The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-11-2003, 04:06 PM   #1
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Shield LOTR musicians challenge

First of all to play there are some simple rules.

1) Name your favorit LOTR charctor.
2) Try to firgure out a kind of music they and you would like.
3)Propose them for a song and I'll try to write it.
4) If accepted I'll write a tune custom made for you and the charctor. But the only way I will not accept the proposed song is if its polka or Batlslovian folk or somthing.

I've already done it for a few friends and they seemed to like it. If you play an instrument then I'll write it for that one. I'll also make it at your abbility level.

I really love writing sad songs so tragic charctors are great!! I'll write a unique song one of a kind for you and your favorite charctor. I love challenging myself. So lets hear what you guys have!!

Styles fluent in are:

Classic/ Mainly infulenced Chopin, Mozart, Bach, Beathoven,
Blues/ Delta, Chicago,country blues yes its a differnt style.
Jazz/ Bebop and swing
Folk/ Celtic tradshional and american
Rock/many styles
Heavy metal/thrash and speed NWBHM(Sauron he he)
punk/ Basic calif based
country/Old fashion merle,willie etc

Its a wonderfull challenge and fun so go ahead and tell me what you would like. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Eruantalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 04:25 PM   #2
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

So you're a composer, eh? Very Interesting,
I do a bit of composing myself actually, and arranging, I've arranged the LOTR soundtrack so many times and for like, every instrumentation I can think of. The hard part is the base line, which is hard to hear sometimes.

Anyway, hmmm, a challenge for a fellow musician...
I play brass, mostly Trumpet, and alot of Piano, My favourite character is Frodo and I think he would probably listend to either modern classical or blues, maybe even funk, take you're pick. Something trendy but intelligent. Anyway, my trumpet range goes pretty high, anything up to the D above high, high C(not super C, mind) and my favourite keys are F and Bb Major(D and G Minor), my ability level is high but not pro. So have at it.

[ September 11, 2003: Message edited by: Ainaserkewen ]
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 04:52 PM   #3
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

Ah sounds great my first challenge.

Now the piano thats a wonderfull instrument. Classical music would be great for him. Now for the key. Definatly D minor. Its going to be somthing really beautifull.

But for you trumpet that will be somthing completly different. I'll take two on since you play more than one. It will be a simple melody line that will accompany the paino.

I'll write somthing sensetive and painfull but beautifull and delicure. Somthing that goes inside the ring brears heart and lets you know just how heavy his talk is.

I'll call it "Frodos pain" what you think of that?

Now you said your trumpet when to a certin range. But not vary familar with trumpets. Give me a music staff that shows me the notes you can play and I'll be writing in now time.

To evey one else you don't have to play an isntrument to be able to have a song made.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:04 PM   #4
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

This is very interesting. Well... My favorite characters are Eowyn and Eomer, and I always saw Eomer as being a Metal-head, so some Metallica inspired stuff would be fun... But I've played the flute for about 7 years now, and I'm about 3 notes short of it's full range. I'm probably a medium-to-high for ability. If it's too hard to write some heavy metal for the flute, I also know some guitar, saxophone, ocarina, and a bit of piano. My compliments: I've done some composing, and sadly, I'm not all that good at it... Good luck.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:50 AM   #5
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

Hopefully you don't get too busy with our song wishes...I would prefer something classical for Arwen (though she's not my fave character). I have tried composing myself but when I get a nice theme I don't know how to go on.

I have played the violin for 11 years (and I'm even quite good at it), the piano for something like 5 years and I also know little guitar and bag pipe (and kantele which is a traditional Finnish instrument with 5 (or more) srings).

If you have time something for the violin and piano(or for the viola, so I can play with my friend) would be nice.
It would be worth thinking if it was Arwen before/after meeting Aragorn, Arwen as a queen of Gondor etc. But I think that it would be classical music in her case.
G minor and major are easy for me but if you want something really high try E minor or major. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
You can ignore this if youre too busy.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:45 AM   #6
Firnantoonion
Haunting Spirit

Firnantoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well, my fave character is pippin, and i think he would like some merry folk (celtic I think)song. I play the tuba, and my range goes to super-C (and I looooove technical challenges)

edit: if it's easier for you, i can also play trumpet, horn, bugle and trombone.

[ September 12, 2003: Message edited by: Firnantoonion ]
Old 09-12-2003, 11:10 AM   #7
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

hm, you seem to have a lot of requests as it is, but if you ever find the time, I think a song for Galadriel would be great. Perhaps classical.

I play Piano and Organ. I have for a few years, and I'm actually okay at it. This could be pretty much a surprise piece, as I'm not too picky about the key, so if you do get to this one, just have fun with it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

If you're too busy, don't worry about it though, you've got a bunch of requests already. I would be ever thankful if you did. Respects, I've tried to compose a piece or two and that went far from well.

[ September 12, 2003: Message edited by: ElenCala Isil ]
Old 09-12-2003, 02:00 PM   #8
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Hi, more info:
My range is the D above the staff to the F# under the staff(treble Clef of course, though I can play in Alto Clef)
And for the duet Idea, ummmm, trumpets rarely go well with other instruments besides other brass, so the trumpet-piano idea won't sound so great. Just to let you know that any melody written for trumpet must be transposed into Bb(Cause that's what key my instrument is in) instead of just concert pitch like the piano.
You're idea for the song sounds great though, enjoy the creativity of it all.
always eating chicken?
Old 09-12-2003, 02:20 PM   #9
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

LOL

Your quit right. I was up for a few extra hours last night trying to get the Piano and trumpet thing right. It can be done but not for this arranment.

If I wanted to give it more of a brash or bold sound yes it would be great. But tender and dear with a piano just dosn't work.

Now on to the rest of you. You all have given me such great request. But I'm giving my nod to the eveyone and will get you all songs!!

This is so great I didn't think anyone would be interested and I have all these fellow musicians that will enjoy music I've made.

Thank you all I'll have it all done soon [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2003, 02:20 PM   #10
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm, interesting idea. I'd like to try playing something for Aragorn. He strikes me as the type who might enjoy something quite folky, possibly maybe Celtic in the style of Lough Erin Shore by the Corrs.

I've been playing violin for almost four years, and I've just started getting guitar lessons off my dad. Something fairly simple but with a good melody to it would be good. I'm not too fussed about lyrics; in fact I think it's rather nice to just listen to the melody sometimes.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:23 PM   #11
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

I have a trick up my sleeve for Aragorn. I said I like celtic music and have somthing right up your ally!!

It will be done tommarrow and will be on guitar and quit easy but vary beautifull. One questshion though slow and sad or fast and happy?

I'll just write two pieces and you can choose tommarrow. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Belive it or not Dancing spawn last night I was wishing it was a violin instead of a trumpet I was composing for. Your the answer to my wishers [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Now for Arwen there will be a piece of beauty and grace that will be vary touching. The violin is an amazing instrument and will be perfect for the piano piece it goes with.

For the piece on Galdriel it has to be a piece of quit beauty and delicacy. But not sad in any way though. But I'll just have to see where to muses take me.

The horn player that wants a piece with pippen will be my most challenging!! To make somthing that will embody Pippin on this istrument might take me longer than any orther.

Now to get writing !!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

eveyone needs to let me know if you want lyrics or not and how long you want this piece to be thank you all

[ September 12, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 09-12-2003, 05:19 PM   #12
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

Is there any chance you could do something for the recorder? It's all I know how to play right now...I want to learn to play bagpipes! My range is from a B below the staff (treble clef) up three octaves. I'm not sure what character yet, but I know it will be an elf, I will decide very soon I'm sure. (It's between Galadriel and Luthien)
Old 09-12-2003, 05:27 PM   #13
Mithisilien
Haunting Spirit

Mithisilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, what an awesome idea!
My favorite character is Faramir. I always thought of him as a classical- or celtic- listener, but if you have a better idea, that would be great too [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. I play the piano and the cello, and I'm very advanced in both. Pick whichever one you feel like using, I don't really mind! Lyrics would be really cool, because I can sing too, and could sing while I play. Thankies!
Old 09-12-2003, 05:38 PM   #14
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

Quote:
eveyone needs to let me know if you want lyrics or not and how long you want this piece to be
I'd love lyrics, I've been singing for.. well a long time ^^ and as for length, let the muses guide you there. just remember, if you don't have time, you don't have to. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2003, 07:05 PM   #15
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Oh, this is so kewl! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I've actually got a couple of ideas, but you can pick which you want to try. Idea 1: something for Pippin; I was thinking something Celtic, upbeat of course [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. Idea 2: something Mordor-ish, for Sauron or the Nazgul. Lots of bass, kind of a heavy rock sound. Idea 3: Shelob; all spidery and creepy and with a low rumbly sort of bass line.

I play the piano, so whichever would be easiest to write for that. I'm not very advanced, but I'm not a beginner, so something kind of in the middle as far as difficulty goes. And maybe see if you can figure out a duet for piano and violin (doesn't matter for which), then my friend and I can play it together. (edit)Medium length, lyrics are not neccessary. Thanks! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I really have to commend you on this idea; it is so brilliant, and it's really great of you to offer to do this. Hannon le, mellon nin!

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~

[ September 13, 2003: Message edited by: Sapphire_Flame ]
Old 09-13-2003, 05:43 AM   #16
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
Sting

Thank you so much, Eruantalon! Lyrics would be great but they're not necessary. The piece can be as long /short as you like to make it. Maybe something between 1 and 3 minutes but you can make it longer or shorter, whatever you like. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
And thanks again!
Old 09-13-2003, 06:59 AM   #17
Firnantoonion
Haunting Spirit

Firnantoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know that it is difficult to make such a (merry) theme suited for horn. on a bugle (thats how we call them in dutch, I hope this the correct translation) or a trumpet, i think such a theme would be easier....

otherwise, when the merry theme is to difficult, or takes too much time, you can make something dark-ish, (like the nazgul theme in FotR)

but, thanks a lot, and good luck, with all of the requests

(ps, lyrics aren't necessary)
Old 09-13-2003, 08:07 AM   #18
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Quote:
eveyone needs to let me know if you want lyrics or not and how long you want this piece to be thank you all
Lyrics would be interesting, but I'd rather write them myself (that's something that I'm actually good at). As for length, I'd say two to three minutes would work.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:26 AM   #19
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

Ahh the Recorder that would be great!!

Its a vary sweet sounding instrument. It will be perfect!!

Now I have two or so pieces I'm writing for piano or Organ right now. So the Cellist will be playing and singing a pretty tune on the cello.

As for eveyone else I'm going to get eveything perfet.

About me:

I've been playing guitar for 9 years. 5 years seriously. I am a theory junkie. I'm always seeking things I don't know yet. Theres so much out there that I want to learn more about. But composing is my passion and I do enjoy it quit a lot.

I can compose for any instrument but never get the chance since it wouldn't be played. So whats the sense making somthing you'll never get to play on a regular basis.

For the person I was making a trumpet and piano piece for. I just when completly to the piano for this one. Its small but quit complex. It will be a few minutes.

The themes are:
1st theme/ Frodos pain 1:30
2nd theme(interlude)/The cracks of mount Doom 0:40
3rd them (ending)/ The fall of Sauron 1:00

I've put lots of pretty theory into it. It took me two days. Witch is long for me since I can get a piece done in a sitting.

I've got the Recorder piece to work on today. The guitar piece on Aragorn to finish and start the piece for Dancing spawn of Ungoliant witch will probly be the prettyest piece of all.

As for the Tuba player I will make that pippen tune for you. Its a challenge that I'm not giving up on. Just the one thing I started this whole challenge for. I won't take that long and it will be a real hobbity piece.

Thank you all again for your well wishing and effort. Each of you is giving me so much to help me out with this. I'm vary gald where all doing this [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 13, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]

[ September 13, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 09-13-2003, 11:35 AM   #20
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

Ok, I decided on Luthien, a sad beginning, for the death of Beren, Luthien's grief and subsequent death, then something happier for their return, but mingled with sadness because Luthien is now mortal. No lyrics, (It's a little hard to sing while playing the recorder!)Celtic style, however long you want to make it. I think I'm at an intemediate level. (not sure, I taught myself to play)

Oh, sorry, I made a mistake, the lowest note I can play is a C, not a B. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

[ September 13, 2003: Message edited by: Elennar Starfire ]
Old 09-13-2003, 04:11 PM   #21
Eruantalon
Wight

Silmaril

I no longer can take any orther songs the ones up are the ones for now. Any one who wanted one and didn't get a chance to post I will take new offers when I have finished the 9 I have now. But that should not take too long. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2003, 04:33 PM   #22
Lady Alasse
Wight

Lady Alasse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love your idea!!! It's so awesome! I'm a pianist myself so I hope I get to see the ones written for the piano.

I know this is a little off subject, but I've written a melody for the Lament for Boromir. (The one that Aragorn and Legolas sing at the beginning of TTT. I've played it for a my piano teacher and my Grandparents and they said they liked it. My problem is I'm having trouble writing cords and the bass line in a way that I like. You sound like your a really good at writing music. Could you give me some tips?

Also once your done with these songs I'd like to request a song to! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] thanks
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 13, 2003: Message edited by: Lady Alasse ]
He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms.-II Samuel 22:35
Lady Alasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 05:19 PM   #23
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
This is an interesting idea! I play percussion (mostly snare drum), clarinet, tenor sax, and piano. I have composed some music, but not in quite a while. When I was about 6, I wrote my first LotR based music - a melody to Bilbo's bath song. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Anyway, I'll shut up before I get more off topic.

Well, I just wanted to salute you for taking on the writing requests! Very cool of you. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] Maybe once you are done with the current requests, I will request a piece. Anyway, until then, good luck with the writing! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 13, 2003: Message edited by: Goldberry ]
Old 09-14-2003, 12:17 PM   #24
Eruantalon
Wight

Shield

Its all been figured out I have three pieces that will start going up. Its all thanks to Cami Goodchild. She gave me the tip I needed so Hup Hup hurray for Cami!!!!!

[ September 18, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 09-15-2003, 02:00 PM   #25
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Wow, that's really confusing!!!
Is it possible that we could get some sort of better connection than PMs?
It must have been alot of work to write that all out.
Thank you, so far it looks great, but I think the composer should put it on dictation sheets, I can perseive all your thoughts, I have no elven ring.
Anyway, I'll PM you...
always eating chicken?
Old 09-15-2003, 02:02 PM   #26
Lady Alasse
Wight

Lady Alasse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank you Eruantalon. I tried to PM you but your message box is full so I guess I'll try again later.
He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms.-II Samuel 22:35
Lady Alasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 07:26 PM   #27
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

W = whole notes
H = Half notes
Q = quarter notes
8 = 8th notes
16 = 16th notes

~~~~~~ = let ring or slur from one note to another higher or lower in pitch.

16r = 16th rest any note with an lower case r means rest for that kind of note.

^^^^ = means trill

[ September 15, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 09-17-2003, 08:24 AM   #28
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

you seem to have a great talent, from what i can see! i hope your muse guides you well, for great things lie on your path of destiny. may the powers always guide you!
Old 09-17-2003, 02:50 PM   #29
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

This is the intro. Its all chord I've alread written out. Bm Am Dm from the chord list below. They are played like this. But the progreshion goes 3 times.

Bm Am Dm Am then
Bm Am Dm Am Then
Bm Am Dm Am pause for a measure letting all the notes of the last chord ring out and move into the main theme.

Let the F ring out for the next measure. The whole measure. I should hang out in the air. The rest are muted. Do this same thing with all chords. Each chord is used once for two measure then you move to the next.

1 2 3 4 let 4 ring out. Then next chord.

Bm chord
4/4 times one second per measure

A--------------------|-----------------------

F------------------Q-|-Q)))))))))))))))))))))

D------------Q-------|-----------------------

B------Q-------------|-----------------------

G-Q------------------|-----------------------

4/4 times TC

Frodo piece main theme " Frodos pain

Play D minor figure one second per measure
play softly

Bass clef

Moderately Lound
Bass clef
let all notes in each measure ring out as you play.

melody

F------------Q-------|-----------Q-----------

D--------------------|-----------------------
-------Q-----------Q-------Q------------Q----
B--------------------|-----------------------
---Q-------------------Q---------------------
G--------------------|-----------------------

Rythem

F--------------------|-----------------------

F-W))))))))))))))))))|))W))))))))))))))))))))
E--------------------------------------------
------
C-----
------
A-W)))))))))))))))))))))W))))))))))))))))))))

Let 5ths ring out for two mearures for every chord.)))))) means let ring out

This figure is played three times.
Then you move to the next chord witch does the same thing the same amount of times. The chord progresshion is. Dm Am Bm EM they look like this and are played the same as the D minor above. Except for the E major is played differently. They look like this
Same arpeggios
A minor B mimor

F--------------------|-Q-F#------------------
---Q-E---------------------------------------
D--------------------|-Q-D-------------------
---Q-C---------------------------------------
B--------------------|-Q-B-------------------
---Q-A---------------------------------------
G--------------------------------------------
-----------------------Q-F#
E--Q

C--
B----------------------Q-B
A--Q

The lowetst two notes are the notes you play the 5th rythem on.

E major New apreggio
---Q--G-------------------------------------
---Q--E--------------------------------------

B--Q--B--------------|-----------------------

---Q--E--------------------------------------

I'll write out the E major arpeggio tommarrow. I hope you all can understand this

pound out the first two notes then progressively softer. But all notes should be firmly played for E major Arpeggio.
E---------------------------Q

B----------------------Q------------Q--------
-------------------Q----------------------Q-
-------------Q-------------------------------

B------Q-------------|-----------------------

EQ------------------------------------------

4 bars of this then you go back to the earlier progreshion. All togther you should get 24 bars for each time around. You go around 3 times. So all and all there are 72 bars in the main theme. It should end on the E major arpeggio figure above.

Destroying the ring
eighth note triplets still in 4/4 times. Ever thing in the piece is.

melody
treble clef

B-8---------8----------8---|---8-------------
A--
-----8----------8---------8|--------8--------
F--------------------------|-----------------
E-------8----------8-------|--8---------8----
D--------------------------|-----------------
c--------------------------|-----------------
B--------------------------|-----------------
A--------------------------|-----------------
G--------------------------|-----------------

E--------------------------|-----------------

B-8---------|-8---------8--------8-----|-----

G-----8-----|-----8--------8---------8-|-----
F-----------|--------------------------|-----
----------8-|---------8--------8-------|-8---
D-----------|--------------------------------

B-----------|--------------------------|-----

G-----------|--------------------------|-----

E-----------|--------------------------|-----

(8r=8th note rest)

F-8----------8---------8r--------------------

D--------------------------------------------
C------8---------8
B--------------------------------------------
-----------8----------8

E--------------------------------------------

rythem 1 comes in after the second measure above play it for 2 measures
F--------------------------|-----------------

D--------------------------|-----------------
C--------------------------------------------
B--------------------------|-----------------

G--------------------------|-----------------
F--------------------------|
E--------------------------|w))))))))))))))))

C--------------------------|-----------------

A--------------------------|W))))))))))))))))

bass line comes in after the second measure of eighth notes. Only 1 measure played

Bass line
A------------------|
E----------------Qb|
F-----Q------------|

D------------------|
C-----------Q------|
B-Qr---------------|

G------------------|

So you start the eighth notes. then after a measure you hit the 5ths. Then after one measure of 5ths or two measures of eighth notes you start the bass line.

Measure 1 eighth notes
measure 2 5th and eighth notes
measure 3 bass line, 5ths, and eighth notes

Then you just play eighth notes, 5ths, and bass lines all at the same time. One measure each.

Play three sets of eighth notes for each arpeggio. It will over lap on the notatshion. I've composed it so that each series sets up the next set of notes to all blend togther.

chord progresshion for 8th notes is:

A (thats the one I wrote above),Eb minor,Ab minor,G minor
They look like this.
E minor-----------------Eb minor

B--Q-----------------|--Qb-------------------

G--Q-----------------|--Qb-------------------

E--Q-----------------|--Qb-------------------

G minor and A minor
F--------------------|--Q--------------------
E--Q
C-----------------------Q
B--Q-----------------|-----------------------
A-----------------------Q
G--Q-----------------|-----------------------

E--------------------|-----------------------

The 5ths for each are:

Play these 5ths over the chord indicated when you play the piece.

A minor gets a Eb. Eb minor gets a Ab
-----------------------Qb

B--Qb----------------|-----------------------
-----------------------Qb

E--Qb----------------|-----------------------

Ab minor gets a G. G gets a A.
------------------------Q
D-Q------------------|-----------------------

A-----------------------Q
G-Q------------------|-----------------------

Play these 5ths over those chords. The chords are apreggiated like the 8th notes above.
You pause for a rest at the beggining of evey measure so they are played exactly this way. There played just like in the notatshion above.

Bass line notes:

This is for A minor. This ones for E minor

F-Q------------------|-----------------------
E------------Qb
C-------Q
B--------------------|--Q--------------------
-------------------------------------Q
G--------------------|---------Q-------------

this one for Ab minor. Finaly this for G min

A-------------------------------------Q
B--Q-----------------|--Q--------------------

G----------------Q---|-----------------------
F--------Qb----------|-----------------------
---------------------|--------Qb---------

You play the beggining witch is three bars. Then this chord progresshion witch is A Eb Ab G. Each chord gets one measure. So there are four measures in each section. Four sections in all.

Three for the beggining. Then 16 bars of chords. Or play the progresshion three times with the bass line and rythem.

One measure for each chord. Still with me?
Thats 16 measurs of chord changes and three of beggining. Thats 19 all togther.

Then you play this

Run this A chord down cromaticly or at half step intervels till you get to the E. So it goes A 123 notes Ab 123 notes then B 123 notes till you get down to E. They move slower and slower as you go down. So the piece is winding down
F-8------------------------------------------

D--------------------------------------------

B-----8--------------------------------------

E-------------------------------------------

Now for the ending

Rythem is

B--W
G---------------------W
E--W
C---------------------W

C-W----
B----------------------W

F-W------------------|-----------------------
E----------------------W

Hold the last chord for two measures

Melody

---H-----------------------------------H
D----------H#--------|-----------------------
-------------------------H#------------------

---H#------------------------H#
B--------------H-----|---------------H-------

B-------------H------|-----------------------
-----H#--------------------H#--------H-------

-----H#-------H------------------------H
G--------------------|------H----------------

G-----H--------------|-------H---------------
-------------H------------------------H

G--------------H-----|-----------------------
------H-------------------H------------------
E--------------------|---------------H-------

------H--------------
E-----------H--------|--------------H--------
---------------------------H-----------------

Ok eveyone you play that figure above twice then you pound this chord.

B----W---------------|---W-------------------

G----W---------------|---W-------------------
-------
-----W-------------------W

Let the last chord ring out for three second. then its all over whoooo hooo thats it tis done.

[ September 23, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 09-17-2003, 05:03 PM   #30
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Wow! This is so cool. I know you're probably very busy with all these requests but when you get done I hope you'll do one for me too.

I've been playing piano for a long time and it's my favorite instrument. Though I also play violin and claranet if you're intrested.

My favorite character is Samwise. I feel that he would enjoy folk songs. I've tried writing music for him myself with a little program I have but to no avail. If you could spare some time to do a little piece for me.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:53 PM   #31
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

All I can say is WOW! This is amazing, Eruantalon! Once you finish with the pieces you're doing, I'd like to request one too, if you have the time. This is my sixth year of playing the violin. I guess I'll have to think about what character I'd want. I have no talent when it comes to writing music, so I'm really in awe of some one who can!! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2003, 06:46 PM   #32
Maylin
Haunting Spirit

Maylin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maylin
Sting

*imagines a saxophone piece for Sam and a rock guitar rift for Pippin* scary... anyhow...Sam seems like the kinda of person who would want something he could work while listening to, with a tempo that stays pretty steady. I play guitar and Tenor sax, with a little bit of piano, but I'm not exceptionally good at any of them. ( guitar is my best, though)

[ September 18, 2003: Message edited by: Maylin ]
Maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 07:31 PM   #33
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

I'll be happy to make you guys pieces when I'm done with these. But with all these pieces it will take a while. But I don't think I will mind doing 4 more.

Thanks for looking into this. I'll have a piece up soon. So maybe some of you can try that one on for size before I make a piece for you.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:26 PM   #34
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

Recorder piece for Luthien

4/4 times one second per measure
\\\\\ slashes mean slur or slide to the next note indicated

(((( these mean to hold or let sustain between two or to just hold.

E-----------------Q--|--------Q------Q-------
D------Q-----Q--\\\\-|-Q\\\\\\\--------------
C-Q---------------------------------------Q--

E---------------H----|------------Q----------
D--------Q\\\\\\\-------Q--------------------
C-Q---------------------------------------H((

D
C((((((((W------------

Thats only a few bars. I'll do more and more each day. its late and once I get started I can't really stop. There are about 55 bars in all in this piece. This is only a few bars of the intro. The first phrasing that is.

F---------------------Q
E------------------Q\\\-----Q----------------
D-----Q-----Q\\\\\\\-|------------Q----------
CQ-------------------|------------------Q----

E--------------------|-----------------Q\\\\\
DQ-------------------|-----Q-----Q\\\\\\-----
C------Q------H------|Q----------------------

G--------------------|-------------H---------
\\\Q
E-------Q------------|-------Q---------------
D------------Q-------|-Q---------------------
C-----------------Q--|-----------------------

Thats the whole intro

C-------Q
B-Q\\\\\\----Q-------|-------Q---------------
A-----------------Q----Q------------Q
G--------------------|-------------------Q\\\

C--------------------|-----------------------

C---------------------------Q
B--------------------|-Q\\\\\-----Q----------
A\\Q-----------------------------------Q
G-------Q------------|-----------------------
F-------------Q
E------------------Q-|-----------------------
C--------------------|-----------------------

Thats part of the main theme theres 25 bars in it. Theres only 4 bars but I'm trying to get 10 or more bars a day up.

[ September 21, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 09-20-2003, 10:10 PM   #35
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

Arwen piano and violin piece For Dancing spawn.

4/4 times
Play the D major for the 5 bars shown then switch to the same pattern for the A major chord. Play all the notes in the A major the same way as the D major. Do that back and forth for 25 measures. The last 5 should bring you back to the D major. Play that one softly.

So it should go D A D A D then go into the main theme or verse.

D--------------------|-----------W)))))))))))

A--))))))W)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

F-------W))))))))))))|)))))))))))))))))))))))

D))))))))))))))))))))|--W))))))))))))))))))))

A))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

F------------Q-------|-----------------------

D-------Q---------Q--|-----------------------

A--Q-----------------------------------------

Repeat this pattern for the first chords. D Major and this A Major.

A major

C------Q#------------------------------------
A------Q-------------------------------------

E------Q-------------------------------------

Main theme to Arwen piece

A major

E--H)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

C----------H)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

A--------------------|-----H)))))))))))))))))
---------------------------------------H)))))

E--H)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

C----------H)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

A--------------------|-----H)))))))))))))))))
---------------------------------------H)))))

Do the same for the next chords the same amount of bars. they are F major, A major lower, D major. They look like this.

F Major...............low A minor............

C-------Q

A-------Q------------|-----------------------

F-------Q------------|-----------------------
E------------------------------Q
C-------Q----------------------Q
-------------------------------Q

E------------------------------Q

D Major

F-------Q#-----------|-----------------------

D-------Q------------|-----------------------

--------Q

D-------Q

Well the progresshion goes like this:
A major
F majo
A major
F major
A major
F major
A minor catch this its a minor
D major
A minor
F major
Then repeat the whole thing one more time!

Thats the main theme. Its supposed to evoke the beauty and majesty of Queen Arwen. The intro is simple and quit as to say there are beautifull things to come. Its quit simple to accent the many chord changes in the main theme.

When you all play the A major to F major shift you will hear why I did it three times. Its quit pretty and will give the violin time to really play.

Dancing if you have any questshions just let me know. I'm happy to help anyone learn and develope more as composers. If I didn't have good friends I wouldn't be able to do a half decent job. Its nothing amazing but I think its pretty.

Old 09-21-2003, 09:16 AM   #36
Mischievous Candle

Sting

Oh thank You so much!!!
Well, I have to be a bit stupid but what soes that 'W' and 'Q' mean?

I can't wate until I have a chance to play it!
Thanks!
Old 09-21-2003, 11:35 AM   #37
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

I might be wrong, so don't take my word completely, but I'm guess W and Q are whole and quarter notes.

Fea

Off topic: has anyone ever played the song Cherish? Where does it come from?
Old 09-21-2003, 05:32 PM   #38
Eruantalon
Wight

Thumbs up

Ahh give Feanor a cigar. You got that one right. I PM Dancing that already. But thank you for the help!

Nope sorry don't know anything about that song. Anyone else?
Old 09-21-2003, 07:02 PM   #39
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

I think I've given the two of you a little to chew on for tommarrow. I'm going to finish the Frodo piece tommorrow. So my first piece will be done!!!
Old 09-23-2003, 09:11 PM   #40
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

First piece is up hope you all enjoy it!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]