The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #4001
Mithranduil
Newly Deceased

Mithranduil has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I doubt Mithranduil has any sinister intentions. TORN already has the job of hunting down movie-haters.
Actually, my intentions are solely sinister and evil, Morgoth is my favorite character from The Silma *grins evilly*

(kidding!)

No, seriously, though. You wanna know what my real intention is? Guess away!

(is it ok to keep off-topic here?)
Mithranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #4002
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithranduil View Post
(is it ok to keep off-topic here?)
Actually, it is the rare distinction of the Downs that we are far more tolerant of all those Movie-lovers with their love of the movies* than of Off-Topic. The Downs has no Off-topic forum or off-topic threads--though from discussion to discussion, and especially subforum to subforum (Books and Mirth represent the extremes, I'd say) there are degrees of elasticity--not every thread is hyper-focused, but no matter what the forum, stray too far and the Chat Skwerls will come warning...

*Translation also can be read: "those movie-haters with their hate for the movies"
Old 11-04-2014, 02:48 AM   #4003
Tar-Jęx
Wight

Tar-Jęx has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Actually, it is the rare distinction of the Downs that we are far more tolerant of all those Movie-lovers with their love of the movies* than of Off-Topic. The Downs has no Off-topic forum or off-topic threads--though from discussion to discussion, and especially subforum to subforum (Books and Mirth represent the extremes, I'd say) there are degrees of elasticity--not every thread is hyper-focused, but no matter what the forum, stray too far and the Chat Skwerls will come warning...

*Translation also can be read: "those movie-haters with their hate for the movies"
I don't understand movie haters for LotR, but I'm definitely onboard with The Hobbit critics.
Tar-Jęx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #4004
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hate may be too strong a word but personally I think just aboit every character in the film save Boromir was diminished and they missed the whole point of the book by leaving the Shire completely unaffected by the War of the Ring. It looked about right and some of the casting was great . I also find it too boring to rewatch though it was enjoyable enough in an actual cinema. As a film itvwas ok.. as an adaptation a curates egg.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:27 AM   #4005
King Naugladur
Pile O'Bones

King Naugladur has just left Hobbiton.
Hello Everybody!

Hello everybody!
I am a new member. King Naugladur is my screen name, borrowed from my favorite character from the Book of Lost Tales. I am a fan of Dwarves and everything Dwarvish. May your beards grow even longer!
King Naugladur.
King Naugladur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #4006
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome to the Downs, King Naugladur!

There's plenty here on Dwarves, and any other Tolkien stuff under the Sun.

Have fun!
Old 05-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #4007
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Seconded! Welcome to the Downs, King Naugladur! You'll find you're not alone in your love of Dwarves and Dwarvish.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:15 AM   #4008
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thirded, Welcome to the Barrow Downs Remade, King Naugladur! Enjoy being dead!
Old 05-26-2015, 11:33 AM   #4009
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Welcome!

Welcome to the Barrow Downs, King Naugladur!
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:40 PM   #4010
King Naugladur
Pile O'Bones

King Naugladur has just left Hobbiton.
Thank you!

Thanks for the warm greetings, everybody!
King Naugladur.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:44 AM   #4011
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Let me add a belated welcome as well, King Naugladur, and hope you find this place comfortable and interesting
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #4012
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Welcome aboard, King Naugladur!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:45 AM   #4013
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Return of The Dank Lord of Bad-odour

'I'm a newbie honest' said narfforc, as he tried to slide back in under the radar.

'No you jolly well aren't, and you know it' replied The Witchy-king of Wagner, Lord of the Ring-cyclists and Morgue-lord of Minus Piffle.

'But does not visiting for umpteen years not count then?' asked narrforc.

'NO!, now go away' roared Coughsmog The Lord of the Labdogs of Mortcough.

'I'm going to set my friends on you lot' replied narfforc.

'Friends, don't make laugh' giggled Smog the Lonely Dragon of Errorbore.

'Starting with you worm, Throbin Oakenhead son of Thrown son of Throb, and his gang, want a word with you, and you Witchy-king better watch out for Earwax daughter of Earnaught sister of Earmore' said narfforc as he scarpered .................... now who shall I annoy next he thought.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:53 AM   #4014
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc View Post
'I'm a newbie honest' said narfforc, as he tried to slide back in under the radar.

'No you jolly well aren't, and you know it' replied The Witchy-king of Wagner, Lord of the Ring-cyclists and Morgue-lord of Minus Piffle.

'But does not visiting for umpteen years not count then?' asked narrforc.

'NO!, now go away' roared Coughsmog The Lord of the Labdogs of Mortcough.

'I'm going to set my friends on you lot' replied narfforc.

'Friends, don't make laugh' giggled Smog the Lonely Dragon of Errorbore.

'Starting with you worm, Throbin Oakenhead son of Thrown son of Throb, and his gang, want a word with you, and you Witchy-king better watch out for Earwax daughter of Earnaught sister of Earmore' said narfforc as he scarpered .................... now who shall I annoy next he thought.
Well now, isn't this a surprise.

Welcome back!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #4015
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm Back

I've missed this old place.......
Old 07-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #4016
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Seconded! Welcome back, Narfforc!
Old 07-08-2015, 12:52 PM   #4017
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thirded. Welcome back, narfforc! (I never noticed you were gone, but that's because I was gone for about the same time...*at self*)
Old 07-08-2015, 01:02 PM   #4018
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Welcome back again, narfforc!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #4019
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Welcome back!

Welcome back to the Downs, narfforc! It's good to hear from you again...
Old 09-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #4020
KarlPeredhel
Newly Deceased

KarlPeredhel has just left Hobbiton.
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Hey, I several someones mentioned this forum at Oxonmoot, so here I am!
I first got into Tolkien with the LOTR films (I was 5 at the time) and since then seem to have "accidentally" read far too many books far too many times.
KarlPeredhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:34 PM   #4021
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Hi Karl!

Welcome to the Downs! Reading far too many books far too many times is a noble pasttime.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:37 PM   #4022
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hi Karl, and welcome! I was at that room party, if that's where it was that you kept hearing about the Downs.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #4023
KarlPeredhel
Newly Deceased

KarlPeredhel has just left Hobbiton.
The room party was just one of many occasions
KarlPeredhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:37 PM   #4024
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlPeredhel View Post
The room party was just one of many occasions
Can I just mention that I'm really proud of my fellow Downers?

(I wasn't at Oxonmoot, but I'm really happy that the Downs had a strong enough representation to draw your attention!)
Old 09-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #4025
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I wasn't at the room party, or you would surely have remembered, however welcome home.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #4026
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hurrah glad you joined! I was probably the most vocal about the Downs at Oxonmoot so good to see it wasn't for nothing. Hope you'll enjoy your stay!
Old 09-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #4027
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I've been attending Oxonmoots for some years now, and I think 2007 was the first one at which we were graced with shades from the Downs. I considered this visitation (and the subsequent ones - every year since, I think - were some of you at Christ Church?) such an excellent and happy phenomenon that I eventually became undead myself.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:31 AM   #4028
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
The first time I met Downers at a Tolkien Society event was at the big conference in 2005 in Birmingham ("The Ring Goes Ever On"). Incidentally, it took that trip across the water for me to actually meet members of the German Tolkien Society as well and to subsequently join it. Since then I've attended Oxonmoot a number of times, including the one in Christ Church.

At the moment circumstances are such that I can do very little travelling, alas, but in keeping with my nick I do hold on to hope that there will be opportunity for many meetings in the future! (I already have some fabrics for costumes that need to be made and shown... )
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #4029
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White-Hand Welcome!

Welcome to the Downs, KarlPeredhel! I was one of those present at Oxonmoot 2015, who helped to draw your attention...
Old 11-11-2015, 12:43 AM   #4030
TilloW
Newly Deceased

TilloW has just left Hobbiton.
I hope that this is the place where you introduce yourself! Hello, I'm TilloW. I have read (most of) the books and seen the movies so somebody pointed out to me that this would be a good place to learn even more about the world of Tolkien.
TilloW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:21 AM   #4031
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White-Hand Welcome!

Welcome to the Downs, TilloW! Please don't hesitate to ask questions of me and your other fellow members.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:06 AM   #4032
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Seconded! Welcome aboard, TilloW! Lots of discussions here about both books and movies, and other stuff as well!
Old 11-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #4033
TilloW
Newly Deceased

TilloW has just left Hobbiton.
Great, thanks Galadriel and Farimir Jones!
TilloW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #4034
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Another somewhat belated Welcome to the Downs, TilloW! Enjoy being dead! This place is not as populated these days as it used to be (and some who haunt it are not as vociferous, mea culpa), but you'll be hard pressed to find a nicer bunch of Tolkien nerds anywhere. Or a nicer bunch of people.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #4035
Eowyn-of-Rohan
Newly Deceased

Eowyn-of-Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Hello!

My name is Eowyn and I am a new Tolkien fan. I just got into it this past summer. I never gave it a try until this year, but I am glad I did. Now I drive my friends and family nuts with my obsession!

I am also a freshman in high school, yay.
Eowyn-of-Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:56 AM   #4036
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eowyn-of-Rohan View Post
Hello!

My name is Eowyn and I am a new Tolkien fan. I just got into it this past summer. I never gave it a try until this year, but I am glad I did. Now I drive my friends and family nuts with my obsession!

I am also a freshman in high school, yay.
Hi Eowyn! Welcome to the Downs, and to the fandom! Funny, I also became obsessed with Tolkien and joined the Downs when I was a freshman. Must be something to do with needing Tolkien at that stage of your life.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:56 AM   #4037
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome, Eowyn! Always good to see new Tolkien fans.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:31 AM   #4038
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White-Hand Welcome!

Welcome to the Downs, Eowyn-of-Rohan! Please don't hesitate to ask us any questions.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:34 PM   #4039
Eowyn-of-Rohan
Newly Deceased

Eowyn-of-Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Thank you all for the welcome! I was a little nervous about posting for the first time, so now I feel more comfortable.
Eowyn-of-Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #4040
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

1420!

I welcome you as well, Eowyn-of-Rohan! No reason to feel shy, we're all pretty well-behaved wights around here. I still remember that phase of fresh obsession vividly, that urge to tell all the world about this fascinating other world you've just discovered. If only there had been a place like the Downs, and an easy way to find it, back in the Seventies, I'd have felt a lot less like a freak sometimes. However, I babble. Enjoy being dead!