The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2003, 01:48 PM   #1
Son of Fire
Animated Skeleton

Son of Fire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Son of Fire
Sting The most awesome elf

Okay, so we all know that Fingolfin was the coolest elf ever, right?
I mean he was the one that fought Melkor outside the gates of angband, so he wins, or do you disagree? Whose your favorite elven hero?
Old 04-08-2003, 01:54 PM   #2
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Uh, glorfindle was great for his great deeds, but personally, I like Elrond best, and maybe his sons too, who always seem to be aiding in the war, wether little or big. Plus, Elrond lives in Rivendell,he has a king of men for a sun in law, and he's been around a long time. Not as long as Glorfindle though. But Elrond is mighty amoung elves and men. How many average men have heard of Glorfindel I wonder?
I also hope no one starts raving about legolas because he's the cutest, I'll puke.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 02:11 PM   #3
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dūm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elrond's sons was the best ever! They fought alongside Aragorn at the Black Gate. That takes guts.

~Burzdol~
Old 04-08-2003, 04:14 PM   #4
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Glorfindle hands down is the coolest if nothing else cause he returned from the Halls of Mandos to Middle Earth to help in the fight against Evil.Oh and killing a Balrog and losing his own life to save others is a tad heroic dont you think? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2003, 09:19 PM   #5
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've always thought Elladan & Elrohir were fascinating. Tolkein doesn't tell alot about them and that adds to their mystique. They wandered in the wilderness with Aragorn hunting down the servants of Sauron for many years; they came to aid Aragorn in Rohan with the Dunadain; they followed him on the Paths of the Dead and fought at his side at the Morannon. I think they are the most awesome elves.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:36 PM   #6
Chancellen the True
Pile O'Bones

Chancellen the True has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Fingolfin is also a favorite of mine; but, Feanor was, for good or bad, the greatest elf of all. The flame that burns twice as bright, burns half as long.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:44 AM   #7
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dūm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like Galadriel. She was one of the only people (aside from Aragorn, Gandalf and Faramir that I know of) that could refuse the lure of the Ring when it was offered to them. She is also one of the fairest and powerful people of Middle Earth, and she has a cool elven ring.

Although I admit that the screen version of Legolas is pretty eye pleasing, apart from the action scenes he was a tad boring.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 06:35 AM   #8
Elf of the Wand

Sting

Maedhros ? Was by right the high king of the Noldor, although he passed the title to Fingolfin. Was as brave and mighty on the battle field as any of the Noldor, and even made his realm in the place where he thought Morgoths armies would assault most heavily, so that he would take the brunt of the assault, to help atone for abandoning Fingolfins host to the Helcaraxe.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:08 AM   #9
Bartholemew Took

Thumbs up

Feanor for my money - "the greatest of the Eldar in craft and lore"; wrighting the Silmarils, usurping the leadership of the Noldor, leading them back to Middle Earth - and even, apparently, spontaneously combusting in death with the heat of the fire of his spirit....pretty awsome!!
Old 04-09-2003, 07:13 AM   #10
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elrond, maybe Glorfindel.

I was quite moved by Luthien as well. I dont know exactly what i did, but the whole singing to Mandos thing really got me.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:13 PM   #11
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dūm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like quite a few Elves like Elladan and Elrihir as faught allong side Aragorn alot. I also like Elrond and Gil-Gallad when they faught in the last alliance together.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:45 PM   #12
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Luthien, all the way! She defeated Sauron, I repeat SAURON. She fooled MORGOTH!! If you ask me, Luthien Tinuviel is the bestest, greatest and most awesome elf that ever set foot on Middle- Earth. Plus, she“s the ancestor of Elrond, Elohir, Eladan, Arwen (and Aragorn....), which is pretty cool to. The singing for Mandos was sooo awesome as well.

And then there“s Galadriel. Very cool. Very powerfull. She probably was one of the very few who personally wasn“t fooled by Feanor. (Who, if you ask me, was brilliant, but desperate for attention). She was one of the strongest powers in Middle-Earth in the third age, and the wisest elf.

So that“s two chicks. Who ever said Tolkien was sexist??? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2003, 02:16 PM   #13
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tolkien is sexist.

Quote:
Who ever said Tolkien was sexist???
Me, just now.

*rolls on the floor laughing at her own weak humour*
Old 04-09-2003, 02:43 PM   #14
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Feanor, ever time! Hes just so kool!
Old 04-09-2003, 03:20 PM   #15
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I don't know if I could choose just one as "most awesome", but I would like to put a vote in for Beleg Strongbow. I admire him for his courage and his love for Turin. It's not often one finds a friend like Beleg.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:43 PM   #16
Sea Tiger
Newly Deceased

Sea Tiger has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hard to decide I like them all. They're all SO
cool!But if I had to decide I would pick Arwen, Galadriel,and Luthien Tinuviel.They ROCK!
Sea Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 01:27 PM   #17
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

I agree with Alaklondewen about Beleg,he was a true friend to Turin (one of the few) and the way he died just sucked so bad how can your heart not go out to him.
But Witch King i just dont know what to think about Feanor being called cool (kool) just cause man did Feanor seem like a head case that only cared about himself and his needs and wants.He was a a$$ to his Family and caused the Kin Slaying and in the end caused Middle Earth to lose so much of the support of the Valar.

[img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2003, 02:02 PM   #18
Armadoin
Haunting Spirit

Armadoin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Armadoin Send a message via AIM to Armadoin
Silmaril

I would have to say that i like Luthien and Arwen better because when you think about it, how many girls these day s would give up life as they know it to be with the one man they love? I don't think there are many. I admire them alot.
"I must not fear.Fear is the mind killer. fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Armadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 08:39 AM   #19
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ill have to say that I have a tie in my book:

Feanor
Luthien
Galadriel

Each of them very powerful, wise, beautiful and extremely influential in the first ages of M.E.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:26 PM   #20
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Ring

I vote for Luthien. I agree with Manardariel.
Old 04-12-2003, 03:32 PM   #21
Bartholemew Took

Sting

In my (old fahioned?) way of looking at it, awsome = likely to fill with awe. So here's a formula; if a contest were organised (debate / battle / competition, whatever)between any of the greatest Eldar, who would "awe" her/his opponent the most?

Given his track record (crafting jewels; orator to the Noldor in Valinor; fighting Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs) my money's still on Feanor.

He doesn't have to be "good" in a simplistic way. Look at Turin - most awsome man, perhaps, but some serious misdemeanors, not to say personality defects; but isn't that part of being "awsome"?
Old 04-12-2003, 07:29 PM   #22
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

It has to be Fingolfin all the way for me. The guy fought with and wounded Morgoth, for goodness sake. Of the three sons of Finwe:

Quote:
Fingolfin was the strongest, the most steadfast, and the most valiant.
He would have been more than a match for his half-brother in a straight fight. And he was a much nicer guy to know to boot. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2003, 07:46 PM   #23
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Oddly enough, the line that impresses me most about Feanor occurs when Gandalf is talking to Pippin about the palantir.

Quote:
"Even now my heart desires to test my will upon it...and turn it where I would-- to look across the wide seas of water and of time to Tirion the Fair, and perceive the unimaginable hand and mind of Feanor at their work, while both the White Tree and the Golden were in flower!" He sighed and fell silent.
So, apparently, Gandalf would vote for Feanor?

But-- personally, although Feanor amazes me, I think Fingolfin rules, not the least because he remained level-headed most of the time, and was consistently good.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:34 PM   #24
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Beleg is the best of the not-so-mighty elves. I don't get the obsession over Haldir. But for important Elves I go for Galadriel. She's one of the most powerful and oldest Elves during the War of the Ring.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:40 AM   #25
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm. Once again.

Well, it's got to be Fėanor. He wasn't truly evil, nor was he good, and actually he was both(I hate characters like Manwė or Melkor, pure evil or pure good just sucks). And he was one of the greatest elves(the greatest elf, if you ask me [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]) ever to live, so it's pretty obvious choice. Actually, he's my favorite character with Tśrin and Hśrin.

~Eomer
Afrodal Fenyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 11:45 AM   #26
Novhloke
Pile O'Bones

Novhloke has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novhloke
Sting

i cant truly say one is my favorite because i like them all, Elrond, Fingolefin, Celeborn, Galadriel, Elronds Kids, there all awesome!
Old 04-13-2003, 01:22 PM   #27
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

1. Elrond - I really admire his wisdom and kindess, and am suprised that he himself hasn't died of grief from everything he's been through.

2. Galadriel - I love her because she's a strong woman, and for pretty much reasons already stated.

3. Luthien - Look at #2. :P
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 11:04 PM   #28
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
"Even now my heart desires to test my will upon it...and turn it where I would-- to look across the wide seas of water and of time to Tirion the Fair, and perceive the unimaginable hand and mind of Feanor at their work, while both the White Tree and the Golden were in flower!" He sighed and fell silent.
Great quote, mark12_30!

I'd also say Feanor. Remember how amazed everyone was by his silmarils. Even the Valar were dropping their jaws. And he made the palantirs (I know it was hinted at anyway) and there's a quote somewhere in LOTR where Gandalf, I believe, mentions that the palantirs were beyond Sauron's craft. Sauron was a great pupil of Aule, who was basically the God of skill and craft, and it was beyond his craft! That should say something.

Plus, remember this quote...
Quote:
Then turning to the herald he cried: 'Say this to Manwe Sulimo, High King of Arda: if Feanor cannot overthrow Morgoth, at least he delays not to assail him, and sits not idle in grief. And it may be that Eru has set in me a fire greater than thou knowest. Such hurt at the least will I do to the Foe of the Valar that even the mighty in the Ring of Doom shall wonder to hear it. Yea, in the end they shall follow me. Farewell!'
In that hour the voice of Feanor grew so great and so potent that even the herald of the Valar bowed before him as one full-answered, and departed; and the Noldor were over-ruled.
Sounds pretty awesome to me.

And just because Fingolfin was the strongest doesn't mean that he could beat Feanor in a fight. Though Fingolfin was a bit stronger, Feanor was likely more agile and had more perfect coordination (the coordination is for sure, since he was such a great craftsman), and any fighting or weapons expert would tell you that that would give Feanor the greater advantage in a sword fight. Now, I'm not saying he would definitely win, but I'm saying that it's certainly possible. Remember, Feanor fought all by himself against a few balrogs for some time before he was finally struck down.

I'd definitely vote for Feanor.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:35 PM   #29
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

Ok Phantom won me over,Feanor rocks! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2003, 02:51 AM   #30
Galadriel's Slave

Sting

Oh man... the list goes on...

Lśthien
Fėanor
Galadriel
Fingolfin

and I agree, anyone says Legolas and I'm going to be sad.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:54 AM   #31
Galadriel's Slave

Sting

Oh, hey, two more.

Maeglin
Maedhros

[ April 14, 2003: Message edited by: Galadriel's Slave ]
Old 04-15-2003, 11:22 AM   #32
The Evenstar
Wight

The Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think Elrond is the most awesome elf, because of the reasons said above.

Hmmmmmm. Who would choose Celeborn........He's awesome huh? (just kidding )
Old 04-15-2003, 12:42 PM   #33
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Galadriel.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:34 PM   #34
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dūm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting

I dunno. I think the Legolas from the books is cool, but I really don't like him in the movies. Also, I think Haldir is pretty cool. And Galadriel.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:36 PM   #35
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dūm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting

Oh, but my friend would probably say Legolas(from the movies). I don't agree with her. Only from the books.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:24 AM   #36
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Am i the only one here that thinks Legolas is kool?Legolas is my fave Elf along with Arwen!I like both of them coz they are both beautiful(what Elf isnt?)and they are really good at kicking some searious a** ! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ April 28, 2003: Message edited by: Frodo 007 ]
Old 04-28-2003, 06:25 PM   #37
Eldawen of Lorien
Pile O'Bones

Eldawen of Lorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree that Legolas is pretty cool in the books but I have to go with either Galadriel or Luthien for my favorite elf. They both have a strong character for being a couple of the only powerful women in the books.
Eldawen of Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:27 PM   #38
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Elrond's sons was the best ever! They fought alongside Aragorn at the Black Gate. That takes guts.
If those are the qualifications, doesn't that put Legolas ahead of them? He fought at the Hornburg, in Moria, on Amon Hen, and was unmoved by the creepiness of the Paths of the Dead.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:34 PM   #39
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Hehe [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
My personal favorite race is the Elves, so this will be hard, but I think that as my tops I will put:
Elrond
Glorfindel
Haldir (in the movies- how can you not like somone who dies like that [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
Sons of Elrond
Legolas

Oh wait, that's almost everyone, I guess they're just all my favorites [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

~Pondering over Elves, Menelien
Old 05-01-2003, 07:29 PM   #40
Nyneve
Animated Skeleton

Nyneve has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My favorite elves are Elrond, his sons, and Elwing. I did think that Legolas was a pretty interesting character in the book in some parts. He was good in the movie too, but not because he is hot (He is of course) but I thought Orlando really captured the scene following Gandalf's Fall into shadow. He looked sad and confused, which is somewhat understanable considering he is not use to seeing what death does to the people close to the deceased. He is Hot. OK, shoot me...