Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-14-2005, 06:25 AM   #681
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry those two are still debating. Should get a post up tonight...
Old 12-14-2005, 11:38 AM   #682
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Save filled, though poorly, I'm afraid. Tell me if it's not acceptable and I'll try it again.

-- Folwren
Old 12-14-2005, 12:59 PM   #683
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Folwren

I liked your post. Funny!!!

~*~ Pio
Old 12-15-2005, 03:38 PM   #684
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

I've given the doughty Dwarves and keen-eyed Elves a last battle.

I put up a SAVE, in case someone needs to post something pre-Troll. Just leave your posts as needed for the SAVE here on the Discussion Thread and I'll slot them in.

Perhaps, once the battle is done, and the necessary wrapping up the aftermath of it, we can move the game toward it's end. Someone can jump the Dwarves to their return to Khazad-dum; some other of the Elven characters can jump ahead to Imladris.

Everyone can do their last summing up posts.

And then Durelin can write her last post for the game.

How does this sound?

I do want to wrap this game up by the end of the year. And I'd like to invite any or all of you think about submitting game proposals for the upcoming year.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 12-15-2005, 03:45 PM   #685
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Pio

You certainly know how to ruin a fervent, romantic moment!

Of course the lady hasn't said 'yes' as yet - so perhaps it's just as well. Who know, she might dump the lout! Ondomirë can return to what he knows best - ordering his troops and fighting. . . . and drown his sorrows in wine at a later date . . .
Old 12-16-2005, 07:12 AM   #686
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yes I shall certainly need the save ... sorry for keeping you in suspense but I had a prior engagement last night. But Ondomire shall get his answer tonight unless the trolls interrupt before Losrian gathers her wits

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 12-16-2005, 03:01 PM   #687
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
with apologies to ee cummings....

Post placed ~*~ Pio

Mithalwen's post

Losrian felt as if she had been hit by a thunderbolt, though she was unsure which had the most impact his words or his touch - the gentle strength in the hands that cradled her face, the fleeting tenderness of his kiss or the unexpected proposal. She gasped in amazement and could not speak, only look into those deep grey eyes seeking for some confirmation that this was not some dream. It had never occurred to her that her feelings were reciprocated. That his reserve might be because she was as disturbing to his equilibrium as he was to hers. A few hours ago she was convinced of his indifference but had she not also concealed her feelings? She might think it impossible that he should want her .... but the kiss had been real enough. Perhaps she could trust his judgement even if if she could not believe herself worthy. Indeed the trust was the hard part.

And now Galmir was crying for his mother in his sleep .... "Hush Gally, you're safe.. I'm here ... " she forced herself to turn from Ondomirë, though it caused an almost physical pain, and tend to the child, stroking his hair away from his face. As she knelt over him she remembered Ondomirë's words of earlier in the evening as he had watched the children play:
"They are ....accepting little creatures, are they not? Nothing need be proved to them......" Why am I making this so difficult ? she thought. I love him and it seems he loves me. He has spent an age of the world alone and has asked me to marry him and now he probably thinks I am rejecting him.

She was aware that Ondomirë now stood with his back turned and head lowered. Another gasp of horror and her voice softened as she relaxed having resolved her own mind. "We are here Galmir, you are safe...". It seemed the child quietened immediately and she rose to her feet and placed her hand on Ondomirë's shoulder.

"My lord, will you receive my answer?". Ondomirë turned to her and as he did so she slipped her arms around his neck rising to tiptoe so that she was nearly on the same level. She studied his face for a moment then, tilting her head slightly, tentatively kissed his mouth. Then she spoke, her voice grave but her eyes full of love.

" I shall trust in hope, and in you - I fear no fate, for you are my fate, my love, my 'Mirë. And, if it truly is your will, I shall be your spouse, your helpmate in your endeavours, and I will dwell with you wherever they may take us"

Last edited by piosenniel; 12-17-2005 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:21 AM   #688
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.

Ondo and lossie sittin' in a tree
-- K-i-s-s-i-n-g --
First comes love,
Then comes marriage,
Then comes Lossie with a baby carriage!

---------------

Back to the battle -----

Folwren

You want to take down the next Troll?
Old 12-17-2005, 12:42 PM   #689
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I think she has enough babies on her hands for the moment especially for a girl who ain't actually married yet... at this rate they will end up like an elvish von Trapp family wandering around the mountains singing.....

I hope pio doesn't mind me pasting in this excellent reference material she provided on Troll killing for "The fall of the North" 's Troll episode.... I seem to be a troll magnet...

"There are six types of Troll written by Tolkien: See HERE. Only the Stone trolls encountered by Bilbo and the Dwarves were mentioned to be turned to stone with the sun's light.

I would imagine that if cleverly knocked down, a nice sharp stave/spear could be rammed in between the scales of the troll's hide (An armpit would be good - puncture the lung, and if shoved far enough and at a downward angle, the heart would be pierced). Or one right through the ear hole into the brain would do it. And of course there are always the eyes . . .

~*~ Pio, the bloodthirsty"

Last edited by Mithalwen; 12-17-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:52 AM   #690
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I have to say, when Ondo and Lossi first met, I didn't see this proposal happening.

----------

Yeah, Arry, I can work on helping taking down another troll.

And I'm terribly sorry I've been so scarce lately, but I have good news - we might be getting internet at home soon. On the other hand, there's bad news. . .it's going to be limited time. And even worse news, if we don't get this said internet before next week, I'm not going to be here at all the last week of December.

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 12-20-2005 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:11 PM   #691
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

No she did rather fall on her feet there.... ....

Old 12-20-2005, 02:14 PM   #692
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Save filled.

Arry, I've had an idea. I had one troll killed, and then mentioned that there were two left. However, five trolls originally attacked the camp. Another one could have been killed, true, but I was thinking that we could work with Pio's Troll that seemed to really dislike the Dwarves. If he came around to where the main group of Dwarves were staying, he could be out of sight until he's quite ready to pounce on them. Then there could be a short fight between him and the Dwarves while all the Elven archers and spearmen are off fighting the other two who are set on causing havoc on the rest of the camp.

Anyway, just a suggestion that I thought you might be interested in hearing, if you wanted to do something with it.

-- Folwren
Old 12-20-2005, 02:50 PM   #693
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Folwren

I'll see what I can devise - do you want me to do the whole scene? Or leave some for you to write about killing the Troll?

Last edited by Arry; 12-21-2005 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:14 PM   #694
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Do whatever you want, Arry. I don't necessarily want any part in the scene, it was just an interesting idea that you might like. . .but that I didn't want to write. If you want to give me the last of it, then that's fine, but please at least begin it, somehow. Or you can just write all about the battle and the trolls death and then give me a place to hop in after it all - provided you manage to do that before Thursday, because I won't be here after that, likely.

-- Folwren
Old 12-21-2005, 06:50 PM   #695
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I had the Dwarves finish off the fifth Troll.

The last two of the five are being harried by the Elves as they attempt to get into the center of the camp where the supply wagons are.

Up to you, now, Mithalwen and Envinyatar to deal the death blow somehow to those last nasty varmints!
Old 12-22-2005, 01:28 PM   #696
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Arry,

Bror's beginning to think of the people at home. Thoughts that don't necessarily make sense or don't meet exactly right at the end are spinning around in his head. If Skald's any wiser, he can say something to help Bror out, or he can just let it rest pretty much where it is.

-----------------------------------

Everyone
-

It looks like I'm not going to be able to get on again (after today's working hours) until something like January 3rd. But there is a chance (though it is a very slim one) that I might find a computer between tomorrow and then. Actually, the fact is, I very possibly may be able to get on once. . .something like Tuesday the 27th.

Anyway, the upshot of the matter is - my character is going to have to be carried along as necessary (likely by Arry), and I hope that the game doesn't end until sometime when I can participate. However. . .if it does end before I return, then that's how it is, and I won't compalin (too much) and everyone will be happy.

---------------------------------

Pio,

You said
Quote:
And I'd like to invite any or all of you think about submitting game proposals for the upcoming year.
And I'd like to say I'd love to, and will do my best to think of something or other. . .though I might warn you and say that though I've been thinking really hard for a long time, I've not come up with anything, and the chances of me actually inventing something are small. But we'll have to see.

Yours,

-- Folwren

P.S. Oh, look, I just had a thought. If it turns out that the game does come to a close before I have a chance to return, mayhap someone would be able to put a save up for me? P'raps. . .maybe. . .
Old 12-22-2005, 06:33 PM   #697
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Once this battle is done and the camp back in order - would someone like to move us to the next day? We can have the Dwarves leaving and heading back to Khazad-dum; the Elves can start on toward what will be Imladris.

What would everyone say to calling a halt to the game at that point? Those of us still writing for the Elves can each do an epilog for our characters - 'having reached Imladris, etc, etc.' It could be set whenever each of us would like. The Dwarves can do one from the perspective of having got back to Khazad-dum.

And then Durelin can of course end the entire game with her final post.

Someone can leave a SAVE for Folwren. And I'm sure Pio will hold the game in the Shire until Folwren has time to write her post.

How does this sound to everyone? Any other ideas for bringing the game to a satisfactory close?
Old 12-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #698
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

That sounds fine with me. I can respond to Folwren's last post, then bring us to the next day and we Dwarves setting out to go home.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:26 AM   #699
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Okies. I will fill in my battle save then think about an epilogue.... well I have already thought a bit but of course Losrian's fate is now bound with Ondomire's unless he has had a change of heart ...or kills himself off

Old 12-23-2005, 12:52 PM   #700
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

This is not the time of year for depressing RPG posts.

Ondo's moving to Elrond's neghborhood and enjoying a few good years with wife and family. He will no doubt be killed off later in the Battle of Dagorlad . . . being too creaky by half at his advanced age to bend his bow with any effectiveness . . . sigh . . .
Old 12-23-2005, 01:54 PM   #701
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envinyatar
This is not the time of year for depressing RPG posts.

Ondo's moving to Elrond's neghborhood and enjoying a few good years with wife and family. He will no doubt be killed off later in the Battle of Dagorlad . . . being too creaky by half at his advanced age to bend his bow with any effectiveness . . . sigh . . .

Nah you have to stick it out with Elrond to the end and sail with the ring bearers.... Not getting away fom her so quickly.... however much a few years peace in Mandos might appeal ... seriously it is up to you of course...

Old 12-23-2005, 06:59 PM   #702
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Hey...I'm sorry about my absence, I've now apologised for this too much, I'm...well, I'm sorry, there is an accumulation of reasons none of which I particularly want to share on a public thread. I hate the fact that I abandoned this thread, and the character, after putting in so much work to her development at the beginning of the game. But that being as it is - may I have an epilogue? Just a summing up of Narisiel's eventual fate - it'll be suitably juicy, promise Give me a few days, please?
Old 12-25-2005, 08:06 AM   #703
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Aman, I would have begged you to let me at least know her fate so if you can manage a epilogue that would be good.

Old 12-25-2005, 03:10 PM   #704
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

~*~ Announcement ~*~

You are all invited to post in The Yule Log in Rohan. Just read Bêthberry’s introductory post and join in at The Green Man Free House for the next few weeks.

Come share a story of ghosties, and ghoulies, and sharp toothed goblins for the days of the Winter’s Yule while the fire burns bright and warm and the drink flows freely.

~*~ Pio
Old 12-26-2005, 04:11 AM   #705
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

My SAVE is filled in.

I'm afraid Skald has said some harsh things to Bror.

The Dwarves are on their way home. And I've also had the Elves setting out . . .
Old 12-26-2005, 02:57 PM   #706
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Well, I'm done.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:08 PM   #707
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Poor Unna!

Well, now I've got to think how Skald will take the news and step up as Riv asked him.

---------------

Folwren

I've left a SAVE for you when you get back.

---------------

Nicely written, Aman!

-- Arry
Old 12-30-2005, 10:03 AM   #708
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I think Losrian would like to say goodbye ot Skald so I will use that save I think Pio.. tidy htat up befor her wind up post..

Old 12-30-2005, 01:11 PM   #709
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sounds good!

~*~ Pio
Old 12-30-2005, 03:12 PM   #710
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

POSTED TO RPG ~*~ PIO

Mithalwen's post

No one had slept much for what remained of the night. "All in all it has been quite a day" Losrian thought wryly. Ondomirë had not let her sleep because of her head wound, and instead, as they watched over the the children (who they had eventually managed to settle after all the excitement), Losrian had discovered that the Osanwë-Kenta was actually quite easy if you had the right motivation. Aside from the precious details she was learning about her meldisse, she learnt that the dwarves would depart at first light and knew that she wanted to make her farewell to Skald at least.

As the glow of dawn first coloured the mountain tops, Ondomirë went to resume his duties and Losrian, sporting an extremely colourful black eye but as clear headed as a maid so newly and deeply in love could be, roused the children and led them over to where Skald was making up his pack.

"I did not want you to leave without us saying goodbye, Skald, and without thanking you" she said softly. The dwarf turned and looked up at her. Her silver hair was gilded by the new sun and, despite her injury, a light was in her face that gave her somewhat solemn features a serene beauty. She had come along way from the grimy and careworn girl who they had found in the hut a fortnight ago he thought and he knew the transformation wasn't down to a few hot meals, a wash and a change of clothes. The relationship between the refugee girl and the Captain of Archers was second only to troll attack as subject of discussion in camp and there was no point in denying it even if she could conceal her joy.

" Thank me? I should be congratulating you - you have got a good man there, even if he is a st...."

"Stuffy elf? " Losrian completed the phrase for him for she had heard the dwarves jest while sharing their watch but she grinned for she could understand it. Ondomirë felt so much and showed so little.

"Still waters run deep" she said thinking of the moment of their reunion last night He had made no dramatic gesture of sweeping her into his arms but had conveyed intense emotion with a simple clasp of her hand in his.

Then she added mischievously "And I am so very glad I didn't shoot him - but really I must thank you, your advice was good as was your example ." She smiled down at Galmir who was taking a final chance to indulge his fascination with dwarvish beards. "Maybe things would have been otherwise, if I hadn't learned to look outward." In other words " if you hadn't made me realise how selfish I was" she thought and winced.

"I do not know if the fates of the world will allow us to meet again, for our path takes us ever further from Khazad-dum and the halls of Durin, but I would give you this as a token of our friendship and my gratitude". She placed in his hand her own cloak pin, a garland of flowers and leaves.

"It is unworthy as a remembrance of the Mirdain for it is but an apprentice piece - yet it was the best my craft could manage at the time and my later skill was devoted alas to the implements of war." Losrian sighed, then smiled "I wanted so much to be a mirdan and now the only jewels I care for are Ondomirë and Galmir. "

"If our paths cross again I hope I may give you a finer example of our craft - as it is this serves only to prove how the dwarves surpass the Noldor in metalwork." She grinned again. "But I do not expect to have much time for smithying for a while - other than what is necessary to help in the building of our new dwellings. These living treasures are far more appealing than metal and stone." She smiled at Galmir and Isilmë who were now in the arms of Skald and Bror respectively. Bror she knew had found the little girl by her mother's body.

"And maybe you will add a few more treasures to your collection once you're wedded" Skald added mischievous in his turn.

Losrian blushed and mumured "These two will keep me busy enough to start with," but the accompanying smile confirmed that the thought had already occured to her .

And then it was time for them to depart and Losrian gathered up the children and took her leave of Skald and his brother. "I hope you return safely and find all your kin safe and sound.... my nephew will miss you but yours will be glad to have you back...."

The trio stood and waved until the dwarves were out of sight. And so ended the closest association of the Firstborn and the Children of Aulë that ever existed in Middle Earth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you go... hope it will be ok by Arry - I will amend if not. Cheers.... I will do a final post ... but I am not certain tobe online for a day or so - sinusitis etc

Mith

Last edited by piosenniel; 12-30-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:44 PM   #711
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Great post, Mithalwen!

I suppose now I should get busy on mine --
Old 12-31-2005, 04:28 PM   #712
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Alright! The first of it is finished - the two brothers have returned to their family hall.

Folwren, let me know if you want anything I've done using Bror edited.

-----

Tomorrow, perhaps, I'll wrap up Skald's little story.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has been an extraordinarily fun game to participate in. You are all such good writers and gamers, it has been a real pleasure.

Thanks, in advance of the closing addendum to my game post, Durelin, for allowing me the opportunity to play a Dwarf. The Stonecut family has become quite dear to me.

Can't wait to see how the Elves conclude their participation.

-- Arry
Old 01-02-2006, 01:31 PM   #713
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Thanks Arry, the praise of the praiseworthy.....

Well I am still debating exactly which point to leave Losrian. It is hard now to say goodbye although I find the happy stuff really hard to do without feeling I should atttempt a "Thrills and Swoon" novella... Of course I could wait to follow Envinyatar's lead but that is such a hard act to follow.....

Old 01-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #714
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Ladies first!

Actually, I was waiting to follow your lead, Mithalwen

I'll work around whatever you write for Losrian. It needn't be the 'thrill and swoon' stuff. Turning their new piece of real estate in Imladris should require a lot of hard work, I should think. The Captain of the Archers will have to callous his hands with some manual labor, sweat of the brow, and all that. And perhaps Losrian, who is one of the few surviving of the Mirdain, will help direct the establishment of a small craftsman's hall and have her own forge.

We should/could, of course, manage to work in a child or two - at your discretion. Elven women, I'm given to understand, have complete control of that choice.

- E -
Old 01-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #715
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I know my characters have been out of the picture for quite some time now, but I realized I never said how much I enjoyed playing in this game with you all. There was fantastic writing on all fronts - this has been a most excellent RPG which I enjoyed very much. I look forward to seeing how the rest of you finish it up.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:52 PM   #716
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

You may well live to regret that. Could be an unexpectedly modern marriage with Ondo as a house husband.... Yes they will be quite busy but I may have to yield to a little schmaltz ....give the girl a chance to wear a pretty frock for a change... and once she has built her nest she will definitely want at least one chick of her own - she is already somewhat broody....

"Elven women, I'm given to understand, have complete control of that choice. " - well a certain amount of cooperation on the part of the good captain I am sure is necessary

Anyway ... I will sort something out in the next few days ... will give me something to daydream about at work

Old 01-03-2006, 03:28 AM   #717
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

OK - I finished the last of my wrap-up post.

Again, let me say what a great game this has been! Hope to see you all in another one!

-- Arry
Old 01-03-2006, 10:24 AM   #718
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'm back. And a rather upsetting state things are in, too, I might add. I wish I had been here last week. Especially since. . .since Riv died. I am so depresed.

Thanks for putting a save up for me, Arry. I'll be thinking about what to write and try to fill it sometime in the next day or two. I'm somewhat at a loss. I envy Skald, he's got Unna and two kids and now he's got another one (or two) coming. But, I guess Bror's still a bit young for that, isn't he? What about those stollen kises, though, in a hidden alcove? . . . I'll think about it.

Ah, and this -

Quote:
My SAVE is filled in.

I'm afraid Skald has said some harsh things to Bror.
Pity I wasn't here to write a reply. Those were rather harsh words, and I'm sure Bror wouldn't have liked them. But it's just as well that it was left resting.

---------------------------------------------------

This has been an excellent game. I don't suppose I could have had a better first game.

Arry and Pio. . .golly, I don't know what to say. You two were awesome big brothers and I'll miss both Skald and Riv very much, once I finish.

Oh well, better get moving along.

-- Folwren
Old 01-03-2006, 02:03 PM   #719
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Folwren

It was fun having Bror as Skald's impious little brother!

Since no one as written after my last post - why don't you go ahead and put up a SAVE under your own name.Then, I'll remove mine.

Looking forward to seeing what Bror is doing with himself

-- Arry
Old 01-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #720
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Whenever everyone feels that they have things wrapped up, just say the word. I'll also leave a Save up before I post my final post.

I must beg one final thing, especially of the Shire mods: that I be given a little bit longer to get my epilogue post written; two papers have just sprung on me that I need to get under control first, unfortunately.

Everyone please feel free to write whatever kind of epilogue they wish. An epilogue from every single character even is certainly fine, and would be wonderful! In this game, some fantastic characters were created and developed. I know I enjoyed all of them, and wish I had more time in the past couple months in order to keep Maegisil more involved. Perhaps it was best for his character that I was not, though. Thank you, everyone, for all the time and energy you put into this game. This will be the last game I run on the Downs for a very very long time, and I do think that I will take a long break from RPing. I'll miss everyone.

Thanks again. The story this game told was amazing. And thank you so much for putting up with me. I can be a hassle, in many ways.

A special thanks to Pio, who always makes these games possible, and who helps me far more than I deserve!

*hugs everyone*

*the RPer in her perks up for a moment* Perhaps a sequel could be better than the original?

-Durelin