The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-01-2006, 10:03 PM   #1561
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
H -- 'aitch', please
Old 03-02-2006, 02:40 AM   #1562
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
HNRST

"H-/ -s/ -----n-/, -/ --/ -------/. S--/ --t-r/ ---/ th-s-/ --nt-r--s/ t-/ s--/ -/ --n/ ---n-/ ---/ h-s/ -----/; --t/ -----/ --r/ ---/, --rh--s/."
Old 03-04-2006, 08:14 AM   #1563
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
E, please.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:36 PM   #1564
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

HNRST E

"He/ -s/ -----n-/, -/ --/ -e--e-e/. S--/ --ter/ ---/ these/ -ent-r-es/ t-/ see/ -/ --n/ ---n-/ ---/ h-s/ -----/; --t/ -----/ --r/ ---/, -erh--s/."
Old 03-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #1565
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I'm puzzling over this quote, pretty sure I recognize a couple of words, but not yet finding them in the stories I've paged through. Perhaps a C will help me to see...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 03-04-2006, 02:39 PM   #1566
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

HNRSTE C

"He/ -s/ -----n-/, -/ --/ -e--e-e/. S--/ --ter/ ---/ these/ cent-r-es/ t-/ see/ -/ --n/ ---n-/ ---/ h-s/ ----c/; --t/ --c--/ --r/ ---/, -erh--s/."
Old 03-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #1567
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

P P-p-please... (I've been searching in Roverandom too long; stuttering with him over Psamathos, perhaps?!)
Old 03-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #1568
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

HNRSTEC P (sorry, only two P's )

"He/ -s/ -----n-/, -/ --/ -e--e-e/. S--/ --ter/ ---/ these/ cent-r-es/ t-/ see/ -/ --n/ ---n-/ ---/ h-s/ ----c/; --t/ --c--/ --r/ ---/, perh-ps/."
Old 03-05-2006, 10:02 AM   #1569
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Ah, I was looking in the right story, just not thoroughly enough at first! Now I found it:
Quote:
He is failing, I do believe. Sad after all these centuries to see a man going off his magic; but lucky for you, perhaps.
The Man-in-the-Moon, speaking of Artaxerxes to Roverandom.

I had recognized "centuries" a couple of posts ago, and knew it couldn't be found in too many minor works, but finding it took time!
Old 03-07-2006, 09:10 AM   #1570
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Yes, that's it, Esty! Well done to find it with so few clues.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:47 AM   #1571
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Washing day!

:
Quote:
Old 03-09-2006, 01:26 PM   #1572
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

but not Goldberry's washing day, I guess.

A please
Old 03-09-2006, 02:03 PM   #1573
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

A

That remains to be seen!

-- ------ -- ---a- ----- --- a ----- --a----.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:18 AM   #1574
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Let's continue with some T
Old 03-10-2006, 04:03 AM   #1575
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

T-time!

-t ------ -- ---a- ----- --t a ---t- --a---t.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:20 AM   #1576
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
"i"s?
Old 03-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #1577
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I-spy

It ------ -- ---a- -i--- --t a -i-t- --a---t.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #1578
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

how about S ?
Old 03-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #1579
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

S - but we has only one, preciousss

It s----- -- ---a- -i--- --t a -i-t- --a---t.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:05 PM   #1580
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

"It should be clean linen, not a dirty blanket."

Totta to Tidwald about the cloth they use to cover Beorhtnoth's body . (I have recently reread the whole poem... )
Old 03-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #1581
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well washed, Guinevere! That poem is full of interesting lines, isn't it?! Your turn...
Old 03-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #1582
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

your hint about "washing day" helped me recognize the word "dirty".

"--------," (.......) "-/ ---'-/ --------/ ----/ -/ ----/, ---/ ------/ --/ ---/ ---/ ------/ ------/."
Old 03-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #1583
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

R, please
Old 03-14-2006, 08:04 AM   #1584
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

"--------," (.......) "-/ ---'-/ r------r/ ----/ -/ ----/, ---/ ------/ --/ ---/ ---/ ---r--/ ------/."
Old 03-14-2006, 08:14 AM   #1585
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
"o"s, please.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:33 AM   #1586
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

"-o------," (.......) "-/ -o-'-/ r------r/ ----/ -/ ----/, ---/ ------/ --/ ---/ -o-/ ---r--/ --o---/."
Old 03-14-2006, 09:30 AM   #1587
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Ls?
Old 03-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #1588
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Sorry, only one L

"-o------," (.......) "-/ -o-'-/ r------r/ ----/ -/ ----/, ---/ ------/ --/ ---/ -o-/ ---rl-/ --o---/."
Old 03-14-2006, 11:12 PM   #1589
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

OK, since my other guesses weren't very helpful, it's T-time again!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:32 AM   #1590
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

"-o------," (.......) "-/ -o-'t/ r------r/ ---t/ -/ ----/, --t/ ------/ -t/ ---/ -ot/ ---rl-/ --o---/."

(my goodness, you were very early this morning! )
Old 03-15-2006, 10:31 AM   #1591
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Early to bed and early to rise... (Another proverb for you!) It doesn't happen often, but occasionally.

It's starting to look more like words, but not enough for me yet. S, Please?
Old 03-15-2006, 02:14 PM   #1592
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

"-o-s--s-," (.......) "-/ -o-'t/ r------r/ ---t/ -/ s---/, --t/ ------/ -t/ --s/ -ot/ ---rl-/ --o---/."
Old 03-16-2006, 04:26 AM   #1593
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

...still not clear - A, please.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:15 AM   #1594
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
"n"s, please.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #1595
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

"Nons-ns-," (.......) "-/ -on't/ r------r/ --at/ -/ sa--/, --t/ an--a-/ -t/ -as/ not/ n-arl-/ -no---/."
Old 03-16-2006, 02:57 PM   #1596
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
'Nonsense,' said Niggle. 'I don't remember what I said, but anyway it was not nearly enough.'
The start of a beautiful friendship with Parish - after a not so good start in life.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:40 PM   #1597
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up

Exactly!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:56 PM   #1598
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Here's a new quote:
Quote:
--- -- ---'-- ------- -- ---- - ----, -'-- ----- --- ---- -- ---.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:52 PM   #1599
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Are there any O's ?
Old 03-17-2006, 02:46 PM   #1600
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

O yes!

-o- -- -o-'-- ------- -o ---- - ----, -'-- ----- -o- -o-- -o ---.