The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-19-2008, 02:18 AM   #1
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Werewolf XLVIII: When Virtual Becomes Reality

The Barrow-Wight stared at his computer screen in frustration. His inbox was overflowing with various complaints about inappropriate behaviour on the Barrow Downs and difficulties accessing the site. It seemed that as soon as one problem was fixed, another one popped up. And lately he hadn’t even been able to fix some of the biggest problems of all. People hacking into members’ accounts? These weren’t just technical difficulties. A new email appeared in the Barrow-Wight’s inbox; this time from Estelyn:

B-W-

I seem to be experiencing some serious problems of my own here. While I can access the Downs, I am not able to log into my account. I’ve talked to morm and he seems to be experiencing the same problems. What’s going on?

-Esty

First all these problems, and now the mods can’t even log into their accounts? What’s going on…that’s a good question. The Barrow-Wight had been in contact with many tech people over the past several days, yet no one could figure out exactly how to fix these problems. Someone was behind these technical difficulties, that was obvious…but who could these culprits be? They left absolutely no tracks behind the chaos they created. For awhile the Barrow-Wight had been somewhat able to manage the messes made, but now with the moderators’ accounts blocks and him unable to lock him, he was losing all control. It’d only be time before he himself would lose access the website he created. Perhaps it was time the Barrow Downs was shut down. No…no, I can’t do that. Think of all the people I would let down. There’s gotta be another solution.

And that’s when he thought of it. A brilliant idea. These culprits…the way they worked, they weren’t outsiders…they were BDers. These guys knew the forum like the back of their hands. And the way things were going now, they wouldn’t miss an important Barrow Downs meeting for the world. Not if it meant causing more trouble.

So the Barrow-Wight wrote the post. Hopefully enough would see it before any more problems errupted. His last act of desperation to save his beloved forum:

An Announcement to All Barrow-Downers-

I am pleased to announce the first ever official Barrow Downs gathering. This is an opportunity of a lifetime to finally meet all your fellow Barrow Downs members you have been friendly with. Everyone is welcome, the more the merrier. The gathering will take place in a remote location in the woods, so please be sure to bring along tents and other camping supplies.

Be sure to RSVP. I hope to see many of you there!

The Barrow-Wight

P.S. Apologies to everyone for the technical difficulties we have been experiencing. We are still sorting it out. Please be patient.

It was a stretch…but there were enough Barrow Down addicts around for at least a dozen to show up. And the Barrow-Wight was sure of it that the hackers would be among them.

PLEASE DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The day had come. The Barrow-Wight paced back and forth in front of his tent as he waited anxiously for the others to arrive. And they did. One by one, the BDers showed up hauling large backpacks. They greeted the Barrow-Wight and each other, then quickly went to business with setting up their tents. By nightfall, nineteen BDers had come. The turnout was even better than he expected. Dinner was served and BDers sat around the fire pit in different groups chatting happily with one another.

“ZOMG, the B-W is sooo HOT!!!” gushed Nerwen rather loudly.
The Sixth Wizard raised his eyebrows. “Can’t you even speak aloud with proper grammar? Who could possibly understand you?”
“I can!” Shasta jumped in. “What she’s trying to say is, ‘Oh my, the Barrow-Wight is incredibly attractive.’”
“Thx Shasta!!!!”

Meanwhile Formendacil was attempting to explain to Eomer of the Rohirrim how the Lord of the Rings films abandon the styles of Tolkien.
“Hey,” Eomer defended. “If anything, it’s Tolkien’s fault that he didn’t write about how Legolas skateboarded down the stairs on a shield at Helm’s Deep. That was a brilliant scene.”
“No it wasn’t,” commented The Elf-Warrior. “That was just plain silly. And totally impossible, by the way.”

“Did you know that Tolkien wrote a book about Elanor Gamgee and how she became a shieldmaiden of the Shire and married an elf?” Rikae shared. “It just never got published.”
“Really?” asked Sally excitedly. “Have you read it…and can I get a copy?”
Kitanna rolled her eyes. “That’s not true. And I would know because I’ve read absolutely everything Tolkien has ever written.”
“Well, not only have I read everything he has ever written, but I’ve met J.R.R. Tolkien himself,” commented Boromir88.

Eönwë was busy describing his latest dream to Mithalwen.
“And then…he ate me. Dreams are supposed to mean something right? I swear to you, those balrogs are no myth. They’re out to get me…and my family.”
Mithalwen jotted notes onto a pad of paper. “Yes, and why do you suppose that is?”

“Hey, I know this great Gandalf the Grey Uncloaked joke,” said McCaber. “It goes-“
“Oh please don’t,” moaned Kath. “Those jokes are getting so old…”

Durelin sat next to THE Ka dressed in a ranger outfit and carrying a rubber sword.
“You know, this gathering wasn’t supposed to be in costume,” informed THE Ka.
“I’m RPGing,” Durelin replied.
“Well, you look stupid.”
“Hey, you wanna start something? I’ve got a sword!” Durelin threw Ka a threatening look.
“Yeah...well..." Ka stammered. "Whoa- don’t look now, but I think I see an orc in the trees behind you!”

Nilpaurion Felagund sat on a log all by himself singing random songs. “Praise Eru for this blessed food,” he cried out with every bite he took.
Aganzir gave him a funny look as she wrote some final thoughts in her notebook before getting up.

“Here,” Aganzir handed her notebook to the Barrow-Wight. “Will you take these into consideration?”
The Barrow-Wight skimmed through her notes. “Aganzir, reputation only exists when you’re actually on the forum. Anyways, you only just met all these people…how can you have so many negative thoughts about them?”
Aganzir snatched back the notebook and returned to her seat, huffing and muttering.

“Barrow-Wight, I’ve heard you are in need of new moderators?” asked Nogrod. “You have received my PMs, haven’t you?”
“Yes, all twenty-three of them.”
“Well you will take it into consideration, won’t you? I just know I’d make a great mod.”
“Nogrod, now’s not exactly the time for this. I have a speech to make…so why don’t you sit down…”

Once everyone was finished eating, the Barrow-Wight cleared his throat and the chatting slowly died out.
“I am pleased that all of you could make it here today for the first annual Barrow-Downers gathering. What a great opportunity it is to finally meet each other in person. But this gathering was not planned just because…but for unfortunate circumstances. As you all know, lately there have been many technical difficulties occurring on the Downs. Unavailable servers, anonymous negative reputations, hijacked accounts…and most recently the moderators’ accounts have been blocked. I have been working on these problems for weeks, but have gotten nowhere. What I do know is that there are three Downers who are responsible for this mess…all of whom I suspect are among us right now. Of course, things would be much easier if they were to come and confess here and now…but I highly doubt such an event. So while you all may have thought this was simply a fun gathering, it is much more than that. It is up to us to figure out which of us are the hackers. We aren’t completely helpless against whatever evil plans these hackers may have. For one, you have me the creator. And secondly, I have assigned three members I trust most to become the newest moderators. I will not reveal their identities for the sake of hiding them from the hackers, but do know you have extra help. Now, it is getting late and I’m sure you are all tired from your long journey here. Therefore we will begin our discussions in the morning. So sleep well…and keep your eyes and ears open!”

Night 1 begins.

The Hackers/Wolves may discuss. The Seer may dream. Everyone else should remain silent.

Be sure to turn yourselves invisible if you haven’t already!
Old 07-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Night 1

The Barrow-Wight could not sleep. His mind kept racing back to the events of the evening. He had sounded so confident in his speech, but in truth he couldn’t help but worry about the possibility that he could be wrong. What if the hackers weren’t even here? Then everyone would be accusing innocents. This whole situation could turn very messy. The what-ifs continued to flood the Barrow-Wight’s mind until a noise outside the tent caused him to freeze in his thoughts.

“Who’s there?” the Barrow-Wight asked, his voice wavering.

The Barrow-Wight sat up and turned on his flashlight. Large shadows surrounded his tent. No humans could possibly be so large. Were there bears in this part of the woods? Then the zipper of the tent door slowly slid open. The Barrow-Wight shook so hard he dropped his flashlight and the tent was consumed by darkness. The sound of evil laughter erupted into the tent followed by a “Surprise!” and the Barrow-Wight heard no more.

When the Barrow-Wight regained consciousness his head was throbbing. He tried to move only to discover his hands and feet were bound. The sound of shovels freeing dirt could be heard nearby.

“Hey, he’s awake,” said a voice.
“Well then, make sure he doesn’t shout for help,” said another. “We’re almost done here.”

One of the shapes leaned down towards the Barrow-Wight and a face came into view. A furry face. “You know, you’ve been causing us a lot of trouble lately,” it grunted.
“Yeah,” said a third. “It didn’t have to be this way.”
“What do you mean?” asked the Barrow-Wight. “You’re the ones who started all this.”
“Ah, silly B-W. It’s just a website…one that happens to discriminate against our kind. Whoever said that we were the bad guys? All we wanted was for you to step down. But then you to arrange all of this. And now, mobs will be coming after us with pitchforks and torches….just like the old days. So you have left us with no choice; if killing is what it takes to end all this, that’s what we’ll do.”
“You’ll never get away with this,” the Barrow-Wight said.
“Well, we’ll just see about that,” said the closest shape as it gagged the Barrow-Wight. “But I guess you won’t, will you?”
The last thing the Barrow-Wight ever saw was a set of large grinning teeth.

--------------------
The Barrow Downers woke to a cool, breezy morning. They ate breakfast as they waited for further instructions. But they did not come.

Finally Nogrod asked, “Where is the Barrow-Wight?”
“I don’t know,” replied Kitanna. “Is he in his tent? Maybe he overslept.”
“Nope,” replied Eomer. “I just checked.”
“Perhaps he just went on a walk,” said Kath.
“Without telling us?” asked Mithalwen.
“Hey guys…was that there yesterday?” Durelin was pointing to a large mound only meters away from the camp.

The nineteen BDers approached the mound. It was covered with fresh dirt.
“Look, there’s a sign over here,” McCaber observed.
It read: Here lies The Barrow-Wight. May he not rest in peace.

“Oh dear,” sighed Sally.
“Why would someone do something like that?” asked The Sixth Wizard.
“Isn’t it obvious?” Rikae commented. “These hackers don’t want to be discovered.”
“Well now that the B-W is dead, what are we going to do?” THE Ka asked.
“The only thing we should do,” Boromir replied. “We must finish what the Barrow-Wight started and find these hackers.”

----------------------

The Living:

Nilpaurion Felagund~Ainulindalë Addict
Kitanna~the self-righteous know-it-all
Aganzir~non-anonymous neg-repper
Shastanis Althreduin~chatspeak translator
Nerwen~rabid fangirl
Boromir88~the one upper
Kath~artiste
Rikae~the person who tries to fake knowledge of the books and fails miserably
Durelin~Unreliable RPG Addict
Eomer of the Rohirrim~easily-offended trendy
Nogrod~the wanna-be moderator
The Elf-Warrior~nitpicker
satansaloser2005~a fan of everything but Tolkien
THE Ka~Artful Dodger
Eönwë~conspiracy theorist
The Sixth Wizard~grammar Nazi
Formendacil~Tolkien Canonist
Mithalwen~therapist
McCaber~does it 4 teh lulz

The Dead:

The Barrow-Wight~took up permanent residence in a barrow (mod)

---------------

Day 1 has begun.

Hackers/Wolves stop PMing. Everyone now may discuss.

Last edited by Brinniel; 07-03-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Ah, hadn't realised this was already open. Well, as I said, won't be here much toDay so as I'm the first and only one here I'll just make my presence known and head to bed. Hopefully will be able to get a post in come morning (RL) and then I should be around for a couple of hours in the evening.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
Question

We are in a heap of trouble, and no mistake about it. Ok, who among you all here is a murdering hacker? Anyone want to confess? Just thought a direct question wouldn't hurt. Hey, hackers, may The Barrow-Wight rest in peace. Can I have a second to this motion?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
ware iz eVry1? hav teh haxOrs got U all??!!!1!!

talk 2 me plz ppl

EDIT: X'd with EW.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
Nerwen, you said for us to talk. Ok, here goes. Nerwen, are you a party in the murder of The Barrow-Wight? I want a yes or no answer. You too, Kath. Answer this same question. For the record, I am not a party to the murder of the Barrow-Wight.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Well, this is rather discomfiting, to be sure, but no one should be taking any alarm here. I mean, really... good guys die all the time in Tolkien--especially if they're leaderly sorts. Take a quick glance over the Silmarillion, if you don't believe me. In fewer pages than it takes Robert Jordan to waffle about whether or not one character is dead or not, Tolkien manages to kill off five High Kings of the Noldor, six sons of Fëanor (and his mum), the whole kingdom of Doriath, and more secondary and tertiary characters than you can count on an army's worth of thumbs.

What should really be taken as crucially problematic here is that the Barrow-Wight wasn't just the forum's Fingolfin or Fingon--he was more in the line of Manwë or Eru. If he's dead, what chance does any of us have.

Still, Melkor can't win. Or Sauron. Or Herumor. Or any of the other successive waves of evil that Gandalf predicted.

All the same, let's not find ourselves in a latter-day Kin-slaying, as I rather fear we have.
Formendacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White Tree Preserved in Milton or Shakespeare's name.

Repent! for was it not of old writ that:
Thou Melko shalt see that no theme can be played save it come in the end of Ilúvatar's self, nor can any alter the music in Ilúvatar's despite. He that attempts this finds himself in the end but aiding me in devising a thing of still greater grandeur and more complex wonder: -- for lo! through Melko have terror as fire, and sorrow like dark waters, wrath like thunder, and evil as far from my light as the depths if the uttermost of dark places, come into the design that I laid before you. Through him has pain and misery been made in the clash of overwhelming musics; and with confusion of sounds have cruelty, and ravening, and darkness, loathly mire and all putrescence of thought or thing, foul mists and violent flame, cold without mercy, been born, and death without hope. Yet is this through him and not by him; and he shall see, and ye all likewise, and even shall those beings, who must now dwell among his evil and endure through Melko misery and sorrow, terror and wickedness, declare in the end that it redoundeth only to my great glory, and doth but make the theme more worth the hearing, Life worth more the living, and the World so much the more wonderful and marvellous, and that of all the deeds of Ilúvatar it shall be called his mightiest and loveliest.

HoME I 2
And later was it not inscribed
When famed most three-part masterpiece
Of him that wrought in mind the holy musics
Began he to fashion fairest tale of Phantasie:
[T]hou, Melko, shalt see that no theme may be played that has not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempts this shall but aid me in devising things yet more wonderful, which he himself has not imagined. Through Melko have terror as fire, and sorrow like dark waters, wrath like thunder, and evil as far from my light as the uttermost depths of the dark place come into my design. In the confusion of sound were made pain and cruelty, devouring flame and cold without mercy, and death without hope. Yet he shall see that in the end this redounds only to the glory of the world, and this world shall be called of all the deeds of Ilúvatar the mightiest and most lovely.

HoME V 2 iv
Alas! that in my hand I not
The later designs and histories have,
Or yet, that I should have misplaced
My copy of that which Christopher cobbled,
His son, out of his myriad manuscripts.
Yet I implore you, I entreat upon your soul
O hackers three, to turn from
Your treacherous treading and beg
Forgiveness from him who
This fair site founded.

Return I shall, when respite from
Academic abomination have I gained
and hope that here shall I find
Ravagers repenting of their wrack.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #10
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Form-->Noggie at 8:49am
Kit-->Nerwen at 11:50am
Sally-->Sixth at 4:29pm
Mith-->Sally at 4:51pm
Eomer-->Mith at 5:18pm
Eon-->Mith at 5:25pm
Kath-->Eon at 5:28pm
Ka-->Rikae at 5:35pm
Durelin-->Kit at 5:37pm
Boro-->Sixth at 5:42pm
Nilp-->Eon at 5:48pm
Rikae-->Nerwen at 5:50pm
Elf-->Sixth at 5:54pm
Nerwen-->Eon at 5:55pm
Agan-->Sixth at 5:56pm
Noggie-->Sixth at 5:59pm

All votes are GMT-5. For those who aren't familiar with how I do it, known innocents are in italics and known wolves are underlined. Enjoy!

*awaits some posts, as she is a lonely but brave little toaster* (and yes, I know that was random)

By the way, nice move Mister/Miss Ranger. You're fantastic. As in, more than fantastic. As in more fantastic than Nine himself.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #11
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
It's always fun to visit friends you haven't seen in a long time and be a quest in other peoples' houses - and I've sure enjoyed my time here. But werewolfwise it's pretty frustrating...

Anyhow I've just read the thread for toDay and will be able to actually play later nearer the deadline (like on Day1).

Just a few short notes for now.

I appreciate Nerwen's listing of the frivolous votes". I do disappreciate them.

And what, Shasta said that "at least Kath is honest"! And I haven't seen anyone strongly disagreeing... I myself have rather lived by the standard twisted from Göbbels: "everytime I hear a declaration of a random vote I load my gun". And even if you don't agree with my policies against randomvoters you must agree that it's just nuts to declare someone to be honest if someone says: "I'll vote random" even if she adds it being the one who posted before her. Eonwe (the one without the ¨-marks voted once random for someone being seventh in the list after him etc.).

Like yesterDay I'm not buying this Nerwen is a wolf -argument unless it has more to it (brought there by myself or someone else). She looks more innocent and helpful than many around here.

Gah, my dad called and I need to go... I'll continue as soon as I may.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #12
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Again I can't wait to hear from those I suspect. So it comes to Eonwe, Agan, and Nerwen.

Eonwe and Agan because of their votes and reasoning.
And my suspicions of Nerwen have not lessened from yesterday. But I feel more confident in mischief on her part now than I did when I voted yesterday. However, I am not confident enough enough to vote for her.

Of Eonwe and Agan it becomes hard to chose. I feel both had rather flimsy reasons for voting the way they did. Eonwe's vote looks far more random and Agan's looks plan suspicious though unsurprising.

++ Aganzir

Eonwe warrants watching and carefully, but when it comes to these two I had to go with my gut feeling. Agan's vote for Sixth, in fact the entire suspicions raised against Sixth, feel wrong. Agan was looking for people to move away from IC posts in some of her earliest posts, but then she votes for someone who made one IC post and never defended themselves again. That all feels wrong to me and it doesn't make sense.

Last edited by Kitanna; 07-06-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: edit: typos
Kitanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Ok - The Elf-Warrior (who I was about to call "she" too, before Form beat me to it) started ringing my alarm bells from his first post yesterDay, and his vote is one of the most evil looking I have ever seen. However, there's something that bugs me about this - I'm not sure how often he's played WW before, but his first posts bothered me precisely because they looked like the nervously smiling, orchestrated posts of a newbie wolf. The rather cocky vote, however, is more like something a bold, experienced wolf might try as a method of "hiding in the open" - defying the village openly in a way a newbie wolf wouldn't dare to do. I will be watching him closely from now on - I have some more thoughts about him I'd rather not mention just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta
Hmm. In #102, Nogrod expressly edits, mentioning Eonwe's edit to say he X'd with Eomer, but apparently did not X with anyone above him, leading me to an odd conclusion. To quote Alice; "Curiouser and curiouser!"
The post before Eomer's was Nogrod's, made two minutes earlier. The one before that was Eonwe's (sorry, I can type ö, but no appropriate e) earlier post. Incidentally, if Eonwe crossed with Eomer, it means he took between 9 and 7 minutes to make his vote-post... evidence of some dilly-dallying or careful thought, but not long enough to be suspicious. Not sure what exactly you're getting at, Shasta.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #14
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Oh, and one more thing regarding Eönwe and Eomer -
I can't for the life of me see what was so suspicious about Mith yesterday.

For that matter, I can't see why Sixth was lynched, or why Nerwen thought there was a wolf among Form/Agan/Nilp (not that there isn't), nor why Kitanna voted the indeed suspicious Nerwen for all the wrong reasons, nor why Nogrod was (and is) so quiet. *whew*

That said, there is an innocent (unless cobbler) now known to our ranger, and I suspect it is among those the wolves could be expected to want out of the way early on (which makes me feel better about Nogrod - or possibly, makes the ranger feel better about me? )

Oh, and another thing - Form, in my opinion wolf kills (at least early in the game) are rarely as enlightening as they are made out to be. Usually, they absorb everyone's attention for the first half of the day and then everyone ends up agreeing that it was a "random kill" or possibly a bluff or a double bluff, leaving us where we started, but down an innocent and one day closer to annihilation. Three cheers for the ranger, I say.

EDIT: X'd with Formendacil

Last edited by Rikae; 07-06-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #15
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Kitanna, you are making my brain hurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
my suspicions of Nerwen have not lessened from yesterday. But I feel more confident in mischief on her part now than I did when I voted yesterday. However, I am not confident enough enough to vote for her.
But... you're saying you were less confident yesterday, when you did vote for me. Huh?

Then you vote Aganzir, saying that she's more suspicious than Eönwë. Yet your previous post was a rather convincing argument for Eönwë being the more likely hacker of the two, with Aganzir the possible spammer.

What changed your mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Not sure what exactly you're getting at, Shasta.
I think he's implying that Eönwë lied about having x'd with Eomer.

(P.S. you can just copy people screennames from their posts, accents and all. That's what I do.)

EDIT: x'd with Formendacil, Rikae, & Formendacil again.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #16
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
I retain a suspicion that at least one werewolf is hiding among the numerous Sixth voters. If nothing else, they comprise a bloc of voters that is just shy of 1/3 of the community, and so it seems statistically likely that 1/3 of the wolves voted thusly--if we assume all votes equal. They aren't, of course, but we haven't enough hindsight yet to weigh them accurately.

Our votes then (culled from Sally's very useful voting record, for Sixth:

Sally-->Sixth at 4:29pm
Boro-->Sixth at 5:42pm
Elf-->Sixth at 5:54pm
Agan-->Sixth at 5:56pm
Noggie-->Sixth at 5:59pm

As for Sally herself, her vote is sufficiently early in the record (although late in the day) to not garner too much suspicion. Few people had voted yet, she wasn't bandwaggoning, and accusing Sixth is entirely understandable since a case could be made that he was trying to fly under the radar. That being said, however, Sixth had definitely given signs of having fallen off the map, and with an hour and a half left of game time, Sally could have been taking a calculated risk that he would turn up towards the end and leave her vote just one of a number of one-only votes.

Suspicion Level: Low-to-Moderate

Boromir's vote brought Sixth to a tie for lynching with Mith. Although hardly a deciding vote, it is still a very crucial one in my opinion, since with under 20 minutes left and a number of votes yet uncast, those remaining to vote would likely be waiting to see where the wind was blowing, and cast one's vote onto a bandwaggon accordingly. In this case, Boromir's vote meant that Mithalwen was NOT the only player with a multiple number of votes. With this in mind, if Boromir IS a wolf, then Mith very well may be too.

Nothing conclusive from his voting, though it IS suspicious, but on top of this I would add a general feeling from Boromir's reaction to his inability to be online. Now, granted, he could be just a villager or gifted frustrated with an inability to contribute (Boro definitely fits the profile), but his anxiety seems to me almost a bit more personally related, as though he isn't able to influence the actions of the game as he would like. Obviously, this need not make him a wolf--he could just as easily be a cobbler--but it does raise the suspiciousness in my eyes.

Suspicion Level: Moderate-to-High

Elf-warrior's vote, as I have said, looks very bad. Not only did it solidly put Sixth in the lead--a lead he never lost, it was done for very vague reasons. As Nerwen puts it, he's pre-defensive. I would put it differently--he's calculatedly defiant. There's an air about his post of "this isn't really random and I'm not even going to make it look random." Overall, Elf-warrior seems to be posting just enough to not appear to be lurking, but not really substantially enough to form a judgement on--save his vote, which I would say speaks for itself.

Also, as with Boromir, if Elf-warrior is a wolf, one should definitely take a closer look at Mith for potential wolvishness.

Suspicion Level: High

Aganzir has been pushing buttons for two days now... but my understanding is that this is how she normally plays--an understanding that I may pay dearly for if I'm wrong. Her vote against Sixth is the least damning of the five, I would say, and I may get in hot water for saying why. Basically, it boils back to my opinions about Day 1s. Agan's vote, rightly or wrongly, strikes me in such a way as to suggest a similar attitude towards the likelihood of analysing a wolf out of the struggle, and while definitely not random, it's almost as if she's voting for Sixth with the attitude of "if we can't find a wolf, let's at least get rid of the deadwood" (no offence to the deceased, but Sixth was definitely not contributing a lot, real life circumstances to blame or no).

A case can be made against Agan, but I am not inclined to think in that direction.

Suspicion Level: Low

This leaves Nogrod. Perhaps I may seem biased after my vote against him yesterday, but I find him suspicious--albeit on actual grounds this time. Nogrod is no dullard, so the fact that he throws his vote away on Sixth at the very last minute, when there was already no doubt that he was going to be lynched, cannot be simply taken as a sign of an innocent tacking his vote on for the sake of voting and not wanting to make a decision that made a difference.

Rather, it would appear more likely that Nogrod is a wolf attempting to look like that, knowing that adding his vote uselessly to someone a wolf would know is innocent would give him just a touch of suspicion--enough to explain his lack of death at wolvish hands in days to come, and to free him from more serious suspicion that would come from a more serious vote.

Unfortunately, the whole difficulty with my crediting Nogrod with great intelligence here is that one can go deeper and deeper... what if Nogrod is a gifted looking like a werewolf looking like an ordo? Or a cobbler looking like a gifted looking like a werewolf looking like an ordo? Or a werewolf looking like a cobbler looking like a gifted looking like a werewolf looking like an ordo?

Suspicion Level: Moderate

On the basis of the above, I would be most inclined to vote Elf-warrior, but Boromir and Nogrod would be considerable also, if the voting winds blow that way.