The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-11-2005, 11:30 AM   #1161
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Poor old Pip, looks like he's off today no matter what!

++HAMA

Is my vote though. To try and get people into doing this tomorrow. I'm not sure how the guy made it this far, especially with some of the competition he had! I mean, what did he really do? So he made Aragorn put down his sword - oh, wait no that was actually Gandalf. Well that's his claim to fame gone - imposter! Throw him off the island in disgrace!
Old 10-11-2005, 12:09 PM   #1162
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
I'm not sure how the guy made it this far, especially with some of the competition he had! I mean, what did he really do?
Question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
I mean, what did he really do?
Answer!

Really, I've come round to Saucie's view on this. (Shock horror!) Sardonic but true...
Old 10-11-2005, 12:36 PM   #1163
WaynetheGoblin
Shade of Carn Dûm

WaynetheGoblin has just left Hobbiton.
--pipin
++hama
Old 10-11-2005, 03:24 PM   #1164
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Pippin- 7
Hama- 4
Gimli- 3

I think it's safe to say that Merry has secured a spot in the final, with very little time left in voting, I'd say Gimli's a lock too.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:25 PM   #1165
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Anguirel I'm sorry but I truly don't understand your last post. I've been puzzling over it and just can't work out what it is you are saying! Help?
Old 10-11-2005, 03:36 PM   #1166
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White Tree

With that, Pippin takes a most graceful exit (after a few pints) and went straight to the inn on the boat.

With that, we have reached the finale! What we all (or atleast I have) been waiting for what started out with this long list:
Quote:
Hobbits:
Frodo
Sam
Merry
Pippin
Bilbo
Lobelia Sackville-Baggins
Lotho Sackville-Baggins
Gollum

Men and Rohan Lady:
Aragorn
Boromir
Denethor
Faramir
Theoden
Eomer
Eowyn
Grima
Hama

Wizards:
Gandalf
Saruman
Radagast
Alatar
Pallando

Elves:
Elrond
Arwen
Glorfindel
Galadriel
Celeborn
Legolas
Haldir
Thranduil
Cirdan

Dwarves:
Gimli
Gloin

Others:
Treebeard
Quickbeam
Tom Bombadil
Goldberry

Badguys:
Sauron
Witch-King
Gothmog
Ugluk
Grishnakh
Has now turned into:

Dwarf- Gimli
Hobbit- Merry
Man- Hama

Here is a reminder on how this will go...

Quote:
1) You vote for the person you WANT to win.

2) Votes will be irretractable. By this time you should know who you want to win. If you decide to take back your vote, NEITHER of your votes will count.

3) I will not vote unless we have a tie. This I think benefits in a few ways. First, take my word for it (I'm asking you to trust Boromir of all people ) that if there is a tie, and I have to decide it will be unbiased.

In the event of a tie, is the only time that I CAN vote. The way I'll judge is creativity and it's got to be atleast related to LOTR in some way of the arguments you give for your person and against the others (I'll give some examples). So, my decision will be based on how convincing you make your arguments for why the person you voted for should win, and why the other two should lose.

This also, I think makes sure I just don't get a bunch of votes in here, and that we get the true thread quality at the end. This way, JUST in case if there is a tie, the decision will be up to me, on how well you have argued for your person.

For kind of what I'm looking for in the arguments at the end, here's the way to do it, and the way not to do it. As I said, I'll be looking for creativity and whether it's related to LOTR in any way.

For example, I'll use Gil, I fail to see how stealing his pies is LOTR related. Though it may be creative, unless he can convince me what stealing his pies has anything to do with LOTR, I'll have to say that this would not be a good argument.

For a good example...funny I'll use Gil again. When voting for Elrond he said..."Yeah, I'm dead because of him, that jerk." I found this extremely funny, and it does relate to LOTR...Gil-galad...dead because of Elrond.

Also, I found Formendacil's Eomer the Uruk, Galadriel the Balrog, Quickbeam the troll, quite hilarious as they're basically polar opposites. Though Formendacil, I'll say I think Glorfindel would be a better balrog candidate then Galadriel.
So, remember, be convincing, choose wisely, and DONT take back your vote. Good luck to the best-of-the-best at LOTR Survivor.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:43 PM   #1167
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Wow!!!! This is going to be tough. At least one of my favorites is in there, but hey all deserve to win in some way. I'm going to have to think about this and get back to you on my vote......
Old 10-11-2005, 03:49 PM   #1168
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Anguirel I'm sorry but I truly don't understand your last post
The poor man is crazed by grief and disappointment. I hope you're all proud of yourselves.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:58 PM   #1169
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
When all others fled the battlefield and withdrew into the caves this guy stood firm at the hornburg. HE contfronted the Uruk-hai at the gate almost single-handedly. He was the best warrior in the entire land of Rohan, and gave his life for his country, yet not even Mandos could keep him, and he is back. Therfore he deserves the title of the ulitmate Lord of the Rings survivor.
++HAma

Last edited by arcticstorm; 10-11-2005 at 03:59 PM. Reason: forgot to post my vote
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:11 PM   #1170
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
The poor man is crazed by grief and disappointment. I hope you're all proud of yourselves.
How frightfully splendid.

Hama is the underdog and nobody saw him making it this far, but WE DID IT BABY!!! The underdog winning the competition makes everybody feel good, except for the loosers but this is about the audience. Plus Hama has a wife and family that could live a long time on the weath acquired from winning this money. Whereas Gimli is a dwarf and has no such need for money and Merry lives in the shire where bringing in such money from foreign parts will be looked down upon with contempt and suspicion. Plus after such a ravaging war on Rohan their economy could use the little boost.

++HAMA
Old 10-11-2005, 04:11 PM   #1171
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Shield

aye support the door-ward of Medusel.

As said he was fighting most heroic at Hornburg, to be buried in a separate mound was too little a praise. Give him this one too.

Plus he has the same name as the younger son of Helm Hammerhand ! (that is reason enough to vote for him)

++Háma

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:37 PM   #1172
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
++Merry

My favorite little Hobbit mad it this far, let's see if his friendship and trusting personality can see him through to the end. He's such a brave little Hobbit, and now that I think about it, he did get very little praise for wounding the Witch-King. He deserves this great honour to show his valour.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:43 PM   #1173
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
lets see....Hama is dead so hes a creep, Gimli is hitting on elf-women, so that leaves Merriadoc Brandybuck, even though he stole my MUSHROOM Pie, i can forgive him that little rascal, after all he did do alot and went bravely into battle at Pelenoor fields...hes a fiesty one
Old 10-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #1174
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
I should like to submit that Hama is one of the true heroes of Middle-Earth.

There has been great discussion among those learned scholars who frequent the CbC discussions (no relation of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) that the experience given Aragorn upon the doorstep of Meduseld was instrumental in teaching him the proper humility when dealing with rules and regulations. I should like to submit that it was Hama, whose impeccable loyalty to Theoden is beyond doubt, who is responsible for that incident. Would Gandalf have had his companions disarm had Hama not required it? Of course not...

Further examination of this incident will show that Hama DEFEATED Aragorn. That's right, folks, our humble doorwarden prevailed over the Heir of Isildur. Doesn't that tell you things about him?

The only remaining event chronicled in the Lord of the Rings concerning Hama is that he fell at Helm's Deep. "He fell before the Gate" says the book. Many take that as a sign that Hama's contribution was insignificant, not worth recording in the Red Book. But I submit to you that the Red Book was written by the Hobbits, none of whom were present at Helm's Deep, and had never met him or had any reason to care for him (they were, after all, buddies of the defeated Aragorn).

Although no evidence from the Lord of the Rings can be shown to directly prove Hama's very important contribution to the battle, I believe that the honour of his resting place ought to show something to this effect:

Quote:
In a grave alone under the shadow of the Hornburg lay Hama, captain of the King's Guard.
Why did Hama alone have a private grave? Surely other captains of Rohan fell in the battle. I submit to you my thesis that it was extremely great valour in the battle, which must have played an important part in the survival of king and country.

And so, I present my vote:

++Hama
Old 10-11-2005, 06:07 PM   #1175
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
White Tree

I will vote for:

++Merry

Cause he's so cute.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:24 AM   #1176
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Cute he may be, but has he been supplying the tribes with firewood?

Has he been cunningly preventing fratricidal Elf/Dwarf war?

Is he a noted diamond smuggler?

I think not. Ladies and gentlemen, take this chance to show your taste and quality. Vote for the only candidate remaining with a cogent personality. He may be short, but he's hardy and loyal; he keeps a mind to practicalities like food, shelter, and rest; truly

++GIMLI SON OF GLOIN, LORD OF AGLAROND

has shown himself worthy to be...the Survivor!

(All Elf-lovers should support Gimli too-he's the closest thing to an Elf left, which is quite sad really...)
Old 10-12-2005, 04:26 AM   #1177
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Hama is pointless. He couldn't even do his job when he was doorwarden - Gandalf got his staff inside, didn't he?

I like Merry, but I won't vote for a cute character. Cuteness is highly overrated.

So that leaves

++GIMLI, SON OF GLOIN.

As Anguirel has said, he is loyal, practical and the hardest working contestant remaining. And, he is a brilliant diplomat and visionary who forged friendship between Elves and Dwarves after millenia long conflict. As such, he deserves to win.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:05 AM   #1178
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

Votes so far are...

Hama- 4
Gimli- 2
Merry- 2
Old 10-12-2005, 05:33 AM   #1179
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
++Merry

This is one character who deserves some recognition. He's one of those people without whom nothing would go right, yet people seem intent on forgetting him anyway!

He is the one who organized the conspiracy to make sure Frodo didn't do something stupid. He's the one who knew about the Old Forest and the path inside. If not for him, the hobbits and Strider would not have been alerted to the presence of the Black Riders in Bree.

Then for a while he is just sort of in the background, but that isn't his fault that he's overshadowed by all these other high and mighty sorts! He can't help it that he's neither big nor particularly strong, but he does his best and does his part. He's one of those people who join the Fellowship purely because of his friendship with and loyalty to Frodo.

At the Breaking of the Fellowship, he proves he can keep his head - he attempts to cut off as many arms and hands of the Orcs as he can before receiving his head wound. Of course he must recover from this before he can help very much, but he quickly catches on to Pippin's game and once they have escaped, once more proves his worth. Though overloooked in Rivendell, clearly he had not wasted his time. He had looked at maps and knew rather where they were. It was he and Pippin who met Treebeard - Treebeard who, due to their oft-overlookedness, didn't even know what a Hobbit was! Gandalf seems to be the only one who ever acknowledges his part in the breaking of Isengard.

Then, Theoden doesn't even see how Merry can be of use in battle and so orders him to stay behind. Merry continues on, though, not in disloyalty but because of loyalty. He wanted to do his part to help, and he does, playing an all-important part in slaying the Witch-king, who had noticed him as little more than a worm in the mud. Even after that, no one notices him! He has to drag himself up into the city, despite being injured and sick.

Afterwards, Frodo and Sam get all this praise - "Praise them with great praise!" But once more, Merry is horribly overlooked. All he ever receives in reward is a little horn.

For once, Merry deserves some recognition. He should be the sole survivor.

Besides... he's the character who's most like me! (Well... half the time. The other half it's Frodo, but that's irrelevant. )
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:47 AM   #1180
WaynetheGoblin
Shade of Carn Dûm

WaynetheGoblin has just left Hobbiton.
++gimly.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:34 AM   #1181
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The question to ask yourself here is, are you a Cavalier or a Roundhead?
Do you lean towards lace, fine wine, polished banter and skilled swordplay, or starched linen, stern looks and dismal meals taken in joyless silence?

Speaking as an unabashed, unashamed Cavalier, this is not the finale I'd hoped for. The New Model Army of Roundheads among the voters have wreaked their dour puritan vengeance on most of our dashing and glamorous contestants.

Who remains who can bring a little colourful splash of gallantry to the winner's podium?

Not Hama. Like that dreary Orkney fisherman I mentioned earlier (dullest ever winner of Big Brother) he is the very model of a Roundhead - worthy, earnest and oh so NOT who you'd like to be sat next to at a dinner party.

Gimli - well, a possible. He is a worshipper at the golden shrine of the glamorous Galadriel, he loved bright shiny things, such as the Glittering Caves. And my Survivior ally Anguirel wants him to win.

But then there is Merry. Lordly, folk called him, meaning nothing but good. He has panache, he has courage, he was not too proud to sit behind a woman and he was by far the coolest hobbit in the Scouring of the Shire chapter. A man of principle but also of decisive and practical action:

Quote:
"it will certainly mean fighting. You won’t rescue Lotho, or the Shire, just by being shocked and sad, my dear Frodo."
What is more, the beloved memory of Eomer and Eowyn would be honoured by his win. Merry is the only remaining Cavalier, and so he gets my vote.
++MERRY

PS There was a part of me that just wanted to wait to see what Mormegil would do and then do the precise opposite. But I am bigger than that.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:45 AM   #1182
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Lalaith, I too am a firm Cavalier. I believe Gimli qualifies as one, in the end.

Looks aren't everything. Charles II himself admitted "God's fish, I am an ugly fellow!" What matters is culture, chivalry, courtesy, wit. Gimli possesses these in unusual abundance.

He sings the song of Durin. He gallantly requests three of Galadriel's hairs; in the game of wooing he is strides ahead of the cold, formal Aragorn, and only slightly behind Faramir.

He knows the chivalrous choice is to rescue Merry and Pippin. He declines to sing of the East, showing great tact. Once in Rohan, he behaves with proper hauteur but is not too strict about grudges. He saves Eomer's life despite their quarrel. He takes part in a "joust" with Master Elf.

He conquers his fears and passes the Paths of the Dead with supreme knightly courage. And then there is his final, glorious, romantic altercation with Eomer-

(paraphrasing) "You have chosen the evening. But I prefer the morning, and I fear it may soon pass."

Well, it did, in the person of Lady Galadriel, but Gimli's still here, and I exhort that you vote for him. Sir Gimli-knight, gallant, cavalier, paragon of chivalry and oldie courtesie!
Old 10-12-2005, 07:09 AM   #1183
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I wouldn't say Gimli conquered the paths of the dead. More accurate would be to say that he was so shamed that he was more or less forced to do it. And all this talk of Gimli forging Elf/Dwarf relationships is a misrepresentation of the actual facts. The truth is, it was Galadriel that began the reforging and Gimli was simply the witless dwarf who was caught under her enchantment
Old 10-12-2005, 07:14 AM   #1184
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I didn't say he conquered the Paths of the Dead either. I said he conquered his fears, a far more important achievement. Who showed the greater courage-Aragorn, who knew he could not be touched, or Gimli, who had no such assurance?

And your comment about Galadriel is rather rich in light of your vote for her, driving her off the island. Besides, it was clearly Gimli who took the initiative in requesting the hairs and in becoming a battle brother of Legolas. Since Legolas stayed into the Fourth Age and Galadriel didn't, this friendship did far more for Elf-Dwarf harmony than any manipulation you can attribute to Galadriel.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:58 AM   #1185
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

I will not dispute you, Anguirel, over Gimli's virtues - they make him a very worthy runner-up.

But surely Merry, whose very name is the personification of this contest's arena of Mirth, is a more deserving overall champion.

Vote for the Laughing Cavalier!
Old 10-12-2005, 08:16 AM   #1186
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

The problem with Merry as Cavalier is he lacks the crucial element of Royalist romanticism. Namely, his ending is prosaic but happy.

Gimli, on the other hand, ends up following a strange people in resignation and defeat in pursuit of a final sight of an unattainable love. Sigh.

Hence, Gimli is the Cavalier, Merry the burlesque Restoration hero. And I know which one I inevitably prefer.

If you profess Romanticism, if you are caught into Tolkien because of the loss, the Long Defeat, the gallant but helpless defiance and delaying of the inevitable with unimpeachable bravery...if you surge with excitement at "he died with the Dawn in his eyes..."

Then Gimli is your man, or rather Dwarf. Vote accordingly!

EDIT: Note for reader's interest-the man portrayed in the painting "The Laughing Cavalier" is neither laughing nor a Cavalier!

It's rather like the Holy Roman Empire...

Last edited by Anguirel; 10-12-2005 at 08:33 AM.
Anguirel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:28 AM   #1187
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
++Gimli

For being a Cavalier! And Anguirel has convinced me.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:35 AM   #1188
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Ok, I'm talking mostly to the girls now.

What does Gimli actually *do* for his beloved lady? How exactly does he serve her, in any practical sense? He's all talk and no trousers. We all know the type.
Compare this to Merry:

Quote:
He clenched his hand. She should not die, so fair, so desperate. At least she should not die alone, unaided.
I'm sorry, no contest.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:35 AM   #1189
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Voting update

Hama-4
Merry-4
Gimli-4

Hmmm. It's, er, quite close...

EDIT: Lalaith, you skirted the Romanticism point! Anyway, because Gimli carries Galadriel's favour, all his subsequent valiant deeds count as in her service-and are in her service, as they are in the service of all the Free Peoples.

Galadriel's message sent after Gimli, calling him Lockbearer, shows she is aware and appreciative of his valour. Note his joyous reaction to this.

In more practical tems, Gimli twice challenges the far larger and probably more powerful Eomer over Galadriel's beauty and virtue, defending her from any insult. Let me sum up this dutiful service-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Gimli the Chivalrous
Then I must go for my axe.
The clincher-Merry commits a crime which no true Romantic or hopelessly valiant Cavalier would stoop to. He marries and settles down!

Last edited by Anguirel; 10-12-2005 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:47 AM   #1190
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Ok, I'm talking mostly to the girls now.

What does Gimli actually *do* for his beloved lady? How exactly does he serve her, in any practical sense? He's all talk and no trousers. We all know the type.
Compare this to Merry:

I'm sorry, no contest.
Now Hama if you look at him, it's safe to assume he was a family man and one can properly infer from his character type the he was as fiercely loyal to his family as he was to his country. Hama, is a man, albeit no the most attractive, but loyal to family, friends and country. He loved those whom he served and on top of that he had a well respected job that probably paid fairly well and didn't require much travel. On the other hand, again this is to the ladies, Gimli and Merry would rather have adventures than to stay at home with the wife and kids. Which type of man would you truly prefer?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:56 AM   #1191
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
Gimli and Merry would rather have adventures than to stay at home with the wife and kids. Which type of man would you truly prefer?
You're otherlooking one possibly small and academic subtlety, old boy. Neither Merry nor Gimli at the time of the War of the Ring had "wife and kids". Their first loyalty was to their friends in carrying out the Quest of the Ring.

We know nothing *from the book* of Hama's family. As one of the King's closest guards and retainers, he was probably a huscarl of the royal household, forbidden to marry until estates were bestowed upon him. Therefore his loyalty was foremost to his King; and he carried this out pretty ineptly, allowing Wormtongue to gain ascendancy over Theoden through his lack of gumption, and when rescuers arrived trying to bar them from entry and remove their means of defence! Lucky he got the chop; Roundhead Hama is certainly a liability, and probably a dastardly Cromwellian Republican as well!
Old 10-12-2005, 09:59 AM   #1192
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
It is true a family man is good in some respects, but here in Survivor, it's dog-eat-dog. You can't be burdened by wife and children*! And in this competition, the hardiest will endure, so:

++Gimli

Get it won!

*Disclaimer: This statement serves only for this competition. I do not bear any ill will towards wives, kids, families, husbands, parents, or any such familial term. Nor do I think such ties are burdening, but rather enjoyable. Any offense to the above statement will be hereby disregarded, due to the fact that said statement was in jest and this disclaimer says that I can disregard any complaints.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:19 AM   #1193
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Gurthang, my fellow extra-terrestial blade, you've made the right decision!

Vote for the Romantic Dwarf! The Axing Cavalier! The Lord of the Glittering Caves! The Champion of the Lady of the Golden Wood! The unbidden guest who proved most welcome!

Vote Gimli!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:19 AM   #1194
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
What does Gimli actually *do* for his beloved lady?
What does Gimli do at all? Seriously, he's involved throughout the vast majority of the book, and what does he really do that couldn't have been easily done by someone else? Nothing! He's useless! He is completely unoutstanding, both as a character and as a player of Survivor! He pulls his weight, but he hasn't ever done anything of real benefit. The only real reason for his existence is so that there might be a representitive of his kindred. That's all he's good for, and he doesn't even do that well. He ends up almost more like an Elf than a Dwarf. Really.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:47 AM   #1195
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

For my money, it should be personality and character that win this game. Unfortunately, as is often the way in Reality shows, most of the really great personalities have already been voted off.

But there is one ...

Let's look at the remaining trio:

First, Hama:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
We know nothing *from the book* of Hama's family.
I would go further and say that we know next to nothing of Hama himself from the book. What was he? A bouncer and a warrior. That's it. the sum total of his character as we know it. And he has shown little more in the show. OK, so he made Aragorn leave Anduril at the Door of Edoras, and I respect him for that. But really, he was only doing his duty. As he was when he fell at Helm's Deep. The man, from what we know and have seen of him, has no personality. No colour whatsoever.

What about Gimli? Yes, he was brave and loyal to the Quest. He has a certain sense of humour. And he struck up an unlikely friendship with Legolas. But only after the two had been together for a long time. His natural instinct, and the one which I feel that we must judge him on, is to tow the line and bear the traditional and irrational grudge which Dwarves hold againt Elves. Yes, it's reciprocated, but "an eye for an eye" is hardly an excuse (*glares at most fellow voters* ). And while the oft repeated complaint that Gimli and Legolas have no character is generally over-stated, there is, sad to say, some truth to it. Of all the principal characters, we learn the least of these two. And then there are Gimli's less attractive qualities. He is grim, dour, often irritable and rather "scratchy". I am afraid that he is hardly Mister Personality.

And, finally, I come to Merry. Like others of his race, a purveyor of fine food, fine wine and fine pipeweed, Merry is someone who dispays a great love for life and all it has for offer. Undoubtedly as brave and loyal as Gimli, if not more so (given that the Dwarf has the advantage of physical stature and training over him), but with an infinately greater personality. A loyal friend, particularly to Frodo and Pippin, he set out on the Quest for the Ring out of friendship without knowing what lay ahead of him, but knowing that, whatever it was, it was grim and fearful. He masterminded the "conspiracy" which was unmasked at Crickhollow and went on to display great intelligence and practicality throughout the Quest (skills which he has put to great use on the Island, I might add - it was he who first mapped the Island and charted its flora and fauna so that the contestants might supplement their meagre rations from its natural bounty). And, of course, he participated in the greatest battle of the War of the Ring and played a central role in bringing down the Enemy's most powerful and dreaded Captain, almost at the cost of his life. Merry also showed that he could learn from his experiences, putting that which he had learned on the Quest to good use in organising the rebellion against Sharkey's men in the Scouring of the Shire. Is it any wonder that, after all this, he settled down with his wife and children? Yet he did not rest. He served his people dutifully as Master of Buckland and then again showed his adventurous spirit by particpating in this show.

Need I go on?

The only really deserving winner out of the three that are left. I give you ...

++MERIADOC BRANDYBUCK
Old 10-12-2005, 10:48 AM   #1196
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
What does Gimli do at all? Seriously, he's involved throughout the vast majority of the book, and what does he really do that couldn't have been easily done by someone else? Nothing! He's useless! He is completely unoutstanding, both as a character and as a player of Survivor! He pulls his weight, but he hasn't ever done anything of real benefit. The only real reason for his existence is so that there might be a representitive of his kindred. That's all he's good for, and he doesn't even do that well. He ends up almost more like an Elf than a Dwarf. Really.
Ooo, bitter.

He-

-provides someone readers can identify with when in the company of the perfect Aragorn and Legolas
-has pithy and intelligent wit, of the Tolkien, not PJ, sort
-plays at courtly love a damn sight better than the rest of the Fellowship put together
-saves Eomer twice and Aragorn once at Helm's Deep
-beats Legolas by an Orc
-is, on the contrary, a sardonic character, one of the few who consistently has the spirit to see the dark humour in impossible situations
-sings and dances
-says

Barak Khazad, Khazad Aimenu!

on numerous occasions, thereby displaying the essential, compelling quality of Dwarvendom-axing
-unlike cissy little hero-Hobbits and would-be-King Men, doesn't sully himself by effecting a plot unduly. Basically-along with Legolas-he has the dignity to stay peripheral.

Let me put it, Firefoot, in an analogy you'll sympathise with. If LOTR is an RP, Gimli's player shows an excellent style, lightens tension, engrosses the reader, while at the same time not domineering the storyline.

Rather like your Orc pair in Red Flows The Sirannon.

This is Gimli's purpose. He may not defeat Sauron or kill the Witch King, but he is a gripping and vital adornment to the books, and I would regret his omission from them far more than I would regret the passing of Meriadoc-AKA Yet Another Perfect Hobbit Hero...

Vote for the adornment of the books, the cynosure of earthy wit! Vote Gimli!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:00 AM   #1197
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
And while the oft repeated complaint that Gimli and Legolas have no character is generally over-stated, there is, sad to say, some truth to it. Of all the principal characters, we learn the least of these two. And then there are Gimli's less attractive qualities. He is grim, dour, often irritable and rather "scratchy". I am afraid that he is hardly Mister Personality.
You claim he has no personality and go on to list his personal attributes! In the words of the great Boris Johnson, the true sign of a "muddleheaded mugwump".

It's his scratchiness that makes him endearing, old chap! You have this vitally important world-saving quest. On it is a po-faced Wizard, a pompous man, an angsty man, two Hobbits who start vaguely amusing but sober up, two Hobbits who start depressed and get more so, and an Elf without flaws.

And you have Gimli. Gimli has the courage to stand up to the consensus. To poke fun at dire misfortune. And yet also to behave with gravitas when demanded. Whenever Aragorn or Gimli get too irritating, earthy Gimli takes them down a peg, whether by teasing the stiff necks of the Elves, or by insisting on a decent rest. He insists on following Merry and Pippin, and when he is reunited with them, he is gruff and mock-outraged.

Gimli is a typical, British, stiff-upper lip, keep on going, pessimistic Dwarf. For fans of Narnia, he serves the Puddleglum role. For fans of Bored of the Rings, I give you this splendid line-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet son of Gloin
If he says Lo one more time I'll chop his head off.
Vote for Gimli, voice of reason!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:07 AM   #1198
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
You claim he has no personality and go on to list his personal attributes!
I didn't say that he had no personality, Ang. Admittedly he has more character than Hama, but he hardly compares with Merry.

But I'm not going to fight with you, Ang. Not any more. I have stated my view and I stand by it. And really, that's what this is (and always should have been) all about. People's own views ...
Old 10-12-2005, 11:10 AM   #1199
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Actually, I will add one more thing and leave it at that. Merry is the only one of the remaining contestants who wrote a book!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:13 AM   #1200
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Really, Saucie, where's your spirit? I was ready for a good old punch-up!

My views are that Gimli's personality, whether crotchety or courteous, outclasses Merry's responsible niceness. He's the epitome, Saucie, of the "nice but dull" characters you have crusaded against. But you're not going to do the same to him, because he's a blimming chirpy Hobbit gentleman, and you bear him sentimental attachment. That be the truth o' it!

That's my view. Let's see if the voters of the Downs agree, and turn out to support the beleaguered Dwarf stalwart, and (say it with me, Lalaith...) Cavalier!

EDIT: Gimli Gloinsson's On the Sparkliness of Diamonds won the Erebor Booker Prize. Its Khuzdul language and ill-received Sindarin translation by L. Thranduillion, however, limited its audience and it never made it into the record of the Red Book...

Votes:

Hama 4
Merry 5
Gimli 5

Vote for Gimli, literary genius!

Last edited by Anguirel; 10-12-2005 at 11:17 AM.