The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-29-2004, 12:52 PM   #81
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Dwarves?!

Dwarves?! I love dwarves! They're so cool! And what do you mean nobody likes Gimli? Gimli's hot! He has a beard, and that makes him hot. Period. Although, I have to admit, my favorite dwarf is Thorin Oakenshield, mostly for his kingly-ness and his stubborn-ness!

So, next time you find yourself thinking that no one loves dwarves, just think of your little friend Siri, here on the 'Downs.

~*Siri*~
Old 03-29-2004, 03:33 PM   #82
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Oh, huzzah! A Dwarf thread. Again, Huzzah! Hail and well met ye dwarf-lovers.

I am indeed a supporter of Gimli and all his relative dwarfishness. I come, but to point out an extremity which, I believe, has never been given to dwarven credit. An offhand remark in the movie, another addition to movie-Gimli's comic aura, was generally: Our beloved dwarf making a remark to Eowyn about Dwarven reproduction and lack of females. This may have been a strangely accurate point.

I put it to you, fellow dwarf-lovers, that during the making of the dwarves, there were 7 dwarves laid down in Arda's many subterranean empires, 13 dwarves overall. Explicitly, Illuvatar himself "commanded Aule to lay the fathers of the Dwarves severally in deep places, each with his mate, save Durin the eldest who had none." (Tolkein Letter #212). This means that there were 6 females, since there were seven males. So Durin had no mate. How exactly did the descendants of Durin become...well, the descendants of Durin?

Again, I put to you my theory. Perhaps, either the dwarves are even more learned in the magicks of the world than Olorin himself, making dwarves, or they have perfected the art of pulling dwarves from the ground like rabbits! Either way, we should all bow our unworthy heads to the incredible magic/genius/scientific knowledge accumulation/social skills of the mighty Durin and all dwarves.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 04:59 AM   #83
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
Well, actually....

...if you rule out the Nazgirls ("OMG!!!1! ORLI IS SOOOO HOTT!!!1!!11") and count those who actually like the story for the story, not Orlando, the Gimli fans outweigh the Legolas fans 12:1. At least at my college anyways...

J R-D's awesome though! He talked to us at the prem, and Hwin was putting on fake accents just to make him keep talking. He has such an amazing voice *sighs* Besides, OB looks like he's never seen food in his life! *holds up sign stating how to make a sandwich*
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 03:07 AM   #84
Eriathiel

I agree!

By the way, before we get onto dwarves, I also think that Bloom and Wood are TOTALLY gorgeous! Anyway, about dwarves, me and my friend love Gimli! He is so funny and brave and is always ready to rush to the aid of his friends! Loved him in the movie and I love his character in the books. I do think that dwarves have been ignored because in LOTR there's only 1 dwarf (Gimli) whereas in the hobbit (which I read before LOTR) there are hundreds of 'em, which for me makes them more important in LOTR! Sorry this turned out longer than I expected! To sum up, Dwarves are COOL!
Old 04-07-2004, 12:48 PM   #85
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

DWARVES ROCK! (no pun intended.) Gimli is so cool. He's my favorite character (after Faramir, but he's a totally different type of guy) and makes me smile every time I see him. He's just the coolest ever! JRD was a really good Gimli, and made his character real for me. He was one of the few who didn't ruin my mental image.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:01 PM   #86
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Well folks, they've made a spiffy White Tree of Gondor. Now, who here (who doesn't have a job or AP tests to study for) will take up the challenge for an axe icon? The Dwarves must be represented! Yeah, yeah... whateva.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:49 PM   #87
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
White Tree

Hey, maybe I'll try to make an axe icon! Dwarves rule, and must be represented on the Barrow-downs with their own icon!

Besides, icons are fun to make.

I like the dwarves, and they need something to represent them here, though there are so few people who like the dwarven kind.

LONG LIVE GIMLI!

-Eowyn Skywalker
Eowyn Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:34 PM   #88
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli rules, and I have made him an icon to rule them all... erk, I mean represent the dwarves.

What do you think?

One axe icon to rule them all...

-Eowyn Skywalker
Old 04-25-2004, 06:52 PM   #89
Tulkas the Mighty
Haunting Spirit

Tulkas the Mighty has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

That is totally awesome! It's even more detailed than our new White Tree! Have you sent it to BW yet to get it as an official icon?
Tulkas the Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:27 PM   #90
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

No, I don't know who to send it to. Would you know, Tulkas?

I'm glad that you like it. And in the White Tree thread, two other people agreed that my icon was good, and that we needed a dwarven icon.

So, who would I send it to?

-Eowyn Skywalker
Old 04-26-2004, 06:56 PM   #91
Orophin
Animated Skeleton

Orophin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye dwarves are underated

It is true that dwarves are not present much in the lord of the rings. I think that this is because of the active roles that they had in the hobbit where you really didn't meet any elves. However dwarves are awsome, especailly Gimli. He is the solem dependable made of rock member of the fellowship. He is always there to chop some orc necks or make fun of elves. One little fact that I would like to point out is that he did beat Legolas in the orc killing contest at Helm's Deep. It was close but he won none the less. I do not like one race over another but I think that elves get the glory for the most part.
Orophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 02:29 PM   #92
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Gimli is the greatest! That's really all there is to it. In the books he's awesome, in the movies he's awesome. Yet with the coming of the movies he's been underplayed and seems like more of a sidekick then a dwarven warrior. But hey I love him all the same.
I keep telling my friends how I want Gimli as a doorguard in my house. So he can use his ax to cut down intruders. If only it were possible...

That being said, Gimli, brave and loyal. And he needs a much bigger fan base in my opinion.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:40 AM   #93
Spottedfyre
Newly Deceased

Spottedfyre has just left Hobbiton.
Narya Yes! Thank you!

I'm glad to have found more Gimli fans! I don't care what everyone else says; Dwarves are friggin smexy, especially Gimli. *sighs* When will people learn?
Spottedfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #94
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
YES

Gimli ROCKS
Old 09-15-2008, 11:53 PM   #95
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Yes, Gimli is pretty amazing. Personally think that he should have been a more prominent character in LotR. Might have been cool to see more things from his point of view.

Oh, and the axe is really cool Eowyn Skywalker.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #96
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eowyn Skywalker View Post
This is amazing! I'm going to see if I can find an administer to make it an icon.

I'm not so much a Gimli fan as I am a dwarf fan in general. I lover their steadfast ways, the loyalty that they have for one another, and the deep sense of patriotism. Gimli is by far the greatest character in the Fellowship, and I was a bit disappointed by PJ's downsizing of his character in the movies to a more comical relief role, but he still comes across as a tough with a black & white view of right and wrong!
Old 09-19-2008, 04:35 AM   #97
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green Me too

I don't really think there's just a few of us. I mean, who could resist Gimli's good heart, pessimism and sense of humour? He's just awesome. In general, I'm not particularly attached to Dwarves, but Gimli (alongside Balin and Thorin) makes an exception. I'm wondering... if there was a poll, which one would be liked more, Gimli or Legolas? Because I couldn't decide between them - they're both lovely - and I think quite a lot of other people would have hard time making their choices as well...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #98
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Gimli totally kicks Legolas's erm.. butt! Yeah! Gimli is awesome! Dwarves are cool in general, but Gimli is cute says Laurinque!