The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-07-2004, 09:03 PM   #41
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'd have to say that 'Gothmog' was a useless addition (if it does classify as an <I>addition</I>), but I think that the Arwen subplot really wasted a lot of screen time.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 03:08 AM   #42
Altariel
Animated Skeleton

Altariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Curse you, Arwen subplot, cuuuurse yoooouuuu!
Old 01-08-2004, 06:59 AM   #43
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I agree about the Denethor deathscene. Remember: "the blood of Numenor runs almost pure in him, and also in Faramir his son." The scenery-chewing lunacy was amusing in its way but I wanted Denethor to be scary, not seedy,dribbling and undignified.<BR>And speaking of OTT silliness, I also disliked the radio-active Palantir. Just a crouching Pippin, a mysterious glow and then a high-pitched cry of "I will send for it at once. Do you understand? Say just<BR>that!" would have been great. <BR>And, while it is more of an omission than an addition, the lack of Tolkien dialogue in the Eowyn/Witch King scene was a crying shame.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:09 PM   #44
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh i REALLY disliked the radioactive Palantir. It made me laugh almost as much as when Aragorn's swrond got set on fire in TTT. (I know that's in the book, but it just looked so funny)...<P>The Arwen subplot: I am female and i'm not offended that there weren't many women in the books.<P>The Human Fireball: what a waste of a wonderful scene. The Pyre of Denethor could have ended really dramatically with the roof caving in on him and everything, but he just HAD to go and jump off a cliff, didn't he?<P>The omission of Tolkien dialogue: i can understand what he is saying, so i am sure most people who see the film can as well.<P>The Evil Searchlight of Mordor: the ray coming from The Eye for me seemed to diminish it's power rather than increase it. The ray limited the vision of the Eye from all seeing to just where the light is, which isn't a very big area.<P>The addition of Smeagol's history: I didn't really mind this bit, but let's face it: Saruman is better.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:16 PM   #45
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>How about Frodo sending Sam away - and even more to the point - Sam GOING! I know that PJ was probably just trying to show how much of a hold the Ring had over Frodo, but come on! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Yeah, I growled about that scene. Literally. I was not pleased.<P>The stupid fat hobbit jokes hemmed from the fact that Sean had to gain a bit of weight from the role. He mentions it a lot in interviews and on the dvd. I think Andy Serkis did that just to be special.<P>The only two things that came great out of the pyre scene was Pippin saving Faramir and seeing Gandalf frustrated. Otherwise, it just didn't settle too well. The Gandalf violence was just wrong. x_x<P>The palantir scene with Pippin was allright, but did anyone noticed Aragorn struggling with it for a few seconds. That just didn't look right to me on the account that Aragorn should have done better. I liked the idea of Gandalf presenting the palantir to Aragorn. <p>[ 4:17 PM January 09, 2004: Message edited by: Sleeping Beauty ]
Old 01-10-2004, 02:20 PM   #46
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>How about Frodo sending Sam away - and even more to the point - Sam GOING! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Like I think I said before, I was ticked that Frodo told Sam to go away, but you really can't blame Sam for going.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:33 PM   #47
Calenamarthiel
Pile O'Bones

Calenamarthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I totally agree with Altariel. Definitely too much of Arwen! And I really could not understand why they had to have Arwen's fate tied to that of the ring. Did they think Aragorn needed more incentive to fight against Sauron in addition to the numerous reasons he already had for doing so? Just a thought.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:46 AM   #48
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I HATE that Frodo told Sam to go and even more that Sam left. I mean, I know there are going to be some differences from the book but that was just stupid...and for ppl who haven't read the book (like some members of my family) it ruins that loyalty between Sam and Frodo for them and they don't understand how it was supposed to be<P>As to the Denethor sky-dive, it would have been better to stick to the story, but it didn't really bother me at all because all in all, he was on fire, and he died, and it didn't seem to change the plot or anything like the Sam - Frodo thing. It was just one of those changes that I thought "okay it's not right, makes it look like he changed his mind, but doesn't actually say he did so whatever there's gonna be changes and that's one of them" lol<P>Definately too much Arwen and not enough Eowyn scenes lol<P>Ghan-buri-Ghan was missing (yes I know that wasn't an addition, but o well)<P>i would have liked more Legolas and Gimli at the end, but o well.<P>I also would have liked Saruman and the scouring of the shire.<P>Radioactive Palantir a bit stupid too
Old 01-20-2004, 01:02 AM   #49
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Gollum framing Sam and Sam leaving robbed us of one of the most poignant and pivotal scenes in the book that would have played beautifully in the movie. On the way to Shelob, Smeagol is leaning over Frodo tenderly and reconsidering his plan when Sam wakes suddenly and misunderstands Smeagol's behavior (this is the "sneaking" scene). Goodbye Smeagol, hello Gollum forever. In <I>Letters . . . </I> Tolkien says this was Smeagol's last chance for salvation. Instead of this profound and tragic scene we got the predictable stock saved-by-the-cavalry at the last moment scene. Did anyone, including non-bookers, think Sam was really leaving?<P>Denethor definitely needs a palantir and I hear there's a strong possiility he will get it in the EE. To me, the additions of the mad and ridiculous, albeit wonderfully acted, flaming steward seemed to be auteur nods to favorite bits from other action movies.<P>Smeagol/Deagol was very nice, and I wouldn't trade that 10 second shot of the utter wallowing in addicted self-abandon in the cave as Gollum settles in under the mountain. But, to use it instead of following through with Saruman & Wormtongue? And, it sounds like the EE is going to mess up the Saruman resolution. (Grima is given chance to leave Saruman--yes!, then Saruman tells everyone that Grima murdered Theodred (I may have mis-remembered the victim)--yes!!, then Wormtongue stabs Saruman--yes!!!, but then Legolas is going to perform yet another stunt and shoot Grima. There were plans for Grima to throw himself off Orthanc once he realizes he's doomed--yes!!!!, but . . . looks like that's going to be a "no."<P>And speaking of Legolas--at last, a thread containing consensus that we're tired of the stunts. The Battle of Pelennor Fields was harmed by Legolas on the mumakil, because by then it's become formulaic ("Let's see, it's been about 25 minutes, cue Legolas, and . . . action!") It wasted time. We're still tired after 40 minutes of Helm's Deep and it feels like we're still watching it.<P>And, I've said this before, but I can't shake it--the "Evil Dead": too much cleaning green. They remind me of scrubbing bubbles (anyone old enough to remember them?) at the Scouring of Gondor. Heck, you half expected to see Aragorn, Gandalf, and the rest lying back, watching the clouds and blowing smoke rings while the Dead do all the work.<P>Sometimes I think that the writers, producers, et al, needed to take a break from stewing in their own juices for so long. Things begin to feel convoluted and like someone pushed the dominoes over too soon before they could all fall in the right direction.<P>But, I loved RotK and was most grateful for the fact that the main themes and meaning of Tolkien's story got across so well. I even loved the end song and, during my second viewing, the small afternoon audience all left during the credits as "Into the West" played. I sang along out loud. Ahhh . . . (good thing I was alone!) <p>[ 2:11 AM January 20, 2004: Message edited by: dininziliel ]