The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-31-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Werewolf XLII, Mist in the Barrow Downs

It was a dark, misty night. The wind was howling on the Barrow Downs and a deep sense of foreboding seemed to fill the air. Breathing deep sense of foreboding in is something that most species of living creatures find awfully displeasing and so they run away, coincidentally finding safer places (after all, anywhere is safer than a place where the air is full of a deep sense of foreboding.)

However, humans are notoriously lacking on deep sense of foreboding senses. An elf would’ve looked up and muttered “my heart is filled with dread, let us be wary and be away from this place”. A Dwarf would’ve growled in deep tones, ran his fingers through his beard and doggedly crossed the place without ever stopping to admire the scenery (which was covered by mist anyway). A hobbit with good hobbit-sense would’ve simply ran away.

But humans? They lacked the common sense of a good squirrel, the keen heart of an elf, or even the sense of purpose and determination of a dwarf. Curiously enough, the fact that they were all braver than an average hobbit was a problem this time around. Instead, a group of men (and women) from all sorts of places and all sorts of lifestyles came together at the precise centre of the Barrow Downs, all at the same time. It was a most curious phenomenon, since none of them had any idea that the others were near-by and they had –of course- not agreed to meet there at all.

One elderly man looked around the faces and frowned. Then he opened his
mouth. Closed it again. Then he sighed and with a resigned sigh he said:

-“Let me guess. We are a ragtag bunch of companions who need to come
together and overcome their differences in order to defeat a common enemy.”

The mist stopped dead on its tracks. The sense of foreboding disappeared all of a sudden, and a deep, loud voice boomed “Well, I was planning on that...you know, throwing a few random encounters at you, causing a little drama, before having you all fight the most scary-looking monster in the Dungeon Master Boo- I mean in Middle Earth! Now I suppose I shall do something different something much more worse. Laughs evilishly”

-“You are supposed to laugh, not just say it” Said the old man

-“Farael! Stop this, I’m trying to set the mood here”

-“and you su-“ But lightning and thunder cut-off Farael’s very witty remark.
The fog was back, and so was the deep sense of foreboding which once again the men and women in the group failed to notice. However, some in the group did feel a slight tingling sensation. “hehehe it tickles” said one of them, but unfortunately the mist was so thick that no-one could see who it had been.

Alright, that was an intro for the game. You are all invited to post here to sign up for the game. The theme is a mix of pen and paper Role Playing Game and the Mist in the Barrow Downs chapter of the books. A group of travellers come to the barrow downs by chance and they are attacked by the Ghost Prince of Cardolan and his minions. Or would’ve been, hadn’t one of them spoken out and challenged the mod. Now he has thought of a much more cunning plan.

Werewolves

I know, I didn’t see it coming either. The game will be a regular Werewolf game, with two or three wolves and one or two gifted. There will be a bit of a twist actually, and it is that there will be two awards at the end of the game (other than you know, the winner of the game).

*First of all, there will be an award for the player who has chosen a character and done the most effort to stay in-character for as long as possible, as good as possible.

*Second, there will be an award for the player who makes me laugh the most. I want the game to be friendly and light-hearted, so being funny is a plus.
There are no real benefits to the awards, other than a bit of recognition. However, if I feel a player is taking advantage of this to be nonsensical and avoid suspicion (while effectively avoiding contributing anything to the game) this player will be warned and if the behaviour continues s/he will be removed through a freak accident on space-time continuum.

So if you’d like to try it out, you are welcome to join! Post here to sign up, and when we have close to enough people we’ll discuss a start date.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Roa sighed and began to look over her character sheets again. I don't have any ranks in survival, of course. Why did I choose a Duskblade over a Ranger? Oh that's right, Duskblades rock.... She chuckled a littled bit as she stroked her dice bags. When Farael had asked her along, she'd agreed as a favor. She'd thought co-mod was like a co-DM. It was looking less and less likely, however. She could only hope there wouldn't be a TPK.

This mist kept swirling, and some got into her eyes and mouth. Roa coughed violently for a minute, before recognizing the way it smelled. Covering her nose and mouth, she moved towards the thickest spot of the mist. She felt around for a minute, and then found what she was looking for.

"Aha!" she cried triumphantly as she held up a power cord. The mist began to dissapate and a small fog machine appeard at the base of the tree. "That's much better. Now we can all breath while... we..." Roa dropped off as mist swirled ominously about her feet. A deep chuckle sounded through the woods, and she groaned.

"Don't tell me," she began.

"That's right," boomed the voice, "I picked up a few spares. Now stop ruining the Scene."

"Scene? What gaming system are we using here?" Roa desperately began to look for her other set of rule books.

"What else?" said the voice, "This is Werewolf, after all." Roa began to panic as she realized she'd left most of her d10's at home...

To be continued....

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Is this where we sign up?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Is this where we sign up?
"Ah, it is our friend Gwathagor, bringer of rhetorical questions," said Sally with a laugh. "Yes, my dear friend, if you think you are able to handle a task such as this Werewolf game, you shall notify our mod-gods Farael and Roa at this location. Might I suggest you bring an offering of sarcasm or silly banter to please them?"

OOC note: you all KNOW my duck's a-coming back in this game, right? Because I didn't do her justice in the last game.

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 01-31-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: bolding and the P.S.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Gwathagor ShadowBlade, Scourge of the North, Defender of Truth, Terror to the Lawless, Friend to the Fatherless and the Oppressed was sick and tired. Despite being a level 41 Ninja-Elf (Sign: Thief, Class: Scout, Guild: Warrior), who could do 1,305 damage to all enemies (save the Grand Half-Orc Claw-of-Doom-bearing Wizard of the Fourth-and-a-Quarter Dungeon) within a 30-foot x D20 radius with his favored Sword of the Godly Winds ability, he found himself bored. In addition to be being bored, he had a stuffy nose. He had just slain 3 armies of 500 and their gryphotaur captains on an unspecified hill-top, and had sat down to catch his breath, when he discovered that he wasn't having fun anymore.

The realization hit him like a thunderbolt. He wiped his nose. Sniff.

"What am I doing here? Am I really happy? Did I miss my true calling? Is this a mid-life crisis? Hold on....I'm immortal, that's impossible. I don't have a mid-life."

This wasn't strictly true. ShadowBlade was not an elf; he only played one in D&D.

One of the abject gryphotaur minions was still alive. He leapt up and ran at ShadowBlade with a blood-curdling screech. Absent-mindedly, Gwathagor ShadowBlade flung his Battle-Axe of Cold Northern Death 100 feet or so, splitting the beast cleanly in two.

"I need a holiday," he declared.

However, he only thing his travel agent could find was a Werewolf game taking place in the Barrow-Downs. He packed immediately, and caught the nearest stagecoach to the Downs, ignoring several pleas for help along the way.

He thought it would be fun.

He had no idea it would be dangerous.

[Note: I prefer to be referred to as Gwathagor, BUT if you INSIST on finding something shorter, then I will settle for Gwath, as that seems to be a common truncation of the full name. As long as you don't call me Gwathy, we can be friends.]

Last edited by Gwathagor; 01-31-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Gwathagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Suddenly Sally realized what she had signed herself up for, and she momentarily considered withdrawing from her obligation. "Such a strange event, to play a game where the players hunt each other at night, and lynch each other at sunset! A game where the object is to murder other players viciously without a second thought as to their feelings, ambitions, or lives outside the situation." Sally paused a bit to reflect upon her thoughts. "Sounds like Christmas with my kinsmen at home," she admitted flatly.

Sally turned around to see Gwath arriving across the way. "Interesting, another victim, erm, I mean player. Nice to meet you." Sally extended her hand to Gwath, but he stood motionless, save for his eyes darting around the Barrow-Downs, taking in that which surrounded them both. "Are you all right, sir? You seem shaken up. This is the Barrow-Downs, host site for our game of Werewolf. Does the scenery surprise you?"

Gwath's bags dropped to the ground, and Sally hastily picked them up for him, noting that he seemed to have packed lightly for such an adventure, and led him to the nearest place to sit. "Here, sit down, rest awhile. Would you like something to-" Gwath finally spoke to her. Only three words, but after hearing them Sally knew it was okay to leave Gwath to his own devices. "This....This....," stammered Gwath. "What is it?" probed Sally. Gwath looked her square in the eye and replied, "This....is....AWESOME!"

OOC note: yeah, I'm too lazy to type it all out. Tried ShadowBlade for a post since it was in yours, but still too much

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 01-31-2008 at 10:47 PM. Reason: typo hehe. and the p.s. i seem to like those today.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:34 PM   #7
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
McCaber, the new guy in the group, was sitting off to the side with a glum expression on his face. "Seriously, why do we have to do D&D now? I've been waiting for the 40K game for five years, I get one of the last copies ever, and to add insult to injury they shut down the company within hours of when I finally got my book. No, I'm not bitter at all about that."

The DM spoke to him with displeasure in his voice. "If you really want to leave, you may. But everyone else will get all of the treasure and XP ever."

"You wouldn't!"

"Try me. If you leave, Roa gets double experience for every encounter, just to make up for last time."

McCaber struggled to contain his fury. "Fine, I'll play," he said, "but let's make it a quick game. All right, my character is a cleric named Richard the Unobscure. He's Lawful Evil, despises the rest of the party, has no qualms with manipulating others to get his way, and may even resort to sm- "

"Now that's enough. Please, this is a serious game."

"Alright, but I'm keeping the class and name. I can come up with background for him on the fly, if I really need to." McCaber grabs a book, his dice, and character sheets. He is ready for the challenge.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:31 AM   #8
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
A merry-looking young woman appeared from nowhere.

"Well, she couldn't have been there before, for otherwise she would have already joined in the discussion as she's such a chatterbox", her player said defensively, expecting the game master/dungeon master/whatever he should be called to protest to her character Thinlómien appearing from nowhere.

"Hello. I'm Thinlómien of the Dúnedain. You may wonder why do I have a Sindarin name. That's simply because I'm named after my Elven grandmother." Oh, now I sound like I was bragging about my bloodlines... not a good start of making friends... Thus she turned to the others, smiling a bit apologetically. Still, she couldn't help feeling a bit superior. Or maybe it was just her player feeling superior. "Richard? Is that a proper ME name? I don't think so. I mean, I confess giving some minor NPCs uncanonical names when I was a GM but you... you name your character Richard. Now I'm glad the Prof is already dead and doesn't need to hear of such a horrible crime." But unfortunately Thinlómien's player, like her character, had never been good in faking anything. A mischevious smile in her eyes revealed that she was only bantering with this new McCaber guy.

Then she turned to Sally and Gwathagor. She exchanged conspiratory glances with Sally. "Last game was excellent, my friend", she grinned, "let's be as excellent this time."

"Gwathagor? Unless I'm mistaken, you're new here. Welcome. It is more fun that you can even imagine."

"Roa, Farael, are you there? I think Thinlómien should receive extra bonuses to her wisdom and intelligence, being of Elvish descent... oh, and also to dexterity and charisma... and maybe strength and constitution too? You know, Elves are so good at everything..."
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:46 AM   #9
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
"Roa, Farael, are you there? I think Thinlómien should receive extra bonuses to her wisdom and intelligence, being of Elvish descent... oh, and also to dexterity and charisma... and maybe strength and constitution too? You know, Elves are so good at everything..."
I object, as I have a grudge against Elven characters. Can't stand them, infact. I might have to give you some penalties....

Old 02-01-2008, 03:49 AM   #10
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife View Post
I object, as I have a grudge against Elven characters. Can't stand them, infact. I might have to give you some penalties....
Thinlómien's player's brow furrowed and then her expression turned to a (rather uncomfortable) smile. "But Roa, my friend. She is only 1/4 elf so surely that makes her count as a human, right?"
Old 02-01-2008, 04:02 AM   #11
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Thinlómien's player's brow furrowed and then her expression turned to a (rather uncomfortable) smile. "But Roa, my friend. She is only 1/4 elf so surely that makes her count as a human, right?"
Alright, I'll let it slide.... THIS time.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:01 AM   #12
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
It seemed no one had noticed the stout elderly man who carried his Rolemaster-books under his arm. He followed the discussion for a while before entering it.

"Brains, not bonuses my friends...", he began. Then he pulled the d10's from his pockets and shook his hand before throwing the dices to the ground. "And a little luck to be sure...", he smiled after recognising the result.

After picking the d10's up he took his character sheet and marked the result of his throw into it looking at the sheet thoughtfully for a moment. He adjusted a few stats and folded the sheet back in between the pages of his Character law & Campaign law. He looked around pleased.

"Okay I'm called Nogrod. That's not my real name to be sure as that is Akseli but you need not bother yourselves with it."

Suddenly he recognised a most familiar looking face among people gathered around. "Ahh, Thinlómien of the Dúnedain! How nice to see you! And already bantering about things with weak arguments. What's wrong with Richard when the prof. himself used names like Bill and Sam? I mean even if someone wishes to be called Timmy that should be okay. It's their own shame." He smiled heartily to the Dúnedain.

"I'm in. But don't expect me to flood the discussion this time. I think it's a high time for me to try and change my tactics in these Werewolf games. Let's see if I manage to do that..." There was an ironic smile in his face as he shook his head. "Let's see..."
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #13
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
"I'm in. But don't expect me to flood the discussion this time. I think it's a high time for me to try and change my tactics in these Werewolf games. Let's see if I manage to do that..." There was an ironic smile in his face as he shook his head. "Let's see..."
"Haven't you said that in the planning stages of four or five preveous games?" said a very self-content voice.

Nogrod turned towards the voice and saw a large black shape lumbering through the fog.

Whoever this gigantic person was, he was now talking in a rather impatient fashion to someone else. "Slow down Bungo! You don't want to give a bad impression of me, do you? Now, now set me down so I can see them all".

"Ook", answered a deep inhuman voice, which suited better to the big lumbering creature.

A black gorilla entered the circle and took off the painting that hung on his neck on a heavy golden chain. He sat down with a thump and set the painting in front of himself.

"And so we meet again, Nogrod!" said the self-content voice of the painting. The painting was of a man with a broad moustache, wearing an odd light brown jacket and hat. The painting turned his gaze away from Nogrod and said, "As you all know, I am Volo and I detest funny people. I want to get this over with as quickly as possible because my team will leave to explore the Alps in exactly two weeks".
Old 02-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #14
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
A pair of dice gently rolled down the steep hill. The pips on their sides kept flashing with bright yellow colors on the deep purple background.

"Smoke on the waa..."

I said background.

"Stop that CD player," the DM said, pointing to the other side of the room. "We are not going to hear a word. We'd better prepare everything - should I make a recapitulation of the last session?"
"I can hear you well even with the CD playing," spoke the player sitting on the DM's right. "And besides, we need to wait still for Viktor and Milan to come."
"Viktor wrote that he's coming late," said a voice from the kitchen. "But I say we start without him. Do you want the crisps now or later?"
"Whose is this dice?" the DM asked.
"Probably mine," said the youngest and smallest of the players. "Then put it away from the map," the DM ordered him. "This is the steep hill you camped upon the last time. The trolls you spotted..."
"Look, I managed to catch the net here! Is that wi-fi of yours fixed?" one of the players screamed.
"No, you are catching the neighbour's."
"Viktor just wrote that he is stuck in a traffic jam."
"Oh yes, I don't want crisps, do you happen to have some jam?"
"...as I said, the trolls..."
"And Milan, as I know him, is coming at least an hour later. That's typical. Did he ever come on time?"
"...the trolls you spotted..."
"I think he didn't. Oh, look, it runs perfectly smoothly. How fast connection does your neighbour have?"
"...trolls are down there. Look, if you don't want to listen to me..."
"Well, I don't know about jam, but I could call Viktor to buy something when he's on the way."
"Where's your tortoise? He's not inside the vivarium anymore."
"He's crawling on the map. Isn't he going to eat the dice?"
"Not sure. Can we use him instead of a troll figure? What do you say, DM?"
"DM?"
"Where is DM?"
The mist did not move even by the slightest breath of the wind. The Barrow Downs were covered in an impenetrable veil of cold vapours, and the shadowy figures speaking softly with each other were almost unseen on further distance than a few yards. The character of the ex-DM stepped as close as he dared and lifted a hand in greeting. "Salutations, good people. Am I on the right place for hunting Werewolves? Or, being hunted, for that matter?" When he did not get immediate answer, he continued. "Silence gives consent, I take it, so I'm glad to join you." He reached his hand in turn to each of the present ones. "I am called Grimburgoth, son of Herion and Peath. I come from Geann A-Lisch. You never heard of it? It's in the Drúwaith Iaur, a mighty fortress of the Dark Lord. Well, more like a ruin now." He looked around at the stern faces. "Well, as I said, they call me Grimburgoth, but that's secret - not for you, because it does not concern you. My current mission is to act as an agent and pretend that I am certain... Legate of Amon Lanc. You can call me Legate if you wish, at least it will help me if there are opposing forces around and listening. I know you are going to call me that anyway." He winked at one of the bystanders. "I am having a break currently from my mission, because -" a chuckle louder than thunder resounded all over the place and Grimburgoth looked up into the mist "- well, because my opponents are not ready to face me yet."
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 02-01-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #15
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
With a loud pop, the fat highwayman Dúnadan turned into a young Rohir man who was stroking his little grey kitten with one hand and his chin with the other, and then into a young and rather short she-creature with a hooknose, long nails and a wide grin.

"Sorry if you were scared by the noise," Aganzir said in a charming, Northeastern accent and didn't sound sorry at all. "It took me a while to decide which of these wonderful persons I'd like to play... And I ended up with the most wonderful, of course."

She took her crumbled and stearin-stained character sheet from her pocket and tore it into pieces, then looked at her two pretty-coloured d10's almost sadly and threw them away.

"I am fed up with rules and restrictions. And besides, if I have played Rolemaster for all my life (well, almost), I'm not going to change that to D&D. I will do without."

She looked around her and counted quickly those that weren't still lurking in the mist.

"One, two, three... seven. Plus Grandpa Farael and Lady Roa," she nodded at them courteously. "It seems that almost half of us are here already."

Then she bothered to look with whom she would be playing.

"I'm actually a bit scared of Uncle Gwathy..." She stressed word Gwathy. "He looks so... violent. And- it can't be sally and Lommy!" She blinked her eyes innocently. "Have we met one another before? No? I'm surely just mixing you up with some of my old... friends. Oh well. Cab, do you mind if I call you Wagner?"

Aganzir looked at the man who bore noticeable resemblance to one Alastor Moody she had once seen long ago. "Akseli had a good point about names the Prof used. And I have a bad feeling about Lommy. Really, she's accusing someone of something she's doing herself as well!"

Aganzir smirked nastily when she noticed the gorilla and the painting. The gorilla didn't do a thing to stop her when she took a brush and a little tube of Alizarin Crimson and painted the man's lips and cheeks. Then she clapped her hands, seemingly delighted.

Farael, shouldn't you add an I in the title?
And what will be the deadline?

edit: xed with Leggy
Old 02-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #16
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Farael, shouldn't you add an I in the title?
And what will be the deadline?
The mist swirled, twirled and... hmm... got thicker-ed? Bolts of lightning were seen on the distance. Or would've been if it wasn't for the mist, but still, the light of... well, you know what I mean.

The Mod was displeased

"Where is my I?" boomed his voice.

The players looking at each other with fear on their eyes. They were so fearful that they even started laughing. And pointing. It was high school all over again!

------------------------------------------------------

It seems I've forgotten to add an extra I to the title. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Also, I was waiting until more people were around to set the deadline. It would probably be later-ish in the evening on North American times, as I cannot guarantee I'd be around at any other time. I'm thinking 7 or 8 PM CT (which I think is GMT-6) would work best for me. However, should we have (as it looks likely now) a large amount of European players, I might make the deadline 9 AM CT, which would be 3 PM GMT.

So, to make this fair, I'll give you folks two times and we'll see which one works better for most

First one is 7 or 8 PM CT

Second one is 9 AM CT

Also, here's the list of who has signed up so far... Let me know if I left anyone out:

Aganzir
Legate
Volo
Nogrod
Lommy
McCaber
Sally
Gwathagor (oh the wonders of copy+paste)

For a total of eight players. And of course
Roa and Farael as co-mods.

We still need at least four more people. As an incentive, for every player over 12 that signs up, I will add a number of half-werewolves who have repented from their werewolvish ways. In essence, they are just like an ordo, but with another name. However, you know you want to be a half-werewolf... so tell your friends to join in!
Old 02-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #17
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael View Post
It seems I've forgotten to add an extra I to the title. Does anyone know how to fix that?
Yep. PM Morm to do it. The mods can change the titles of the threads. We ordinary deceased have no power over a title that we let go from our hands... They are the final GMs.

Quote:
I'm thinking 7 or 8 PM CT (which I think is GMT-6) would work best for me. However, should we have (as it looks likely now) a large amount of European players, I might make the deadline 9 AM CT, which would be 3 PM GMT.
So, to make this fair, I'll give you folks two times and we'll see which one works better for most
First one is 7 or 8 PM CT
Second one is 9 AM CT
Do you mean with CT actually CST which is GMT(/UTC) -6?

That would mean in Finland either 4AM (8PM CST) or 5PM (9AM CST). So you can just guess which one we would support...
(Legate's hours are -1 to Finland so I guess he might side with us here.)

Adding Legate to the tally we have 5/8 (as far as I know) coming from these East-European time-zones... Well just recruit more Americans to shift the balance...

And anyways: traditional Werewolf on offer which everyone were waiting for. C'mon people!
Old 02-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #18
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
(Legate's hours are -1 to Finland so I guess he might side with us here.)
Right you are.

One more thing. Please, I don't want to be disturbing, but for all further American Mods, I'd have a pleading request: I don't know how you are accustomed to count the time, but I would like to kindly ask you to try and post all times in GMT! As far as I know, GMT is worldwide-used main time (why, since it's called MAIN time), and for us Europeans, and mainly for us who are on bad terms with maths, it is terribly difficult to count anything on other terms! Surely everyone knows, or can very easily check, what his time is in relation to GMT; but I have never heard about things like CT before so I don't even know what it is and where it is used (well, I have an idea, but you got the point). I could also formulate it the way that we are lucky we don't have Asian Downers playing, though what is not now, may come in the future, and for this reason things like main time have been invented. Of course Farael did include GMT, but that is also for other people who read this (and, to be picky, even you, Farael, first wrote CT and GMT mentioned only once as a side issue and not in the main proposal of yours where it sticks out).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 02-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #19
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

That will be 8 AM for me. I can be there at deadlines if that's the time. I may only post who died and then come back with a story later (after I wake up more) but I can do it.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #20
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommie

"Seems to me like Miss Lommie may be getting a bit of a big head, which I can unsterstand for someone of her breeding," quipped Sally.

Ummmmm well.... neither of the deadlines are particularly attractive to me, but I would vote for the 7-8pm CT DL because it's the better of the two by a slight margin. The mornings I'll be in class (or on my way to class I should say) but the evenings I'll be gone half the time and would have to post/vote like 3-4 hours pre-DL.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #21
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, we can't decide until we have everyone on board, but right now it's looking like 9 AM CST (3 PM GMT if my complex mathematical models* are correct).

The question is, will you Europeans be able to contribute at that time? It may very well be during work-hours for you folks, so keep that in mind. The game will not have retractable votes, so being around at the deadline won't be as crucial.

------------------------------------------------------------
*By complex mathematical models, Farael means five fingers in one hand and the thumb on the other.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #22
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Well, we can't decide until we have everyone on board, but right now it's looking like 9 AM CST (3 PM GMT if my complex mathematical models* are correct).

The question is, will you Europeans be able to contribute at that time? It may very well be during work-hours for you folks, so keep that in mind. The game will not have retractable votes, so being around at the deadline won't be as crucial.
Speaking just for myself, as long as we have the exam time, which is still for some two weeks into the future, I should have time to appear around the DL, as my time is technically not limited by anything (and certainly not in the afternoons).
Old 02-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #23
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Ummmmm well.... neither of the deadlines are particularly attractive to me, but I would vote for the 7-8pm CT DL because it's the better of the two by a slight margin. The mornings I'll be in class (or on my way to class I should say) but the evenings I'll be gone half the time and would have to post/vote like 3-4 hours pre-DL.
The one you like with "a slight margin" would be something like 3 or 4 AM in our time (four to five players this far of those enrolled would have that middle of the night then) so if that margin really is slight let's make it the other one?

Okay we still need a few players and let's see from wherever they come from...
Old 02-01-2008, 09:42 PM   #24
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
The one you like with "a slight margin" would be something like 3 or 4 AM in our time (four to five players this far of those enrolled would have that middle of the night then) so if that margin really is slight let's make it the other one?

Okay we still need a few players and let's see from wherever they come from...
That's what I figured. Hence why it was a slight margin, if at all. Either one is fine with me. I may just have to vote before I go to bed or whatnot because I'm not a morning person, which shouldn't be that big of a deal anyway.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:53 AM   #25
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Let me make sure I understand this: Is the "deadline" we choose the time at which the Day ends and the Night begins? If that's the case, I'd vote for 9 pm Central Time (that is what CT stands for, isn't it?). Sorry. It's my first game. I don't know what I'm doing.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #26
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Let me make sure I understand this: Is the "deadline" we choose the time at which the Day ends and the Night begins? If that's the case, I'd vote for 9 pm Central Time (that is what CT stands for, isn't it?). Sorry. It's my first game. I don't know what I'm doing.
Yes, the Deadline is the time when Day ends and Night begins and in fact, also the time when Night ends and Day begins.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #27
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
The question is, will you Europeans be able to contribute at that time?
I have exams next week, but after that Tuesday and Thursday may prove a little problematic for me (assuming it's day, not night, that is ending then). But if the deadline was 8 pm ct, my contribution would stop about eight hours before the deadline every day (well, except weekends).

I know this thread hasn't been up for long yet, but should you start sending some invitations? I guess there should be several people who are interested in a simple game but don't know about this.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #28
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
The fates are conspiring against me to make me eat my words, it seems.

I'll help you fill a spot if you can't find anyone else. Consider me a reserve?
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #29
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I know this thread hasn't been up for long yet, but should you start sending some invitations? I guess there should be several people who are interested in a simple game but don't know about this.
Yes, I will do it this afternoon... the problem for me is that I haven't really been around much and the people I used to talk to are no longer here, or are here very rarely. Still, I'll see what I can come up with.

Players are also welcome to invite other people if they'd like!
Old 02-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #30
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:

Hate to ask a silly question, but is the proposed deadline 9am CT or 9pm? Just to ensure that I know when I need to be around.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:04 AM   #31
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Hate to ask a silly question, but is the proposed deadline 9am CT or 9pm? Just to ensure that I know when I need to be around.
I think 9am CT is winning at the moment because of these nassty European Downers.

Farael, could you please put a questionmark after my name. Playing this game might not work as I have my calender fully booked for the next two weeks after which I'm leaving to Switzerland where I might not be able to play. But because I'd really love to do some wolf-hunting I won't say "no" yet.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #32
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
"Oooh!"

The fat, lazy cat (that was neither particularly little nor green) that had been lurking by the edges of the crowd suddenly transformed into an evil stepmother, a tall woman with pinned-up black hair, a fancy dark green dress, a sour face, and, most importantly, bony hands with unnaturally long fingers.

"So. What naughty have you done behind my back?" Her gaze swept the crowd, icy-cold. "Arguing about time zones, are you? Asking silly questions? Tearing character sheets to pieces? Bragging about family lines? Uncivilised, shameful kids. As a punishment, you shall all be locked into... into..." She looked around, desperately trying to find some place where she could lock the naughty kids in, but found nothing suitable. "...into hell when you die", she finished, straightening the hem of her gown.

"I am your stepmother, though I dislike the task even more than I dislike you. My name is Anjelica Primadonna Alexandra Lilia Isabella Serafina Victoria Geri Whatever Whatever. You may call me Stepmother, but if you want a shortening for my name it shall be Lily, or Greenie, after the shade of my dress, see." She pointed at her hem.

"Deadlines. Do they mean the time when naughty kids should be home...?"

--------

Both of the deadlines are a little problematic, but I suppose I can cope with them. the 3 PM GMT would be 5 PM in here, so... Well I have lessons until 4.15 every day I think, so I'll be home around 4.45, so I'll have a good fifteen minutes before the deadline. I'd rather have that than the other, though, because it is indeed 4 AM in here and I'm not very intrigued by that option.

So, either way, I probably won't be around at the deadline every Day. Nevertheless I'd vouch for the 3 PM GMT.

And, out of curiosity, what is a DM? Is it something important?
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:22 AM   #33
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
And, out of curiosity, what is a DM? Is it something important?
Nothing to worry about, DM = Dungeon Master... the "mod" in pen and paper Role Playing games.

The list so far

Aganzir
Legate
Volo
Nogrod
Lommy
McCaber
Sally
Gwathagor
A Little Green
Shasta?
Volo?

We are getting closer to my (lowest) goal of 12 players. I'd like to clarify one thing though

There is no need to stay in character, nor there is need to be funny in all of your posts. As I said, the "awards" at the end of the game are mostly meaningless, other than a little recognition. However, I remember a time when Werewolf was fun to play throughout, not just fun to play in those last exciting moments when the game comes down the line. I'm doing my best to make it a little more fun Farael style.

Finally, it looks like you bunch of Europeans are going to rule over us North Americans with regards to the deadline. However North Americans do not despair! It is not the end of the world if a few of us are not around for the deadline.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Farael was frowning. "Hey, Misty where was the fun on your last post?"

-"If you must know, I am not your personal clown Master Farael"
-"But you said"
-I KNOW WHAT I SAID!
-"Hey, cool, how do you do that voice?" Said the old man
-"... Something tells me you are not long for this word" Answered the voice
-"What?"

A sigh was heard, and then the unthinkable happened. A giant, green hand materialized from the mist and smacked Farael on the back of the head.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #34
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
Nothing to worry about, DM = Dungeon Master... the "mod" in pen and paper Role Playing games.
Ah well some Dungeons and Dragons thingy, then? I'm used to the term Game Master (or is that actually a term at all...?) but I suppose they are the same. Sorry for the confusion.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #35
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I think there has been a misconception I'd like to clarify

Players are encouraged but by no means forced to post in character

If you want to play and not post IC for more than a (game) day, be my guest! Or my player for that matter
Old 02-05-2008, 02:00 AM   #36
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
A tall, gaunt figure wandered through the mist. A barrow-wight? No! A sudden thinning of the fog revealed a pale, thin face that might have that of an Elf– if not for the pointy nose.

"Hello..." Nerwen called in despairing tones, "Is there anyone out there?"

Last edited by Nerwen; 02-05-2008 at 05:31 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:54 AM   #37
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

A Little Green,

I use the term GM instead of DM. You can use it too and then we can fight those heretics!

Secondly, if school ends at 4.15 and the deadline is 5, why not spend jolly 45 minutes in the school library playing werewolf? That's what I'm going to do, at any rate...
Old 02-05-2008, 05:54 AM   #38
Volo

Quote:
Secondly, if school ends at 4.15 and the deadline is 5, why not spend jolly 45 minutes in the school library playing werewolf? That's what I'm going to do, at any rate...
I wonder if all three of us doing that will work...
Old 02-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #39
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
I wonder if all three of us doing that will work...
I could come out from the teachers' workroom and join you guys in the school library... That would be a nice sight indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
I think there has been a misconception I'd like to clarify
Players are encouraged but by no means forced to post in character
I'm afraid this has indeed been the problem. I remember that there has been this discussion around before and there seems to be a lot of people who do not feel comfortable with RPG-style of Werewolf.

Let's throw a few invitations around everyone so we can get the game started before fex. Volo (or indeed Farael himself) need to quit

I'll send one to five... let's say Rikae, Mac, Valier, Naria and... Lalaith (yes it would be real fun to see her around for a long time).

Okay? You try some others...
Old 02-05-2008, 08:48 AM   #40
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I could come out from the teachers' workroom and join you guys in the school library... That would be a nice sight indeed!
In that case I suggest you ask someone around there to take a photo of you and then send it here so that we may share this funny sight

By the way... it still isn't clear when the game is going to start, but anyway, I would like to post a warning here that I am not going to be at home whole Saturday this week. I will be at my cousin's, and I probably will have chance to at least take a peek at the Downs and post during the day, once, or even twice - but I won't be probably for long reading any posts etc. Just saying this in forward, because I know it in forward I will repeat it later to make people aware of it on the actual day...

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 02-05-2008 at 09:01 AM.