The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-10-2005, 03:58 PM   #1121
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

I warn you. If Pippin looks to be in danger, I shall have no alternative but to renounce my oath of equilibrium.

Hmm, two Hobbits in the final. Now, there's an idea ...
Old 10-10-2005, 04:02 PM   #1122
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

Talking of which, what's Hama doing still here? All he ever did was tell Aragorn to put his sword down. Surely, he's dined out on that story for long enough?

Can we really have Hama in a LotR Survivor final? It hardly presents the right image now does it?

Whereas Pippin sums up the very essence of one of Tolkien's key themes: The ennoblement of the humble.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:11 PM   #1123
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I don't want to vote for either hobbit. I would prefer to vote for Gimli, but I'm open to voting out Hama.

Not only is Gimli useless, but he also gives up part of his heritage in order to become an Elf-friend. What kind of Dwarf values hair over gems and riches? And he doesn't stay loyal to his father at all, instead getting all chummy with Elf-boy. Blood is thicker than water and all that, but Gimli doesn't seem to think so. He ought to be proud to be a Dwarf!
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:19 PM   #1124
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Talking of which, what's Hama doing still here? All he ever did was tell Aragorn to put his sword down. Surely, he's dined out on that story for long enough?

Hama is the underdog and good TV drama always has an underdog for all to cheer for. Now we have the odds you gave here though you were a bit pessimistic about Pippin I think so that is skewed otherwise I like it.

Quote:
Dwarves/Elves
Galadriel: 2-1 joint favourite
Glorfindel: 2-1 joint favourite
Gimli: 20-1
Gloin: 50 - 1

Hobbits/Ent
Quickbeam: 200 - 1
Merry: 16 - 1
Pippin: 24 - 1

Men/rohan lady
Eomer: 8 - 1
Eowyn: 3-1
Hama: 25 - 1
Now you will notice that by your own admission Hama is the greatest underdog. And know you are saying you will break an oath to save Pippin? Surely we expect more from somebody with such lofty ideals.

Hama should be our champion of the first LotR survivor. Though I think I've developed enough Anti-Mormegil sentiment that saying that probably doomed him today. I just hope that sentiment doesn't carry forward to Silm Survivor.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:21 PM   #1125
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Aha! A fight to the DEATH. Then we shall see the bonds of frienship break and find the true drive of their hearts. Do they so long for the prize that they will renounce their strongest relationship? Or will they relinquish victory for the less sweet, longer lasting taste of companionship? Is friendship greater than treasure? Is Pippin greater than Merry? I've got to find out!

++Gimli & Hama
Old 10-10-2005, 04:44 PM   #1126
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Ah but morm, those odds would have been updated with each day's voting. Still, I am glad that no one took me up on them at the time. A Hama win would have taken me to the cleaners.

I am actually sympathetic to the portrayal of Hama as the underdog. But not at the expense of young Master Peregrine.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:48 PM   #1127
WaynetheGoblin
Shade of Carn Dûm

WaynetheGoblin has just left Hobbiton.
++pipin.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:57 PM   #1128
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
Hama should be our champion of the first LotR survivor. Though I think I've developed enough Anti-Mormegil sentiment that saying that probably doomed him today. I just hope that sentiment doesn't carry forward to Silm Survivor.
With Galadriel gone, I would have supported Hama as the unlikely "who in Middle-earth is that" victor, but I can't do it now.

++HAMA THE HAMMY

Purely out of spite.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:13 PM   #1129
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
++Hama

I lost all faith now that Galadriel and Eowyn are gone. I will get RETRIBUTION!!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 05:27 PM   #1130
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
++Gimli & Hama
Yeah, that's probably not gonna count. (not that I ever thought it would) So:

--Gimli & Hama

It's still between those two though, cuz I want to see this Merry and Pippin brawl. I've got nothing against Gimli, but Hama already has a couple votes, so I'll even it out a little.

++Gimli
Old 10-10-2005, 06:56 PM   #1131
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
Two hobbits in the final could be good for the ratings, especially such good long time friends of Merry and Pippin, they're bound to betray one another for supreme survivor, much more so then if only one of them were in.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:10 PM   #1132
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
There is only one person I would like to see win more than Gimli, and that is Hama, so as it seems like he is the only other alternative to be kicked off, ++Gimli
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:01 PM   #1133
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Glirdan...understand...you must understand...I...

I go for Pippin because I think that the more races at the end would be great. But I don't want to hurt you, so I do not go for Merry. And mind this -

Quote:
Originally posted by Boromir 88:
Two hobbits in the final could be good for the ratings, especially such good long time friends of Merry and Pippin, they're bound to betray one another for supreme survivor, much more so then if only one of them were in.
We don't want that to happen. Glirdan, please understand.

++Pippin

I'm really sorry. I really, really am. I did all I could to save Eowyn. I was not aware that Galadriel was in danger until too late.

Don't hate me.

-- Folwren
Old 10-10-2005, 08:22 PM   #1134
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
++Gimli

Useless character.

Folwren, anyone who hates you because of a mistake in this ultimately irrelevant Mirth thread is absurd, and you shouldn't care about them anyway.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:59 PM   #1135
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Glirdan...understand...you must understand...I...

I go for Pippin because I think that the more races at the end would be great. But I don't want to hurt you, so I do not go for Merry. And mind this -

We don't want that to happen. Glirdan, please understand.

++Pippin

I'm really sorry. I really, really am. I did all I could to save Eowyn. I was not aware that Galadriel was in danger until too late.

Don't hate me.

-- Folwren
But....but...but......... Oh my!! I think I'm going to faint!!! *Thud* *Splash* What!?!? Oh right!!! I don't hate you friend, but I can't believe you'd turn your back on him....... I'm in shock..... Major shock.......................
Old 10-11-2005, 12:23 AM   #1136
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Oh, come on. Downers, this really is your last chance to escape the chain of Saucie.

Vote ++PIPPIN.

And I'm supporting Gimli for the final, to avenge the Lady of the Golden Wood...
Old 10-11-2005, 01:29 AM   #1137
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Actually Merry was right from the start one of my final hopefuls so I suppose I should be backing him.

But right now I'm so bored with this lacklustre quartet I'm expected to get excited about (Merry - short; Pippin - short; Hama - ugly; Gimili - short and ugly) and so hacked off with their ghastly crew of blokey supporters that if I participate at all I fear it will be on Anguirel's "causing as much unhappiness as possible" principle.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:36 AM   #1138
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
You know, there's something to be said for the causing as much unhappiness as possible principle. I'm certainly unhappy right now.

--HAMA
++PIPPIN

I will keep my favored contestant a closely guarded secret for now.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:09 AM   #1139
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

So let me get this straight. Those contestants who have aroused particular passion (strong likes/dislikes) among the viewers have either been evicted straight off or targetted in revenge for someone having voted for a favourite. People get really involved and therefore really upset when one of their favourites is voted off (I should imagine that this includes most if not all of us by now). The only contestants who are left (once Pip goes today ) will be those that no one has really cared about strongly enough either to support or target for eviction with any degree of conviction. So the winner ends up being a rather bland "compromise" candidate - someone who has been neither the favourite nor the least favourite of those who have participated in the voting.

Boro, may I congratulate you on managing to capture the essence of "real" Reality TV in this thread with such incredible accuracy.

Sad to say, but I rather like Reality TV (although the endless "variations" on the original theme are becoming somewhat repetitive) and so I tend to watch it quite a bit. And this thread has gone almost exactly the same way that most of them go.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:54 AM   #1140
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
But....but...but......... Oh my!! I think I'm going to faint!!! *Thud* *Splash* What!?!? Oh right!!! I don't hate you friend, but I can't believe you'd turn your back on him....... I'm in shock..... Major shock.......................
Glirdan, look...I can't go any other way. It would be unfair to Faramir and Eomer and Eowyn and all the men if we took off the last man in this game. Yes, I understand that it's a major shock. And it's not like I like Hama any more than Pippin, but Hama's a man, and he was faithful. I didn't turn my back on him. I kept him here until the very end. He won't have to wait for Merry long.

Also, Glirdan, consider. SpM was one of the only people we had left to get back at for kicking Sam off. Don't you see how much he wants Pippin to stay? In voting off Pippin, we may hurt ourselves a little, but we're getting our retribution for SpM throwing Sam, and all the others off earlier. Do you see?

Come on, ol' chap. Don't take it so hard.

-- Folwren
Old 10-11-2005, 08:07 AM   #1141
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Boy, you really bear a grudge, Folwren, don't you?
Quote:
Only when it's necessary, actually. I'll be quite willing to forgive you all when either your cause or mine is quite without hope.
Quote:
Also, Glirdan, consider. SpM was one of the only people we had left to get back at for kicking Sam off. Don't you see how much he wants Pippin to stay? In voting off Pippin, we may hurt ourselves a little, but we're getting our retribution for SpM throwing Sam, and all the others off earlier. Do you see?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:18 AM   #1142
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Hey, it wasn't my idea to keep with the retribution so long.

Also, voting for Pippin was done for more than just getting you back, SpM. I may say that that reason was the last. It's mostly making up to someone. So don't flatter yourself.

--Folwren
Old 10-11-2005, 08:20 AM   #1143
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Now, now. I like Gimli. Others like Pippin. Nobody cares about Hama.

The best thing to do would be to all agree to kick of Hama, leaving us with three interesting candidates in the final round. Can anybody think of a good reason he should stay over one of the other three?

Thought so.

++Hama
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:22 AM   #1144
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Whereas Pippin sums up the very essence of one of Tolkien's key themes: The ennoblement of the humble.

I don't know what to say. Words choke me...

Ennoblement of the humble?

WHAT ON EARTH DO YOU THINK SAM WAS THERE FOR?!

Yes! Okay, so I do bear a grudge! Pippin's going down, if only for your sake! How could you - you of all people - say such a thing?

Augh!

-- Folwren

(Jack would much better be able to handle this situation......)
Old 10-11-2005, 08:24 AM   #1145
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I should really just leave this thread and come back later when I'm not riled up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
The best thing to do would be to all agree to kick of Hama, leaving us with three interesting candidates in the final round. Can anybody think of a good reason he should stay over one of the other three?
Yes, actually. So that as many races as possible last to the end. So that someone, if only Hama, can be here to represent all the awesome characters that were kicked off from that group. You know, if...never mind.

-- Folwren
Old 10-11-2005, 08:26 AM   #1146
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Quote:
Yes, actually. So that as many races as possible last to the end. So that someone, if only Hama, can be here to represent all the awesome characters that were kicked off from that group. You know, if...never mind.
I meant a non politically correct reason.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:28 AM   #1147
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
a good reason he should stay over one of the other three?
Oh yes. I'm just chilling it in the fridge as I write. You know, the dish best eaten cold and all that.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:40 AM   #1148
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

You have the right of it, m'lady.

Saucie, if this is an anticlimactic finish, know that you, weeding out anyone interesting but your candidate, have caused it.

But I would contend that Gimli, Lord of Aglarond, deserves victory now; and that the comeuppance of the Pan Man is long, long overdue.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:19 AM   #1149
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Goodness me! Calm down everyone! It's only a game (show).

Quote:
So don't flatter yourself.
Er, I was rather under the impression that it was you who was attributing your vote to your (seemingly endless) quest to avenge yourself on me.

Quote:
Ennoblement of the humble?

WHAT ON EARTH DO YOU THINK SAM WAS THERE FOR?!
Yeah, but Sam got kicked off early in the show. (He got voted off by a majority, might I add, not just one (my) vote. Sheesh! I am really being given far to much credit for the way the voting has gone than I deserve here.) That being the case, of the remaining contestants, Pippin best represents the theme in my opinion.

Quote:
Yes! Okay, so I do bear a grudge! Pippin's going down, if only for your sake!
Am I to feel flattered? Or am I flattering myself again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
You know, the dish best eaten cold and all that.
I am sorry that you still hold Galadriel's eviction against me, Lal (even though mine was, again, only one vote amongst many). But I don't go in for positive discrimination. All these arguments about keeping so-and-so because they are the only female left leave me cold. If I don't like a contestant, I'll vote for them whatever their gender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
But I would contend that Gimli, Lord of Aglarond, deserves victory now; and that the comeuppance of the Pan Man is long, long overdue.
I might point out that (unlike some that I could mention) I have never voted for a contestant purely to spite a fellow viewer. I have voted for those who I felt deserved to go and to try to protect my favoured contestant. If I have upset people by doing so (and clearly I have), well tough. That's the way these things go.

Assuming that Pip goes today (which looks likely), I really have no preference for who wins the thing. Whoever wins out of the three, I would not feel unduly upset, but neither would I feel overly enthusiastic. As I said, just as in "real" Reality Shows, we end up with a compromise candidate. And that, my dear Ang, is most certainly not solely down to me, but to everyone who has participated in the voting.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:24 AM   #1150
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I'm not voting Pippin purely to spite you, Saucie...alright, maybe largely, but not purely.

There is the fact that he's an irritating hairy little waistcoated pocket-watch wearing credit-stealing whining scion of the decadent and debauched Thaindom. Down with him and his ilk!
Old 10-11-2005, 09:25 AM   #1151
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Quote:
mine was, again, only one vote amongst many
Of course, Saucie my dear. And you are by no means the only victim on my list.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:31 AM   #1152
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
There is the fact that he's an irritating hairy little waistcoated pocket-watch wearing credit-stealing whining scion of the decadent and debauched Thaindom. Down with him and his ilk!
Scandalous! I would never stoop so low as to misrepresent the facts like that.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:35 AM   #1153
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Of course, Saucie my dear. And you are by no means the only victim on my list.
Well, once Pip's gone, I am not sure that there is much material left with which to wreak your vengeance. I don't think that anyone is particularly enthusiastic, one way or the other, about the remaining candidates.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:45 AM   #1154
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

++Pippin

Muahaha! For vengeance!
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:49 AM   #1155
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Quote:
I don't think that anyone is particularly enthusiastic, one way or the other, about the remaining candidates
Oh I don't know. I believe that TGWBS is quite fond of a certain dwarf...and there might be other preferences emerging that will be monitored with interest...

(Sorry Ang, you've been a brick throughout, as the Famous Five would say, and I'd like to support your candidate. But right now, I'd rather just be mindlessly spiteful. "Cold are the counsels of women".)
Old 10-11-2005, 10:17 AM   #1156
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Oh I don't know. I believe that TGWBS is quite fond of a certain dwarf...and there might be other preferences emerging that will be monitored with interest...
Really? Then we must stomp on them without further delay! It is absolutely essential that no one but no one comes out of this competition satisfied with the result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcarillo
Muahaha! For vengeance!
Good grief! Now I am having vengeance visited upon me by those who I didn't even know that I had upset ...

Let's end this now.

++ PIPPIN

With feelings running so high and baying of the mob ringing in his ears, I am concerned that it is no longer in the poor chap's interests to remain on the Island. I would not wish to see his innocence tainted by the lies and falsehoods being peddled here.

And he is far too worthy to win a crude game-show like this.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:28 AM   #1157
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Well, once Pip's gone, I am not sure that there is much material left with which to wreak your vengeance. I don't think that anyone is particularly enthusiastic, one way or the other, about the remaining candidates.
You underestimate the power of the Mirth Forum...

Some of us, not caught up entirely in the vengeance element of repaying the evictions of our favourite characters (heck, I EVICTED my favourite characters), are busy fulfilling the mandate of the forum, and working at killing off characters with as much Mirth as may be...

And to Folwren & Co.:

'Tis most shameful of you to direct all your anger at Master Saucepan Man, but the fact of the matter is that he is only ONE of those who have been consistently voting off your favourites. He only has ONE vote after all. And while I might have been a willing member of the Anti-Celeborn League, the fact is that I have been eagerly voting off ANY member of the island who is the current favourite (Faramir, Eowyn, Glorfindel, Galadriel...)

And since, in the last week or so, that has been most of the candidates that the Anti-Saucie League has been pushing to keep, that's where I have been voting...

However, since Master Saucepan Man seems to be the only one left with a favourite, it's time for me to turn my bandwaggon around, and point it at Pippin.

Peregrin Took, as we all know, is among the most flippant of hobbits. The case against his lack of seriousness is so concisely put by Gandalf that all I can do is restate it: "Pippin is an incredible Fool of a Took".

In additional to his Foolishness of being a Took, Pippin is also well-known for his weed habit as well as his fungus habit. Merry, the other remaining hobbit, has it as well, but not so bad. One will note that Merry is able to part with his remaining stash of weed when he sees an old man in need of comforting, even though it is rudely received, and he won't see any more until Bree.

So off with the Habit! I mean the Hobbit!!

++Pippin
Old 10-11-2005, 10:39 AM   #1158
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Come now! Pippin is tiny. Pick on somebody your own size!
Old 10-11-2005, 11:10 AM   #1159
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
However, since Master Saucepan Man seems to be the only one left with a favourite, it's time for me to turn my bandwaggon around, and point it at Pippin.
No problem, Form. He needs to go for his own good. The (pipe)weed was feeding his paranoia and had him convinced that the other Islanders were plotting to do away with him and his hallucinations have been getting out of control. Goodness only knows what he might do were he aware of the level of feeling against him out in the real world.

As soon as he leaves the Island, he will be whisked away by those that care for him and checked into a rehabilitation clinic. Poor little soul. Much like a child prodigy grown old before his time, the glare of the media spotlight really was all too much for him.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:22 AM   #1160
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
Come now! Pippin is tiny. Pick on somebody your own size!
How do you know what size I am, Guy Who is Short?

Besides, that reminds me of ANOTHER addiction he had going: Entdraughts. What's the breath of life to an Ent is a heady brew for a small (or not so small anymore) Hobbit. He's "high" off it...