The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-24-2002, 05:37 PM   #1
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Question Question about the Two Towers Poster...

Am I right in assuming that in the Two Towers <A HREF="http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?aid=269089&item=334264" TARGET=_blank>Poster</A> the closer tower is Orthanc and the further one is Barad Dur? Or is the closer one in Minas Tirith?<P>And what do you folks think of the poster? It's neat and atmospheric but at the same time doesn't give alot of info about the story. I know you can't give too much away with it, but I think I liked the FOTR poster where the Fellowship are floating down the Anduin toward the Argonath better. Maybe it'll just take some getting used to.
Old 08-24-2002, 11:30 PM   #2
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I believe that the Two Towers are Orthanc and Barad Dûr, and it looks like to me that it is Orthanc that is in the front. And don't worry, I'm sure we'll get more TTT posters than this. Of the FotR posters, I liked any with the hobbits.<BR>See ya, <BR>~M
Old 08-25-2002, 11:11 AM   #3
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Not just to be opposite, but I think the closer one is Barad Dûr. I don't know about the other one, is doesn´t look like Orthanc nor Minas Morgul...<BR>For FotR posters, I liked all of them, except for the one where Frodo is looking at the Ring; it's a bit to ... focused for me. To be honest I liked the posters best, which were not pasted up everywhere. Why did they use the bad ones for publishing?<BR>Heehee, looked like I wrote a bit more than I intended to...
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 11:22 AM   #4
Voronwen Amatiriel Cuile
Pile O'Bones

Voronwen Amatiriel Cuile has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Voronwen Amatiriel Cuile
Sting

acyualy, i know that "The Two Towers" are supposed to be barad-dur and orthanac, but if you ask me the one in front looks like minas tirith, just because it's not creepy enough like barad-dur was in the first movie. but they could have made it look different for the poster, list for visual apeal maybe, i'm not really sure. and i know what that one ib the background is...
Old 08-25-2002, 11:23 AM   #5
Voronwen Amatiriel Cuile
Pile O'Bones

Voronwen Amatiriel Cuile has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Voronwen Amatiriel Cuile
Sting

oops... i mean i<I>don't</I> know.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:54 AM   #6
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tolkien

It seems likely that "The Two Towers" refers to Orthanc and Minas Morgul (aka Minas Ithil), though Tolkien was a bit ambiguous and expressed dissatisfaction with the title, thinking it might be misleading: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>From the end of FotR:<BR><I>The second part is called THE TWO TOWERS, since the events recounted in it are dominated by ORTHANC, the citadel of Saruman, and the fortress of MINAS MORGUL that guards the secret entrance to Mordor; it tells of the deeds and perils of all the members of the now sundered fellowship, until the coming of the Great Darkness. </I><P>From Letter 140: <BR>The Two Towers gets as near as possible to finding a title to cover the widely divergent Books 3 and 4; and can be left ambiguous – it might refer to Isengard and Barad-dûr, or to Minas Tirith and B; or Isengard and Cirith Ungol.¹ [footnote:] In a subsequent letter to Rayner Unwin (no. 143), Tolkien is more definite that the Two Towers are 'Orthanc and the Tower of Cirith Ungol'. On the other hand, in his original design for the jacket of The Two Towers (see no. 151) the Towers are certainly Orthanc and Minas Morgul. Orthanc is shown as a black tower, three-horned (as seen in Pictures no. 27), and with the sign of the White Hand beside it; Minas Morgul is a white tower, with a thin waning moon above it, in reference to its original name, Minas Ithil, the Tower of the Rising Moon (The Fellowship of the Ring p. 257). Between the two towers a Nazgûl flies.<P>From Letter 143: <BR>I am not at all happy about the title 'The Two Towers'. It must if there is any real reference in it to Vol II refer to Orthanc and the Tower of Cirith Ungol. But since there is so much made of the basic opposition of the Dark Tower and Minas Tirith, that seems very misleading. There is, of course, actually no real connecting link between Books III and IV, when cut off and presented separately as a volume.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But since this is really a movie poster question, I'm sending this topic to Movies.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 03:01 PM   #7
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Of course, Gandalf says in the trailer that<P>"There is a union now between The Two Towers, Orthanc and Barad-Dur"<P>So for the movie poster I reckon the one in front is Orthanc because the stairs look like the stairs Saruman stood on.<BR>And the one in the background has those 'devil horns' or whatever you want to call them so I'll go for Barad-Dur.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:35 AM   #8
Eruhen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eruhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I just now checked out TTT's poster on PJ's website, and I know that the nearer one is Orthanc. As for the other one, I think that it is Minas Morgul, if only because it has the forked horns at the top, seeing as Morgul was once Minas Ithil, the Tower of the Rising Moon. I know that it's not the Dark Tower, because it doesn't look anywhere near as threatening. I also don't think that it's the Tower of Cirith Ungol, because it doesn't look like the description in TTT and RotK. So, that's why I think that they are Orthanc and Morgul.
Eruhen is offline   Reply With Quote