The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2006, 11:33 AM   #121
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Oh! Don't go making threats Oddwen I remember why I got confused now. You had made a suggestion just before Gurthang, and I combined the two.
No offence meant, mah dear.

Quote:
Can the Sphinx ask wolves riddles too? So if a wolf was asked and couldn't answer the village would be one werewolf (or whatever you plan to call them) down?
I'd think so - the Sphinx is another WereBear-type role, it's not on the Wolves' team and it wins if it survives to the end. The Hunter can kill it, the Ranger can't protect from it.

I don't know if riddles are the best way to go though - it depends on the riddle-knowledge of the asker, and on if the askee would Google the answer. Though anyone who would cheat at the most ancient game of Riddles is a sneak and is probably under some sort of evil influence.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:42 PM   #122
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril New Role

I had an idea for a new bad guy role:

The Basilisk

Quote:
The name basilisk comes from the Greek basileus, which means king. The basilisk was the King of the snakes and the most poisonous creature on earth. His appearance has always been a matter of dispute since there is no way to see a basilisk and survive. Looking at it, according to legend, brings death.
When the Seer dreams of the Basilisk, the Seer automatically dies. The Basilisk I think would work best as a member of the wolf team, rather than as an independent, because s/he can't really kill any other player at night. It could be implemented as a wild card in a more traditional game setup. What do you think?

--

I also have been thinking more about my Lovers game, and I was thinking of doing it this way:

Allow each team one kill per night. The number of kills therefore dwindles as teams are killed.

For Gifteds, use two independent Rangers. (That is, they don't know who each other are and cannot PM). One Ranger should have the dual ability of dreaming as a Seer, but the other will be merely a Ranger. I don't have ideas for names, but I'd like to call the Seer/Ranger something a little more imaginative.

Basically, I want the two Rangers to balance out the high death rate at the beginning, and I like the Seer/Ranger idea, but I want one traditional Ranger who can possibly protect one of the Weres or Lovers inadvertently.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:27 PM   #123
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
SeeRanger?
Half-Elven?
Istari?
Wizard?

*LMP shrugs*
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:16 PM   #124
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
So the Basilisk would be sort of a cobbler, only reversed as far as the Seer is concerned. I mean instead of coming up as an innocent, he comes up as YOU ARE DEAD.

I'm not sure about all these new bad guy types. From the stats, the good guys have enough trouble as it is... and all we can think of are new ways to kill them.

Hmm... maybe I'll be able to think of something new for the good team.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:20 PM   #125
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Wizard Werewolf scenario that I dream of with a certain amount of wistfulness:

Kuru and Boromir submodding LMP's game again with Fea and the phantom as good and evil wizard, respectively. I can't help but think that that situation would either be very short-lived or extremely fun.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:56 AM   #126
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
SeeRanger?
Heh, this makes me think "Sea Ranger."

Quote:
Half-Elven?
I'll probably be going with the mixed-races village again, since I like the goofiness, so that kind of makes the elveness less special.

Quote:
Istari?
Wizard?
Well I can't use Istari or Wizard because you have forever defined werewolvian Wizardry on this board.

The Skittles in me wants to name it Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger but technially I think it would have to be a Ranger/Hunter combo for that to really make sense.

Quote:
So the Basilisk would be sort of a cobbler, only reversed as far as the Seer is concerned. I mean instead of coming up as an innocent, he comes up as YOU ARE DEAD.
Yeah, that's a good way to describe it. Mainly, while at work the random thought popped into my head, "Basilisks are cool, I should figure out a werewolf role that fits that name."

Quote:
I'm not sure about all these new bad guy types. From the stats, the good guys have enough trouble as it is... and all we can think of are new ways to kill them.
Yes, disturbing, isn't it? Though don't I get points for my Suped Up Ranger idea? Hmmm... ah ha! Pimped Out Ranger.

Nah.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:18 AM   #127
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Kuru and Boromir submodding LMP's game again with Fea and the phantom as good and evil wizard, respectively. I can't help but think that that situation would either be very short-lived or extremely fun.
Heh heh. The outcome would depend on when you decided to scry me. Early- you win. Late- I win. Cause you know I wouldn't be suspected enough during the day to attract a lynch mob, no matter what happened. Finding me as the EW would be completely on the GW's shoulders.

You, I wouldn't have to find. You'd reveal sooner or later, and then I'd have all kinds of fun getting inside your head and figuring out who you made into a gifted.

Fea, if you're ever the GW in one of these games, and right after you reveal yourself your gifteds suddenly drop dead, you'd better scry me m'dear, cause it's probably my doing.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:49 PM   #128
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

I've thought about having something sort of like a Healer. And the Healer could resurrect dead players.

Of course to have the healer do this on a daily basis would be extremely long and prolonged, so perhaps the amount of "energy" and power needed it takes the healer an extreme amount and can only resurrect a deceased player every 3 days? Any dead player, whether be lynched wolf or innocent, or killed by wolves...etc. Any dead player of their choosing to resurrect and that player will enter back into the game as an ordinary.

This was slightly inspired by my recent dream where after I was lynched I came back posting that I was a ghost. Just kind of something I recently thought of and might sound a bit whacky.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #129
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
I've thought about having something sort of like a Healer. And the Healer could resurrect dead players.

Of course to have the healer do this on a daily basis would be extremely long and prolonged, so perhaps the amount of "energy" and power needed it takes the healer an extreme amount and can only resurrect a deceased player every 3 days? Any dead player, whether be lynched wolf or innocent, or killed by wolves...etc. Any dead player of their choosing to resurrect and that player will enter back into the game as an ordinary.

This was slightly inspired by my recent dream where after I was lynched I came back posting that I was a ghost. Just kind of something I recently thought of and might sound a bit whacky.
Or you could up the Wolf kills per night...

I think a game with a Healer, though, would be best advised to NOT reveal the roles upon death- thus making the choices of the Healer more peril-fraught and interesting. Will you cure a Gifted? Cure an Innocent? Resurrect a Wolf even?
Old 06-01-2006, 03:05 PM   #130
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

I think I have a name for my super Ranger. It's quite simple, really.... Watcher. This is what the Hobbits called the Rangers, so it's just another term for Ranger, but kind of implies the "sight" of a Seer through "watching."
Old 06-02-2006, 07:20 PM   #131
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18
I think I have a name for my super Ranger. It's quite simple, really.... Watcher. This is what the Hobbits called the Rangers, so it's just another term for Ranger, but kind of implies the "sight" of a Seer through "watching."
Oooh... I like that. Will that be resereved just for your Quadruple Lover's game, or could somebody else use that sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88

Well that sounds like fun to me, although I can see a loop-hole already. If you bring back anyone as an ordinary, it might make for a short-lived game. You see, whenever the first wolf dies, the Healer revives them as an ordinary, and they know who the other wolves were and are.

Although, that could make an interesting addition to a Dueling Wizards Game as a fourth gifted. And that would automatically iron out the problem with the game's length, since the wolves can get multiple kills per night as Formendacil mentioned. And any wolf brought back by the Healer wouldn't know any wolves unless the Evil Wizard had named names. That would be really interesting.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:14 PM   #132
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
Oooh... I like that. Will that be resereved just for your Quadruple Lover's game, or could somebody else use that sometime.
It's not reserved. I will be using it, but anyone else is free to break it in before that time.

Same goes for the Basilisk, especially since it won't actually be in my Lovers game. There are enough ways to die in that one already, methinks!
Old 06-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #133
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18
I like the Seer/Ranger idea, but I want one traditional Ranger who can possibly protect one of the Weres or Lovers inadvertently.
How about Clairvoyant Ranger or something like that? PalantiRanger? ah phooey
Old 06-06-2006, 04:57 AM   #134
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Or maybe Jedi?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:32 AM   #135
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I've just thought of a simple yet ingenious role (I think).

The Barrator (that means a politician who gives and takes bribes)

The influential Barrator's vote secretly counts as two votes. This means he must vote with care...

EDIT: This role could also be called The Lawyer...
Old 06-06-2006, 05:35 AM   #136
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
I've just thought of a simple yet ingenious role (I think).

The Barrator (that means a politician who gives and takes bribes)

The influential Barrator's vote secretly counts as two votes. This means he must vote with care...

EDIT: This role could also be called The Lawyer...
That could be very interesting... And that'd surely make the villagers paranoid!
Old 06-06-2006, 06:39 AM   #137
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Alas, the lad is mad!

I present

Tol-in-Canterbury-Werewolf as Chaucer might have modded it

The Knight-combines roles of Ranger and Hunter

The Squire-Werewolf

The Yeoman-Another Hunter

The Prioress-False Seer

A Second Nun-Ordinary Pilgrim

The Nun's Priest-Ordinary Pilgrim

The Monk-Yet Another Hunter

The Friar-Werewolf

The Merchant-Ordinary Pilgrim

The Clerk-Ordinary Pilgrim

The Sergeant of Law-Lawyer

The Franklin-Seer

The Haberdasher-Ordinary Pilgrim

The Carpenter-Cobbler, naturally (see Plato)

The Weaver, the Dyer, the Tapestry Weaver-Ordinary Pilgrims

The Cook-Poisoner

The Shipman-Ordinary Pilgrim

The Doctor of Physic-Healer

The Wife of Bath-Goose

The Parson-Werewolf

The Plowman-Ordinary Pilgrim

The Miller and Reeve-Shiriffs

The Manciple-Eeeeevil Wizard

The Summoner-Basilisk

The Pardoner-Thief

The Host-Good Wizard

Canon and Yeoman-Ordinary Pilgrims

Chaucer-mod
Old 06-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #138
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Anguirel, are you just having serendipitous fun, or are you serious? If so, care to explain how some of these might work? Nah. can't be for real. not with dueling wizards. Sheer chaos!

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 06-06-2006 at 01:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-06-2006, 02:12 PM   #139
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Aye, but Chaucer is sheer chaos. That's his charm...
Old 06-06-2006, 06:59 PM   #140
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okey, here's my idea. A back to the basics game, with a new twist.

Tol-in-Barrow, Werewolves on the 'Downs.

As picking roles go, everyone must pick a Barrow-Downer of his or her choice, and can play as the Downer they pick would, if they're up to it. Perhaps they should even be known in the game as that Downer, to add to the confusion. I just know I could have all sorts of fun with this... Ah, identity crises.

And we go back to some of the earlier gifteds, and each will have their Downs mod equivalent:

Seer = The Barrow-Wight (Omnipotence and omniscience himself.)
Ranger = Legolas (Well, he has to have a bow...)
Hunter = Mister Underhill (It's the Eastwood look.)
Cobbler = Rimbaud (He seems like the shady type.)

Sorry to all the mods I left out. And egads, it seems like I'm being sexist, doesn't it?

If anyone likes this idea, I claim it. I've had the urge to sign up to run a game ever since I got back into Werewolfing with the current game...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:30 AM   #141
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

So you'd post as yourself under your own moniker, and put in the title Rimbaud or something? Not clear on what you mean....
Old 06-07-2006, 07:36 AM   #142
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I think she means we have to try and post in the style of our chosen Downer. If so, it certainly sounds intriguing!
Old 06-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #143
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Gifted roles would just be known by the Downer name rather than their traditional one. In other words, when someone accuses someone of being the Cobbler, they accuse them of being 'Rimbaud.'

And yes, you would choose another Barrow-Downer in place of what is sometimes known as your 'occupation,' and try to play and post as he/she would. And you would be known as that Barrow-Downer throughout the game.

So if I picked lmp, then I would try and post as he would and play the game as he would. Also, everyone would refer to me as lmp. At least, as long as they thought I was really who I said I was, and innocent.

Perhaps when someome suspects you of being a wolf, they should say that you are not 'insert chosen Barrow-Downer occupation here,' you're 'insert your Barrow-Downs screenname here.' Because you are obviously not who you say you are.

In other words, if I chose lmp as my role and someone accused me of being a wolf, they would say I was acting rather 'Durelinish.'

Okay, so basically my ideas serve only one purpose: trying to make things more confusing.

Last edited by Durelin; 06-07-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #144
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Aye, but Chaucer is sheer chaos. That's his charm...

I think the wife of Bath should be a werewolf.. she is rather carnivorous....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:32 PM   #145
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I like Durelin's idea.

The Barrow-Wight didn't give us a go for a game where we all would have used unknown identities, but this could be fun. The mod should perhaps supervise the "roles" so that we wouldn't have 10 Lhunas' or Diamonds' in the game at the same time.

Sounds very good - and I'm applying to that game immediately (I'd love to play Valier! ).
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:53 PM   #146
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie

Sounds very good - and I'm applying to that game immediately (I'd love to play Valier! ).
Oh you would now....You bugger! If this game ever happens I absolutely must play You dear Nogrod. A sample of you perhaps...

I'm Nogrod...Blah, blah, blah....Ra, ra, ra, .....(insert good point here) I'm innocent I swear....Blah, blah, blah...Ra, ra, ra, ...Trust me...Blah, blah, blah

Sound familiar? LOL

All in good fun!!
Old 06-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #147
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier
I'm Nogrod...Blah, blah, blah....Ra, ra, ra, .....(insert good point here) I'm innocent I swear....Blah, blah, blah...Ra, ra, ra, ...Trust me...Blah, blah, blah
Sound familiar? LOL

All in good fun!!
Surely!

But methinks all so puzzzzling theese Days. Must think firrst. Back later...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:29 PM   #148
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

You guys crack me up.

Lommy -- maybe Yoga?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #149
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

'Ey! Wassup! Wha' happened to DAffy?
Old 06-07-2006, 09:25 PM   #150
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sure you're in the right thread, LMP? (Don't want to anger the OT Skerwlz, you know.)
Old 06-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #151
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
The Barrow-Wight didn't give us a go for a game where we all would have used unknown identities, but this could be fun. The mod should perhaps supervise the "roles" so that we wouldn't have 10 Lhunas' or Diamonds' in the game at the same time.
Well, I imagine the mod could just have everyone PM their chosen roles to him/her (hopefully me, heh), and then any difficulties could be worked out through PM, everyone's final role only known at the start of the game (though of course each person would know they're role - they chose it).

And yes, permission must be granted.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #152
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I'd be highly amused to play either Nilp or the phantom... Most especially Nilp. Though I could have great fun with a legendary LMP rant.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:36 PM   #153
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
I'd be highly amused to play either Nilp or the phantom... Most especially Nilp. Though I could have great fun with a legendary LMP rant.
Hey! I remember that. That was my first game, too. And then somebody decided to make up the [rant][/rant] tags. Fun stuff.

Fea would be fun to play, but really hard. I'd personally try being Naria, because it'd be a challenge for me to keep my mouth shut.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:50 AM   #154
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

I thought of a new gifted last night and I wanted to know what others thought of it and if there is any problems with it. ok I think I may call it the Weaver, but that also is up for review. Ok there would be no Hunter in this game, only a Seer and a Ranger. The Weaver sees connections between people. The weaver will pm two peoples names to the mod, then they will be able to see the connection they have to each other. EX: if they are on the same team ie: wolves, Ordos, or gifted they will be told there is a connection between them, but they will not be told how and if the two people the Weaver picks are odd ie: wolf/Ordo, wolf/gifted Ordo/Gifted or any other combo they will be told there is no connection. Will this tip it too much towards the gifted side or do you think it will be fine? Oh I also call first dibs for this role, but if others like it they can use it after me. What do you guys think?
Old 06-23-2006, 03:12 PM   #155
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

That's very interesting... Probably would want that to replace one of the other Gifted roles, possibly the Seer's just to make things more interesting. Having both a Seer and a Weaver might be a bit much... Though I guess a way to fix that is to just throw in another wolf...
Old 06-23-2006, 03:16 PM   #156
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
The other way I could see doing it would be just giving them the knowledge of "same side" or "different side", depending on how powerful you want them to be... but this isn't quite as much fun.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:34 PM   #157
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

I think I would replace the Hunter for the Weaver and have at least four wolves (or WereCats ) would that work to even the sides out? Also I thought by the Weaver being told that there is a connection or there isn't it would still leave it fairly vague so they would not know exactly whose team the two are on. So if they are told there is a connection they could assume that either the two are both wolves, both Ordos or both gifted. If there is no connection then it tells them that the two are not on the same "team". I would be counting the gifted as a team even though they work for the village.... hope this makes more sense? Also should all three gifted (Seer Weaver Ranger) be able to talk to each other during the Day? I suppose they could but then it gives them an advantage of being able to coerce plans as to who to dream and Weave? of. Would this be too much of an advantage? Should the Wolves be able to chat at night?
Old 06-25-2006, 09:30 AM   #158
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I think giving the seer and the weaver the right to chat with each other is too big an advantage for them. With only one known wolf it would be disastrous for the evil team, because basically the good team would have two seers...

A question: the weaver can't dream about dead people, right?
Old 06-25-2006, 10:02 AM   #159
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

I never thought of that Lommy....No I don't think they should talk with the dead. They can however Weave a person that is alive, more than once. And I will have no talk between gifted in this game, I think.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:29 PM   #160
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier
I never thought of that Lommy....No I don't think they should talk with the dead. They can however Weave a person that is alive, more than once. And I will have no talk between gifted in this game, I think.
Actually, Spawn and I were dual seers in a recent game and we were allowed to chat at night. It worked out pretty well because there was no ranger to protect us. That was the first game with the Lovers, so there was that extra variable. Hard to say whether the Lovers made it easier, or harder, for the werewolves versus 2 seers. Any thoughts on that?