Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2006, 03:02 AM   #1001
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Farael!

There seems to be something like a contradiction to earlier post in your filled save.

In my post (the one before yours) Sythric calls everyone to run away, shouts to be given a bow and tries to get up to fight. I don't know of course how you others reacted to his bellowing, but the situation wasn't quite like you describe it, as you write:
Quote:
The sound of horses, riding towards the camp. There weren’t enough men to resist; the wounded would be easy pray for the easterlings. They could only sit back and wait, and hope that the riders moved along worried about their own business.

PS. I'm having quite full days RL-wise, so I probably won't be writing very actively in couple of days...
Old 05-31-2006, 03:41 AM   #1002
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

SAVE filled

~ U
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 05-31-2006, 08:56 AM   #1003
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Let's bring this section of the RPG to a resolve by day after tomorrow.

At that time, I will leap us forward to Edoras and then each of you may write a final post/epilog as you wish.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:38 AM   #1004
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nogrod,

Could you let me know on this thread or by pm if Sythric is going to recover? I'd like to write my farewell post for the Elves, but can't do that until I know the status of the patients.

It looks as if Brand is showing some improvement (though slow), and I will go ahead on that assumption unless I hear otherwise.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:46 AM   #1005
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Child!

I guess he should survive - as people have been recurrently mentioning that it will depend on his strength to fight the poison. I guess that is the one thing he would have: a man gone through a life of hardship and injuries, his body knows the trade, and he has kept his condition after the rider-years by teaching the youngsters, riding and sporting continually.

Without the elves I probably would have wanted to write him dead. But now I guess it would not be a miracle if he lives after all.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:17 AM   #1006
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Farael!

There seems to be something like a contradiction to earlier post in your filled save.

In my post (the one before yours) Sythric calls everyone to run away, shouts to be given a bow and tries to get up to fight. I don't know of course how you others reacted to his bellowing
Well, Sythric can do what ever he wants to, that doesn't mean Osmod will even pay attention to the ramblings of a fevered old man! No, I don't think there's a contradiction, just different spins on the story.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:32 AM   #1007
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
No, I don't think there's a contradiction, just different spins on the story.
Well, it's not a big deal anyway. And I totally agree with the "different spins"-stuff. That's just right. I just thought it a bit weird that you gave an impression of everyone just sitting back and waiting when someone is kind of shouting and bellowing and calling for action - and making almost lethal effort to get up... (but maybe no one noticed? )
Old 06-02-2006, 09:57 AM   #1008
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Child,

I've left a lead-in for the Elves (or should I say a chance to say goodbye?)
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:14 PM   #1009
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I've responded to Leod, and the Elves have left camp.

I've enjoyed writing with you all, and I look forward to seeing your epilogues.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #1010
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Save Filled.

Undómë, I kind of hope you write a post in response to this last one, but if you don't want to, that's fine. Whatever you wish.

-- Folwren
Old 06-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #1011
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I think I'll save my "strenght" and creativity for the epilogue... whoever writes us leaving camp (Arry, most likely) could you say that Osmod organized the riders and took the lead?
Old 06-05-2006, 01:52 AM   #1012
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Undómë

I placed your post in Arry's 'SAVE'.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-05-2006, 02:45 AM   #1013
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Thanks!!

~ U
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 06-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #1014
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Sorry about myself being away. I had a hard period with the schools' ending but will be having time from now on. I'll check the thread and look if I would have something to fill Arry's save with.

So the elves seem to have been rescuing both Brand and Sythric, but I hope you Arry would take it into consideration that Sythric is not very well - although getting better. I'll try to decide his fate in the closing post...
Old 06-06-2006, 12:27 PM   #1015
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Would it help if Dorran and some of the others helped construct a very sturdy sledge to get Sythric down to Edoras? I could do that in a small post, or Arry could just mention it. That way, you could go either way in the epilogue in terms of Sythric surviving or not, and in what shape.

For that matter, a sledge could also be made for Brand if he cannot sit his horse..
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:30 PM   #1016
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Sythric hates sledges...!

But yes, go ahead. At least I will be able to post some painful memories about the last journey.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:29 PM   #1017
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

When I jump us ahead - it will take into account that we stayed at our present camp for @ 2 weeks, perhaps a little less BEFORE arriving in Edoras. By then, Sythric should be able to travel - yes?

- Arry
Old 06-07-2006, 08:21 AM   #1018
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arry
When I jump us ahead - it will take into account that we stayed at our present camp for @ 2 weeks, perhaps a little less BEFORE arriving in Edoras. By then, Sythric should be able to travel - yes?

- Arry
Surely = Ok.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:43 PM   #1019
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I've written the wrap-up post for the game. The companions have come to Edoras and attempted to speak with the King. As you will see, they are turned away and it is another who has offered them help.

I left them leaving the city, heading toward Lord Sighebert's holdings in the West Emnet, where he is lord of the hill fortress of Hengistham. that is where the people of Wulfham and Bregoware will be directed if they are alive.

You can discuss on this thread what your preference is for the survival or destruction of the villagers. Then go ahead and write your epilogs for your characters.

--Arry
Old 06-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #1020
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Great Arry!! Excellent post, and if I hadn't repped you so recently, I'd do it for that one.

Grima is sick! But I guess he was in the book, too.

Anyway, I've not say in the matter about your guys' villages. I hope they make it safely. I will be writing an epilogue sometime, however. Hopefully everyone else will, too.

Time for dinner!

-- Folwren
Old 06-08-2006, 01:16 AM   #1021
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

So fellow Bregowarians, what do you think has happened to our people? Did they get over the Great River?

Farael, Undömé, what say you?

And surely we need to write the story of our characters riding to search for them?
Old 06-08-2006, 01:59 AM   #1022
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

To be quite honest, I don't want to write about how the Bregos went searching for their village.

We have only 1 post apiece now left to go before the game is done. I intend my epilog to be about 2 years in the future from Arry's last post.

I would prefer that the Bregowarians arrive safely for the most part at Hengistham. I can, though, write it either way.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:55 AM   #1023
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undómë
To be quite honest, I don't want to write about how the Bregos went searching for their village.

We have only 1 post apiece now left to go before the game is done. I intend my epilog to be about 2 years in the future from Arry's last post.
I'm not insisting on anyone writing anything they don't want to, but I thought we should have similar ideas about what has happened so that we don't contradict each others last posts.

Surely I have nothing against the village being somewhat safe.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #1024
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

My last post will not cover the trip from Edoras to Hengistham. Meghan will have stayed in Hengistham until the villagers arrive there safely as "Theodred" suggested. - so she will not have ridden out to find them.

My epilog post for Meghan will be about what is happening in her life 2 years after the arrival in Hengistham. It will be late summer of 3019 - in August after the funeral for Theoden in Edoras.

Last edited by Undómë; 06-08-2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:36 AM   #1025
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arry - I really like your ending post. It's likely what would have happened!

My preference is that most of the people in Wulfham survive the journey and make it to Edoras and then on to a place of safety. (Of course, a few would likely have been killed on the road due to hardships, and there might have been some "close escapes".) If Arry or someone else prefers a different ending, I would request that Dorran's sister Creide not die because I may use her in another RPG. After the war, I think some Wulfhamites realistically would go back to restart the village, while others would venture elsewhere (kind of like what is happening with New Orleans).

I prefer to do personal epilogs for my characters, but I'd have no trouble weaving this history into Dorran's post (in 2-3 sentences) if that is needed. I am thinking of taking Dorran about 10 years ahead. Dorran will likely join the Riders and, shortly after the war, end up as part of Eomer's household.

Leod will become a "teacher of healers". He will start that even in the refuge to which they are fleeing. (It is a bit much for the poor fellow to go out with the Riders.) If any of your characters are interested in getting training as a healer, you are welcome to mention in your post that you received such training from Leod .

I still have one or two things I need to coordinate with another poster, and I am working on that. Then I'll put up my epilog.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:12 PM   #1026
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Do we have a preferred deadline Arry?

I would have time to write my last post on Saturday. That ok?

Farael: What do you think, would Osmod have gotten with Sythric to search for the Bregowarian refugees? I think it could be a reasonable thing to do (and no one going alone). I won't be writing a novel about that trip, but could mention the search for the village in it.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:15 PM   #1027
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Tevildo

Thanks!

I had not intended the villagers to actually come to Edoras, since I don't recall that being mentioned in the books - that outlying villages came into the King's city.

Instead - I'd like them to be taken in to a fictional hill fortress in the West Emnet - Hengistham, the lord of said place being Sighebert. And I would like most of the Wulfham villagers to make it to the safety of this fortress.

Last edited by Arry; 06-08-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #1028
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

About Epilogs

They should be on board by June 24th - at that time I will ask Pio to move the game to Elvenhome.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #1029
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arry,

Yes, Sighebert's fortress is fine as well as the fact that the villagers survived.

I'll start working on my post.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #1030
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I have a question. How long is it until the Wulfhamers arrive at Hengistham? A fortnight after our company gets there? Longer? Less time?

-- Folwren
Old 06-09-2006, 07:37 PM   #1031
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
I have a question. How long is it until the Wulfhamers arrive at Hengistham? A fortnight after our company gets there? Longer? Less time?
If they are just refugees trying to find a shelter somewhere, they probably won't be driving to Hengistham just like that? How could they just hunch it like that if it was "a gift" of generosity by a good-hearted lord in Edoras? They (and Bregowarians too) would probably try first Croacht. But that might be overpopulated if all the villages from the east are on the move... The Wolfhamers might have been there early enough to fit in, but at least the Bregowarians would have had so long a journey, that it should be quite full by the time they reached it? That's why I thought it important to mention the searching for the villages (Wulfham & Bregoware) by our characters after having the promise that they could all come to Hengisthan.

But someone more at home with the map could come up with a calculation where they could be and where Hengistham is in the first place. That would help a lot.

My post will probably have a short description of a Bregoware group (not including Meghan based on Undómë's will) going to search all the refugees around the eastern Rohan for the Bregowarians, finding them and settling for a while in Hengistham. I'm still waiting for Farael for a comfirmation about this.

But have you any ideas how the Bregowarians (or Wulfhamers) would settle after the initial run-away? The war of the rings is coming, but would they know it? Would they try to re-settle their homelands or not in the beginning? And if not, where would they be re-settled?
Old 06-09-2006, 08:44 PM   #1032
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I thought that Brand and his group and Osmod and his group had set off from home as forerunners of their villages. The main body of people were to travel after them, more slowly, is this not correct? If that's the case, in a little while, they'll reach Edoras, recieve the same, cold welcome from the King and they'll have to be taken somewhere. Not everyone, necessarily, will fit into the walls of Hengistham, but they can at least go to that area and settle down around it until they can return to their home (not for another several months, after the war is over). Many of the men may leave to join the Kings army when he either goes to Helm's Deep, or when he comes through Edoras a second time on his way to Gondor. The women and children will be left in and around Edoras. . .am I not correct in thinking this?

And, really, all this may be very incorrect. I'm tired and have had a long day, and I thought that the villages were going to be following the smaller companies towards Edoras.

-- Folwren
Old 06-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #1033
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The villages were headed toward Edoras; that was their original plan. They still think the King is his own man. They know nothing of Grima and his influence on Théoden.

The villages were not taking the same route as the riders - they were moving east and a little southward in their route and moving very slowly - carts, flocks and most afoot.

Please read my last post. Théodred and his men will see to it that they (both villages) are intercepted and escorted to Hengistham, whose lord Sighebert is NOT under the influence of Grima. Théodred will divert the 2 villages from their path toward Edoras. He is well aware that his Father will most likely not allow the villages to entreat him to be taken under his protection. So, Théodred will take them to one of the lords who will see to the protection of fellow Men of the Mark.

Hengistham is a hill fortress as is Edoras - there is much land (rolling plains) about it which is farmed and used for raising horses. There will be room for the small villages of Bregoware and Wulfham to set up a rude camp about the foot of the grassy hill where Sighebert has his home and mead hall. He may even welcome the addition of more Riders to swell the ranks of his own defensive troops. When war comes to Rohan from Isengard I don't think that Hengistham will be hit. It lies about 2 1/2 - 3 days ride north of Edoras, It will not be in the path of the attacking army of Saruman.

---------

This game is set in the late autumn of the year 3017 III Age. Grima has been 'advising' Théoden,now, since 3014 III Age.

In 2 years, 3019 III Age, Théodred will be slain by Saruman's forces at the First Battle of the Isen. About 5 days later, will be when Gandalf comes to see Théoden along with Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas

I doubt the Villages understand at present that a big war is coming, but they do understand that something has stirred up the foes of the Free Peoples and is trying to kill them off little by little.

---------

How about I say that it will be about 2 weeks after the companions arrive at Hengistham, perhaps just a little more before the 2 Villages arrive at Hengistham. That way - if Sythric and Osmod wish, they can ride out to join with them as they march in. There should be some sort of news come to Hengistham that a large group of refugees is heading their way under the protection of Théodred. And let's assume for our purposes that Théodred has sent word or already spoken with Sighebert about the refugees arrival and that Sighebert has said yes.

Can everyone please try to make this work for them. And honestly it should not be a problem if you skip far enough ahead for your Epilog - which should deal primarily with what your character is doing in some future year of your choice.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:40 AM   #1034
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arry
Can everyone please try to make this work for them. And honestly it should not be a problem if you skip far enough ahead for your Epilog - which should deal primarily with what your character is doing in some future year of your choice.
No problem. Sorry, I seem to be able to make a mountain out of a molehill everytime I just ask a question about some detail that seem to me to be a bit odd...

I try to post mine today - tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:32 AM   #1035
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I've been planning my last post and would like to enquire you about certain points.

Bregowarians: Is it ok with you if I write that the Bregos have been attacked once during their journey? It would have been a small band of orcs at the ferry making a "hit and run"-attack, targeting the children, the women and the elderly. I would need that kind of twist in my narration. I came up with a death-tally of 11 Bregos, but that might be anything else too.

Arry: Can I assume that the general "call to arms" will reach Hengistham too, and that all the riders will be called? That would include Sythric - and he should surely ride to the Pelennor Fields. I think his story could actually end there...
Old 06-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #1036
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh. Oh my. We're farther off from when the Riders goes off to war than I thought. Well, I'm glad you told us. Thanks for putting up the time line type thing, Arry. I'll use it and will work on my post. I will probably not have it up on the thread until next weekend, though, because I'm going to be leaving home Monday morning. But I promise I'll have it up before June 24!!

-- Folwren
Old 06-10-2006, 10:06 AM   #1037
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Bregowarians: Is it ok with you if I write that the Bregos have been attacked once during their journey? It would have been a small band of orcs at the ferry making a "hit and run"-attack, targeting the children, the women and the elderly. I would need that kind of twist in my narration. I came up with a death-tally of 11 Bregos, but that might be anything else too.
I don't know about that... you'll have to ask Undome. Also, Osmod will not go around looking for the village as, Arry said, Theodred would have directed them to where they were anyway.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:38 AM   #1038
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

For anyone who wants the information - Athwen is going to be staying at Hengistham from now until the end of the war. I don't know what people are planning to do in their posts, where they're going to be, or what other character info they'll need to write their posts, but I didn't think it'd do anyone any harm to know where my character was.

-- Folwren
Old 06-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #1039
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
I don't know about that... you'll have to ask Undome. Also, Osmod will not go around looking for the village as, Arry said, Theodred would have directed them to where they were anyway.
Well Undómë said Meghan will not venture to meet the Bregos either. That's clear now. But maybe I could write our now-NPCs to go with Sythric - or he might go alone as well? That might even be more like him at the situation. He's just menaced to see his children alive and well that he just can't sit and wait. And now you may see why I need the little skirmish with the orcs during the Brego-village's journey...
Old 06-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #1040
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Arry: Can I assume that the general "call to arms" will reach Hengistham too, and that all the riders will be called? That would include Sythric - and he should surely ride to the Pelennor Fields. I think his story could actually end there...
I would imagine that that would be fine; especially since Sythric is an experienced Rider.

And yes – you may use all the characters whose writers have gone absent – “Fion” and “Eostre” (Eowyn Skywalker has not posted to the game or RPG since March 9th)

I think it will be fine, too, to have an attack on the Bregoware villagers – as long as none of Osmod’s or Meghan’s family are killed (they can handle that themselves if they want to).