeed there were any left? How was their relationship with the eastern tribes of men? Perhaps they have their own, separate society, fighting the remains of Melkor's forces from Utumno, trading with the Haradrim and so on. These elves were perhaps the ones Melkor took and corrupted into orcs? (mentioned in another post as well..) Do these elves have the same physical appearance as the ones we know?

This opens up a whole new world, where everything is left for the reader to decide. Presuming, of course, that Tolkien did not write anything about it...