The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-30-2005, 09:00 AM   #1841
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Folwren, I will be delighted if you do play. But may I ask that you make absolutely sure that your schedule does not mean that you could go missing for days on end. Otherwise it could influence the game quite considerably, particuarly if you are a gifted or a werewolf. I don't want to dissuade you from playing, but I just want you to be sure that you will have time to participate sufficiently.
I will do my utmost to not miss days on end. I'm still trying to figure it out. Regardless of what I can conjure up, I'm going to be missing whatever days take place on Saturdays and Sundays. I only have internet at work, you see.

Ah. There is a very great difficulty... I was thinking that if I were a regular ordinary villager then it might work, but if I were one of the gifted or a wolf, it wouldn't, because not only would I not have access on days, I would also not have access on nights.

I'm afraid I'll have to withdraw. Unless I can convince my dad to get internet at home, it's simply not doable. Saucepan Man's absolutely right. I wouldn't be able to participate sufficiently if I were anything other than an ordinary villager.

I'm sorry, everybody. I'm especially sorry on your account, Alcarillo. I really wanted to play this game with you as moderator. If I can possibly figure something out in order to play, I'll do it, believe me. But don't get your hopes up. Consider me out unless I suddenly hop back in.

-- Folwren
Old 11-30-2005, 10:27 AM   #1842
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
I only have internet at work, you see ...

Unless I can convince my dad to get internet at home, it's simply not doable.
Is your local library an option at weekends?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:10 AM   #1843
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally posted by the SpM:
Is your local library an option at weekends?
I don't live in town. . .besides that, I'd have to go to some huge trouble of getting parental permission, because they don't think I'm old enough to get internet by myself.

-- Folwren
Old 11-30-2005, 12:48 PM   #1844
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Holbytlass, I most definitely be male.

Definitely.

Most definitely.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:48 PM   #1845
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Formendacil, somehow, I wonder if we can totally believe all your definitely's when your Location says 'Dead. Very dead.'

-- Folwren
Old 11-30-2005, 02:25 PM   #1846
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Formendacil, somehow, I wonder if we can totally believe all your definitely's when your Location says 'Dead. Very dead.'

-- Folwren
I'm on the 'Downs, aren't I? But I agree, a Werewolf-related change is called for (though I do not know my role, as yet).
Old 12-01-2005, 01:13 AM   #1847
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Here's the females (everyone else is male)
Kath
Dancing spawn of ungoliant
Wilwarin538
Lhunardawen
Holbytlass
Are you sure? I mean, the word 'girl' in my occupation could be a diversion of some sort, as well as that -wen suffix in my name...
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:50 AM   #1848
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay, it's looking like I'll be able to make this work. Hopefully. As long as you all are willing to bear with me. If you are not, then say so, and I'll drop. I don't want to take any unfair advantage of you all because I won't be here some days to defend or talk for myself.

Here's how it would be, for me, if I played:

Night One, being December 3rd-December 4th - I would not participate.
Day One - I would be able to participate.
Night Two - I would be here.
Day Three - I would be here.
Night Four - I would be here.
Day Four - I would not be here.
Night Five- I would not be here
Day Five- I would be here. . .

And the pattern stays the same. I think that's how it would be.

Tell me what you think about my being able to participate well or not on that schedule.

-- Folwren
Old 12-01-2005, 02:26 PM   #1849
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Night One, being December 3rd-December 4th - I would not participate.
Day One - I would be able to participate.
Night Two - I would be here.
Day Three - I would be here.
Night Four - I would be here.
Day Four - I would not be here.
Night Five- I would not be here
Day Five- I would be here. . .
Where's Day Two and Night Three?

I'm perfectly willing to let you play; this kind of thing seems to me to be a moderator's choice. I'm just wondering if you're willing to take the chance of getting lynched when you're not around. I don't mean to be mean, but if I begin to think you are guilty, your absence will be the last thing on my mind.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #1850
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

lol. How unuterably embarrassing. I'd missed those that you just pointed out. . .let me try to go through this and rethink things again.

Night 1 - Dec. 3-4 - not there
Day 1 - Dec. 4-5 - is there
Night 2 - Dec. 5-6- is there
Day 2 - Dec. 6-7- is there
Night 3 - Dec. 7-8 - is there
Day 3 - Dec. 8-9 - not there
Night 4 - Dec. 9- 10 - not there
Day 4 - Dec. 10- 11 - not there

I think that does it.

Quote:
I don't mean to be mean, but if I begin to think you are guilty, your absence will be the last thing on my mind.
I know. I'm not going to ask for you all not to kill me because I'm absent. I was thinking (for some reason) that I wouldn't be there the first Day, but it turns out I'll only be missing that first night.

But my absense on those days that I'm going to be gone may be a handicap to people if I am a gifted person, and in turn, may also be a handicap to the wolves, if I'm a fellow wolf.

I have an hour left before I leave for home until Monday. Something ought to be resolved before then, I hope.

-- Folwren
Old 12-02-2005, 02:27 AM   #1851
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril Knock, knock.

Mister Moderator?
Old 12-02-2005, 09:07 PM   #1852
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
I'm here! And I will be sending out your roles right now. You should also be invisible at the moment.

I've also been PMing Folwren and she will play.

The game will start in 21 hours, so just add that to the time of this post and you'll get the time the first night will start.

Final notice on times: The game will start with a NIGHT phase on December 3, midnight GMT or 7 PM EST. Each DAY/NIGHT phase lasts a day.

Last edited by Alcarillo; 12-02-2005 at 09:52 PM.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:33 AM   #1853
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Wouldn't it be easier if the first NIGHT is right now. Since the wolves know who they are and don't have as much work to do the first NIGHT they don't really need as much time. Also this way the first DAY can be Sunday and students will have more time to post.

What do you think?
Old 12-03-2005, 01:20 PM   #1854
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Wait, now I see what you mean!

I could start the first DAY today, but that means I have some additional writing to finish. The wolves also might've hesitated till I started the NIGHT to speak with each other, so starting DAY today would give them little time for planning. I think I'll stick with the time I planned for.

Don't worry if you can't post much. You can post an excuse on this thread if you want, so the other players know what's going on.

PS If somebody can come up with a better name than Tol-in-Gaurhoth XIV: Saga-nu-Falmar, please please tell me!

Last edited by Alcarillo; 12-03-2005 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:22 PM   #1855
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcarillo
Wait, now I see what you mean!

I could start the first DAY today, but that means I have some additional writing to finish. The wolves also might've hesitated till I started the NIGHT to speak with each other, so starting DAY today would give them little time for planning. I think I'll stick with the time I planned for.

Don't worry if you can't post much. You can post an excuse on this thread if you want, so the other players know what's going on.

PS If somebody can come up with a better name than Tol-in-Gaurhoth XIV: Saga-nu-Falmar, please please tell me!
I, personally, would recommend NOT changing timing and all that, since people have been planning their lives, etc, based on the previous timing, and its pretty short notice to change.

Meanwhile, how about "Quenta-nu-Falmar". I've no idea exactly how correct that is in Quenya, but "Quenta" is used in the "saga" sort of context in the "Quenta Silmarillion".

Perhaps "Quenta Falmarrion" would work?

I don't know... Speak Quenya I do not.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:44 PM   #1856
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

How about: Tol-in-Gaurhoth XIV: Nyárë Nauroron Númenoreva? It means Saga of the Werewolves of Numenor. Ardalambion gives nyárë as a word for tale or saga, and is related to Sindarin narn. Nauroron, means "of werewolves", but sounds a bit strange to me. And Númenoreva is "of Numenor."

Overall I like the alliteration.

PS At the time I'm editing this, NIGHT 1 will start in 3 hours.

Last edited by Alcarillo; 12-03-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:12 PM   #1857
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

White Tree

NIGHT 1 has now begun! Please only post on this thread to notify us of absences. DAY 1 will start in 24 hours. The game is here: Tol-in-Gaurhoth XIV: Nyárë Nauroron Númenoreva

And I've also decided that the Hunter is not one of the Elendili, but is just an exceptionally strong hunter capable of killing werewolves. Just wait for my death in the morning for everything to be explained.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:12 PM   #1858
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Question concerning rules...

I notice that you stated that the werewolves win if the number of werewolves and the cobbler is greater than or equal to the number of villagers. I'm just wondering if this is an intentional change or if it's not just me overanalyzing.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:16 PM   #1859
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Overanalyzing.

I thought it was like that , but I'll change it to: werewolves win if there are as many werewolves as villagers, if that's how games are usually played.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:01 AM   #1860
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Thank you, but I should point out that, logistically, your way works. But I'll not get into that. Shutting up.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:39 AM   #1861
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
A problem

I found a nasty little surprise as I tried to get online this afternoon: our firewall broke and now I don't have an internet access. Currently I'm at my dad's office using his computer, and we'll repair the firewall as soon as possible, but it's Finland's independence day on Tuesday and it's quite impossible to get someone to fix it then.

I'll try to find a way to pop online by using a library's computer or something, but you'll see me much less than I had hoped for a couple of days. I assume that I'll get the access back later this week and I can participate more then if I'm still alive.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:13 PM   #1862
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Apologies

I just posted something to the game thread that I suddenly realised should be here --

RL commitments will prevent me from posting today after 2:00 PM EST (7:00 PM GMT) so I will have to cast my vote early. I won't be able to get back on the Internet until 10:00 PM EDT so I'll have to check then for the results of the first day's vote.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:19 PM   #1863
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Full disclosure

In the interest of the abovesaid, I wanted to acknowlege here that life HAS allowed me to return to the Downs before the deadline (just in case anyone has checked and/or noticed the "last activity" info) -- I may even post to the game thread before 7:00

I assure you all this was a quirk of scheduling in an increasingly hectic life, and not gamesmanship.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:22 PM   #1864
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sacuepan Man
One thing, though. Can everyone make sure to post their excuses for absence in this thread, rather than the game thread. The reason being that I regard anything said in the game thread as capable of being false (given the nature of the game), whereas everything posted here should be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim
I assure you all this was a quirk of scheduling in an increasingly hectic life, and not gamesmanship.
Understood and it is the law.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:52 AM   #1865
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I'm very sorry, my daughter busted her knee and had to be taken to Urgent Care for stitches last night. She's fine now, thrilled she gets to watch cartoons all day!
Old 12-08-2005, 12:21 PM   #1866
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Sorry for this, but I shall not be able to participate in the next DAY at all due to pressing real-life concerns of truly epic proportions.

I will be able to get on to the Internet briefly tonight (only 2-3 hours into the DAY) at which point I will put up an omnibus post in which I reflect on DAY TWO’s events and cast my vote for DAY THREE. I will have to write this post before the DAY actually begins so I probably won’t be able to take into account the NIGHT’s events.

Apologies to all. I will be able to return to the game by late Friday night.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:55 AM   #1867
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Formendacil to answer your question about the cobbler I decided to do it here. According to my understanding when the cobbler dies it is known to the village also the seer would see him/her in the dream.

Ah I am corrected here is the official rule on it.

Quote:
His job sucks so bad, he wants to die. The cobbler is on the werewolves team, but is not a werewolf! He doesnt know who the werewolves are, they dont know who he is. The game does not end in a situation where #(werewolves+ cobbler) >= #villagers. The cobbler looks like a villager to the seer. The cobbler is very interesting in that he actually doesnt mind being lynched in many cases, to protect a werewolf from dying. He can also create situations late in the game where he can form a voting block with the remaining werewolf and then block any lunchings from occurring. You can even have cases where the werewolf is trying to convince the cobbler that he is in fact a wolf, or that someone might fake being a cobbler to rat out who the wolf is, so they can then say they arent really a cobbler and lynch them!
Obviously, the cobbler is a strong addition to the werewolf team. I think its a great role for situations where having one more werewolf would be too strong, but without it the werewolves are screwed.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:18 AM   #1868
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

I know it's Night but since you've all decided to kill me anyway, and since I believe I owe you all an explanation....

YesterDay, which was chiefly Sunday where I am, I had to go to this church gathering far away from where I live, and I knew it would take me most of the day. I fully intended to be back later during the night to somehow catch the Day's events - although I probably couldn't have done much to help the village then - mainly because I knew I was at risk of being lynched.

Unfortunately, while we were still at the place where the church convergence was held, my mom and I ended up being hospitalized*. Yes, we were discharged from the hospital later during the night (around 8 PM), but we got home so late that it was impossible for me to check out and participate in the game. And it was also impossible for me to be online before the Day actually ends (which is at 8 AM here, today) because I had to wake up at 4 for a seven o'clock class...

I'm really very sorry for any inconveniences my absence caused. I assure you it was not any ploy that involves a werewolf. Then again, you already know who I am, er, was. And I'm sorry for failing the village, and Alcarillo.

*That was the short of it. In the highly unlikely event that you are interested in the details, I can entertain queries via PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:35 PM   #1869
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Lhuna, I hope that it was nothing too serious and that you are now feeling better.

OK, any volunteers to mod the next game? We're getting close to Christmas, but what do people think about starting a game now and perhaps taking a 2 day break in the middle over Christmas Day and Boxing Day?

If the next game doesn't start until after Christmas, I probably won't be able to play as we are moving house on 6 January and I'm not sure how long it will take me to get my internet connection up in the new place.

If we start before Christmas, then I am most definately on for another game.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:23 PM   #1870
mormegil
Maundering Mage

I would probably be up for another game though I am willing to give my spot up if needed so another can have it.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:34 PM   #1871
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

I'm up for another game. Hopefully, I won't get killed in the first two days like the last three games.

And a two day break would be great for me, also. I don't have any plans for the 25th, but I'm not sure I want to spend it reading through posts all day(as I'm sure I'd do).
Old 12-13-2005, 09:41 PM   #1872
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Shield

I have yet to prove my self as a good WW player.

I will of course be playing in the next one.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:53 PM   #1873
Formendacil
Dead Serious

I'm willing to play in the next game if numbers look low, but I'll hold off on modding one until January or February, when, if not having more time, I'll at least have my current time more conveniently.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:15 AM   #1874
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Well, if there's room for this inexperienced WW player, I'd like to give it a try. After reading some of the last werewolf game I'm wondering if I should start a game of Internet Risk with you guys! I can already picture some good arguments trying to.... ok, I'm going way off topic, but the point is

Count me in for the next WW game
Farael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:44 AM   #1875
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Hopefully there will be no more sudden trips to any hospital ER this time.

Please count me in, if you will.

By the way, thanks everyone! I'm feeling much, much better now...except for the fact that the werewolves won. Grrr...
Old 12-14-2005, 03:54 AM   #1876
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'd like to try my hand at modding my Villagers Strike Back.

If possible, I'd like to obtain a back-up...just in case.

As for rules:

I'll take 15-20 players on board.

The game will be set in Tol-in-Gaurhoth itself. Three intrepid villagers, disguised by Elvish magic, prepare to strike into the heart of their hated enemies the wolves...

3 Heroes
Sauron, the Seer
Draugluin, the Guardian
Carcharoth, the Hunter
Huan, the Cobbler
8-13 Werewolves

Non-retractable votes. Double lynchings, but, using the Spawn method, if it goes beyond that two canditates will be randomly chosen out of the three or more.

As the villagers are all posing as werewolves, your roles should be lupine-Old Grey Wolf, or Irritating Runt, for example.

I will be an Injured but Large Wolf.

Players on board so far:

Lhunardawen
Farael
Formendacil
Rune Son Of Bjarne
mormegil
Saucepanman, the (Big Bad Wolf)

Cailin (my sidekick)

Last edited by Anguirel; 12-14-2005 at 05:46 AM.
Anguirel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:55 AM   #1877
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I could be tempted to play again and even possibly mod a game - though I was planning on doing something different and I’m still working out the details (besides - most players seem to prefer basic games anyway and I was way down on the mod-in-waiting list). With Christmas Break coming up, I should have enough time to participate, in theory.

Um, yeah, I’ll think about it. -continues muttering vaguely-

Edit: Cross-posting again. Just sign me up as a player then.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:59 AM   #1878
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Actually, Cailin, if you eased my mind and became my back-up, I would praise you with great praises. Would you be on for that? You'd get insight into the inner workings of the game even if you didn't get to take control.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:24 AM   #1879
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Actually, yes, I think I would be.

It would be great to get some modding experience without the terrible burden of actually being the mod and I'd be honoured to help you out. Especially if there are great praises involved.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:37 AM   #1880
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Perfect!

Well, I'll be back this time tomorrow, and hope to see a merry band of wolves ready to receive their roles...