The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-14-2005, 03:50 PM   #321
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Dear Wilwa, may you rest in peace. Sorry I doubted you.

Of the people left... 1. tar, 2. Glirdan and 3. Lalaith. My suspicion of Glirdan is almost purely circumstantial - in all likelihood I will not be voting for him today. As for Lalaith, I had been intending to hold her as innocent based on the supposition that all three wolves would not vote the same; however, being that Wayne was the last to vote and his vote seemed a little odd anyway, I'm not going to wholly discount her. I probably won't be voting for her either, though. That only leaves tar, whom I've been suspicious of for a while anyway. At this point, I don't see any reason why my vote would not go to her.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:21 PM   #322
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Don't forget LMP, Firefoot.....he's not been proved innocent either....

I confess that you could have knocked me down with one of my own goose feathers when I found out Kitanna's wolf status. It's a question of back to the drawing board theory-wise, as far as I'm concerned...I'm going to bed now but I'll be back to talk in the morning.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:20 PM   #323
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

But I'm not suspicious of him. At any rate, I would be knocking him down a few notches for the same reasons as you, and I've been figuring him innocent for quite a while now. I don't see much reason to focus my suspicions there today.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:35 PM   #324
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry for not showing up sooner for the discussion. Getting Wilwa unimpaled, making fake eyes, making them fit just right, cleaning up all the blood, cleaning and clothing the corpse in Wilwa's best, digging the grave, scribbling all kinds of bad rough drafts for the epitaph, it all takes time.

Thanks again for the confidence in my innocence, Firefoot. I promise you that it will not go unrewarded (as much as in my power as a fellow innocent).

Lalaith, I don't buy your "surprised" act.

I also don't understand, Firefoot, why you're looking so hard at tar-ancalime when it was her use of Occam's Razor that singled out Kitanna as a must-be werewolf. She was at a point of initiative when she did that, which speaks against her being a werewolf. Think, why would a werewolf start a bandwagon against her much-needed cohort? No, it looks much more like a process of deduction and figuring things out for the best of the group.

I still think Glirdan is innocent, and I think we should go after the one upon whom his suspicion has most consistently rested. Though he's not a known innocent, his behavior in this village, even for a jester, has been all too consistent, in my mind, for him to be a werewolf, and thus his suspicion needs to be given a good look.

And remember, Lalaith is the one villager who has spent the most time "imagining things from the werewolves' perspective". Now, why would she do that so much? Could it be because she's the werewolf? She has a lot to answer for, and had better start defending herself convincingly, or she gets my vote.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:15 PM   #325
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

what a shocking development.

right, tar has my suspicions. i would like to think i did my fair share in catching kitanna. if you look at it in those terms (lets face it, whatever you want to call it, bluffing, confusationing, place your own word here, wayne posted that kitanna was a wolf. unforetunately, i was the only one to see it.) then tar had a very, very worthwhile reason for getting kitanna lynched. your own arguemtns back this up (though, because this is werewolf, you could of course use it or discard it...)

lets see if i can dig up anything else...
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:24 PM   #326
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Wilwa, my dear old friend, may you rest in peace. I'm afraid to say that my time here will be very limited if I last throughout. You will not be seeing a whole lot of me today. I've been mourning the loss of our dear Seer.

*In other words, I had rehersahall and I just got home about fifteen minutes ago*

I'm not entirely sure anymore of who the final Wolf could be. Seeing as Kitanna was the final Wolf, it is highly likely that tar or Lalaith is the final Wolf. I'm now pretty much completely sure of Lmp's innocence. His posts yesterDay really made me think. We really need to find the final Wolf, or else there's a possiblity that he/she might attack the person who is Cursed. I suggest really looking into tar today, yet Lalaith is not at all cleared, not at all.

Quote:
I also don't understand, Firefoot, why you're looking so hard at tar-ancalime when it was her use of Occam's Razor that singled out Kitanna as a must-be werewolf.
I know this was directed at Firefoot, but let me give me my reasoning for agreeing with her. Tar, Wayne and Kitanna have all been the really quiet ones of the village. They have all suspected each other (or, at least I think they did) and in this way, they thought they'd all be able to distance themselves. They way I see it, tar using the Occam's Razor was their way of Kitanna dropping out and at the same time, an excuse for tar to use to distance and clear herself. I really think that we should be taking a closer look at tar toDay. And you're all going to probably be very susprised at what I'm about to say, she seems more suspicious than Lalaith.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:27 PM   #327
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Hm... maybe so.

I'll be honest, I probably have not been giving Lalaith as much consideration as I probably should have. She is the one who I had thought was the Seer; her posting style seemed strongly reminscent of it. Obviously this is not the case. Oftentimes gifted villagers do come off as seeming guilty; I suppose the opposite could well be true in this case. And maybe the wolves really did intend for all of them to vote the same way, hoping to throw us off track as I have been. I can see the sense in wanting to vote for Lalaith.

You bring up a valid point about tar having started the bandwagon for Kitanna; this was something I had not considered. I'll admit that I have been looking very little at the voting of the past few days as both have been largely one-directional.
Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith:
Why did you do that Kitanna? The field was still open, there were five of us left to vote...and I for one would only have voted for you if I had to, to save myself. You're not very high on my list of suspects.
When viewed in a "I think she might be a wolf" light, this comment definitely seems suspicious. Also, her continued insistence that no one be discounted (her "don't forget LMP" comment to me, for example), could be seen as evidence that she does not want the field to be narrowed so much because that would mean a higher chance of her getting lynched. Hm... this is looking more convincing to me all the time. I'm surprised I didn't pick up on it before. Goes back to that "once you see someone as a wolf, it's easy to keep on seeing them as a wolf..." The opposite is true as well.

Edit: cross-posting with Eonwe and Glirdan, making me start to wonder about tar again...
Old 11-14-2005, 08:55 PM   #328
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, I'm going to throw an extra wrinkle into this.

We may have what I would call the "bait and switch" bluff. It goes like this. Glirdan has spent the entire time accusing and suspecting Lalaith, and pretty much nobody followed his lead. Finally, I started taking him seriously, and now he goes and switches to tar-ancalime, just when there's a real possibility of a consensus developing around Lalaith. Could it be that Glirdan doesn't want Lalaith's status known for sure?

Now, the same thing could be said of me, having been after Glirdan the whole time, then suddenly switching away from him to Lalaith. But nobody else was following me after Glirdan at any point, so if I had been doing a bait and switch, I failed to wait until somebody took the bait. Hence, it doesn't obtain in my case.

And something Firefoot said made me think: gifteds often look guilty. Lalaith looks guilty to me, and there's only one gifted left. Does that combination make sense? Has the remaining werewolf picked up on this and left Lalaith alive for fear of a demise should it attack her at night? I don't know, that's pure speculation.

But that gives me another thought. Since there's only one werewolf left, three known innocents, and one gifted, would it be better for the Hunter to stay hidden, or reveal?

Let's say the Hunter is NOT one of the three known innocents. It's not me, by the way. If the Hunter reveals toDay, what are the choices facing the werewolf? Any ideas?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:55 PM   #329
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
mostly in my own defense

Quote:
Tar, Wayne and Kitanna have all been the really quiet ones of the village. They have all suspected each other (or, at least I think they did) and in this way, they thought they'd all be able to distance themselves. They way I see it, tar using the Occam's Razor was their way of Kitanna dropping out and at the same time, an excuse for tar to use to distance and clear herself.
Have I really been quiet? I suppose the number of my posts has been relatively few, but I'd like to think that I have made up in substance what I lacked in frequency. If not, I do apologize.

Now, as to the unfortunately pervasive idea that a wolf-ancalime lurks among you:

On the advice of our Seer we killed Wayne, ridding the village of one wolf.

The very next DAY we killed Kitanna, taking down another and leaving us with only one, whom we can get toDAY if we vote correctly!

I was the first to vote for Kitanna. I voted quite early due to RL time constraints, it is true; but I voted with conviction. Would a wolf give up her fellow in this way, only a DAY after losing Wayne? Please, give me a little more credit than that!

Also, I'd like to ask Firefoot and Eonwe:

If I'm suspicious, why follow me and vote for Kitanna? If I'm a wolf, wouldn't I lead you down the garden path, so to speak?

And for Lalaith: I can't for the life of me see why you would vote for Kitanna, then post the following:

Quote:
I confess that you could have knocked me down with one of my own goose feathers when I found out Kitanna's wolf status.
Why on earth would you vote for her if you didn't think she was a wolf?

I apologize for my brevity; I shall certainly be back later in the DAY, but that is all I have time for at the moment. We have a chance to end this toDAY, and I want to see it done.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:02 PM   #330
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar-ancalime
And for Lalaith: I can't for the life of me see why you would vote for Kitanna, then post the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
I confess that you could have knocked me down with one of my own goose feathers when I found out Kitanna's wolf status.
Why on earth would you vote for her if you didn't think she was a wolf?
Well done, tar. I already didn't trust her. Now I'm as good as convinced.

I am tempted to up and vote right now for Lalaith, but I think I'd like to hear from her first.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:18 PM   #331
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Quote:
Glirdan has spent the entire time accusing and suspecting Lalaith, and pretty much nobody followed his lead. Finally, I started taking him seriously, and now he goes and switches to tar-ancalime, just when there's a real possibility of a consensus developing around Lalaith. Could it be that Glirdan doesn't want Lalaith's status known for sure?
Sorry for the confusion Lmp. I'm not saying that I'm not still suspicious of Lalaith. I'm saying that I find there's still a lot of evidence pointing towards tar being guilty.

Quote:
Have I really been quiet? I suppose the number of my posts has been relatively few, but I'd like to think that I have made up in substance what I lacked in frequency. If not, I do apologize.
You have been a little quiet. You spoke more than the other two, yet quiet enought to remain under suspicion until a few Days ago.

Quote:
I was the first to vote for Kitanna. I voted quite early due to RL time constraints, it is true; but I voted with conviction. Would a wolf give up her fellow in this way, only a DAY after losing Wayne? Please, give me a little more credit than that!
I've already stated my reasoning for this right here:

Quote:
The way I see it, tar using the Occam's Razor was their way of Kitanna dropping out and at the same time, an excuse for tar to use to distance and clear herself.
Draw from that what you might. But I still find that we should investigate tar more.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:42 PM   #332
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

And now I'm afraid to say that I have to cast my vote and I will go for the person I have been attacking constantly.

++Lalaith

I really hope I'm right in this.

*Don't take my amount of voting and time of vote into consideration. I'm having to cope with RL situations and events (rehersalls and other stuff)*
Old 11-14-2005, 11:35 PM   #333
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

the hidden Hunter

Quote:
But that gives me another thought. Since there's only one werewolf left, three known innocents, and one gifted, would it be better for the Hunter to stay hidden, or reveal?

Let's say the Hunter is NOT one of the three known innocents. It's not me, by the way. If the Hunter reveals toDay, what are the choices facing the werewolf? Any ideas?
This is an interesting topic, and here are my thoughts on it:

The Hunter, whomever he/she is, should probably not reveal him/herself. Revealing the Hunter at this point would only help the wolf.

A revealed Hunter is an obvious target for our remaining wolf, and as soon as possible: the wolf would likely try to take the Hunter down while the pool of suspects is as large as possible to lessen the probability of being the Hunter's target. The longer the Hunter stays anonymous, though, the less-appealing of a target s/he makes because of the increased likelihood of the wolf's going down too.

The Hunter, on the other hand, by simply staying alive as long as possible, only increases his/her chances that s/he will choose the right person, because the pool of possible suspects will grow smaller and smaller...provided we don't end the game toDAY, of course, in which case the Hunter's role is (happily) moot.

So, my advice is: unless the Hunter is absolutely sure of the wolf's identity and is looking to provoke a showdown, he or she should keep mum, at least for the next short while. As always, things change so fast that this advice may not hold; but it seems to me that for now the Hunter's best move is to keep quiet.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:51 AM   #334
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quick check in, will post more later:

Tar-a, I voted for Kitanna because it was the easiest thing to do, she seemed to want it herself. I honestly didn't think she was a wolf, but as I said, I was feeling so uncertain yesterday that I would have felt worried anywhere I cast my vote.

There's four of us left now and of those I suspect LMP (because he didn't go for Kitanna yesterday - although of course I didn't suspect her either) and Glirdan. (because of the flip-floppy thing). I don't particularly suspect tar-a, because she incriminated Kitanna, and because she seems often to reach the same kind of conclusions I do. (Sorry, tar-a, that doesn't really help you given how much suspicion I am under).
More in about three hours.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:30 AM   #335
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I think Lalaith really might be a case of barking up the wrong tree, but there are arguments that tell against her. They are certainly not, though, so facile as "she thinks from a werewolf's perspective! She must be a werewolf!" That reasoning is absurd, and sounds like it stems from a witch-hunter's incendiary ramblings...

Her vote for Wilwa is a bit incriminating, but the other option, Menel, was also, as far as the wolves knew, an innocent. She also spoke against the risky double-lynching plan.

Plan? What does that remind me of? Ah yes, remember the stalwart Undertaker and his plans, supposedly to provoke discussion, that sank one by one! Note that he's leaning towards Lalaith. Oh yes, I'm onto my old quarry again...
Old 11-15-2005, 03:13 AM   #336
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
I don't particularly suspect tar-a, because she incriminated Kitanna, and because she seems often to reach the same kind of conclusions I do. (Sorry, tar-a, that doesn't really help you given how much suspicion I am under).
Not to worry--the truth will out, and there is only one wolf left, after all--I think it's too late for guilt-by-association.

Lalaith, you posted:

Quote:
There's four of us left now and of those I suspect LMP (because he didn't go for Kitanna yesterday
...but I checked back and he did vote for Kitanna. He said he suspected you most, but Kitanna was definitely on his radar, and don't forget yesterDAY there were two wolves to worry about.

I'm sorry if I seem to be on your case toDAY, Lalaith--there have just been some inconsistencies in your posts lately, and each one I see makes me a little more worried about you. YesterDAY I couldn't make heads or tails of the Lalaith/Glirdan/lmp situation (as you can plainly see by reading my wishy-washy, mind-changing posts); but toDAY's posts (from everyone) are much more illuminating, I must say.

Nice to have our village jester back, by the way! Do you have any other thoughts on the events of the past few DAYS, Anguirel? I don't think I'm alone in saying that your voice has been sorely missed (especially since we know you're to be trusted!).
Old 11-15-2005, 03:48 AM   #337
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Quote:
I still think Glirdan is innocent, and I think we should go after the one upon whom his suspicion has most consistently rested. Though he's not a known innocent, his behavior in this village, even for a jester, has been all too consistent, in my mind, for him to be a werewolf, and thus his suspicion needs to be given a good look.
If he's innocent, he knows no more than the rest of us. (Oh and he's not a jester, he's undead...) And the suspicions of the known innocents are presumably slightly more valuable to us right now...

Firefoot, I would have thought my open sympathy for Kitanna yesterday would be more likely to help clear me than incriminate me. Although I suppose I could be a wolf doing a bold double-bluff. And I reminded you about LMP because there are four of us who are uncleared and I thought you'd forgotten, because you didn't mention him at all...although you are a careful and thorough villager so I should have realised you omitted him deliberately.

No apologies needed from anyone, for being on anyone else's case. There are four of us who could be wolves and we should all be thoroughly examined and scrutinised.
Sorry, yet another hasty post, I'll be back in another three-four hours, when I'll have more time.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:54 AM   #338
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Oh and nice to have you back with us, Sir Jester. You'd been worrying me. Can I have those feathers back please, my geese are getting cold...
Old 11-15-2005, 05:41 AM   #339
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

I have to vote now--

++Lalaith
Old 11-15-2005, 06:24 AM   #340
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Just a few comments; I will be voting within the hour.

If the hunter is Glirdan, Lalaith, or tar, (LMP has already stated he is not), I would say that it would be beneficial to the village for s/he to come out. Then we would be down to two (or three, if you want to count LMP). If we're wrong today we lynch the other tomorrow.
Quote:
If I'm suspicious, why follow me and vote for Kitanna? If I'm a wolf, wouldn't I lead you down the garden path, so to speak?
Well, at the point I voted it was a moot point - Kitanna already had the majority.

tar is seeming very slippery to me right now, but I am leaning towards Lalaith for a vote today. If Lalaith should be innocent, I want to lynch tar tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:20 AM   #341
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

heres a thought:

im pretty sure we can win now, without even looking at suspicion. just by lynching those not porven innocent.

Ang
Eonwe
Firefoot
Hunter

these are all known innocent

that leaves three people of unkonwn alliagence

we kill one today. (4,2)
wolf kills one at night (3,2)
we kill one tomarrow (3,1)
wolf kills one tomarrow night (2,1)
we kill whoever is left in the morning (2,0)

unless wilwa screwed something up (which is highly doubtable) we are set to win. if the hunter shows up.

im still betting on tar-a being a wolf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar-a
A revealed Hunter is an obvious target for our remaining wolf, and as soon as possible: the wolf would likely try to take the Hunter down while the pool of suspects is as large as possible to lessen the probability of being the Hunter's target. The longer the Hunter stays anonymous, though, the less-appealing of a target s/he makes because of the increased likelihood of the wolf's going down too.
not so. the more i look at it, the more i see that the hunter must come out:

if we lynch the wolf today, game over, none of this matters.

if we kill and inncoent, taht would leave us with (3, hunter vs. 2 unknown)

if the wolf kills the hunter, there are two possiblilities:

1. hunter kills an inncoent (3, 1 {who we will know must be the wolf})
2. hunter kills teh wolf (game over)

if teh wolf goes for anyother known innocent, it will play out as i expained earlier.

so the wolf cannot get at the hunter, because it will leave him by himself, or dead.

i don't see how we can lose, but it would be nice to get to the bottom by logic, not rote (sp?) lynching. and it think tar-a is due for the most suspicion.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:20 AM   #342
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

I've been pondering what to do for the best - I had thought it would be quite cool to go to the pyre silently, and take someone with me. But on balance, I think Firefoot is right, time to unveil.

I am the Hunter.

Edit: cross post with Eonwe, who also agrees with what I've just done.

Last edited by Lalaith; 11-15-2005 at 07:23 AM.
Lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:26 AM   #343
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar-a
the whole thing is a matter of timing (or so i believe). this is how i see it. after this wohle jazz about wayne's comment came out, you knew kitanna was shark's bait. i was going to vote kitanna whatever happened, cuz i thought she was a wolf. so waht would be the logical thing for teh fellow wolf to do? sell the torches, provide the pitchforks, and lead teh charge. milk the situation for wahtever there is left for you to gain.

edit: ooo, very nice lalaith. i do indeed agree.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:39 AM   #344
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

For what it's worth, I would rather lynch LMP or Glirdan than tar-a. But then I completely failed to spot Kitanna's wolfishness, so what do I know?
Old 11-15-2005, 07:44 AM   #345
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Ah-ha. I suspected as much, Lalaith, from your interest in my Orome hints further back. I'm surprised you had the forbearance to see that the Hunter facade I was putting up was a benevolent plan, not a lupine scheme.

That leaves:

Glirdan
littlemanpoet
tar-ancalime

Well-despite everything-I must admit I don't really think LMP is a wolf after all!

My recurrent accusation was intended to get him on the defensive and protect Lalaith, who was in real danger before her revelation. I also saw we were ahead by a long stroke, knew that no mistakes could lead to my lynching as I am now proven innocent, and thought it would be nice to avenge a few old scores. Ah well. There's an end to that.

tar-ancalime has played a skilful game. But skill-as we've learnt, for example, in Firefoot's case-is no more damning than wit. Or, indeed, ineptitude. It's merely a characteristic like any other, a variable, to be matched to wolves if displayed, but not if not.

In this case, I believe that tar-ancalime when all is said and done is in fact too skilful to be guilty. We've had the good fortune to be attacked by wolves who fell into a Seer's lure; who contained no overarching loud voice to bewilder their foes by day and marshal them at night, no first among equals; an unreliable spurter of contentless one-liners, a substantial but subdued talker, and the last wolf, overly defensive, petrified, amazed that they slipped past the Seer's dying dream, because we didn't go for the obvious answer.

One of my first accusations. I hope it will also be my last.

Q: What's large and hurry with vicious teeth and fangs and howls at the moon?

A: ++GLIRDAN.

And that, my friends, is the Reproof Valiant. The Solution Obvious. The Wolf Were.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:49 AM   #346
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Actually, Sir Jester, you've been a source of great trouble to me this game. By pretending to be the Hunter, you made me think you were the Seer.

Hence my doubts of poor wilwa.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:58 AM   #347
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Oh, and as I'm not alone in my suspicions, I'll vote:

++GLIRDAN
Old 11-15-2005, 10:45 AM   #348
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

This is the first Day I've given any serious consideration to the Hunter, and only after (I think) Firefoot mentioned the role, and that idea of gifteds looking guilty. Lalaith, thanks for being the Hunter so I don't feel like quite such a fool. With you removed from the suspect list, and me rather confident that tar-ancalime is innocent on the strength of helping to flush out Kitanna yesterday, knowing I'm innocent, my vote goes to ol' bait and switch himself:

++ GLIRDAN

If he's a werewolf, as I think he is, here's a healthy "I told you so" from the first few Days.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:59 PM   #349
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

++Glirdan

sounds good to me. we have all the time in teh world, after all...
Old 11-15-2005, 01:22 PM   #350
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

We were rather lucky in that the Hunter was not one of the already established innocents.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:36 PM   #351
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

So sorry I didn't vote earlier when I said I was going to... I was in a hurry and completely forgot.

I'm glad to see that my (shaky) trust in Lalaith was not unfounded. I would have rather lynched tar today, but oh well. I hadn't cleared Glirdan either.

++Glirdan
Old 11-15-2005, 02:54 PM   #352
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I think Eonwe has a point in his post saying that the werewolf can't win unless we really screw up (which is possible). So, is there any chance that we could go the rest of these Days (if Glirdan is not the last werewolf) with shorter increments? Like say give the werewolf whatever time needed to pick a kill, start the next Day right away after that and go until everybody has voted, and call that the end of the Day, then back to the werewolf, etc.?

I'd hate to see this drag out to the bitter end a week from now, ya know?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:00 PM   #353
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Glirdan was the one to gather the most votes that day, and the villagers didn't bother to hide their content as they cracked their knuckles and surrounded him. But the villagers' cheerfulness dropped away soon, when they faced a knotty problem: how do you kill an undead, especially one with Michael Jackson's nose? Was it possible to kill an undead with physical pain? "And my goal in life is to give to the world what I was lucky to receive: the ecstasy of divine union through my music and my dance", Glirdan smiled blissfully. "But then again, I'm already dead", he muttered.

"Let's taunt him to death!"

This easy (and clean) way received instant approval and Glirdan was trussed up with a rope and placed in the middle of the Village Square. "Let us dream of tomorrow where we can truly love from the soul, and know love as the ultimate truth at the heart of all creation", Glirdan philosophized, but the villagers didn't listen. Horrible curses started echoing in the twilight.

"You... you blockhead!"

"Scoundrel!"

"Ni!"

Glirdan rolled his eyes (clearly in horrible agony).

"You dried neat's-tongue!"

"Thou unmuzzled milk-livered hugger-mugger!"

All of the sudden, Glirdan's body fell limp on the ground. The affronts had finally worked! Or maybe the credit should have gone to a throwing axe that had cracked the back of his head, when some frustrated villager had decided to speed things up. In any case, the dead body that laid in front of the lot was a body of an innocent for it had not transformed.

Living:
Anguirel - jester
Eonwe - militiaman
Firefoot - traveller who has a dog
Lalaith - goosegirl
littlemanpoet - village undertaker
tar-ancalime - charlatan

Dead:
dancing spawn of ungoliant(mod) - mangled, tangled and strangled in fishing nets on Night 1
Bergil(ord) - hanged to death with profitable consequences on Day 1
Kuruharan(ord) - half devoured and prepared to be turned into haggis on Night 2
Meneltarmacil(ord) - sat on, roasted, minced and boiled by three passing by trolls on Day 2
Kath(ord) - chopped up and organized alphabetically on Night 3
WaynetheGoblin(wolf) - burned to death on Day 3
Celuien(ranger) - mauled with musical instruments on Night 4
Kitanna(wolf) - stoned, battered and decapitated on Day 4
Wilwarin538(seer) - eyes plucked out and made into a scarecrow on Night 5
Glirdan(ord) - taunted to death on Day 5

Score:
Villagers: 6
Wolves: 1

It is now night 6. You know what to do. The Night ends in 24 hours at 9:00 pm. GMT.
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:01 PM   #354
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Day 6

"And now the end is near and so I face the final curtain
my friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full, I've travelled each and ev'ry highway
and more, much more than this
I did it my way"

As usual the villagers met on the square in order to update Shamville's population. The count had declined with two that morning. Firefoot and her dog were missing.

The villagers trod to the traveller's humble shanty which she had built where the forest began. The first thing to catch the group's eye was Firefoot's skinned mutt, whose pelt was hung up to a limb of a spruce. Taking a deep breath, the villagers yanked the hut's door open and stepped in.

Lo and behold! There they saw Firefoot sleeping firmly under her blanket. But once everybody was convinced that it was hardly probable that Firefoot's dog would have just jumped out of his skin by himself, the villagers agreed that everything wasn't quite right after all. Carefully they lifted Firefoot's cover but seeing in what condition her body was, they put the blanket back pretty quickly. In some other occasion, it might have been interesting to discover, how purple, bruised and twisted one human body can be, but considering that the person concerned was one of their friends, it was understandable that they didn't stay examining her corpse very long.

Living:
Anguirel - jester
Eonwe - militiaman
Lalaith - goosegirl
littlemanpoet - village undertaker
tar-ancalime - charlatan

Dead:
dancing spawn of ungoliant(mod) - mangled, tangled and strangled in fishing nets on Night 1
Bergil(ord) - hanged to death with profitable consequences on Day 1
Kuruharan(ord) - half devoured and prepared to be turned into haggis on Night 2
Meneltarmacil(ord) - sat on, roasted, minced and boiled by three passing by trolls on Day 2
Kath(ord) - chopped up and organized alphabetically on Night 3
WaynetheGoblin(wolf) - burned to death on Day 3
Celuien(ranger) - mauled with musical instruments on Night 4
Kitanna(wolf) - stoned, battered and decapitated on Day 4
Wilwarin538(seer) - eyes plucked out and made into a scarecrow on Night 5
Glirdan(ord) - taunted to death on Day 5
Firefoot(ord) - mutilated and deformed on Night 6

Score:
Villagers: 5
Wolves: 1

It is now Day 6. It will last 24 hours unless it is fine with everybody that we speed things up. Have a nice Day!
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:37 PM   #355
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Most sorry at your passing, Firefoot. I think the werewolf has given up, or she might have attempted Lalaith. That which is below I wrote before hand:

The bulk of this post is being written during the Night phase.

We have three known innocents left "toDay". Who they are depends upon how things went down last Night:
tar went after either Lal or Firefoot. If Firefoot is dead, may she rest in peace knowing that the innocents have won. As Eonwe said, all you have to do is lynch either tar or me toDay; if this horror is not yet over, it means you will have lynched another innocent (me), and tar will take out another innocent tomorrow; just for kicks, let's say Anguirel. That leaves Lal & Eonwe as our innocents, and tar as our werewolf, and the two known innocents finally lynch the werewolf, terror eliminated. Take your pick, because it really doesn't matter.

The other possibility is that tar took a huge risk and banked on Lal being more suspicious of me than of her, and killed Lal last Night. If that's the case, we have three known innocents left, and the results are the same as in the above scenario, innocents have won, terror eliminated.

I'll tell you right now the same thing that tar is probably saying:

I'm an ordinary innocent.

Early on I offered a plan that got the discussion going. I made moves that would be too bold for a werewolf to make. I said things and did things that have all the earmarks of an innocent who doesn't have to watch his words really carefully because he has nothing to hide. On Day two, I pointed out tar's suspiciousness for all to see, and Firefoot caught on. So did Wilwa. But tar is canny enough and I'm trusting (or something) enough that she was able to pull the wool back over my eyes. 20/20 hindsight, I wish Wilwa had dreamed of her instead of Eonwe. Ah well.

I don't envy you guys your task of choosing between us toDay. You are quite right in thinking that either of us would probably play a very cunning werewolf. Just one problem. I'm a mercurial individual, as Anguirel & Lal can no doubt attest from these last few Days. I'm not the kind who can consistently pull off a lie that long, especially posting a lot. The best I can do, which I would have done (and did once in another 'life'), was tell the truth as much as I could, and say as little by way of fib as possible. That's how I would have been a werewolf. That's not what you saw from me over these last few Days. You saw someone who came out and said what was on his mind often, and was often wrong, even a little inconsistent at times, but always doing his best to aid the cause.

tar made an audacious move by initiating the move against her fellow werewolf Kitanna, by which she excused herself in my eyes. Very cunning. I can imagine that Kitanna informed her during the previous Night that her schedule was looking pretty busy and that she was sorry that she needed to really take a back seat and even vote against herself. tar decided to use that to her advantage and make herself look innocent. Just one problem: she voted to lynch the Hunter yesterDay. It may be that she did that before Lal revealed, though; if Lal had not, I would have voted for her lynching yesterDay too. Ah well. So you guys are still in a pickle. Nevertheless, notice that, as I pointed out in my "notes on tar" post, that tar tried to play Lal, Glirdan, and me off against each other, setting up that I would have to be guilty if Glirdan was innocent; however, her scheme backfired when I decided from all Glirdan's posts up until that Day that he had been too consistently against Lal to be a werewolf .... until he became suspicious in terms of the bait and switch. Circles and circles! Argh! Anyway, all this mental turmoil still comes down to the village wins toDay or toMorrow - - take your pick.

So if you want this village to survive with more than just two innocent villagers left, put your vote to

++ tar-ancalime

toDay, like I just did.

I shall come out from my undertaking duties periodically toDay to answer any questions you have to put to me. Otherwise, you can expect silence from me. May you do the right thing.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:04 PM   #356
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

A quick Quip Modest ere I sleep-

I think the undertaker is probably quite right, and I am likely quite wrong, considering my past record. However, for the sake of tradition, I intend to do my utmost to get him hanged.

It's a political statement, apart from anything else. A final, desperate outburst of levity. And then there's the fact that the village is guaranteed victory in any case, and it would be so much nicer if we could be saved by the guidance of someone other than the astute but frightfully self-important littlemanpoet...
Old 11-16-2005, 04:14 PM   #357
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
... it would be so much nicer if we could be saved by the guidance of someone other than the astute but frightfully self-important littlemanpoet...
Gobtwiddle, of course, my dear jester.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:22 PM   #358
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

LMP, why would the wolf go for me? His/her only chance is to find the cursed villager, and I can't be both hunter and cursed....anyway, I'm off to bed too, I'll talk more in the morning...
Old 11-16-2005, 07:47 PM   #359
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Just one problem: she voted to lynch the Hunter yesterDay. It may be that she did that before Lal revealed, though; if Lal had not, I would have voted for her lynching yesterDay too.
I don't understand why everyone takes Lalaith at her word that she's the Hunter.

She revealed herself yesterDAY with two votes already against her (no chance of cross-posting; plenty of time between those posts)--to me it looked like a desperate ploy to save herself from being lynched by "proving" herself innocent.

lmp, I'm curious as to why you in particular believe her--you said yourself (quoted above) that you were ready to vote for her, and that it was her admission that she's the Hunter that saved her from your keystrokes.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:20 PM   #360
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar-ancalime
I don't understand why everyone takes Lalaith at her word that she's the Hunter.
Interesting question. If the werewolf "revealed" as the Hunter, would the real Hunter stay quiet? If so, what's the result? The Hunter would knowingly let the village lynch the wrong person. Why would the Hunter choose to do that? The only reason I can think of is that the Hunter figures on picking the supposed werewolf during the Night, on the 1 in 5 chance that the werewolf will pick the real Hunter. The odds are too great, because if the werewolf kills somone else, the villagers still don't realize that the professed Hunter is the real werewolf, and the real Hunter is allowing the innocent villagers to lose. I don't think anybody playing this game is that stupid. If I'm wrong, then the supposed real Hunter deserves to lose. So Lalaith must be the Hunter, because nobody contested her claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
LMP, why would the wolf go for me? His/her only chance is to find the cursed villager, and I can't be both hunter and cursed.
I forgot about the cursed. Which the werewolf wouldn't do, by the way. Thanks for the chance at additional proof that we need to lynch tar.