The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #641
Ytheogan

Greetings to all!

I have been an avid reader of Robert E. Howard's Conan series for a number of years now. In many ways, it was Howard's short stories that drew me to fantasy literature and, actually, literature in general.

I also like other Howard creations such as Bran Mak Morn, Kull, Solomon Kane, and so on and so forth. Not quite as much as I like the Conan series, though.

Over the years I've picked up many fantasy novels, many of which have fallen out of memory. I do, however, remember enjoying Brian Jacques' Redwall series some years ago, though it has been ages since I last picked up a Redwall book.

Regards,
Ytheogan
Old 12-27-2007, 01:44 PM   #642
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I kept up with the Redwall series until I realized that Jacques' books were all essentially same. His best books are Marlfox, The Bellmaker, Mattimeo, Redwall, and Salamandastron.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #643
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
I did enjoy Pearls of Lutra. But Salamandastron had the coolest villain.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:37 AM   #644
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
I was reading a webcomic the other day, and ran across this bit of news for you fans of the Wheel of Time:

I read this on www.lfgcomic.com

I also have picked up "The Deed of Paksenarrion" by Elizabeth Moon and am about halfway through - it's not too bad.
I'll probably buy it just to complete the set, that's the same reason I bought a lot of the books as I stopped liking them a while ago.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #645
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
*bump*

I just read Ursula Le Guin's Tombs of Atuan and I'm almost speechless... I've read that book several times but it amazed me. What a masterpiece. Everything has a meaning in it and the storytelling is just so beautiful. Not to mention the thrilling and original setting that gives the book a distinct and strong atmosphere. Also, Le Guin's gentleness and wisdom never cease to amaze me. There are so many layers in the small book, so many themes, so much wise words. It felt like I had read the book for the first time in my life now: I had never read it this deeply before and not fully comprehended all the threads in the pattern, all the tones and all the deep currents. Just unbelievable. I thought I haven't grown up particularily much in the past couple of years, but I obviously have - when I last read the book in 2006 or 2005 I only glimpsed the surface, it seems, like always before. And still, all those times I enjoyed it tremenduously. If there's a fantasy author who can come close to rivalling Tolkien it is Le Guin.

(Haha, seems I was not as speechless as I thought I was... )

Now to move from the mindblowing stuff to something else, I will then ramble about some other books I've read lately. I've read the two first novels of Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar trilogy and must say it's very underrated. The story is gorgeous! It might have all the possible clichés in it, it might be ridiculously epic at times, the basic idea (five canadian students go to an alternative world and get to save the world) might be incredibly silly but it does work. Granted, it's not as good as Kay's Tigana or The Lions of Al-Rassan or A Song for Arbonne, but it's less below their level than people have lead me to understand.

I've also had great time reading Michelle Paver's Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, a series set on the Stone Ages for young readers. Clichés, stereotypes, mostly very guessable plot, sometimes just plain bad writing, lots of naivety etc - but who cares if the setting is interesting and it's well-written and entertaining? People (especially Greenie ) laugh at me because I read them, but I must say that if you want to read something light and silly and enjoyable and try an adventure with a different setting, they're worth reading. That is, if you don't mind all the downsides...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #646
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Hmmm...indeed. I liked A Wizard of Earthsea, so perhaps I should give Tombs a try as well.

Along the same lines, I stayed up till 2 am finishing The Elfstones of Shannara just the other night. It was very, very sad, but I liked it much more than The Sword of Shannara. Terry Brooks' writing improved somewhere in between the two books, which encourages me to read the others in the series.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #647
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
*clunk*

Hmm, what have I read since waaay back when?

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - I really, really liked this book. It's quite a hefty book, something to re-read after several years maybe, but it's got a great story, and I loved the imagery.

The Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde - this...isn't fantasy. It's a fantasy I suppose, half of it takes place in an alternate past, and the other half takes place in the "book-world". But I loved the heck out of it. Also by the same author is the Nursery Crime series, which is a bit more fantasy-esque. Or fairy tale-esque.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #648
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmm...I don't go in much for reading fantasies anymore.

*Shocked gasps from the audience*

No, really. Most of the fantasies I read are with my daughter (currently going through the Narnia Chronicles and Redwall series).

I've read most of the greats, I suppose. Ones I truly enjoyed were Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant Chronicles (but only up to the 4th book -- it gets entirely too wordy after that), all of Ursula K. LeGuin, all of Dune (up to God Emperor, anyway), Mary Stewart's Merlin series, Asimov's Foundation, and T.H. White's Once and Future King (the greatest of all latter day Arthurian tales). Then of course there are Lewis Carroll and Orwell which I tend to reread every now and again. I once enjoyed Aldous Huxley, but he's not so much fun sober.

So give me Umberto Eco or a good history book for now and I'm content.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #649
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
So give me Umberto Eco or a good history book for now and I'm content.
Can you recommend any of his books besides Name of the Rose, which I've read (and felt extremely erudite while doing so)?
Old 06-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #650
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Can you recommend any of his books besides Name of the Rose, which I've read (and felt extremely erudite while doing so)?
Foucalt's Pendulum is a definite read. It makes The Da Vinci Code look like a first grade primer. Read it once through, then go back a second time to research the dizzying amount of obscure references to other works (if you like puzzles).

Baudalino is good as well (although I enjoyed Name of the Rose and Foucalt more). It takes place in the 12th century during the 4th Crusade, wherein the brave and saintly Crusaders decided to ignore the formidable Muslims -- who usually crushed them in battle -- and instead disgracefully sacked and conquered the Christian city of Constantinople. Yes, truth is stranger than fiction (can I get a Deus Vult?).

After you get through those, we can discuss Eco's work in semiotics (the study of symbology and signs). Fascinating reading if you are interested in words and how they relate as symbols in communication.

P.S. By the way, I see you like the Pogues. When I was in bar bands, one of the most requested Christmas songs was always Fairytale of New York. Other tunes we liked playing were South Australia and Bottle of Smoke (great drinking songs). We also did a version of Rocky Road to Dublin, but it was more akin to the Young Dubliners' heavy guitar style.

Last edited by Morthoron; 06-12-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:42 PM   #651
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Foucalt's Pendulum is a definite read. It makes The Da Vinci Code look like a first grade primer.
The Da Vinci Code IS a first grade primer!

B.t.w. Eco devotes a whole delightful chapter of Foucault's Pendulum to having a go at The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, the (supposedly) non-fiction book that Dan Brown used as his source material. He has the characters come up with an identical conspiracy via an automatic plot-generator. I loved it.

I don't read fantasy that much as a rule anymore either. There's one I've just started, Temeraire, that isn't bad so far. It's all about the Napoleonic Wars... only with dragons. However, the eponymous Temeraire is showing signs of turning into an extra-special Mary Sue dragon– as if just being a dragon wasn't enough.

So... proceed with caution is my advice to anyone who wants to read it.

What I can wholeheartedly recommend is my favourite third-rate fantasy novel, Blade of the Poisoner. It's hilariously cliched, but without all the padding that you find in similar books. It's been out of print for about twenty years, but if you're curious, I'm summarising it here. (Don't worry, I'm not one of those people who post embarrassing personal stuff in their journals).

Last edited by Nerwen; 06-11-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:45 PM   #652
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
After you get through those, we can discuss Eco's work in semiotics (the study of symbology and signs). Fascinating reading if you are interested in words and how they relate as symbols in communication.
You're on.

Quote:
P.S. By the way, I see you like the Pogues. When I was in bar bands, one of the most requested Christmas songs was always Fairytale of New York. Other tunes we liked playing were South Australia and Bottle of Smoke (great drinking songs). We also did a version of Rocky Road to Dublin, but it was more akin to the Young Dubliners' heavy guitar style.
off-topic
Ah, Fairytale of New York.I managed to see the Pogues on the first day of their US tour this year, but as it was not Christmas, they played practically every song BUT Fairytale. Actually, they didn't play Lullaby London either, but Rainy Night in Soho made up for its absence. Woooooooo! Pooogues!
back on-topic
Old 06-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #653
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
B.t.w. Eco devotes a whole delightful chapter of Foucault's Pendulum to having a go at The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, the (supposedly) non-fiction book that Dan Brown used as his source material. He has the characters come up with an identical conspiracy via an automatic plot-generator. I loved it.
I read that one. Holy Blood, Holy Grail I mean. It wasn't very good; mostly because of absurd claims supported by shoddy scholarship which even I could identify. So, good for Eco.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:40 AM   #654
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
It's the most ridiculous example of house-of-cards arguing I've ever read.

One one page they'll say A might be true. Then three pages later they'll refer back to A as an absolute certainty, which makes B possible. In another three pages the known facts A and B will be used to prove C. Etc, etc, etc.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #655
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
It's the most ridiculous example of house-of-cards arguing I've ever read.

One one page they'll say A might be true. Then three pages later they'll refer back to A as an absolute certainty, which makes B possible. In another three pages the known facts A and B will be used to prove C. Etc, etc, etc.
Oh wait, you're talking about the book; for a minute I thought you were referring to the Bush administration. Yes, the implausibility of Holy Blood, Holy Grail is pronounced, although a study of the Apocrypha and gospels by Mary Magdelene and St. James are interesting in and of themselves.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:53 AM   #656
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Oh wait, you're talking about the book; for a minute I thought you were referring to the Bush administration.
Well, that too.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #657
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Is alternate history considered fantasy, because if it is I'm a big fan of it! Newt Gingrich has written some excellent books about alternate history in the Civil War.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #658
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Lately I've been on a bit of a graphic novel kick. Started with Watchmen - the best comic I've ever read. The only comic I'd rank up there with the great literature. Seriously, Alan Moore is a wizard. I only hope they don't ruin it with the movie.

Neil Gaiman's Sandman is also very good. It starts a bit weak, but it gets awesome quickly.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:50 AM   #659
Diane C
Pile O'Bones

Diane C has just left Hobbiton.
Th only other fantasy epic I have read alongside LOTR & TH, is Stephen Donaldson's "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" volumes.

Although very enjoyable and totally absorbing, it was also very heavy going, far more than the writings of Tolkien's LOTR. I think one of the major differences in writing styles is that the LOTR books were totally un-put-downable, whereas with Donaldson's CoTC my brain had to take a time-out every few pages because I was either getting too irritated with some of the characters, especially Covenent himself. Or that his prose was far too over elaborate and distracting at times. Not to the point of boredom, but that there was just too many things going on to stay focused in one session.

Still a great set of books though. However, I have only re-read CoTC once in the last 7 years, whereas I have re-read LOTR 3 times in the same period of time!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #660
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
stuff from a spec-lit forum

I just remembered something. The other week our school had a symposium thingy on speculative literature, headed by those "regarded" as "canon" of our country's spec lit. (Which is kinda absurd, how will you establish a canon of a very young genre?)

They regard Tolkien as "The" great writer of the quest archetype, but attacked the poor freshman who dared say that after Tolkien, people like Paolini are nutcases, Rowling a particularly good marketer, etc. Now I don't really know too much about it, but I thought they were too harsh on the kid, and besides, the kid does have a point about Paolini (I do think that they marketed the fact that the kid is a kid, not the story). They said something like, "Get over it, kid, Tolkein (he pronouned it "kein") is dead and won't be publishing anything else." And that moment I wanted to throw at his face my new copy of CoH.

He raised good points about the favoritism of the academia of realism over speculative lit. That those considered gods and goddesses of Philippine literature are just realists, which at the end of the day is just a genre. That we should be more "open" to them, that we should also give them space in our Creative Writing classes. They cited instances when in those CW classes, their works were dismissed on basis of genre.

I don't know about everyone else, but I think at the end of the day, JRRT and the mythologies and the Latin American marvelous realists are exceptions to my favorite read, which is realism, a portrait of everyday life as it happens to random people. I think I still belong to the generation which says that fantasy and sci-fi, with very few exceptions, are simply escapism from the mundanity of everyday things. (But when you think of it, a realist piece depicting a culture far different from yours will be the same thing isn't it? My point is that if I decide to read say Mineko Iwasaki's Geisha I wouldn't be fancying demons and flying dragons, but a culture with dancing ladies in colorful silk dresses and tea ceremonies, all that which is different from what I normally see.)

(What the hell am I doing in BD then? )

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #661
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I haven't read very much fantasy lately. I don't know, I just got tired of it some time ago. Not Tolkien but almost everything else.

Anyway, China Miéville is my new love. I bought Iron Council long ago, out of curiosity, but didn't read it until now, and was positively surprised. It might have been easier, though, if only I had read Perdido Street Station first. Well, I'm reading it now.
I don't really even know why I like his books. They're just.. good. Interesting, unconventional characters, interesting plots. And I can relate to their values and really sympathize with the characters.

Another name worth mentioning is Jeff VanderMeer. The City of Saints and Madmen is great, but I think I liked Veniss Underground even more. Possibly because I read it during and after a weekend of intensive roleplaying where the lovely character of my friend's could have been Shadrach's twin brother.
I later made a fish sculpture based on Veniss Underground. The teacher laughed at it since the theme was actually house, but then on the other hand he always laughs at my works.

I don't know if José Saramago counts as fantasy, but he is definitely a great author. He's one of my mother's favourites, and it was she who first introduced me to his books. I haven't read even half of the translated books yet, but I'm progressing. I doubt I had ever read anything so intensely written, with such an atmosphere, before I read Blindness.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #662
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - I really, really liked this book. It's quite a hefty book, something to re-read after several years maybe, but it's got a great story, and I loved the imagery.
I am 2/3 of the way through JS & MN (which at 800 pages, gives War and Peace a run for the money for sheer volume). I am not at all sure that I like it. How odd to have read this far into a novel, and to be altogether unsure if one is enjoying the story. To paraphrase Rossini in regards to Wagner, the book has beautiful moments but awful quarter hours. In fact, I enjoyed the book far more early in the story, and am beginning to like it less and less the further I trudge on (and I do feel I am slogging through a muddy field). The citations of fictional books was interesting at first, but get exceedingly tedious after several million chapters. It's reminiscent of the interminable notes and citations that caused me to loathe Moby Dick.

The characters, particularly the magicians, are a bit thick and slow to catch on regarding the plot that swirls around them, and there aren't many characters that are likable at all (many are just plain despicable or mere ciphers).

But I'll finish it before passing final judgment. Perhaps everything will get better by the conclusion (maybe there is an epiphany or a eucatrastrophe of significant proportions to make up for the unnecessary length).

Last edited by Morthoron; 10-01-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #663
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Anyone taken a look at Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind?

It's gotta be of interest to Tolkien fans. Here's the dedication:

Quote:
To my mother, who taught me to love books. Who opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.

To my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right the first time.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:50 AM   #664
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Hmmm, doesn't look like I mentioned my most recently discovered book series and author here: Jasper Fforde's 'Thursday Next' books (and his 'Nursery Crime' books as well) are the best stories I've read in a long time (present company excepted, of course)! It's been interesting to look for them in bookstores, as they are sometimes multiply displayed; I would definitely count them as fantasy literature, as they take place in a parallel world - a basic premise similar to that of Pullman's 'Dark Materials' books.

The interaction between real and fictional worlds is what makes the books most fascinating, and the humour is wonderful, with many plays on literature and words. A review I heard called them "hypermetafiction"! Though each book is complete in itself, it's wise to read them in order, so that the ideas that continue from book to book can be understood. "The Eyre Affair" is the first book which presents the heroine Thursday Next, a literary detective who investigates crimes like abductions of original manuscripts which are held for ransom.

When the boundaries between 'real' and fictional worlds become porous, the stories are at their very best. Tolkien references are included very occasionally (don't know if copyright issues prevent more).

Highly recommended!!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:14 AM   #665
BGreg
Pile O'Bones

BGreg has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The best fantasy I read lately was George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire". It's a really good series and I enjoyed reading it (can't wait for the rest of his series). Characters are realistic, they're not just black&white, and you can relate even to the bad guys.

I also read Tad Williams, his "The Dragonbone Chair", but sadly I never got to read the rest of the trilogy.

Now, I've wanted to read all of Guy Gavriel Kay's work recently. I actually met the guy in person, and he signed a book for my friend. He's younger than I expected for such a famous writer. Anyway, he got me intrigued in his work, so I'll probably get on those books as soon as I can.
BGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #666
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Welcome to the Downs, BGreg! I can warmly recommend Guy Gavriel Kay, he's one of my favourite authors. He's just fascinatingly skilled with words and has a breathtaking sense of drama.

I quite like George R.R. Martin too and I'm anxiously waiting for the next novel to the series. Sadly, he seems to be a rather slow writer...
Old 01-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #667
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Not exactly fantasy, but historical fiction are two of my favorites:

The Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell

The Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser.

I can't recommend them both highly enough!
Old 01-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #668
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Count another fan of A Song of Ice and Fire. Wish they weren't so crude at times, but they are realistic, I guess. And I'm not always a great fan of books that blur the line between good and evil, but George Martin's books have an amazing allure. One of the hardest series of books to put down once you start reading. Many sleepless nights are attributed to ASoIaF. They got me more interested in medieval study/way of speech a few years back when I read them.

I met G.R.R. at a book expo in New York in '05, he signed a preview of the fourth book. That was kind of neat! He looks the same in person as he does in pictures.

Following his blog is really frustrating though. All he talks about is American football - when me and thousands of fans are screaming for him to get on and finish Dance of Dragons (book 5, which was scheduled for release last year). I almost hate to say things like this, but after the death of Robert Jordan, I can't help worrying about whether we'll see the end of this series. G.R.R. seems to have lost interest, for the moment. I know if I were a writer I'd have the same problem finishing books, but...I'm not, and he is, and it's not fair that we have to wait!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #669
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
I've heard good and bad things about the Fionavar books. I've had friends swear by them and friends who thought they were cliche. I do know that Guy Gavriel Kay did write them after working on something Tolkien related(right now it escapes me as to what it was).

I pretty much love anything by Neil Gaiman, especially Stardust. I highly recommend any of his books.

Currently I am reading The Time Traveler's Wife. It's very good and I would consider it sort of fantasy/sci-fi/a whole new breed of fiction all together. It's very good and highly recommend it.

Other than that I do tend to read the books in the teen/young adult section mostly because I'm(at least possibly) going to be teaching high school students soon(ah, real world!) and should know what they are reading. The answer: vampires. A lot of vampires. Some faery too, but mostly vampires.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #670
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariren Shadow View Post
I've heard good and bad things about the Fionavar books. I've had friends swear by them and friends who thought they were cliche. I do know that Guy Gavriel Kay did write them after working on something Tolkien related(right now it escapes me as to what it was).
He helped Christopher Tolkien to edit the Silmarillion. But anyway, I can offer yet another opinion on Fionavar. They are downright cliché. Probably one of the most clichéish fantasy books I've read. But they are still simply brilliant, because Kay can pull it off. It doesn't matter if you've got all kinds of seers, dark lords, King Arthurs, semi-Beren&Lúthiens, elves sailing to west, werewolf liutenants trees of life and prophecies in the same book if the author knows how to use the elements exactly correctly. At times it's breathtaking.

I must say, though, that even though Fionavar is very good, I like many other books of Kay's better. Perhaps you could try them too if you're afraid of clichés? Tigana is a lovely, tragic fantasy epic. And if you're into sort of alternative history, you must read The Lions of Al-Rassan (I'm convinced that book is just perfect) and A Song of Arbonne. They are set in worlds very much like Spain under the Arab rule and medieval France, respectively, and they are among my favourite books, both of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lari
Currently I am reading The Time Traveler's Wife. It's very good and I would consider it sort of fantasy/sci-fi/a whole new breed of fiction all together. It's very good and highly recommend it.
I read it after three downers had praised it, but it was a kind of disappointment. Yes, it was nice, but that's it. I didn't find it especially moving or exciting or well-written or original. For me, it was too much like the sort of icky romantic women's literature...
Old 01-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #671
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I must say, though, that even though Fionavar is very good, I like many other books of Kay's better. Perhaps you could try them too if you're afraid of clichés? Tigana is a lovely, tragic fantasy epic. And if you're into sort of alternative history, you must read The Lions of Al-Rassan (I'm convinced that book is just perfect) and A Song of Arbonne. They are set in worlds very much like Spain under the Arab rule and medieval France, respectively, and they are among my favourite books, both of them.

I read it after three downers had praised it, but it was a kind of disappointment. Yes, it was nice, but that's it. I didn't find it especially moving or exciting or well-written or original. For me, it was too much like the sort of icky romantic women's literature...
I think my other thing that would stop me reading Fionavar is that my name is Jennifer and, well, I never liked Guinevere.

I do have another Kay book in my room at home, Ysabel. I started in a bookstore and then decided not to buy it(poor college student and it being in hardcover). Then I found it for five dollars at a book sale so it's now sitting in my room at home(because it's still hardcover and really heavy to bring places). I have looked at Tigana and been recommended it before so I think I need to go buy it.

As for The Time Traveler's Wife, I can see what you mean, but I still love it.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #672
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Sorry to double post, but I've been considering reading Dune and Mists of Avalon, and I was thinking - could anyone give me opinions on them? What are they like? Are they worth the read? Are they something a busy student could read, or do they require more time and devotion?

edit: xed with Lari so I didn't double post, yay!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #673
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
I do have another Kay book in my room at home, Ysabel. I started in a bookstore and then decided not to buy it(poor college student and it being in hardcover). Then I found it for five dollars at a book sale so it's now sitting in my room at home(because it's still hardcover and really heavy to bring places). I have looked at Tigana and been recommended it before so I think I need to go buy it.
Oh, I have to read that yet - I bought it for my sister (who is also a Kay fan) for Christmas and she just finished reading it, so I could pick it up now if I only had the time!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #674
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hehe, I shall add to that:

Dune I've only ever heard good things about. The sequals, however, I've never heard anything good about. It's been called The Lord of the Rings of sci-fi.

As for The Mists of Avalon, I read it after the mini-series was on tv and ended up trying very hard to finish it but never actually succeeding. It was really get and then it went on a really long kick where nothing really happened for a good over 100 pages. We're talking, excuse my opinion, worst than some of the longer more descriptive parts of Lord of the Rings(you know, where you are really appreciative of the way things are said and the language used but are wondering why the rock is being described for a really long time). I just, stopped. I couldn't get through the rest. It was a good story, but it just dragged.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #675
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:

As for The Mists of Avalon, I read it after the mini-series was on tv and ended up trying very hard to finish it but never actually succeeding. It was really get and then it went on a really long kick where nothing really happened for a good over 100 pages. We're talking, excuse my opinion, worst than some of the longer more descriptive parts of Lord of the Rings(you know, where you are really appreciative of the way things are said and the language used but are wondering why the rock is being described for a really long time). I just, stopped. I couldn't get through the rest. It was a good story, but it just dragged.
I totally agree. I'm so far along I refuse to give up now. But there are hundreds of pages where it's nothing but Morgaine lamenting her lost feminist powers and Lancelet pining for Arthur's queen. When the story progresses and Avalon's plans are revealed and there's a plot it's great. I personally liked the mini-series better because it didn't get bogged down with fifty pages of Morgaine's feelings about the same thing over and over again.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #676
Mekor Karun
Newly Deceased

Mekor Karun has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I read the Chronicles of Narnia, the Inheritance Cycle, and most Midevil history books
Old 01-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #677
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Sorry to double post, but I've been considering reading Dune and Mists of Avalon, and I was thinking - could anyone give me opinions on them? What are they like? Are they worth the read? Are they something a busy student could read, or do they require more time and devotion?
My dad has told me for the longest time to read Dune, if I want to understand economics (it has something to do with spices and empires and stuff). But I haven't, because I don't know where he placed our copy. But I think it really is a good book; my dad maybe a book lover but he is mostly an economist.

I found The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie at the university book stalls, and had a pretty good bargain. The cover had a pretty good review from Ursula K. Le Guin (who I don't really love, but appreciate nonetheless), and was described by others as 'postmodernist magic realism.' I still haven't finished it, but I think it's very worth the money I put in. Imagine a great conqueror with a very large empire getting so lonely as to create his own imaginary wife a la children's imaginary friends.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:30 AM   #678
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post

** To my mother, who taught me to love books. Who opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.

To my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right the first time. **
I just finished re-reading this book. Wonderfully written, lyrical at times. Nicely drawn 'world'. The story line is very engaging. And the end of this first book makes you want to shake the author 'til the pages of the next novel come tumbling out of his grey cells. sigh....

There are some reviews - HERE. Ignore the one from Amazon.com as I'm sure they were in the throws of the Harry Potter cash-phenomenon when it was written.

I'd recommend it.

I'm none too patiently awaiting the second novel which won't be out until April of 2009. Until then, I'm filling the time wandering through Charles de Lint's interesting town - Newford, laughing my way again through Mr. Pratchett's amazing Disc World, trekking about in George R.R. Martin's Westeros. And last but not least, solving mysteries with Sister Fidelma in mid-seventh century A.D. Ireland.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:38 AM   #679
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:

edit: xed with Lari so I didn't double post, yay!
Mists of Avalon does have slow parts, but it's also tremendously atmospheric - and if you are interested in reading Arthurian stories, it's good to read one from a wholly different perspective even if you end up not liking it! Though I'm sure you will like it.

It's especially evocative if you know the locations used, the West Country and the Vale of Avalon.

And it's very Pagan and feminist - I like that as someone who's tackled Women Who Run With The Wolves
Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #680
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Mists of Avalon does have slow parts, but it's also tremendously atmospheric - and if you are interested in reading Arthurian stories, it's good to read one from a wholly different perspective even if you end up not liking it! Though I'm sure you will like it.

It's especially evocative if you know the locations used, the West Country and the Vale of Avalon.
Not wishing to sound like a chauvinist, but I found Mists of Avalon dreadfully boring and devoid of humor. I prefer T.H. White's retelling of the Arthurian cycle in The Once and Future King. Mary Stewart's Merlin series (The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, etc.) is interesting in parts, but is rather somber, and tends to meander later on in the series.

The Dune series is excellent, an intriguing tale straddling fantasy and science fiction with a depth both politically and religiously which transcends most everything in the genre (save for maybe Asimov's Foundation trilogy). Read Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune, but go nae further. It gets silly afterwards, particularly since the original author died and the story was taken up by his not-so-talented son and a ghost writer. The amount of time the story spans is reminiscent of Tolkien, chronologically speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
[And it's very Pagan and feminist - I like that as someone who's tackled Women Who Run With The Wolves
My significant other (who is glaring at me rather wolfishly at the moment), is an advocate of Clarissa Estes; therefore, rather than imperilling my very soul, I won't comment any further.