The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-21-2005, 09:31 PM   #801
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Yep, Ka, I only learned about 30 seconds ago that you're female. Sorry 'bout that mate.
The...KA...is...a...female...?
*slaps forehead*
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:18 PM   #802
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
hmm...

Quote:
Oh dear. Allow me to incorporate my prior imaginings of THE Ka:

THE Ka was remarkably tall and slender, with hair blacker than coal, shiny and straight, but rather short. THE Ka's eyes were also black, causing the instant second glance of any passers-by. THE Ka's skin was a well tanned gold, and THE Ka wore a rather large amount of gold jewelry.

I'm sure the image this portrays is not that bad, but wait until I get to the next part:

THE Ka tended to be surrounded by his many admirers, slaves, and typists.

Yep, Ka, I only learned about 30 seconds ago that you're female. Sorry 'bout that mate.

Fea
Eh! I sound like some Melkor-look-alike! ( I think i'm going to cry...That's how bad I feel...)
I'm only going to comment on a few. One, I haven't seen a sunny or tanning day in a long, long time... Two, I hate gold and the colour. Three, I could never bring myself to have someone known as a 'slave'... It would find conflict with my morals too easily. In other words, I do all of the toils me, myself, and I and I love equality. I don't think I could survive knowing that I 'own' someone.

Typist? I'm not sure about... Admirers, I really don't know any. I'm not a social creature. My art I guess is though, but, it never leaves the confines of my bookcase or home. Though maybe through a friend, because I give most of it away.

Who told you that i'm female? I'm curious...

~Ka~
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 07:52 AM   #803
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka
Ehk! Ford...Bad...
Hang on, I have a Ford! Well, yes, they aren't 'cool' perhaps but I can stuff loads of rubbish in it and it's cheap(er) to get repairs done. I can be practical sometimes...

THE Ka - she has mad curly hair, which is dark. But she tries to make it straight. She doesn't care for fashion that much, but she has her own look. She wears lots of bracelets and owns a pair of Doc Martens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
I would like to put a different slant on this one please, and tell you how I imagine myself. I am tall, dark and handsome (yeh, a bit like Aragorn). I have shiny long black hair (yeh, a bit like Aragorn). I am athletic and powerful (yeh, a bit like Aragorn). I ooze sexiness(yeh, a bit like Aragorn), well I do now they have taken all my mirrors away in my asylum.
Contrary to his imaginings, narfforc walks with a permanent lean due to the excesses of the Irish Sea wind whipping in across the Fylde, a lean which is accentuated when he has drunk too many pints of Pendle Witches' Brew.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:59 AM   #804
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Hang on, I have a Ford! Well, yes, they aren't 'cool' perhaps but I can stuff loads of rubbish in it and it's cheap(er) to get repairs done. I can be practical sometimes...

THE Ka - she has mad curly hair, which is dark. But she tries to make it straight. She doesn't care for fashion that much, but she has her own look. She wears lots of bracelets and owns a pair of Doc Martens.

Contrary to his imaginings, narfforc walks with a permanent lean due to the excesses of the Irish Sea wind whipping in across the Fylde, a lean which is accentuated when he has drunk too many pints of Pendle Witches' Brew.
Sorry about the car, i just don't like fords... They haven't helped me at all in my life.

I love the descripition. One thing I wish to correct, I don't have any bracelets but I do like them.

~Ka
Old 01-22-2005, 11:52 AM   #805
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Altogether Too Much...

Quote:
Here's another Ford owner! It was the biggest car I could afford, and I need a big car (mainly to put all my junk in...) I have actually crash tested one as well! I am happy to say that it performed impeccably! After all, if it had not, no one would know of Lyta Underhill except perhaps those hanging out in the hereafter...wait, that's everyone here, isn't it?

Quote:
THE Ka was remarkably tall and slender, with hair blacker than coal, shiny and straight, but rather short. THE Ka's eyes were also black, causing the instant second glance of any passers-by. THE Ka's skin was a well tanned gold, and THE Ka wore a rather large amount of gold jewelry.
Actually sounds like a real artistic conception of ancient Egypt to me! Perhaps it is the name! Strangely enough, I always imagine The Ka as a younger version of me, the same drive to be weird and creative and all! My memory is hazy after that...probably Ka is pulling it off better than I did!

And I somehow imagine Lalwendë as looking like a member of the Took clan, although with the quick wit and deep knowledge of Bilbo (that avatar IS apt!). I see midlength wavy blondish or reddish hair and a pixieish smile to go with her equally playful wit, and not quite 5'9", perhaps more like 5'2"!

One final note...it is good to see so many fans of Jethro Tull gathered here! I have had the pleasure of seeing them in concert twice, and the last time (early 90's), they had a whole living room set up on stage, to which they invited the prettiest girls to sit while Ian Anderson serenaded them...it was lovely! And they, of course, played lots of old favorites! (Did I mention I like to do housework to "Thick as a Brick?"

And before anyone tries to imagine what I look like, I am Carrie Fisher's lost twin (or was!).

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:59 PM   #806
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Quote:
Who told you that i'm female? I'm curious...
elronds_daughter did it.

Quote:
Anywhee, I nearly always see THE Ka as her avatar.
See?

Quote:
Actually sounds like a real artistic conception of ancient Egypt to me! Perhaps it is the name!
Lyta gets a Feanorian Bonus Point (very shiny, and guaranteed to cause extreme jealousy of those who haven't got one) for hitting the nail on the head right there.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:13 PM   #807
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Quote:
Lyta gets a Feanorian Bonus Point (very shiny, and guaranteed to cause extreme jealousy of those who haven't got one) for hitting the nail on the head right there.
Ooh, a Fëanorian Bonus Point! Thanks Fëa! I've never had one before! I wonder if I wear it on my forehead if I can see the Uttermost West? I suppose it is best not to meddle in something beyond the art I possess! It does look nice with my Princess Leia dress, though!

Cheers!
Lyta

P.S. I know how avatars can become the image of the poster indeed! It is impossible to see Eomer of the Rohirrim and Boromir88 as anything but Karl Urban and Sean Bean! And Fordim--I'll bet he looks just like that little dog!

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”

Last edited by Lyta_Underhill; 01-22-2005 at 04:16 PM. Reason: gotta get that emoticon just right...
Old 01-22-2005, 04:50 PM   #808
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Everyone imagines me as blonde. I am thinking about dying it for a laugh...

And Fea, I am pleased to see that you prefixed those points with 'Feanorian'. Tell me dear, whoever did you get that idea from?

Did you know that you have moved down to second in the bonus points hunt? It's true. Hookbill has overtaken ye.

So as to make this post slightly relevant, I imagine Lyta as the wearer of frilly pink dresses. Elennar is apparently not: she was my first guess. And we all know that the Downs must have a wearer of frilly pink dresses.

Hookbill the Goomba sits in a darkened room treasuring his bonus points. He has been there for weeks and weeks so his hair is quite long and unkempt, and his eyes are bloodshot.

I will not bother reminding the rest of you what Fea looks like; I already pinned her down on page 4 of this thread. *don't hit me*
Old 01-22-2005, 05:21 PM   #809
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Pink Frilly Militaria Wearer of the Downs...

Quote:
So as to make this post slightly relevant, I imagine Lyta as the wearer of frilly pink dresses.
Eomer, that was such an outlandish thing to say, I must believe it is a hearty joke! I think I'd only wear pink frilly dresses if they had cargo pockets and were made by Sturm...and only if they went with the Enfield #1 Mk. 3 rifle I happen to wear as a fashion accessory! Great guess...WAY off!

Cheers!
Lyta
Old 01-22-2005, 06:13 PM   #810
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim

And Fea, I am pleased to see that you prefixed those points with 'Feanorian'. Tell me dear, whoever did you get that idea from?

Did you know that you have moved down to second in the bonus points hunt? It's true. Hookbill has overtaken ye.

So as to make this post slightly relevant, I imagine Lyta as the wearer of frilly pink dresses. Elennar is apparently not: she was my first guess. And we all know that the Downs must have a wearer of frilly pink dresses.

Hookbill the Goomba sits in a darkened room treasuring his bonus points. He has been there for weeks and weeks so his hair is quite long and unkempt, and his eyes are bloodshot.

I will not bother reminding the rest of you what Fea looks like; I already pinned her down on page 4 of this thread. *don't hit me*
I know, dear kilted friend... But I cannot for the life of me remember the thread in which the bonus points originated. And I'd forgotten that Eomer has me nicely pinned... Cartwheels in a field and a big creepy dungeon. But for all of you with poor memories, he dictates all of his posts to his guard, Biff, as Eomer is inconveniently straight-jacketed and shackled in the corner of his big padded room.

Fea
Old 01-22-2005, 08:10 PM   #811
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyta_Underhill
And Fordim--I'll bet he looks just like that little dog!

I am that little dog.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:17 PM   #812
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Grrr... that means you're cuter than I am. Curse you, Fordim.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:32 PM   #813
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
I am that little dog.
Then you by far are the Eros of the downs...Pugs are the cutest creatures!
Old 01-22-2005, 08:43 PM   #814
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crayola...

Quote:
Actually sounds like a real artistic conception of ancient Egypt to me! Perhaps it is the name! Strangely enough, I always imagine The Ka as a younger version of me, the same drive to be weird and creative and all! My memory is hazy after that...probably Ka is pulling it off better than I did!
(Quote by Lyta, the forgetful artisian)

I like yours and earlier descriptions...I think I'll keep them. And you are right on about memory, friends mock me as an elephant...I don't like it though. I really don't have a drive to be 'different', I think society just doesn't like quiet people who memorize the colours of crayola*...

* Besides disease and medical maladies, I used to try to remember the colours off of the sides of crayons... It's easier then to find them again when they've gone missing in the bottom of the art bin.

~Ka
Old 01-22-2005, 11:36 PM   #815
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
From Eomer of the Rohirrim:
Quote:
Even though I've seen a number of pictures of Lush, I still suspect her of being our wearer of frilly pink dresses.

From the phantom:
Quote:
Grrr... that means you're cuter than I am. Curse you, Fordim.
Oh, I suppose quite a few people are, Phantom... *angelic*

I can't help but imagine Squatter in birkenstocks.

Mithalwen is tall and grey-eyed like a proper elf, and not at all blonde or anemic like PJ's version.

littlemanpoet dresses like a medieval bard. Must be the avatar influencing that one...
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:25 AM   #816
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
elronds_daughter did it.

...Whups. Now she has to kill you.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:40 AM   #817
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I drink orc-brew in the form of Theakstons Old Peculiar, this aids my imagination when I find a mirror and see Aragorn staring back at me (I do have to drink quite a bit of it to get that result though). I am not very good at imagining what everyone else looks like, other than they must be better looking than me, well I am an half-orc.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:18 AM   #818
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
I am that little dog.

i take it that your anti-diaper...
Old 01-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #819
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim

I don't

http://www.pfd.co.uk/scripts/get.py/...ters%20OLIVERN

I said a taller younger version of this

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:11 PM   #820
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia the Thunder Mistress

Mithalwen is tall and grey-eyed like a proper elf, and not at all blonde or anemic like PJ's version.

Tall - yes

Grey eyes - hmmm yes - ish but very light coloured greeny-grey - sounds a bit like gollum! Generally a bit short of pigment so I am pale but not anaemic looking - normally have a bit of colour....

blonde - sometimes but not that blonde..... well only when ~I was a toddler - then I got darker and rustier ending up almost Titian - now ... well I started going grey at about 17 and so now it is what ever takes my fancy on the red-gold continuum.... usually redder in the winter ..blonder in the summer.....

If I didn't work in places that tend to have a strict dress codes I would dye it pink. I did it temporarily a year ago for a "pretty in pink" charity day and I loved it (and I won a bottle of champagne). But I am not the wearer of pink frilly dresses. I do wear pink, but usually with black. I am not a frilly person. And I would look like a big pink meringue. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

Old 01-23-2005, 12:34 PM   #821
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Mithalwen, that Neil Oliver chap certainly has a better tan than I do.

*Eomer shivers in the Scottish frost*

But it's certainly not the worst likeness of me. Though it is true I look a lot younger. And my hair is curly and a lot messier - in a stylish way of course!

Isn't that right Biff?
Old 01-23-2005, 01:17 PM   #822
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Quote:
Sophia: Even though I've seen a number of pictures of Lush, I still suspect her of being our wearer of frilly pink dresses.
I think Lush is a more reasonable suspect for the role of pink frilly dress wearer! At least I'm pretty sure she has worn a dress more recently than I have! (and I was just kidding about the Princess Leia dress--I don't have one. )It would have to have cargo pockets if I were to wear it though! I absolutely HATE carrying a purse!

Quote:
Eomer: Everyone imagines me as blonde. I am thinking about dying it for a laugh...
Oddly enough, I still often see Karl Urban as dark haired, having gotten used to him as Julius Caesar in Xena: Warrior Princess long before LOTR! (Incidentally, I still call Marton Csokas "Borias" for the same reason. Same accent, too!)

Quote:
Ka: * Besides disease and medical maladies, I used to try to remember the colours off of the sides of crayons... It's easier then to find them again when they've gone missing in the bottom of the art bin.
At least you have an art bin! I couldn't find an art bin in here if I had ten people looking! I spent my childhood memorizing Spock's serial number, the order, title and number of all the Star Trek episodes, the fact that Walter Koenig (Chekov) was first generation Lithuanian, that Kirk and Spock were both Jewish, that Leonard Nimoy picked up the "Live Long and Prosper" hand gesture from surrepitiously observing Jewish rituals, that there's a reason Mr. Sulu was born in San Francisco...etc.etc. , but that's neither here nor there! (I just wanted to show off...)

Quote:
Fordim: I am that little dog.
How do you type on a keyboard without opposable thumbs? Or is your keyboard simply a couple of paw-shaped keys and a mind-reading circuit?

Quote:
narfforc: I drink orc-brew in the form of Theakstons Old Peculiar, this aids my imagination when I find a mirror and see Aragorn staring back at me (I do have to drink quite a bit of it to get that result though).
Interestingly enough, I had to do this with various other concoctions in order to determine I looked like Carrie Fisher! I always wake up looking like Janeane Garofalo, though... *snerk* Maybe you are a Dun-Uruk? (is that a word?)

And for my final entry and to make this post relevant at all, was is mark12_30 who put the jawa image in my head? Because now I can't see The Phantom as anything else!

Cheers!
Lyta

P.S. Ka, I noticed you had changed your avatar again...is it an identity crisis, or were there simply "too many notes?" heh heh...I've watched "Amadeus" probably 75 times! Cheers!

Last edited by Lyta_Underhill; 01-23-2005 at 01:20 PM. Reason: a P.S.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:19 PM   #823
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elronds_daughter
narfforc, I will believe that when I see it.

Anywhee, I nearly always see THE Ka as her avatar. No matter how much she changes it. Sometimes I catch a glimpse of a gal with light brown hair and grey eyes, about 5'7".

Nice try. Pay 25 cents to begin again...

~Wither to wonder Ka~
Old 01-23-2005, 01:21 PM   #824
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
How do you type on a keyboard without opposable thumbs? Or is your keyboard simply a couple of paw-shaped keys and a mind-reading circuit?

Lyta
Concept keyboard with paw sized keys ? Voice -I mean bark recognition?

Old 01-23-2005, 03:41 PM   #825
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
And I somehow imagine Lalwendë as looking like a member of the Took clan, although with the quick wit and deep knowledge of Bilbo (that avatar IS apt!). I see midlength wavy blondish or reddish hair and a pixieish smile to go with her equally playful wit, and not quite 5'9", perhaps more like 5'2"!
Heh, that's quite like me. Though I only have blonde hair when I create my sci-fi alter-ego as I did a couple of hours ago. It is red and tangled normally. But the pixies are mostly in my head.

Quote:
I think society just doesn't like quiet people who memorize the colours of crayola*...
Quote:
I spent my childhood memorizing Spock's serial number, the order, title and number of all the Star Trek episodes, the fact that Walter Koenig (Chekov) was first generation Lithuanian, that Kirk and Spock were both Jewish, that Leonard Nimoy picked up the "Live Long and Prosper" hand gesture from surrepitiously observing Jewish rituals, that there's a reason Mr. Sulu was born in San Francisco...etc.etc.
I used to do things like that. I memorised the entire list of British monarchs from 1066 onwards, including Scots ones, and the years they reigned. Then I went on to learn the periodic table. I also had memorised every number one single from 1962 onwards. And I used to name objects after famous artists and scientists. Then I discovered Tolkien and had an excuse to do this kind of thing.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:42 PM   #826
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Mithalwen is an elf, and that is that. She's got silvery hair (which does not mean grey, just... silvery) and she wears pretty dresses.

Since no one can seem to describe ka properly, I will say that she is indeed a disembodied spirit.

Ah, lyta is a bit of a Star Trek fan, I see! Excellent taste.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 05:09 PM   #827
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ah! You got me! How did you know?!

I'll have to agree, Mithalwen is one of elven race. Though, her hair colour is either silver or black. Mithalwen, the name in general, doesn't conjure a blonde-headed elve.

~Ka
Old 01-23-2005, 05:41 PM   #828
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
...Whups. Now she has to kill you.
<gasp!> Did I let slip that confidential information? Oh, no!

[If you couldn't tell, that was all sarcasm]

Yes, thank you Cecilia, that's enough of that. <mutters> Alter egos can be so irritating...

[Who's irritating? I'm not irritating]

Oh, yes you are. But let's not argue in front of everybody. Shut up.

[All right, fine]
Old 01-23-2005, 06:07 PM   #829
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

So much for being a 'secret agent' there E_D...

~A watching Ka~

Last edited by THE Ka; 01-23-2005 at 06:08 PM. Reason: The usual...Over the rocks...
Old 01-23-2005, 06:14 PM   #830
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Quote:
So much for being a 'secret agent' there E_D...
You can't really blame E_D... it's my own incredible brilliance that is the blame. There's really just no way to stump me, or to keep things from me. If it catches my interest, I will know.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:10 PM   #831
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

I don't think alter-egos are irritating, Gollum gollum. And I don't think you should be so rude to Cecelia.

Cecelia has, I think, a lovely cascade of red, curling hair that flies in the (always) tempestuous wind; and she crisscrosses the land, from the temples to the marketplaces crying out prophecies of doom just like Mandos. But nobody listens. Poor Cecelia.

Zounds-- wrong myth; that's Cassandra.

But in that case-- who's this Cecelia??? And why does she have long, cascading red hair??? Tut tut; no red hair allowed in Middle Earth; it's not canon. Out you go!

Such a breach of protocol... A redhead in Middle-Earth. Is nothing sacred? elronds_daughter, I'm shocked you would allow it. Shocked.

Last edited by mark12_30; 01-23-2005 at 07:14 PM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:02 AM   #832
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Quote:
And why does she have long, cascading red hair??? Tut tut; no red hair allowed in Middle Earth; it's not canon. Out you go!
I'm sure I'm missing something vitally important here, but someone tell Maedhros to go dye his hair before the rulemakers of Middle Earth find out!
Quote:
I used to do things like that. I memorised the entire list of British monarchs from 1066 onwards, including Scots ones, and the years they reigned. Then I went on to learn the periodic table.
Ah, useful hobbies! Did you know that the first thing I had to do upon entering a graduate chemistry class was to memorize the periodic table? I had never done that before...seems you would breeze through it, Lalwendë!
Quote:
I also had memorised every number one single from 1962 onwards. And I used to name objects after famous artists and scientists.
Did your list happen to begin with Love Me Do? (Or was that 1963? I'm a bit rusty...) And the only case I can recall of having named something after a famous artist was a cat I dissected in Biology class--his name was Voltaire...heh heh...I couldn't talk to him. Cat French is worse than my French! OK, now I'm getting weird, so I'll sign off!

Cheers!
Lyta

P.S. S179276SP is Spock's serial number...why do I remember this and forget Boyle's Law?
Old 01-24-2005, 03:35 AM   #833
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
And the only case I can recall of having named something after a famous artist was a cat I dissected in Biology class--his name was Voltaire...heh heh...I couldn't talk to him.
You dissected a cat? I now have this tremendous urge to go home again and protectively cuddle my feline children! *very disturbed*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark 12_30
I don't think alter-egos are irritating, Gollum gollum
Are we guessing alter-egos now? I'm done for then, as it's hard enough trying to guess people's real selves! Everyone should have at least one alter-ego though.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:30 AM   #834
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Only if you want to, Lalwende. But this whole thread feels like describing alter-egos to me, since everybody is truly a combination of their screenname, avatar, and location. All this real-life stuff is just a disguise. A distraction. A fantasy. That's it, a fantasy.

Quote:
P.S. S179276SP is Spock's serial number...why do I remember this and forget Boyle's Law?
Golly, Lyta_Underhill, you just morphed! Now I see you (or is it your alter-ego?) as my bandleader, from way-back in 1995... he frequently said, "If I could delete the second and third verses of all the sixties songs I know and then run defrag on my brain, I might have room for 'important' things."

Yep, Lyta is now a regional bakery-manager for a large chain; tall, sizeable and dark, with goofy black glasses, short tousled dark hair, a goofy sense of humor and a deep abiding loyalty to Buddy Holly. But boy, can she wail on that Gibson. There she goes, burning up the fretboard again! Go, Lyta, go!

Last edited by mark12_30; 01-24-2005 at 05:35 AM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:42 AM   #835
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
Mithalwen is an elf, and that is that. She's got silvery hair (which does not mean grey, just... silvery) and she wears pretty dresses.
LOL.... I missed out on the elegance and I certainly don't look androgynous but WOW ...... where do I get my pointy ears?

Old 01-24-2005, 09:26 AM   #836
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
So much for being a 'secret agent' there, E_D.
Ka, I'm retired. As of now. I'm getting too old for this sort of thing... Nearly 100, you know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
I don't think alter-egos are irritating, Gollum gollum. And I don't think you should be so rude to Cecelia.

Cecelia has, I think, a lovely cascade of red, curling hair that flies in the (always) tempestuous wind; and she crisscrosses the land, from the temples to the marketplaces crying out prophecies of doom just like Mandos. But nobody listens. Poor Cecelia.

Zounds-- wrong myth; that's Cassandra.

But in that case-- who's this Cecelia??? And why does she have long, cascading red hair??? Tut tut; no red hair allowed in Middle Earth; it's not canon. Out you go!

Such a breach of protocol... A redhead in Middle-Earth. Is nothing sacred? elronds_daughter, I'm shocked you would allow it. Shocked.
Oh, but alter-egos are irritating... If you only knew what she does to me... But have no fear, Cecilia does not have red hair. She merely looks like a very girly version of myself... Which in itself is a very disturbing thought. She wears pink (a color which I make it a big point to avoid) altogether too much... Yipe!
Old 01-24-2005, 09:28 AM   #837
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Quote:
Yep, Lyta is now a regional bakery-manager for a large chain; tall, sizeable and dark, with goofy black glasses, short tousled dark hair, a goofy sense of humor and a deep abiding loyalty to Buddy Holly. But boy, can she wail on that Gibson. There she goes, burning up the fretboard again! Go, Lyta, go!
I think the only way I could burn up a fretboard is by setting it on fire...literally. Actually, in my former life I was a Beatlemaniac and attempted to burn up a keyboard, mostly with Beethoven...hmmm....dark, tousled hair...that's it! I'm Beethoven! (NOT the dog!) And I have the hearing impairment to go with it! Can't play nearly as well, though...and the bakery manager thing is right out! I'd eat the profits! (I did mention I am a hobbit, right?)

Quote:
You dissected a cat? I now have this tremendous urge to go home again and protectively cuddle my feline children! *very disturbed*
Sorry, Lalwendë, but, yes, I really dissected a cat. But it was 1984; the statute of limitations has long run out! *convinces self dubiously* And it was long dead before it got to me! Plus, I figure some of the folks who end up wielding the scalpel in Biology class will end up as veterinarians to treat the cats, dogs, horses and rats of the world! (Yes, I include rats because I have nine of them, and they are horribly cute! Don't send your cats after them, please now, Lalwendë!)

Quote:
LOL.... I missed out on the elegance and I certainly don't look androgynous but WOW ...... where do I get my pointy ears?
Well, you didn't naysay the dresses, Mithalwen; perhaps you are now our official Barrow Downs Wearer of the Pink Frilly Dresses! If you ever wear dresses, you're more qualified than me!

Also, lately I couldn't help but notice the short, playful and almost Zenlike posts appearing all over from mark12_30, who, I think, has taken the art of brevity and peeled it off nicely from its stigma of taciturnity. So now I see her with dancing blue eyes that never miss anything! She's the Zen master but also the Laughing Buddha...with hobbit feet. I can't forget to mention that!

Cheers!
Lyta (who doesn't currently wear ANY glasses unless absolutely necessary, i.e., twice a year or so. Is there a group for hard of hearing hobbits? I don't think I qualify as a nearsighted elf!)

P.S. A late entry...I think elronds_daughter may be our frilly pink dress wearer! Congratulations!

Last edited by Lyta_Underhill; 01-24-2005 at 09:30 AM. Reason: A late entry
Old 01-24-2005, 06:08 PM   #838
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
You can't really blame E_D... it's my own incredible brilliance that is the blame. There's really just no way to stump me, or to keep things from me. If it catches my interest, I will know.
Oh, you're such a Leo!!!

Keep it up and I might have to stalk you...

~Calcutative Ka~
Old 01-24-2005, 06:16 PM   #839
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I figure some of the folks who end up wielding the scalpel in Biology class will end up as veterinarians to treat the cats, dogs, horses and rats of the world! (Yes, I include rats because I have nine of them, and they are horribly cute! Don't send your cats after them, please now, Lalwendë!)
My friend has wanted to have rats, for a really long time. The only problem is, I really don't know what to give along with a rat for their b-day... You know, houses, toys, food, pet care books, toys. My cousin had rats for awhile and I agree, they are too cute. I loved how we would put them in this tube trail that ran throughout the house and they would follow you where ever you went. Quite clever.

~Ka
Old 01-24-2005, 06:25 PM   #840
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Quote:
Also, lately I couldn't help but notice the short, playful and almost Zenlike posts appearing all over from mark12_30, who, I think, has taken the art of brevity and peeled it off nicely from its stigma of taciturnity. So now I see her with dancing blue eyes that never miss anything! She's the Zen master but also the Laughing Buddha...with hobbit feet. I can't forget to mention that!
I've noticed it too... she's like "nice obloquy" or "nice burra" lately. There was a particularly witty and humorous line in my reps the other day... Perhaps she's like our Ghost of Christmas Present, all wrapped in a big red velvet robe with small words of wisdom and cheer for all. Maybe she even has a wreath of holly on her head?
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote