The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #41
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Has anyone checked out his book, "Sir Gwain and the Green Knight"? It's excellent, and very much underrated.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #42
Olórin the White
Newly Deceased

Olórin the White has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien didn't write Sir Gawain and the Green Knight...but he did translate it.
Unless of course you are speaking of Tolkien's essay on that tale, which can be found in the Monsters and the Critics I believe

but yes, highly underrated as a piece of literature.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:46 AM   #43
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
My list looks short compared to some (but I'm only 14):

LOTR (All seven books, or three+appendices, depending on how you look at it.) - first when I was 11
The Hobbit- first when I was 8
The Silmarillion- first when I was 12
The UT- first when I was 13
BoLT 1- When I was 13

edit: oh, and Tales from the Perilous Realm
Old 06-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #44
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
My list looks short compared to some (but I'm only 14):

LOTR (All seven books, or three+appendices, depending on how you look at it.) - first when I was 11
The Hobbit- first when I was 8
The Silmarillion- first when I was 12
The UT- first when I was 13
BoLT 1- When I was 13

edit: oh, and Tales from the Perilous Realm
Wow, you sure are young to be reading such complex books as these. I've never heard of the last one, I'll have to look that one up!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #45
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Perilous Realm is a great book, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil contains some of my favourite Tolkien poems.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #46
ArathornJax
Haunting Spirit

ArathornJax has just left Hobbiton.
Hard Cover ROTK with Illustrations by Allan Lee $7.98

I was in Barnes and Noble yesterday and checking out the clearance/discount books at the front of the store and found 10 copies of ROTK hardcover with Illustrations by Allan Lee for only $7.98. Well, I've always wanted this and so I picked it up. Anyway, just wanted to share this find incase someone is in a Barnes and Noble and they want to look and see if they find this. I would assume they would since the stores seem to get the same duplicate volumes in for overstock, clearance/discount.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:46 AM   #47
Borromino
Newly Deceased

Borromino has just left Hobbiton.
All..............
Borromino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:17 AM   #48
Maedhros_the_Tall
Haunting Spirit

Location: North East of England, currently at university in South West Scotland.
Maedhros_the_Tall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maedhros_the_Tall Send a message via Yahoo to Maedhros_the_Tall
For me just the standard, basic Tolkien reading list it seems

The Silmarillion
The Hobbit
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
The Return of the King
Unfinished Tales
The Children of Hurin (god knows why I actually bought that, I'd read pretty much everything in it in the Sil and UT!!)

A few years ago I tried the first Book of Lost Tales, but just couldn't get into it, the english was just too archaic, but I intend to try again when I'm off over summer, and I'm going to try for the History of Middle Earth series as well
Old 06-10-2008, 02:33 PM   #49
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedhros_the_Tall View Post
A few years ago I tried the first Book of Lost Tales, but just couldn't get into it, the english was just too archaic, but I intend to try again when I'm off over summer, and I'm going to try for the History of Middle Earth series as well
Yes, well, I know how you feel. The first time I tried, I couldn't read it, but for a different reason.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #50
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The only thing I haven't read is the recent Children of Hurin, and I'm in no rush. I've also had the pleasure of visiting the Tolkien archives at Marquette University several times (the joy of living in the area, and having a spouse who's an alumnus of the university). It's quite thrilling, seeing some of the handwritten drafts, and the various corrections and notations, also done in the Professor's own hand.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #51
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
The only thing I haven't read is the recent Children of Hurin, and I'm in no rush. I've also had the pleasure of visiting the Tolkien archives at Marquette University several times (the joy of living in the area, and having a spouse who's an alumnus of the university). It's quite thrilling, seeing some of the handwritten drafts, and the various corrections and notations, also done in the Professor's own hand.
I saw those journals once as well. Actually seeing those pages Tolkien wrote with his own hand, it was something else. I remember the beautiful maps most of all.

Anyway, I've read all of his major works and am currently working through the HoME, vol. V.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #52
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I've read TH and LotR (duh) and The Sil, Unfinished Tales, The Tolkien Reader, and am currently working through HoME (very slowly, while reading a romance novel and the Chronicles of Narnia... again)
HoME has been a bit tricky for me because of the constant notes that Christopher Tolkien has put into it everywhere. I need to get my mom to buy me the last six books of HoME. (I got them for Christmas along with much more Middle-Earth related stuffs, including a full colour map of Middle-Earth, Wilderland, Valinor and Beleriand!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Wow, you sure are young to be reading such complex books as these. I've never heard of the last one, I'll have to look that one up!
I read all of the Books listed above when I was 13 (a year ago!) and if I had discovered them sooner, then I would have read them sooner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArathornJax View Post
I was in Barnes and Noble yesterday and checking out the clearance/discount books at the front of the store and found 10 copies of ROTK hardcover with Illustrations by Allan Lee for only $7.98. Well, I've always wanted this and so I picked it up. Anyway, just wanted to share this find incase someone is in a Barnes and Noble and they want to look and see if they find this. I would assume they would since the stores seem to get the same duplicate volumes in for overstock, clearance/discount.
NO WAY!!!! I bet that they don't have them in Alaska or Washington (my current location)... I have to miss out... again...
Old 06-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #53
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I read all of the Books listed above when I was 13 (a year ago!) and if I had discovered them sooner, then I would have read them sooner!
So would I!

And now I'm probably going to start the rest of HoME (But £100!- maybe I'll wait a bit)
Old 06-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #54
Maedhros_the_Tall
Haunting Spirit

Location: North East of England, currently at university in South West Scotland.
Send a message via MSN to Maedhros_the_Tall Send a message via Yahoo to Maedhros_the_Tall
Quote:
So would I!

And now I'm probably going to start the rest of HoME (But £100!- maybe I'll wait a bit)
Is it worth trying at your local library? Either to get them from there or order them in from another library? On play.com they have them bundled into 3 volumes for about 45 pound each, and as much as I'd like to read them, theres no way I'm touching them at that price!! Lol. As soon as I'm from university for summer, I'm going to try my library for them!!
Old 06-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #55
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedhros_the_Tall View Post
Is it worth trying at your local library?
Not all libraries have them, sadly, as I found out earlier this year.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #56
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Actually, a university library might be more likely to have them than a local public, since they're more scholarly than entertaining to most folks. Though our local does -- just a weird little town I live in.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #57
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
Actually, a university library might be more likely to have them than a local public, since they're more scholarly than entertaining to most folks.
Then I'll just have to wait until I go to university *sigh*
Old 06-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #58
Maedhros_the_Tall
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Then I'll just have to wait until I go to university *sigh*
Only a few years!
Old 06-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #59
cesar.ewok
Pile O'Bones

cesar.ewok has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to cesar.ewok
I have read:

By J.R.R. Tolkien:

The Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit

Edited by C.T.:

The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales
The Book of Lost Tales I and I (except for the last chapter)
The Shaping of Middle-earth
Morgoth's Ring
War of the Jewels
Peoples of Middle-earth
Some parts of the Lost Road
The Children of Húrin

I'm currently reading the Letters, and hope to read the History of the Lord of the Rings after it.

Though I am Brazilian, I really enjoy reading the Lost Tales, despite its archaic English.
cesar.ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:48 PM   #60
kementari
Haunting Spirit

kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to kementari
Pipe

Is the Silmarillion a good read, because there is so much unexplained history in Lotr. I thought the Sil' might quench my thirst for more knowledge.

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo.
kementari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:35 PM   #61
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Yes, the Silmarillion does fill in a lot of the history.

Is it a good read? Well, it's written in an archaic style, and some people find it very hard-going. On the other hand, I read it first when I was ten or eleven and loved it, so... *shrugs*

Out of curiosity, Kementari, how did you come to name yourself after a character in a book you haven't read yet?
Old 06-15-2008, 01:19 AM   #62
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Is it a good read? Well, it's written in an archaic style, and some people find it very hard-going. On the other hand, I read it first when I was ten or eleven and loved it, so... *shrugs*
You read the Silmarillion when you were 10 and loved it? Jeez, aren't you a clever girl!?
Old 06-15-2008, 02:09 AM   #63
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
That does sound rather smug, doesn't it?
Old 06-15-2008, 03:38 AM   #64
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I didn't really mean to highlight your smugness (well, maybe a little ) rather your cleverness. I read (most of) LotR when I was maybe 10 and although I enjoyed it, there was a lot I didn't understand. For example, I wasn't sure Sauron and Sauruman were different people until I saw the Bakshi cartoon a few years later.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #65
cesar.ewok
Pile O'Bones

cesar.ewok has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to cesar.ewok
It happened to me while I was reading Harry Potter I. I thought Snape was a ghost until I saw the film!
cesar.ewok is offline   Reply With Quote