The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2005, 04:50 PM   #1081
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Never have I been struck by a greef like this.

Why Glorfindel !

Some one must die.

++Pippin

He is small and easy to kick around.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:48 PM   #1082
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Down with the females! They must GO!

++Galadriel

Oh, did I just say that out loud. *ehem* Just kidding.

--Galadriel

I don't like this Pippin bandwagon, it speaks of corruption. I'm not voting for him. There's only one man left, so he should stay. Same with the dwarf and elf, even if they are on the same team. So that leaves...

++Merry
Old 10-09-2005, 08:17 PM   #1083
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
++Glorfindel

Bandwagoning here people.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:26 PM   #1084
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

Glirdan, Glorfindel's already gone.

++Merry

Just so we can have one dwarf, one elf, a hobbit, and a man left. And between the two remaining hobbits, I like Merry less.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:26 PM   #1085
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
++Glorfindel

Bandwagoning here people.
Ummmm...he's already gone
Old 10-09-2005, 08:29 PM   #1086
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

OOPS!!! Then I'll go with

++Hama

Sorry, I was gone all day today and yesterday, soooo... and I just got a chance to come one. And I need to go have a little word with Perky...
Old 10-10-2005, 12:25 AM   #1087
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I say we forget the Hobbit race was ever created-awful mistake, far worse than the creation of Orcs. These small, parochial blackmailing thugs have sequestered all the wealth of Arnor and used it to build anachronistic pocket watches and express trains. Stop the industrial revolution!

++PEREGRIN "FINGERS" TOOK
Old 10-10-2005, 03:05 AM   #1088
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Despite the fact it was in jest, your post came very close to crossing the line. Be more careful in the future.
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:39 AM   #1089
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Am I being addressed? I don't like that tone, matey. My favourites are scattered on the wind, I'm disappointed, bitter and vengeful and I have the right to blimming well cross all the lines in ninety-eight pads of A4. So there.

Incidentally, let's drive for a Hobbit double lynching, my merry men...

--PIPPIN, ++MERRY
Old 10-10-2005, 06:41 AM   #1090
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand And now, an impassioned plea on behalf of the SPP (Save Pippin Party)

Darn! I meant to turn up yesterday and vote for Glorfindel in order to try to save Eowyn, who is a far better representative, in my opinion, of the Man tribe than Hama. Oh well.

So now, to business.

Those of you who have voted for young Peregrine should be ashamed of yourselves. Picking on an innocent youngster like that.

It seems that his fate is sealed, but I feel duty bound to put up a defence for him, seeing as no one else appears to be bothering.

His cheerfulness, sense of humour and penchant for getting himself into trouble have kept both Islanders and viewers amused throughout the show. He has provided hours of entertainment and kept the Survivors' spirits up. How could you be so cruel as to evict him at this final stage?

After all, he is the true hero of Middle-earth.

Together with Merry, he roused the Ents, thus helping to save the Rohirrim from annihilation at Helm's Deep and curtailing Saruman's plans for world domination. He and Merry both also provided the means by which Boromir was able to achieve redemption. And, of course, he was a key leader in the rebellion which led to the freeing of the idyllic Shire from Saruman's evil grasp.

But it was in his sole endeavours that he really came into his own. It was Pippin who alerted Gandalf to Denethor's attempt to take his own son's life. Had Denethor succeeded in doing so, the impact on the morale of Minas Tirith would have led to its fall. Make no mistake.

It was Pippin's quick wits which enabled the Three Hunters to pick up their trail after they had been captured by Orcs (thus leading them to rendezvous with Gandalf the White and, thereafter, assist in the defence of Rohan) and which enabled he and Merry to escape into Fangorn, thus precipitating said Entish arousal.

Despite not being physically suited for battle, he stood with the Captains of the West at the Morannon and succeeded in killing a Troll, thereby saving his comrade, Gimli, almost at the cost of his own life.

And then there is his much-maligned curiosity which, in fact, provided the medium through which a number of fortuitous events occurred.

Had he not dropped a stone down the well in Moria, thus rousing Durin's Bane, Gandalf would not have fallen at the Bridge and would not therefore become the White. The consequences for Middle-earth would have been dreadful.

And, had he not looked into the Palantir, the chain of events which led Aragorn to challenge Sauron, thus forcing him to move earlier than intended on Minas Tirith, thus bringing about the death of the Witch-King and the defeat of Sauron's forces at the Pelennor, thus enabling the Captains of the West to lead their host to the Black Gate, thus causing A Diversion!, thus allowing Frodo and Sam to make it to Mount Doom, Middle-earth would have fallen to Sauron's domination.

It was through Pippin's innocent curiosity that Eru was able to work much of his will on Middle-earth throughout the War of the Ring.

Oh, and he sang the bath song. Come on, you gotta love the bath song!

And you choose to reward him with this? Tsk! Shame on you all!

Although I would prefer to vote for Galadriel, since she thinks that she's got it in the bag and I would love to see her face if she were voted off before the final, I am, albeit with a heavy heart, prepared to sacrifice one Hobbit. But please, for the love of all that is good in Middle-earth, take Merry, not Pippin.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:08 AM   #1091
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Excellent. Saucie has fallen into an elephant trap.

Look at him. The cold-blooded satirist, the one who goes on about Survivor having to be good telly, and all that jazz, the one who, when necessary, claims that LOTR itself is a pack of lies.

In his hour of ascendancy, my friendies, Saucie toppled Samwise and Frodo, (with my help, I don't deny) calling Sam corrupt and Frodo a wimp. He it was who led the culling of Elves in the post-Celeborn rush, such as the fey but immensely watchable Thranduil, and the venerable Cirdan.

He it was who tore down Faramir, sensitive poet and pacifist, calling him a bloodstained brigand and extortioner on the scale of King John. He it was who tried to defend Grishnakh over Eomer. He it was who used risible and contradictory arguments to discredit Eomer and Eowyn, gabbling every needle-point he could; one moment saying they didn't make good footage, another that they were goodie-goodies, another that they were "jocks".

Now this steely politician shows his heart-and, citizens of the Downs, I entreat to stab into it. Strike the blow against Pippin, whether you wish to avenge Sam, Frodo, Celeborn, Aragorn, Faramir, Eomer, or Eowyn. It all amounts to the same thing.

This Machiavellian cynic had no mercy for your favourite characters, Downers. Let him receive none!

--MERRY, ++PIPPIN

PS Saucie, don't try and defend Pippin with quotations from the books. We know it's all made up; Pippin spent the War of the Ring at home regularly attempting to murder his father...
Old 10-10-2005, 07:23 AM   #1092
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Excellent. Saucie has fallen into an elephant trap.
If a trap it be, it is one that I have gladly walked into with my eyes fully open. It's the least that I can do to defend the gallant little Hobbit. I can hardly stand by and let him go undefended while the baying mob calls for his blood.

Quote:
The cold-blooded satirist ...
You are too kind. But you honour me with far too much credit here. I have merely played my part, as have all others who have voted.

Quote:
... the one who goes on about Survivor having to be good telly ...
Guilty as charged. Pippin makes good telly.

Quote:
... the one who, when necessary, claims that LOTR itself is a pack of lies ...
It is a curious fact that, as regards the adventures of Merry and Pippin, the Red Book is suprisingly accurate.

Really, Anguirel, I never realised that I had so much influence. As you offer it to me, and since it seems to have irked you so, I will gladly take the credit for bringing down all those frauds. The sad truth, however, is that I have little influence here. Those who wield the influence in this thread do so in much more devious and murky ways than I, using devices that I would not stoop so low as to use.

But hear this. All that I have ever done has been in the interests of keeping the show interesting and the tribes equally distributed. See, I am even prepared to sacrifice a Hobbit to further this aim.

Pippin is clearly going to-Day, whatever happens. But the symbolic nature of your re-vote for him is noted, Ang. It does you no credit.

Quote:
Pippin spent the War of the Ring at home regularly attempting to murder his father...
*Turns other cheek*
Old 10-10-2005, 09:02 AM   #1093
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
*claps excitedly*

Ang vs Saucie! Give them their own programme! Much better even than Survivor...
Old 10-10-2005, 10:55 AM   #1094
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
++Galadriel

Come on people. She's evil. And ruined the last round. And occasionally green. And rebellious. And evil. Gee, I could go on for years...
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:46 AM   #1095
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
++Galadriel

Come on people. She's evil. And ruined the last round. And occasionally green. And rebellious. And evil. Gee, I could go on for years...
I already did.

++Galadriel
Old 10-10-2005, 11:49 AM   #1096
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

You know what...tgwbs is right! Galadriel is evil. If it wasn't for her telling Boromir she wanted the Ring, he wouldn't have gone after Frodo. She killed me, that temptress!

++Galadriel
Old 10-10-2005, 12:11 PM   #1097
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Galadriel is most certainly not evil! Let's review the evidence against her...

Boromir88 states that she was responsible for his counterpart's demise. Entirely untrue. Galadriel only showed what the members of the Fellowship already had in their minds, although they might not have consciously been aware of it yet. Any insight she gave Boromir into his hidden desires saved the Quest. What if his desire for the Ring had come to the surface in Mordor? Disaster. It was only because the confrontation took place early that Frodo was able to escape with the Ring and fulfill his mission.

Yes, Galadriel has her faults. But she was able to conquer her faults through wisdom - wisdom earned through hardship and the pain of knowing that all of her works would come to nothing in the end. Yet she did not despair or yield to her temptation to take the Ring. Rather, she chose to reject the Shadow though she doomed her own realm along with it.

Have pity on Galadriel, last of the Elves on the island! The future of Middle-earth has been given to mortals. To the Elves is granted only memory of the past and a longing for the greatness that might have been had Arda not been marred by Morgoth. Even if the Hobbits/Man lose on Survivor, they have still won a victory that the Elves cannot: they will ultimately control the future of Middle-earth. Give Galadriel one triumph before she must diminish and sail into the West by allowing her to become the Survivor victor.

++PIPPIN
Old 10-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #1098
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I was about to defend Galadriel.

Then I remembered that in this perverse game, if you defend someone they get evicted within a couple of days.

Sooo...

We return to the elementary question; what makes the best Reality Telly?

((This post-modern approach is so ironic. Half us probably haven't seen a single episode of Big Brother, Survivor, or that ilk...I must confess to having watched the former once. I was disgusted to see them picking on an unfortunate, ah, lass called Kitten))

First, we have Merry and Pippin. Their chirpy humour went down well at first, but really it's running thin now, especially as the tabloids have exposed Pippin's faked university CV and Merry's past as a pot-dealer. Pippin is a whining child of privilege and Merry is just so flipping responsible, while being self-effacing and lost-looking. Depressing showing. Voters' favourites to go.

Then we have Hama. Unpopular beaverish beard hides chummy, matey behaviour and dogged loyalty, but not much else. Aragorn's gone so he can't deyfy anyone, and Eomer's gone so he can't obey anyone. He's a rebel/doorkeeper without a cause.

Then Gimli. Actually makes pretty funny jokes, and is a most efficient worker, but is getting disillusioned, crabby, violent and whenever possible drunk. Still definitely worth keeping around.

And Galadriel. A gift to the screen. A gift to the viewers. Makes interaction electric. All the boys are dying to serve her. Throw her off and they'll be listless and purposeless. Keep her on...and the duels and excitement will continue.

Remember people said evicting Grishnakh would stop arguments and take down ratings? Well, Galadriel is a much more powerful version of this situation. Come on, people. Killing Orcs is one thing, straightforward military bragging, like some interminable game of rugby in the Welsh drizzle. But really captivating arguments are the ones that rend the side of good, whether it be the Elves over the Silmarils, the Free Peoples over the rings, or the Elves, Lakemen and Dwarves over Smaug's hoard. This gets even better when Romance is involved. Love triangles. Daeron-Luthien-Beren. Arwen-Aragorn-Eowyn. Aragorn-Eowyn-Faramir.

And Galadriel has had many lovers, all in vain. Feanor, Celebrimbor, Gimli.

Gimli who is still here.

Give that up, and you're really not a judge of good television.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:35 PM   #1099
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
--Pippin
++Merry
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:36 PM   #1100
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Depends what you want out of your television shows.

Personally, I prefer simple, harmless fun to watching some old Elvish bint well past her sell-by date trying desperately to flaunt her stuff for the cameras. She's so transparent. It's clear that she's just in the show to try and get a modelling contract. Whereas Merry and, especially Pippin, have a great future in light entertainment. All hail the next (little) Ant and Dec.

++ GALADRIEL
Old 10-10-2005, 12:37 PM   #1101
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
I was about to defend Galadriel.

Then I remembered that in this perverse game, if you defend someone they get evicted within a couple of days.
That's part of the reason (in addition to my stupid 80 hour a week work schedule) that I've been keeping a low profile. But I couldn't stand back and watch the Lady being maligned so cruelly. I only hope that she'll make it to the final round. One more day after this, if I'm not mistaken?
Old 10-10-2005, 12:38 PM   #1102
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Yes but also good television would dictate that the victor should be a surprise. If Galadriel makes it to the final it's almost certain that she will win. How wonderful would it be if instead of Galadriel or a member of the fellowship we had Hama as our champion. I didn't think that Galadriel would get any support for eviction today but she is behind on her rent payments

--Pippin
++Galadriel
Old 10-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #1103
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
--Merry++Galadriel
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:49 PM   #1104
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I feel suddenly sick.

Eowyn...gone?

I feel very sick indeed.

-- Folwren
Old 10-10-2005, 12:58 PM   #1105
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Oh God. All these blasted television watchers making obscure jokes about celebrities I don't understand. I want the feudal system back, quickly.

There's becoming a real risk that the coward, deserter and arsonist Took might yet escape the net.

Need I dwell on his dallyings with floosies that drove Diamond to drink and drugs despair?

His fast-track finance fraud fiddling as Thain that flooded the Farthing?

His military mousishness, measliness, mercernary maunderings?

No, Downers, I leave it entirely to your good taste. Ensure that the hairy-footed halitosic half-hearted hooligan is shown, ah, what I believe is known as the Red Card...
Old 10-10-2005, 01:00 PM   #1106
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well well well my fine fellows.

So its going to be Eowyn yesterday, Galadriel today?
What was that you said yesterday Saucie
Quote:
Schmail/Schemail. It's not so much the gender of the contestants as their characters and the tribal mix that I am concerned with.
This is a family site so I'll say it in a nice Victorian way: pull the other one, it's got bells on.

You bright, happy, brave and optimistic young girls of the Downs, I hope you're all watching this and seeing what life on this Hither Shore has in store for you....

*shakes head in sorrow, diminishes, departs to West*
Old 10-10-2005, 01:19 PM   #1107
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Wait, Lalaith! Someone slip me a harp...I want to join you as Elrond...

Or should I stay behind and fight the good fight as Celeborn?

Should I stay or should I go? (Not so pop culture unaware after all, eh, eh, you may say...)

You, voters, decide. Strive on beside me and expel Pippin. He's nothing better than a Gollum from a better background...
Old 10-10-2005, 01:22 PM   #1108
WaynetheGoblin
Shade of Carn Dûm

WaynetheGoblin has just left Hobbiton.
--pipin
++galadriel.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:23 PM   #1109
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Flippin' glory supporter...
Old 10-10-2005, 01:46 PM   #1110
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Ah, for an evil smiley.

A toast to conformity.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:53 PM   #1111
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White Tree

Galadriel- 7
Pippin- 6
Hama- 2
Merry- 1
Gimli- 1
Old 10-10-2005, 02:56 PM   #1112
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Et tu, Folwrene?
Old 10-10-2005, 02:59 PM   #1113
Nonnacedak
Animated Skeleton

Nonnacedak has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nonnacedak
++Galadriel

I hope that does it.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:29 PM   #1114
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! GET RID OF HAMA!!!! WE CAN'T LOSE GALADRIEL!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 03:37 PM   #1115
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

That does do it Nonna.

Caiao Madame Galadriel. I guess everyone decided Galadriel needed to go when she delivered her "I will be a QUEEN! Dark Yet beautiful as the Dawn, when I Win!!! Muahahaha!" speech.

Dwarf
Gimli

Hobbits
Merry
Pippin

Man
Hama

Last day until the finale, I shall with-hold my vote incase if we happen to have a double-castaway. So, don't force me make a decision.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:40 PM   #1116
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

This is going to be about as interesting as the Big Brother when that deadly-dull Orkney fisherman won.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:42 PM   #1117
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I have lost all. There is nothing left for me here, nobody worthy of winning !

I do not think i will be posting again any time soon.

My only comfort is that Eowyn got the kick.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 03:44 PM   #1118
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
This is going to be about as interesting as the Big Brother when that deadly-dull Orkney fisherman won.
Come now! A rascally mushroom-thieving Fool of a Took with no sense of risk? A weed-smoking, intelligent, letting-others-take the risks, Hobbit in tweeds? A distraught lover with only three strands of hair as a memory, coupled with an incredibly violent axe? An arrogant Rider, the stickler for the rules, and intent on removing the axe from the Dwarf?

Interesting is the right word to use, and not in a sarcastic sense.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:47 PM   #1119
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe Hobbit Trading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
This is a family site so I'll say it in a nice Victorian way: pull the other one, it's got bells on.
Actually, Lal, I spoke the truth. I liked Eowyn and would have voted to save her had I been here. But Galadriel? She thought that it was a done deal. She thought that she had seen what would yet come to pass. Happily, her Mirror showed her things that were, and things that are, and things that ain't never gonna happen. That's what you get for relying on Magic Mirrors.

Now that there is one in each tribe save the Hobbit Tribe, I shall hold true to my stated aim of maintaining equilibrium. Reluctantly, but dutifully, I shall oblige in the eviction of Merry - but I beseech ye all, every one, please leave Master Peregrine alone. After all that he has been through, the plucky little fella deserves to be in the final.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:52 PM   #1120
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Sorry SpM we diverge here.

I prefer Merry to Pippin

++Pippin