Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2002, 02:18 PM   #201
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Mith, I think you should reread that section in Morgoth's Ring on Elvish marriage. I don't think an elf would be ahead of ceremony. And if Mith and Pio did the quiet, eloping-sort of marriage that Tolkien describes as an option-- meaning, that the conjugal act constitutes the marriage ceremony-- they would have announced it (I think at the latest, the next day) and Daisy would have lost her roommate anyway. Mith and Pio would already be married and there'd be no need for further ceremony.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:27 PM   #202
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I share your pain Pio. You should dump that man just for that horrible joke. You know I think Angara was right about him. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2002, 02:39 PM   #203
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Well, heck, the community that plays together stays together. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I just didn't think elves could get pregnant that easily or that quickly at that age. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2002, 02:50 PM   #204
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

They usually got pregnant in the spring; I have no idea what season it is. But the elvish rules and customs about marriage are quite clear. The conjugal act, if performed without prior ceremony, BECOMES the ceremony. So-- they're officially married. And they should have-- would have-- announced it as a courtesy to their shipmates.

Daisy needs a new roommate.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:58 PM   #205
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Daisy can go stay with the hobbrim. Or, if you guys like the idea, I don't have a roommate either.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:07 PM   #206
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Seriously, people. I realize that I'm incredibly naiive. But I thought that Pio was in Mith's room watching over him because of his headache & whateer "black breath" type effect he got from the conflict with Sauron, and that likewise Mith watched over Pio because she had been out in the rain and he just wanted to sit by her.

So, laugh at me for a naive idiot; many do.

But if they'd gotten close enough for her to conceive, they should have annouced it back then.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:13 PM   #207
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Helen, my dear Helen,

You haven't been reading enough Victorian novels. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I recall a passage about an elbow in I think it is Mill on the Floss that ....

Bethberry
Old 09-26-2002, 03:15 PM   #208
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

I doubt Tolkien read many of them.

He'd be rolling in his grave.

[ September 26, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 09-26-2002, 03:21 PM   #209
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Well I don't think I'd hurt for Pio and Mith to have thier oun version on a relationship.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:26 PM   #210
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Tolkien clearly wrote down, from the point of view of the Eldar, what the rules about marriage are. See HoME, Morgoth's Ring, Laws and Customs among the Eldar. We've gone to huge effort to make this story as historically accurate as possible, as canonically correct as possible. Why neglect the laws of marriage?
Old 09-26-2002, 03:38 PM   #211
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Yes, Tolkien definitely said that about Elvish unions. In lieu of a ceremony, two Elves are definitely married after the physical act takes place.

Only, I'm human, and it doesn't seem right unless they get up there in front of us and make pledges to each other and exchange rings. Plus, only one-quarter of this union is Elvish. Half is big person, and one-quarter hobbit. And, as far as I'm concerned, that hobbit quarter's not hooked until they go through the proper steps.

sharon
Old 09-26-2002, 03:44 PM   #212
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

LOL Child. So what's the problem? If you bothered to read, Mith's already getting Pio's ring ready.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:45 PM   #213
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Mithadan --

I fear everyone may be hurling stones at you. But Cami would like to thank you. I finally have my heart's desire: to be a prophet and seer like my distant cousin Frodo Baggins.

I refer to my quotation from our discussion this morning:

Quote:
Hey, you two better get hitched soon. This is supposed to be a "family" oriented website.
Ahem, it appears that Cami properly predicted the fate of our RPG!! And I finally "pushed" you to do the proper thing --go dig out that ring!

Camelia Goodchild
Old 09-26-2002, 04:10 PM   #214
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

For the record, Mithadan is a mere mortal man, ignorant of the ways of the Elves regarding marriage and, likely, many other matters as well. Mithadan's puppetmaster has read Customs of the Eldar, but, also being a mortal man, forgot the details (though I recall the part about exchanging rings or gifts).

I assume that Piosenniel, as she commented earlier, realizes that Mithadan is a bit of a simpleton on these matters and did not push the point. Also, I'm not sure that she would be constrained to follow Elvish custom outside of her own kin.

Helen, would the exchange of gifts satisfy you, now that Mithadan has come to his wits? If you insist, I will change things around somehow. I wouldn't want anyone to be angry that we have deviated from the proper course at this point.
Old 09-26-2002, 04:30 PM   #215
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Is it possible to backfit the exchange of gifts closer to when the romance blossomed and Pio declared her commitment to Mithadan? She made up her mind strongly enough and would not be deterred, I personally see no reason not to exchange gifts at that point.

The advantage of that would be that Pat's post about the twins can stand as written. The post about Mithadan's introduction to the twins was a stunningly beautiful post, and I would be very happy to see it stand exactly as written. (Okay, I could/ should also say that as a reader, having now been introduced to the twins I am loathe to put them on hold for any reason. They are lovely. )

in the meantime, Olive branch accepted, and respectfully kissed and returned, Mith. Thank you.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:48 PM   #216
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I'll reread that section of Customs this evening and see what I can do to satisfy Elvish customs at some appropriate point earlier in the story. No olive branch need be offered back. Glad to do it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 26, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 09-26-2002, 09:24 PM   #217
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Another point to consider:

Mithadan is a man of Numenorean descent, proud of it, and one who tries to maintain his honor in it.

He's also one who constantly reminds his crew about responsibility, chain-of-command, and The Captain Being Responsible for the actions of His Crew.

If in spite of all that, he could, under duress, shrug all that off, and say to himself, "Well, regardless of the societal norms this will flout; regardless of what kind of impact this will have on my crew's respect for me; regardless of what effect this has on morale; regardless of what effect it will have on my crew to realise that I have flouted the conservative societal rules that hobbits, men, and elves grow up with in Middle Earth-- well, nevermind all that. Maybe on a ship this small nobody will notice. And if they do maybe it won't matter."

He's not that much of a wymp. He would have stood his ground, and insisted on maintaining his crew's respect for him.

Piosenniel might not have worried about the rules. Mithadan would have. He's always tried to maintain a tight ship, and he's not about to lose his (conservative) crew's respect. He would fight to keep it.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:39 PM   #218
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Who said anything whatsoever about renouncing? "Wait til we exchange vows" is hardly renouncing. Is she comitted to him, or not?
Old 09-26-2002, 09:59 PM   #219
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami creeps in where others wisely fear to tread..... Here goes.

Step back and take a deep breath. Perhaps you may not be as far apart as you think.....

The things that Pio has put on her thread suggests to me that Pio and Mith have indeed made a unique commitment to each other, a relationship that we today would indeed call a union or marriage:

Quote:
The character who is now returned to the story is by far a more mature thinking person with the capacity for real commitments and for genuine love...

Her dawning affection/love for Mithadan will awaken her to the physical, emotional, spiritual layers of authentic commitment

This was not a young elf maiden with the luxury of parents to see her through this dawning love and guide her with their wisdom during a luxuriant year of betrothal. Hers are not the easy circumstances of Rivendell or Lothlorien when she is faced with these decisions, but the everpresent battlefield of Light and Darkness. Having died once by mischance, life is more precious to her. And now, having made that decison to join her courses to Mithadan's and, in so doing, choosing mortality for herself, life becomes even more precious as she realizes how fleeting it will be with him.

In her eyes they have achieved the marriage state.

It was the act of bodily union that achieved marriage, and after which the indissoluble bond was complete.(Morgoth's Ring, p. 212)
This part is me: According to Morgoth's Ring, there is only one thing required to achieve that Elven union. I have indicated in italics the words that I feel are critical

Quote:
In happy days and times of peace it was held ungracious and contemptuous of kin to forgo the ceremonies, but it was at all times lawful for any of the Eldar, both being unwed, to marry thus of free consent one to another, without ceremony or witness (save blessings exchanged and the naming of the Name); the union so joined was alike indissoluble. In days of old, in times of trouble, in flight and exile and wandering, such marriages were often made. (Morgoth's Ring, p. 212)
Why can we not then approach it from this angle?

1. Pio as the creator and writer for her character has the right to develop that character as she sees fit, whether or not I or anyone else totally agrees with the way she has done so (and of course the vice versa holds true for any character that I or someone else develops.)

I think the above holds as long as the guidelines of the Downs are adhered to and, laying aside Mith's "joke" (GROWL!), I think that nothing has been said or written which goes outside those guidelines. What we are talking about here is a matter of personal discretion, personal beliefs, and courtesies----not rules. And, inevitably, when we write as a group, differences on this level will occur.

Suggested Course : Could we not then have all of Pio's writing hold fast--no change or deletions -- but merely add the following 18 words in the recent scene where Mithadan resolves his conflicts and inconsisencies? These words are as follows: "Then Mithadan and Pio exchanged blessings and undertook the naming of the name, in accordance with hallowed (or ancient??) custom."

Pio -- correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you essentially said this was in accord with Pio's new sense of commitment as well as the realistic fact that she was an "orphan" (Where's Bird when I need her?) and out in the middle of the ocean with no Elvish community at hand.

Helen-- According to Tolkien, this would constitute a legitimate Elvish union. I may be wrong, but I remember thinking when I read the Silm that this was how Beren and Luthien did it (by inference).

Any possibility of this working?

Cami

p.s. The line forms to the left for hurling tomatoes.

[ September 27, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

[ September 27, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-26-2002, 10:18 PM   #220
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Babies! Oooooh, babies! Hi, babies! Auntie Birdie's gonna spoil you, yes she is. She'll get you little dwarf toys, and cute lil' matching outfits...and ponies!

But Auntie Birdie doesn't babysit, or change lil' Half-Elven didies. Gotta draw the line somewhere. We'll leave that to Angara.

Quote:
Piosenniel might not have worried about the rules. Mithadan would have. He's always tried to maintain a tight ship, and he's not about to lose his (conservative) crew's respect. He would fight to keep it.
Hey, Auntie Birdie could care less. She's just glad she's not Elven, or else she'd be considered a bigamist.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:37 PM   #221
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Quote:
Helen-- According to Tolkien, this would constitute a legitimate Elvish union.
Of course it would.

I still think they (or at least, Mith) would have informed the crew, rather than leave everyone guessing and wondering, aboard such a small ship.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:31 PM   #222
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Helen --

Posibly, but maybe not. I'm not sure if these two particular characters would have done this immediately.

Certainly, if Cami had made such vows, she would have yelled it from the highest rooftop!

But both of these characters are, in my opinion, very different. They are very reserved, and value their privacy. And on such a small ship, privacy must be hard to come by. That is one of the things that struck me even in contrasting Pio's situation with my own in the camps. She had no woods to get away to and take quiet walks. Everywhere she looked, people were watching her every move.

Mithadan's character is quite reserved and sometimes enjoys being "mysterious" (or so I see him.) There have been many times in the story when I wasn't really sure what he was thinking, and I believe that was intentional.

Pio's character has been even more like this. Pio herself admits that, for the beginning of the story, the Elf tended to be "manipulative" and was only slowly learning to grow beyond that. Again and again in the plot she's had many "secrets". Going off to see Levanto and not telling folk where she's going is only the latest example.

Looking back on Cami's relationship with Pio in the story, I don't think Pio or Mithadan would ever make a "public" anouncement. Pio would have asked me to come to her cabin and talk privately. Then I would spread the word to the rest of the hobbits (unless she told me it was a secret).

sharon
Old 09-26-2002, 11:35 PM   #223
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie's got a shotgun, if that will help. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oh, wait a minute. Firearms = NON-CANON. Guess we could make it a "bow and arrow wedding."
Old 09-26-2002, 11:37 PM   #224
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Quote:
Looking back on Cami's relationship with Pio in the story, I don't think Pio or Mithadan would ever make a "public" anouncement. Pio would have asked me to come to her cabin and talk privately. Then I would spread the word to the rest of the hobbits (unless she told me it was a secret).
Ahem...So what? Birdie's just suppose to say, "Gee, Pio. Putting on a little weight these days, aren't you?" [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ September 27, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 09-27-2002, 12:03 AM   #225
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Of course, I would tell Birdie too. But I think Pio would have called you in at the same time as me, or in a separate meeting so I wouldn't have to tell you! Cami
Old 09-27-2002, 01:48 AM   #226
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Quote:
Pio wants a big wedding ceremony and a reception with something other than fish as the main course!
Birdie stands in front of sea cows, arms outstretched: "Fish is good for you!"

Geez, does the whole "Lonely Star" have insomnia tonight?
Old 09-27-2002, 04:50 AM   #227
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Wow. I leave you all for one night and I come back to find this?

The question is, are we all going to get to see the babies. I have a feeling that the Lonely Star crew is not gonna stay together for another 9 months.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:15 AM   #228
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Helen, Pat and I will caucus privately about this matter. We will bring others into the discussion if needed. Until then, this thread is closed temporarily pending character and plot adjustments.
Old 09-27-2002, 01:05 PM   #229
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Open for business again!
Old 09-27-2002, 01:10 PM   #230
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

And do I get to host the showers--wedding or baby or both? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

*Remembers shower hosted in past for Dana Scully but quivers nervously hoping the joke doesn't back fire*

[ September 27, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 09-27-2002, 02:01 PM   #231
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

NOTICE OF POST EDIT FOR EVERYONE

Please see Page 2 of the story - my post of 9/20 2:23 pm. It has been edited to include the blessings and witness scene requisite to the relationship of Mith and Pio.

They are now married! Party to follow later! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2002, 02:18 PM   #232
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Far be it from me to cast either one of you two. But if you want the shoe, Cinderella and her fella...

'Twas rather a wild and reckless final hurrah thrown to the Fates by the last NoRomo left on earth after colonization. What goes around come around. Or whatever.
Old 09-27-2002, 04:44 PM   #233
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
It has been edited to include the blessings and witness scene requisite to the relationship of Mith and Pio
YAY! *claps* that's good enough for me.

*runs off to set up the party*
Old 09-28-2002, 12:58 AM   #234
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

OOPA! I just love a big, fat Elven wedding!

(Birdie does chicken dance!)
Old 09-28-2002, 03:23 AM   #235
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Mates, I will be gone til THursday. I may be able to post once or twice, but otherwise, write my characters as neccessary. --Helen
Old 09-28-2002, 05:13 AM   #236
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Birdie- Have you seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? I didn't, but I heard enough about it from my mom. For those who havn't seen it, it's what happens when two cultures collide. Like what's happening now. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2002, 11:11 AM   #237
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

How are we proposing to get Daisy from the ship to the prison? I haven't figured that out as yet. She can't swim as far as Pio and certainly can't stay under water as long. Any ideas?

Or should we just gloss over the particulars and do a general 'Levanto got her there.' sort of post. Let me know and I'll write if, if you like, after we hear back from Levanto.

BTW - I changed my previous post - Levanto did not go immediately to the prison-caves - he is waiting for Pio and Cami to give him instructions for the hobbits - set them up for receiving Daisy. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2002, 11:48 AM   #238
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

I'll take her! Birdie's getting bored with all these Hobbrim children. "No, I will not blow anything else up! Stop asking!"
Old 09-30-2002, 12:41 PM   #239
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Bird -- You mean you're giving Bird a dolphin back ride? That sounds like fun. Can Cami come too? I could hang on to the tail.

Ok, ok, I know the answer!

Cami Goodchild
Old 09-30-2002, 01:16 PM   #240
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Child

Do you want to set up the meeting with Ancalimon and Mithadan? Pio can then inform Levanto of what we're doing and he can inform the prison-hobbits.

We can then send Bird and Daisy on her way.

How long do we want the informant-Daisy scene to run? Once it is done, will we then move fairly quickly to 'the elven ships have arrived' scene?