The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-29-2003, 08:59 AM   #41
Sword Maiden Of The Shire
Animated Skeleton

Sword Maiden Of The Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A couple of people in my class give me a hard time about LOTR, but they just do it good heartedly. Anyway, some of the things they say are funny *ducks flying objects*. Like, one of my friends, she's LOTR obssesed too, said if she were Frodo, she'd walk right up to the Eye Of Sauron and cut an onion in front of it [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Can you imagine?

SAURON: *Sniffle* OK OK I give *sniff* just stop, please!
Sword Maiden Of The Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 11:02 AM   #42
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*giggles* I love it! Most of the immature guys in my class think it's hillarious to run around doing Legolas impressions just to tick my friend off. So I shot them with my bow. (consisting of a pen and a stick that I found outside) I gave one of them a welt. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] It was soooo fun.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:11 AM   #43
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I once had a kid tell me that some dumb series of books or other was soooooooo much better than LOTR- and he hadn't even read LOTR! Then when he and this other classmate of mine started to read it, they quit around the part where Merry and Pippin meet Treebeard, because it was "boring"! That made me mad! Grrrr...... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Anyway, this was two or three years ago and I'm still talking about it... go me. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 11:54 AM   #44
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

People think they are boring bacause they don't have the brain capacity to handle it!

Whenever someone says it's boring or calls me a freak, I just shriek like a Nazgul. Everyone in my class is so used to it, they don't even notice enymore. There is only one LOTR freak in my class, but there are a few older kids who like it! I feel so alone. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Quote:
...t-shirts that say "I'm a LOTR Freak-And Proud of it!"
I actually made a shirt that says that! I used those iron-on letters, it's really cool. I usually wear that shirt with my "Frodo Lives" shorts (more iron-on letters) or my "Save the Ents" t-shirt (MORE iron-on letters).

IRON-ON LETTERS RULE!!!!!
Old 07-29-2003, 08:31 PM   #45
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Say, where do you get those iron-on letters? Sounds interesting.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:47 AM   #46
Elen Ilúvitauri
Pile O'Bones

Elen Ilúvitauri has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I dont have a problem with people who dont like Lotr, as much as i like it. People are obsessed with other things. For instance, my best friend is a goth, and she is really inot underground music, while she does read, she is obsessed with Marlowe. I know people who are obsessed with politics and world Misdemeanours. I have friends who spend all their time smoking pot and playing guitar. My other best friend is obsessed with LOTR and surfing.

At the same time i have friends who are very passionate about music and drama, and of course literature. I know that as much as we would like to, we cannot force people to like Tolkien's works, that would be a form of fascism.

But, i love the amount of loyalty that people show towards their "weapon of choice" if you will.

Keep up the great work guys! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Tommy, SNATCH'S answer to Pippin.
Elen Ilúvitauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:08 PM   #47
Eowyn_Wildfire
Animated Skeleton

Eowyn_Wildfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eowyn_Wildfire
Sting

he he i would love to sing the drinking song but i don't kno the begining, some one wanna email it to me? eowynwildfire@aol.com

i had this relly sad experienc once i have a ring and i wear it on a chin and this guy who i have a locker next to is all " you have one of thoes rings thats so dumb
' and then this guy who is nomally relly nice and also loves lotr and had allready said he like my ring was like "yeah i kno isn't it dumb" IT WAS SO MEAN [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Eowyn_Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:00 PM   #48
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Sirithheruwen:
Heh heh heh... I had an experiance like that... My friend has this balcony-thing over her staircase that reminds me so much of Mount Doom (really! You should see it!) So I take my precious...I mean my ring, over her house whenever I visit and make a scene of climbing the staircase and throwing the Ring off. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] She isn't a fan and just rolls her eyes at me...Like all my friends do. *sniffles*

None of my friends are fans...I'm all alone... I take comfort in message boards. My friends always have to pry me away from the RotK teaser poster at the theatre and stuff like that. They're pretty sick of hearing my movie vs. book rantings and my constant conversations with myself over various Tolkien topics... heh heh heh... But I love being obsessed. It's so much fun! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ August 03, 2003: Message edited by: Amarantha_Daisy ]
Old 07-31-2003, 10:31 PM   #49
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lily Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Three of my friends like LotR, but they're not obsessed. There's the one guy who follows my friends & I around & he calls me weird. What a LOSER!!! (Hee, hee... I stole my sister's precioussss... I hid it- Wait! How do I know one of you won't steal my preciousss?! Argh! I'm totally overtaken by the Ring and too blind to see it! wait...)
Old 08-01-2003, 07:41 PM   #50
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Tolkien

People at school often make fun of LotR when I`m around and I don`t know how to insult them in elvish. Any suggestions?
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 12:13 PM   #51
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dűm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

This might heLP:

Elvish Insults

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 12:27 PM   #52
TaliesinWest

Sting

In the days when I /did/ strut around in full Tolkien regalia I'd get a few looks (and thinly veiled insults), but I value my social status far too much to do that these days. I can't have my popularity going down the tubes like it did when people found out I liked a *gasp* book in sixth grade. (Good thing most of them didn't know what a book was, or I'd be totally ruined. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) I find that life is easier when people don't ostracize you.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:47 PM   #53
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

There is this one immensely evil girl in my school who is very anti-Tolkien. She's always bothering me about being Tolkien-obsessed. One day, she came up to me and said that LotR was a waste of a life [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]. I then proceded to tell her that Harry Potter, which she loves, was a waste of a life [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. I have since written many poems about just how evil she is.

Also, I have the Verse of the Rings and A! Elbereth Gilthoniel written out on my binder and I get a lot of people asking me what they are. I tell them that they are poetry, and the people look at my binder again and tell me that they make no sense(ah, poor unenlightened souls!)

One more story. One day in Language Arts class the topic of LotR came up. I raised my hand and said that smart people like Tolkien. A bunch of people got very offended.I didn't mean to say that they were dumb, but now I see that they are, for not seeing all the beauty that Tolkien's works have to offer.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:01 AM   #54
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Orominuialwen, I think youll find people like that arent worth your time. Im actually wondering if she ever read any of Tolkien? Its not very mature of people to say what is cool and what is not, so its Water under the bridge. There are more important things in life. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 08:39 PM   #55
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

The Eye

Quote:
Im actually wondering if she ever read any of Tolkien?
That's a good point. I hate it when people insult Tolkien's works and have never even read anything by him. You can't hate something if you've never experianced it for what it truely is. ...Yep. I'll stop being all philosophic now...
Old 08-04-2003, 09:24 AM   #56
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

To be perfectly honest, I have yet to meet an anti-LOTR person. Many students (and teachers) at my school seem to be quite supportive of LOTR, in fact. Here's a few examples:

When FOTR came out, my English teacher posted a map of ME on the wall and had the class listen to the tape recording of Riddles in the Dark from The Hobbit. Then for nearly a week, she went on a rampage about how much Ian Holm does not look like the Bilbo she imagined. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Two months after FOTR was released, I remember walking into my different classrooms and seeing copies of LOTR and The Hobbit strewn about on differents desks (most of them belonging to students who don't regularly enjoy reading).

The day after TTT came to theaters, there was excitement throughout the entire school about how awesome the movie was. One guy in my classes had a huge obsession with Helm's Deep. Throughout the day he kept summarizing to me the best stunts in the battle, even though I had already seen the movie (of course). I recall that a teacher had to quiet us because we were talking so loud in our excitement. I believe that guy ended up seeing TTT again that night.

And then, of course, there's the multiplying fangirls who post pictures of Legolas in their binder and scream whenever they hear his or Frodo's name. I swear, there was a time after FOTR came out that girls where writing on desks and folders, "I love Legolas" or "I love Frodo." [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Geez, I really must be lucky or something. Is my old school the only one existing that has that amount of LOTR support (aside from rabid fangirls)?

Still, I have heard negative things about LOTR before. My obsession with LOTR has become so extreme that my family and some friends act like they hate LOTR, though I know they really don't. My friends officially know me as the LOTR fanatic and tease me gently about it (even though some of them are LOTR fans themselves).
"Can't you stop talking about LOTR for just one day?" they ask. "Nope," I answer.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:16 PM   #57
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The girl who told me LotR was a waste of a life said she'd tried to read it, but she thought it had "nice description, but no plot," or some other nonsense like that. No wonder I've hated her since 1st grade. Thanks Everdawn and Amarantha_Daisy for being so supportive! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2003, 01:48 AM   #58
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, there arent any anit lotr people here either Brin, i just hate hearing people dissing it.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 09:13 AM   #59
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Eye

Quote:
And then, of course, there's the multiplying fangirls who post pictures of Legolas in their binder and scream whenever they hear his or Frodo's name. I swear, there was a time after FOTR came out that girls where writing on desks and folders, "I love Legolas" or "I love Frodo."
I think it's sad that someone likes LOTR just because they think any character is hot. Though, on occasion, some people will actually read the books and enjoy Tolkien for more than pretty faces.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:55 PM   #60
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Sting

Quote:
I think it's sad that someone likes LOTR just because they think any character is hot.
Yeah, I agree. I just feel like saying "Hello? There's a storyline these character are in! They're not just pretty faces!" But then, of course, there are people who appriciate the books, movies, and think that the actors are attractive, so that's okay [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

A lot of people also forget the books and watch the movies, thinking that they're Tolkien experts just because they saw FotR and TTT in theatres a couple times. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] That makes me angry. Any know-it-all is aggrivating, but when someone hasn't read the books tries to rub their knowledge in your face... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Grrr...
Old 08-07-2003, 09:17 AM   #61
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Silmaril

Quote:
But then, of course, there are people who appriciate the books, movies, and think that the actors are attractive, so that's okay
I agree, because I'm one of them. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Don't worry, the only reason I saw the FOTR movie in the first place; is because I'd already read the book and I wanted to see how PJ interpered it. Then my obsession of Elijah Wood started.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2003, 03:04 PM   #62
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Tolkien

I am over obsessed with LotR, and hate when people insult it. Can you tell me a good way to insult people in elvish? Thanks!
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 04:56 PM   #63
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Quote:
But then, of course, there are people who appriciate the books, movies, and think that the actors are attractive, so that's okay.
Should we form some sort of a club or something? My answer is much the same as Morai's: I had been reading the books for several years before the movies ever came out, and I will continue to do so afterwards. You could say I like it all around. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 06:22 PM   #64
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dűm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

I have a friend who is rather obsessed with Elijah Wood... sometimes I wonder if she watched the movie just for him, as she hadn't read the books... but I've cracked her and by now she knows just about every line in the movie and considering she still hasn't read the books... she can tell everything PJ left out or changed. She now appreciates the movies, and she's not anti-lotr...she's just very pro-elwood [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I'm forcing her to read the books though... bwahahahaha [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2003, 10:17 PM   #65
Pyroclastic
Haunting Spirit

Pyroclastic has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What astounds me is that my schoolmates can stand around and talk about their hair for hours, but the moment I mention the hairstyles from LOTR they shout at me. 'Nerd Alert' is the most popular. I sweep out grandly in my green and grey. We've just got to remember that if we don't liven up the world, nobody will! Keep up the good work! It's us against the orks, and we refuse to be defeated!
Old 08-08-2003, 08:49 AM   #66
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
. We've just got to remember that if we don't liven up the world, nobody will!
I couldn't agree more. By the way, Welcome to the Downs! Enjoy being dead!
Old 08-10-2003, 09:58 AM   #67
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dűm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Arwen Evenstar, welcome to the Downs!

To find soem good insults, go to the Elvish Insults! board. I gave you the link above. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Best,
Tarien

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 11:25 AM   #68
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lily Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My mother is mean! Every time I'm watching FotR, my mother starts calling Frodo, Farto or Fordo to be spiteful. She just doesn't understand. *shakes head*
Old 08-10-2003, 01:28 PM   #69
Aethelwine
Wight

Location: In Anórien, just outside Edoras, on a horse I "borrowed"...
Aethelwine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ey everybody!

You know, I just hate it when people talk about how they hate LOTR, even thought they never ever read the books! It's completely stupid, because all they know about LOTR is movie-based. Then they go around acting like they know all about it, and there always saying how stupid it is!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
I have alot of those at my school. And you should here what they say when I take my LOTR-books with me... I'm seriously going to learn those insults by heart... That'll teach them!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

See ya!

Aethelwine.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:29 PM   #70
Aethelwine
Wight

Location: In Anórien, just outside Edoras, on a horse I "borrowed"...
Aethelwine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oops, my fist post and I'm already screwing it up. Please excuse me!

[ August 10, 2003: Message edited by: Aethelwine ]
Old 08-10-2003, 09:59 PM   #71
Pyroclastic
Haunting Spirit

Pyroclastic has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I picked up the book after it was mentioned in another book I was reading and learned about the movie because there was a sticker on the front advertising for it. I deem that being a fan before the movie. I've found that the people who aren't LOTR fans have all been lousy friends, I guess because we didn't have the really important things in common. I wonder if there are message boards out there complaining about us LOTR people?
Old 08-10-2003, 10:51 PM   #72
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Sting

Quote:
I wonder if there are message boards out there complaining about us LOTR people?
I bet there are...I know some people who would start one. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I annoy people a lot with all my quoteing and all... Everything in my head had to do with LotR, and it sometimes bugs people...

Of course, I can always insult them in elvish [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I once told my sister's boyfriend auta miqula orqu (go kiss an orc) and he said, quite cluelessly, "Yeah, me too" Needless to say, I cracked up. He had no clue why, though. Heh heh heh...
Old 08-12-2003, 08:54 AM   #73
Lucinda
Animated Skeleton

Lucinda has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And then, of course, there's the multiplying fangirls who post pictures of Legolas in their binder and scream whenever they hear his or Frodo's name. I swear, there was a time after FOTR came out that girls where writing on desks and folders, "I love Legolas" or "I love Frodo."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eek! Sorry to say I was one of those people! And I was also one of those people who say LotR is boring without reading it! But I'm converted now!!! Thankfully! Life would not be as interesting without LotR!
Old 08-13-2003, 01:05 AM   #74
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Sting

Hey! Guess what?! I'm a dork! Yep. Every time I do anything LotR related, (in other words, every day,) my sister calls me a "dork" ...Wow...

Now how am I a dork for being a LotR fan? It's a work of literature, garshdarnit! And a brilliant one, at that!

I just don't get it. She hasn't read the books, but she "hated" the movies. But she's not the reading type anyway. She's the stereotypical "dumb blonde" [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] And I am now a dork... for liking a work of art. Wow. The world we live in...
Old 08-13-2003, 10:45 AM   #75
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

Quote:
Hey! Guess what?! I'm a dork! Yep. Every time I do anything LotR related, (in other words, every day,) my sister calls me a "dork" ...Wow...
when people call you a dork, or an idiot, or whatever, just say something like "Nay, lady, thou art grieveous mistaken. I am of the Noldorim."
That's what I do! (I love wierd looks!!!)
Old 08-13-2003, 03:09 PM   #76
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Tolkien

Quote:
when people call you a dork, or an idiot, or whatever, just say something like "Nay, lady, thou art grieveous mistaken. I am of the Noldorim."
That's what I do! (I love wierd looks!!!)
Heh heh... Thanks! I'll do that [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I love getting weird looks, too. Whenever I quote or recite or something I get a weird look and it makes me feel special...

The only problem I have is coming up with something to say when you're being looked at funny or being called names... I feel like saying something to scare them... But, Elennar, thanks for that. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I'll most certainly use it.

Now I have to go check out the "Elvish Insults" thread...
Old 08-14-2003, 04:37 AM   #77
Maikadurwen
Wight

Maikadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maikadurwen Send a message via MSN to Maikadurwen Send a message via Yahoo to Maikadurwen
Sting

yesterday my obssesed friiend and iwere at school and we were in 7th period and this that was sitting next to us goes why r u so obssesed with lotr? cause its awesome my friend says to fim then he goes toliken freaks we reply PROUD OF IT .

AND THEN ONE OF MY TEACHERS HATES TOLKIENand she was standing in front of me
Old 08-14-2003, 12:05 PM   #78
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring

Quote:
yesterday my obssesed friiend and iwere at school and we were in 7th period and this that was sitting next to us goes why r u so obssesed with lotr? cause its awesome my friend says to fim then he goes toliken freaks we reply PROUD OF IT .
That reminds me of my friend's and my "hijinks" in science class last spring. Every time we were bored, we'd pet the Frodo pictures on my binder and whisper "precioussss" I think we recieved several weird looks. One time this guy came over and spit on my pictures. Of course I chased him off. (while barring my teeth) Now pity him for his underprivligedness (my is that a word?) of not loving LOTR as much as me.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:48 PM   #79
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

I have found that a large majority of "anti lotr" people are fans of fads such as Harry Potter. But that is to be expected...

Himaran
Himaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 02:22 PM   #80
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Sting

couldnt help joining in 'cause where I live very few have heard of lotr so nobody knows what im obsessed with. This place is like Rivendell for me away from all those uggh Harry Potter fans(who have no idea what lotr is). Though there are few other than me who are actually obsessed most of my friends read the book.Though it is fun running around yelling Little baby Fingolfin got squashed like a bug by Morgoth.I get loads of wierd looks because of that but its fun.