User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-21-2002, 06:06 PM   #601
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

'Come with us!' said Veritas to Rose, as they passed her on their way to the stairs. 'We are on our way to offer our assistance to the cook.'

'Yes, come below with us,' said Tulë smiling impishly at her, 'and we will introduce ourselves to each other.' He looked her up and down, his eyebrows raised, and a merry look in his eyes. 'You look as if you have a few tales to tell us.'

He bowed to her and bade her follow Veritas. 'This way, pretty lass, if you will!'
Old 08-21-2002, 06:38 PM   #602
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Kali slowly put his hand out to Child's shoulder and tapped her hesitantly. When that did not have the desired effect, he gripped her a bit harder and shook. In a moment or two, he heard a groggy response.

Child opened her eyes and sat up slowly looking about the cabin. She put a hand up to her bandage and moaned. Her entire body ached acutely. Then she put her hand up to her throat feeling for the chain with its single stone. Once she was certain it was there, she visibly relaxed.

Then she looked over and saw Kali. She smiled at him. "Where are we?" she asked.

"On the Star," the hobbrim explained.

"No, I didn't mean that. I know we're on the ship, but what age are we in?" she responded.

Kali looked over to her and laughed. Child didn't seem that different than before she'd gone to Beleriand. "We've returned to the Fourth Age for a little bit" Kali explained. "Doctor's orders are rest and rehabilitation for everyone on board, but especially for you and Bird and Rose."

"They're alright. I mean, Bird and Rose?," she queried.

"They're fine. Both of them are up and about the ship, I think. You're the last one left in bed."

"In that case," retorted Child, "I'd better get up too." She went to pull herself out of the covers, but the entire room began spinning and diving. She sighed and lay down again. "Well, it looks as if I'm stuck here for a little while."

"Is there something I can get you?" Kali asked.

"Yes, Kali. You can tell me how you're doing, and also what's happened here. I thought I just saw someone go by in the corridor I didn't even recognize." Child shook her head. She'd gone away for a little while, and it looked as if everything had changed!

Kali began explaining about the Elf Tule and how Veritas was doing Piosenniel's old job. Child felt vaguely uncomfortable. Perhaps, she had been away too long. Nothing seemed quite right or comfortable with her friend Pio missing.

"Kali, maybe you can round up some visitors for me. There must be someone on the ship who'd like to talk with an old friend."

"And I'm wondering if you'd do another favor for me." Then Child explained about Piosenniel's letter. She asked him to look for it, and the other things Gandalf had mentioned, especially the bronze mirror."

Kali promised to do this, and then went down to the galley to find Child something to eat.

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-21-2002, 11:31 PM   #603
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child could see the stars dimly through her little port hole. She had tried getting up several times, but had only succeeded in giving herself an even larger headache. Hour after hour had passed. No one had popped their head in her door, or stopped by with a drink or a hello. Kali had gone back to his work, and promised to check on her later. Child felt dismally lonely. She missed Snowhobbits and Lindo, and a hundred other things.

All these strange people, and no Piosenniel. It didn't even seem like the same ship anymore. In the camps, there had always been people around to laugh and cry with. The children would run up to her and rub their heads in her skirt. She had a wild fantasy of slipping a skiff over the side of the Star and padling furiously back to land. Maybe she could find her way back to the Shire and start a school for children. But, of course, that was ridiculous. She had given her word to Ancalimon and Maura to see this thing through, and she was not going back on that.

Just then, the door opened slowly and Kali edged from from the hallway. She quickly dried her eyes, and asked him, "Where is everybody?"

Kali looked down at the floor and shrugged. He wouldn't even meet Child's eyes. "I guess they're at work," he said.

"At work?!! I go away for over seventy years, and they're too busy working to drop in for a chat?" Child's mood was swinging from loneliness to anger. She was beginning to wonder what kind of place the Star had become. This tall Elf pacing by in the hallway had looked very solemn and serious. An impish voice inside her head said that Tule must have eaten one too many pickles to have such a sour look upon his face.

Kali looked at Child and spoke softly, "Maybe they're a little afraid to come in here and visit."

Child stared at him with wide eyes. "But why would anyone be afraid of me?"

Kali looked up at her. "When I lost my mother, the last person in my family, my friends came once to say they were sorry, but some of them never came again. I guess they didn't feel comfortable because they thought I was sad, and they didn't know what words to say."

Child looked puzzled and was about to ask what any of that had to do with her. Then the realty of Kali's words pushed into her head. "Kali, the words that Maura and I spoke to each other in front of Bird and Angara and Rose, are those the sad words you mean?"

He shook his head yes. "And there were other things too. Bad things that happened to hobbits. You tried to stop them, but you couldn't."

"Tule said we should leave you alone, and not bother you. When he feels sad, he goes by himself and remembers things. He told us to respect your sorrow and not say anything about why you were sad."

Child shook her head. She didn't know whether to laugh or cry. "You tell that blockhead Tule that I'm not an Elf. I'm a hobbit. And I like to see people, even if I'm sad. And if Daisy or you want to ask me questions about the hobbits and the camps, or even about the mysterious Maura, that's just fine with me."

Kali shook his head yes. "We wanted to see you, but we didn't want to make you sad."

"Believe me Kali, talking with you two won't make me sad."

"One more thing, Kali. Tell Angara, I'd better see her cheerful face in my room. Tell her I survived 73 years in a prison camp without a single gash or bruise. She did more physical damage to me in one short flight than all of the Orcs in Beleriand combined." Child figured that should get her attention, and rouse up her ire to come in and talk.

Old 08-21-2002, 11:42 PM   #604
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Angara roused herself from her sleep, and stretched mightily. Someone had put her in Pio's room after she slammed herself against something very hard and unyielding trying to land back on the deck.
She checked herself over, and decided that except for a couple of minor scrapes and a bruised ego, she was fine.

Hopping down from the bed, she was just ambling toward the galley when she overheard Child talking with Kali. So, the poor elf was barely cold and already they were going through her things!

'Hmmmph! No respect for their elders, these young ones.' She hastened back to Pio's room before Kali could come out into the hall and find her. Nosing about in the elf's untidy mess, she found the letter Child had mentioned and tucking it beneath her wing, she went back down the hall and entered Child's room.

'Hello, Child! Were you looking for me?' she purred, as she hopped onto the bed. Drawing close to Child's face, her golden eyes glowed, and she held forth the folded piece of paper with her talons.

'Now what's all this I hear of you sending Kali to steal a letter from Pio's room?'
Old 08-22-2002, 12:01 AM   #605
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child did not have long to wait. She had hoped for a little chat with Angara, but this was not exactly what she had in mind. The dragon came purring into the room accusing her of theft and piracy. In another minure, Angara was roaring. At least, this seemed a bit more like the ship Child was used to. It took her a little while to understand what Angara was actually saying.

Child looked at the dragon and tried not to laugh. Then she related how she had been close friends in Beleriand with one of the messengers sent from the house of Nienna the Vala. She told how Ancalimon had known about the letters and told her what she must do.

Angara didn't seem to be too impressed with this explanation about the mirror or Child's namedropping. Child, however, reminded her that there were other names on the list of bequests. In fact, knowing the generosity of the Elf, she expected all her shipmates would be given loving presents. Angara whipped out the letter from under her wing and handed it to Child. They went down the list together and found Angara's name with several items listed. The dragon stepped on Child's toes in her eagerness to see exactly what she had been given. Angara whipped back the letter from Child, and announced that she would read Pio's will and testament tomorrow in the galley. And no one could have any of the presents till then, not even if the Lady Nienna herself came on board the Lonely Star.

Old 08-22-2002, 05:16 AM   #606
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdie, hearing the sound of laughter from Child's room, popped her head into the room, and hobbled over to the bed, favoring a bruised knee.

"Well, it's good to see you up and awake, Child," she said, giving the halfling a hug and making room for herself on the edge of the bed by scooching into Angara. "Move over some, wyrm, or I will morph into my fine, new form and burst out the walls of this cabin." Angara blew a puff of annoyed smoke and curled up on Child's shoulder. "Don't get too full of yourself, changling. A real dragon would spot you for what you are a league away."

"Now what is this about a letter?" asked Bird, and Child explained about Pio's last words and the small mirror. Bird gazed down at the letter and said sadly, "I never thought of the Elf-Folk having need for a last will. Do you suppose she had some idea of how things would end for her in Gondolin?"

None had a response to this, though all had pondered this very question themselves. Bird sighed, saying "Well, read it when you think best, Child. There is nothing that could be given that would replace the friendship of Pio in my heart. But what of this mirror?"
Old 08-22-2002, 05:24 AM   #607
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

The dragon had faded from sight about an hour ago. Lindo looked around. Hobbits were clustered in little groups all over the mountainside; although many were finally done weeping, some were still not finished.

But now, the very last distant sense of the dragon's mind was gone, and Lindo knew that Angara had gone somewhere else in time. He hoped that they were all safe; somehow he did not fear for them.

Maura stood alone far from the rest of the group, looking westward, with his hands in his pockets. Zira and Ban were watching him, waiting for him to turn around; they would not approach him til then.

Lindo looked down at the curly head resting on his knee, and the other two boys that sat together by his side. They did not look at each other or at him as they wept, but they had deep comfort in each other. The storm was gone by; the light rain still fell. Lindo waited.

Tomba and Kemba had picked up the ugly knives that they had taken from the orc-bodies, and gone off to explore. Lindo wanted to go with them, but his own boys weren't ready, and so he waited. Finally he touched each one on the shoulder.

"None of us have ever seen the sea, " he said, "but today the sea has come to us. Let's go down, and see what it is like. We have a whole mountaintop to explore. Are you ready?"

Tocca and Tem nodded, expectantly, and stood. Retya raised his head off of Lindo's knee, slowly sat up and rubbed his eyes, and gazed at Lindo. "Won't they ever come back?"

"No, not for hundreds of years, " Lindo replied. "We will write songs about them, and remember them, and teach the children's children to look for them. But you and I will never see them again. We will be long gone by the time they return. I'm sorry."

Retya heaved a great sigh. "But I wanted you to marry Azra."

There was a moment's stunned silence, and then, "What!?" Lindo burst out laughing and mussed Retya's hair. "Retya, that's silly! She's still in her teens. She's much closer to your age than mine! She's nowhere near being of age. "

"I know, but still. She was always good with all the children in the Workhouse. She would have been a good mom."

Lindo's laughter slowly faded, gradually replaced by something akin to panic. "Ah-- eh, well-- let's go and explore the water's edge, " he replied nervously. "Come on. Tomba and Kemba have already gone."

"We've got to bring Estel, " Retya replied, and locating the pony, he jumped up and ran off to fetch him. Lindo, wildeyed, slowly stood up and scratched his fingers through his hair and shook his head.

"Don't worry, Dad, " Tocca replied, and for a second, Lindo glanced around to see who he was talking to, and then he realised Tocca meant him. "We'll do all right by ourselves. Won't we?"

"Yes... yes, right," Lindo replied with an uneasy laugh, and gave Tocca a hug. Tem lined up for a hug too, and nearby, Retya spoke from the pony's back. "What are we waiting for?"

"How come you always get to ride?" Tem groused indignantly, and Retya, selectively drumming with his heels, expertly turned the bridle-less pony, and headed downhill. Tem and Tocca followed, gamboling.

Lindo looked westward, and saw Zira and Ban talking to Maura. Maura still had a sad, slightly distracted air about him, but he was already looking around the hillside, gesturing and talking with Ban and Zira, and Lindo knew he was planning where to put burrows and what ground to till. Lindo was satisfied. When Maura's expressive hands were moving, he was all right.

And that meant the whole settlement would be all right.

Then Lindo turned and watched the boys, laughing and frolicking dangerously around Estel's heels, and aiming for Tomba and Kemba. But then Retya turned, looking back at Lindo, and as Retya called, Lindo heard an echo of the tumbling mountainside, where it reached down, down, down, finally plunging into the depths of the sea below. He drank in the sweet mountain air, now mixed with the tang of the sea, and it brought a wild laugh out of him before he knew it. Suddenly abandoning himself to the mountainside, he threw himself into a full run downhill after his sons.

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 08-22-2002, 05:43 AM   #608
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After following the elves around the ship, pestering them for answers Rose was finnally given some work to do. She was cooking some supper when Kali came to her and said Child needed some company. So Rose went to join the group that now recided in Child's cabin.

"I hear your complaining about seeing nobody. Well I've seen alot of you. But everytime I checked in you were asleep." It was plain to see that Rose was enjoying herself back on the Lonely Star. When she was told about Pio's will and testament she frowned. Hobbit's were used to getting small meaningless trinkets from thier relitives. "Now that won't do. I've already got two things from Pio, her sword and her friendship."
Old 08-22-2002, 08:53 AM   #609
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Hearing that Child was awake and wanting visitors now, Daisy headed toward her room. She arrived just in time to hear both Angara and Bird speak about presents from Pio. She paused just outside the door to hear the conversations in full. Interest turned to puzzlement, and then to anger as she heard them speaking about what they might get.

She passed Rose in the hallway as she ran to the galley to get a store of food. Seeing Rose enter Child's room, she thought, 'Even her?'

Tulë eyed her with interest as he watched her gather a sizable tray of food and a large flask of water.

'May I help you, Daisy?'he offered, as the pyramid of food threatened to slide off the tray. 'Perhaps if we put it on two we can carry it more easily.' He divided the foods between two trays. 'May I ask what you intend to do with this food? Is there a party I don't know about?' he said, popping a stray fig into his mouth, and picking up the two trays for her.

She looked at him, wondering how much she could trust him. He didn't know Lady Pio, and had no interest in getting any of her belongings. She made up her mind.

'Not a party, Tulë. I expect it to be more of a siege.' As she led him to her room, she explained in hushed tones what the others were planning to do.

'I see.', he said, his face serious at her explanation. 'And you feel this is not the right thing to do? Have you spoken with Child and the others?'

'No. They seemed so determined when I heard them. Especially when I heard her and the dragon speaking. Maybe Pio has family somewhere that should get her things. I don't know . . . I don't want them pawing through her belongings! It's all there is left of her!' Tears ran down her face. 'I am just going to bar their entrance until they come to their senses!'

They had reached Daisy's room that she had shared with the now gone elf. Tulë placed the trays on the table between the two beds, and watched her lock the porthole and shove the large clothes chest nearer the door.

'You'ld better leave now.' she told the elf. 'I'm going to barricade the door.' She stood waiting for him to go.

Tulë gave her an appraising look. 'You truly mean to do this for your friend. Admirable spirit, but a bit extreme. Still, it will be interesting to see how the others handle it.' He smiled and then laughed.

'Would you like an ally?' he asked, assisting her to push the chest against the door.

She looked at him in relief as she locked the door, and went to sit on her bed. The small sword Pio had given her was near at hand.

'Do you think weapons will be necessary?' he asked, seating himself on Pio's bed.

'Oh, I don't plan to use it!' said Daisy. 'But I'm hoping they'll take me more seriously if I have it at hand.'

'I would use words first, were I you.' returned Tulë. 'It has been my experience that once the weapons are drawn, negotiations become a moot point.'

Daisy thought about what he said, and shook her head in agreement. 'I'll try talking to them when they come. Perhaps that might work. Angara, though, is awfully used to getting her way about things.'

'Ah, yes, Angara. She seems an interesting creature. As do all your companions.' He leaned back against the wall, making himself comfortable. 'Come! We have a while here together it would seem before the troops besiege us. Tell me of your companions, that I might know them better.'

Daisy made herself comfortable, and taking an apple from one of the trays, chewed on it thoughtfully. 'Well, let me first tell you about Lady Pio.' she began. The hobbit ran through the list of companions, describing them one by one as she saw them. The elf listened attentively, prompting her at times for a fuller description.

Daisy had just gotten to her description and opinion of Bird when a tentative knock came at the door, and the door knob was rattled.

'Daisy?' a voice called through the wood of the door.

'Go away!' came the reply. 'You aren't coming in!'

Footsteps hurriedly retreated down the hall.

Thus began the Leaguer of Daisy.

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-22-2002, 09:48 AM   #610
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child sat up in bed, her head still aching and tears in her eyes. All she had wanted to do was carry out the dictates that Ancalimon had given her. She remembered the peddler's words that there would be a letter on Pio's desk and that it would tell her to take the book of Elvish lore, and the small bronze mirror. Then she was supposed to study herself in that mirror, and look again and again, until she figured out answers to some of her questions about hobbit history and what had happened to it.

Right now, there didn't seem much likelihood of that. Before she went to bed, she had visits by Rose and Bird. They had both made a point of telling her they didn't need Pio's presents, since they had her gift of friendship forever in their hearts. The hobbit wasn't sure if they intended this the way it came out. It sounded as if Child had wanted the mirror only because she was greedy and didn't have Pio in her heart. And this was not true.

Then, she'd heard the story about Daisy barricading herself in Pio's cabin refusing to come out. It was even rumored she had weapons with her. Child shook her head in frustration. Daisy had known Piosenniel only a few brief weeks. They had barely been on speaking terms for most of that time. Only at the end of the voyage had the two managed to pull things together. Now Daisy was posing as Pio's great defender against her pack of "greedy friends." Only those same friends had known Piosenniel for years and years. They had gone on adventures, laughed and grieved together, and defended each other's backs many, many times.

But worst of all was Child's dream. She had gone to bed upset and seen a large angry Elf who turned into a ghost. The ghost looked vaguely like Piosenniel. She had chased her through the hallways and decks of the Star. Child was normally adept at eluding pursuers, but, because of all her aches and bumps, she was hobbling about in pain. Just as the Elf had grabbed her from behind, she had woken up.

So, what should she do? Once again, the image of the skiff came into her mind. It was becoming more tempting. But she couldn't do that. The one thing she had promised herself, when she left Beleriand, was that she would never lose Maura or little Andreth from her life. Child was certain Maura was intact, but she wasn't sure about Andreth. If she could ask Ancalimon for help with this, he would probably tell her to stop moaning and find the little Andreth inside herself.

She stopped and thought. She fingered the necklace at her throat. Then she thought again. If Andreth had been in this mess, she would have gone to Daisy and gently tried to explain. It was as simple as that.

So Child took a broom out from the corner of her room and used it as a staff to hobble down the corridor. First, she had to get the letter back. Everyone seemed to think that she had taken the letter and tucked it away, but this was not so.

Normally, doing a bit of burglaring would not be difficult for Child. But with the way she was hurting, swift action was out of the question. She had a pretty good idea where Angara might have hidden her treasure. She'd just have to go and sit there and wait until everyone cleared out. Then she'd pick the lock and stumble back down to Daisy.

[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-22-2002, 11:12 AM   #611
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

If Mithadan was surprised that his cooking, such as it was, had been absconded with, he was more surprised to hear that Daisy had locked herself in her quarters due to some upset about Pio's "will". We wandered up to the deck still wearing a dirty apron and proceeded to the gangway leading down to the crew's quarters. Ignoring a catcall and laughter from Angara about his appearence, he passed down the stairs to find an annoyed Bird leaning against the wall.

"This is all Child's fault," she complained. "If she had not been so eager to get a share of Pio's belongings, Daisy would not be behaving so. And to top it off, that fool Elf Tule has joined her in her little rebellion."

This last startled Mithadan. Tule had not even known Pio. What mischief was this? "Bird," he began. "First, I hardly count Daisy's actions as a 'rebellion'. Everyone, myself included, is upset about Piosenniel's death; this is merely an overrreaction. Second, Child is hardly the greedy type. With the possible exception of her choice to join the Gondolin Hobbits, and even that decision was well-reasoned in most respects, I don't know of a more level-headed person than Child. I suggest you speak with her to find out her motives."

He proceeded down the hall to Daisy's quarters, trying hard to ignore his memories of its former occupant. He knocked gently on the cabin door.

"Go away!" came the response. "You can't have her things."

"Daisy," he answered. "I am less concerned about Pio's possessions than I am about lunch. We're hungry out here."

"Then go make some more," she retorted.

"It took me quite long enough to assemble the first batch, thank you," he responded with a small laugh. "I'm no cook. But Daisy, I know nothing about this 'will' and don't care much about it either, save one thing. We are all struggling to deal with Pio's death and honour her memory. I ask you to consider that there may be no better way to honor her than to hear her parting thoughts for each of us and learn from what gifts she had to give. They were her's, after all, and if she wants to pass things on to her friends we must honor that desire and fulfill her will. I don't think there's one of us here who wouldn't rather have Pio here with us than receive some trinket in her memory. But since we can't have her we should..." He choked a bit here. "We need to have her memory because we loved her." He cursed himself silently for failing to keep his emotions in check. "Just think about that please." And with those words, he walked quickly down the hall, entered his cabin and shut the door behind him.

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 08-22-2002, 11:50 AM   #612
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

As soon as word reached her about Daisy's "rebelion" Rose felt that she should just wait untill Daisy ran out of food. And since hobbits eat so much she didn't think that would take long. So she let others deel with it.

Rose climbed up to the crows nest and sat there. She let her worries leave her as she watched the waves hit the ships side. She was quickly pulled from her dreams when a voice behind her said, "I see someone's decided to take my favorite spot."
Old 08-22-2002, 12:27 PM   #613
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child sat for several hours outside the little safe where she had put Morgoth's memo about the capture of the Orcs. That had happened just before Daisy had joined the ship's crew. She remembered how her papers and Rose's bag of mushrooms had mysteriously disappeared, and they had put the ancient document here to safeguard it. Child had peered over Mithadan's shoulder as he closed the box, making sure to watch his every move.

The safe was located near the helm. Person after person marched by the area, and Veritas stood in front of the wheel, carefully watching the waters and steering. Finally the Elf asked Child if she felt well enough to keep an eye on things for just a minute. Child nodded yes, and, within a moment, she had burgled her way into the safe. Morgoth's directive was still there, as well as Piosenniel's letter.

She thought that, perhaps, the next time she saw Ancalimon, that directive by the Dark Lord should be returned to him. But, for now, her attention was on Pio's letter. After Veritas returned, Child hobbled back down to where Daisy had barricaded herself in.

What bothered Child most was that the Elf Tule seemed to be taking sides with Daisy without even talking to Mithadan or asking the accused friends for more information. That didn't seem fair. It was easy to excuse Daisy bcause she was young and headstrong. The Elf should have known better, Child thought.

The hobbit tried knocking on the door, and getting Daisy to speak with her. But the girl refused to discuss anything, calling Child a thief. Now Child had to admit that, like most hobbits, she had stolen a mushroom or two out of neighbors' gardens, but she would certainly never steal anything from a friend like Piosenniel. Perhaps, borrow it, and leave a note of explanation, but not sneak away with loot like a burglar.

Child sighed. Then she slid the two notes under the door. One was Pio's letter with some general paragraphs written at the top which Child hadn't even had a chance to look at. There was also a listing of bequests. The other was a note which Child herself had scrawled out, explaining how Ancalmon had told her about the gifts and the letter. She even told Daisy about the mirror and how she was supposed to look into that and find out something about her own people.

Child wondered if Daisy had ever met and talked with Ancalimon. If she had, she might understand why Child felt so strongly about doing what he had told her. Ancalimon seemed to have that effect on many people, particularly hobbits.

There were lovely odors wafting out of Daisy's door, smells of hot cooked foods. Child tried to remember the last time she had eaten such foods. It would have to be in Gondolin when she first met Maura. There had been months and months of hard bread and whatever else they could scavenge. Child sincerely hoped Daisy would relent, and share her lunch with others on the ship.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:19 PM   #614
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rose whirled around to see Angara perched on the side of the crow's nest. "Oh, sorry Angara. I forgot you liked to sit up here. Would you like me to leave?"

"No," said the Dragon. "I'd like some company."
"Has Daisy come out yet?" Rose was starting to get hungry.
"No, she's very stubborn."
"You know what it is? We're all stressed. If only we could find some way to ease up."
Old 08-22-2002, 02:33 PM   #615
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Well, Daisy, it seems you have gotten Pio's letter.'said Tulë. 'Don't you think you should look at it and see what she wanted done?' He picked the paper up from the floor and handed it to Daisy.

Daisy sat on her bed and sniffled. 'I don't want ro read it! If I read it then it's all true! And she won't ever be coming back!'

'Alright then, how about I read it to you?' He unfolded the letter and perused it briefly. 'There isn't much listed here. I think she must have been one to travel light.'

He read the missive to her. It was short and to the point, much like she was, he thought to himself, recalling Daisy's account of her.

'She's given you her blue leather journal, she says - the one that she was writing in just before Beleriand. Do you know where it is?'

Daisy pointed toward the jumble of books that lay on the other side of Pio's bed.

He picked it up and thumbed through it quickly. 'Oh, look!' he said. 'Here are the pages she marked for you especially.'

He sat beside the girl and drew her near him. Opening the journal, he gently drew her attention to a series of detailed ink drawings the elf had rendered of Daisy. Beneath the largest one of her, at the helm, the sea breezes ruffling her curls, was a short poem. It was only six lines, but it lovingly captured the spirit of the girl that Pio had come to know.

'She must have had great affection for you, Daisy.' He studied the way the elf had chosen to picture the hobbit. 'Indeed, she must have come to love you.'

Daisy took the journal into her hands and sighed deeply, in sadness and acceptance.

Tulë stood and picked up the untouched platters of food. 'What say we share this with your friends now? You bring the letter to them and I'll bring the food. We'll start the day fresh again.'

They pushed the chest away from the door and stepped out into the hallway. Daisy had the letter gripped in one hand and her journal clenched close to her heart with the other.

They made it to the galley, where most of the companions were now gathered. Daisy stepped forward and handed the letter to Child. 'I'm so sorry !' she said quietly. 'And Child and Rose and Bird I'm so glad you're back safely.' She gave Child a gentle hug and kiss, and a hug to Rose and Bird, who wasn't quite sure how to respond.

Tulë placed the platters of food on the table, and handed round glasses filled with wine. 'Let's eat!' he said to the group. 'I, for one, am starving!'

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-22-2002, 04:08 PM   #616
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan sat alone in his cabin with a cup of wine in his hand. On the table before him was the small conch shell and its chain. On this evening, no magical mist emitted from its opening and Ulmo made no appearence -- it was just a shell that he had found many years ago as a child. He toyed with the chain for a moment then pushed it aside. He was weary and worn. Unknown to him, grey hairs had appeared in his raven hair. If he had bothered to look in the mirror, he would have noticed a lost look in his grey eyes. What drew his attention now was a map. A half empty wine bottle stood on the position of the Lonely Star and a line had been drawn connecting it to they Grey Havens with a note written next to it which read "67 miles". A long way for a sloop, but he had travelled far enough already.

A knock came from the door. "Come in," he called. Daisy entered carrying a plate filled with food. She set it down before him, unknowingly covering the scrawled notation on the map.

"You didn't come to lunch," she said quietly. "I thought you might be hungry."

"Thank you Daisy," he replied, his eyes still focused on the map.

"I'm sorry for what I did, Sir," she continued. "I just couldn't bear it. That she is gone I mean."

"I know Daisy," he answered, turning to look at her.

She was silent for a moment, then she put a hand on his arm. "I was being selfish. I know you miss her too. But I put my anger and pain before everyone else. But I wasn't there. I didn't see her. You were there. What were you doing when it happened?"

Mithadan paused for a moment, then spoke quietly. "We had been trying to find a way to rescue some of your people. Then we had tried to find Child and Rose. We wanted at least Rose to return with us. She left before I did and ended up in a battle to save Idril. By the time I reached her, she was gone."

"See," said Daisy tearfully. "Even at the end she was working to help others. She wasn't selfish."

To Daisy's amazement, the Man leaned back in his chair, closed his eyes and began to weep bitterly. Unsure what to do, Daisy just stroked his arm gently. After a few minutes, he stopped crying and smiled down at the young Hobbit. "No," he said. "She wasn't selfish. That will be my memory of her and I must do it honour. Thank you Daisy."

She smiled uncertainly, then excused herself. Mithadan sat for a moment, smiling gently. Then he moved the plate aside and scratched out the note on the map and the line to the Havens. He reached for the bottle of wine and poured another cup, raising it in salute before he drank. He looked at the bottle again and noticed that it was no longer half empty. It was now half full. "Thank you Pio," he whispered.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:09 PM   #617
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Awhile after Daisy left Rose went to visit Mithadan. She poked her head around the door and saw him sitting at his desk drinking some wine. As she came in he didn't look at her.

"I thought I'd come and say Hi. I haven't seen you for so long." Mith turned and Rose could see his face was tear stained. "What's wrong?"
Old 08-22-2002, 06:11 PM   #618
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird sat in a quiet corner belowdecks, studying a small spider that was trying to make a living by going to sea. She watched as the small optimist tidied her web, straightening a thread here, battening down her hatches and belaying all lines, before she sought a secluded corner to wait for the flies that would certainly never come this far from land.

Bird watched attentively, but all her thoughts were on Pio's letter, and the strange reaction it seems to have had on all aboard the "Lonely Star". How could anything revolving around her lovely Pio have become so muddled. The reaction of Daisy was particularly vexing. She had trusted her life to the little hobbit when she had escaped from the ship to return to Beleriand, and yet it seemed that Daisy's acceptance of all on the ship was only skin-deep. Bird wondered again why the little stowaway had even bothered to come on board. If Fate was guiding her, she was certainly taking her own good time to show her hand. Bird shook her head in sadness, and played with a loose thread on her skirt.

And then she heard the sound of weeping. She tried to convince herself that it was not coming from Mithadan's cabin, but there was no way around it. Bird almost became exasperated! The mourning and memories of Pio were becoming well-nigh unhealthy. It had already led to dissension. Would it continue to effect the quest that Pio had died for?

Bird remembered hearing somewhere that the Pukel-Men of the White Mountains would remember and honor their dead for one moon-phase, and then never speak of them again. Bird was beginning to regard this as a most sane policy.

Slowly she stood, brushing off her skirt and approached Mithadan's cabin door. She knocked tentatively: the heir of Eärendil had always had an intimidating effect on her, but she heard him answer mildly "Come in."

Bird poked her head into the door of the comfortable, cluttered quarters, noting the large map laying on the table, and the quill pen thrown down beside it. Mithadan was sitting with his feet up on the table, a glass of wine in his hand. There was no sign of a tear on his face.

"Uh...Mithadan...I promised Kali that I would bring him some songs back from the journey. I heard quite a few while we were away, and I thought I would sing some of them for him now. Would you like to come up and hear them, as well?"

Mith looked away from his wineglass. Giving the the skin-changer a small smile, he swung his legs off the table and accompanied Bird up to the deck.

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 08-22-2002, 07:18 PM   #619
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Kali sat cross-legged on a coil of rope, eyes gleaming with anticipation. Bird sat beside him on a handy barrel, while the rest of the people of the Lonely Star gathered around. No announcement of a song-fest had gone out, but all were there. Even Veritas was listening as she manned the wheel.

Bird thought back on all the songs she had heard from Lindo as the halflings had made their way from Gondolin, to the highlands of Dorthonian. Bird had a good memory for lyric and verse, which was just as well, since she had never but once assumed human form throughout the long, strange quest. She decided to start with one of Lindo’s lullabies.

"Now Kali, this was written by Lindo, a halfling who had spent his entire life in service to the Elf-Folk, whom he loved and admired very much. Lindo was very lost when his world fell apart, but he found another life among his own kind, and I think, he found happiness as well. This is a lullaby that he sang to the babies that were in his care. I always believed it was really about Elbereth."

And Bird began to sing:

Little star that shines so bright, come and peep at me tonight,
For I often think of you in the pretty sky so blue.
Little Star! O, tell me, pray, where you hide yourself all day?
Have you got a home like me, and a mother kind to see?

Kali started, and looked at the singer in confusion. "But Birdee! I already know that song!"

The silence was complete, except for the soft intake of breath from Child. "Kali", said Bird, "you can‘t know that song. You never met the one who wrote it."

"But I do! Listen!":

Little Child, at you I peep, while you lie so fast asleep.
But when dawn begins to break, I my homeward journey take.
For I've many friends on high, living with me in the sky,
And a loving Mother, too, Who commands what I'm to do.

Child pushed herself forward, and knelt in front of the Hobbrim. "Kali, do you know other songs by Lindo?"

Kali gazed into Child’s pain-filled, unhobbit-like gaze. "Yes, Child. I think I do." And he sang in his clear, high voice:

I stand on the hillside and gaze at you
As you quickly recede from my sight
Slipping away (don't leave me, don't go)
Farewell, wait for me, I cry

For a short time we will be apart
in the light of eternity
I'll come to you, hold me in your heart
Remember me, wait for me

I ride on the wind, my eyes drift back
To the receding hill and to you
Hope lies before me, love lies behind
In time, hope will call you too

But love lies before me all the same
Love travels with me, strengthens me
Love waits behind for you, at home
And before me, far beyond the sea

in the light of eternity
I'll wait for you, hold you in my heart
Remember me, come to me

Beyond our sight, we see by hope
Beyond our vision, we wait in faith
Beyond the circles of the world
We'll find all our loves again

in the light of eternity
Iluvatar waits, and says in his heart
Remember me, come to me.

"I’ve known that song since I was very little. My mother used to sing...Child? Oh, Child, don’t weep! I’ll stop singing if you like! Please don‘t weep!"

(O.O.C. - The first song is an old Victorian lullaby. The Song of Maura and Niter was written entirely by Mark 12-20.)

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 08-22-2002, 10:11 PM   #620
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child went over to Kali and wrapped her arms about him. "No, Kali, please don't stop. Sometimes, we cry both for sadness and joy. And this is one of those times when the two have come together. Your songs are like a magic bird that bring me close to someone I love. When I hear you singing, I feel a piece of him still lives." Child said softly.

And part of her was grateful to Lindo who had written this beautiful ode.

"Miss Child," Kali asked simply, "What happened to you in Beleriand? Do you mind if I ask?"

"No, Kali, I don't mind. Part of my heart is sad, but it warms a bit when I talk about it. Sometimes grief is like that. And the best thing you can do when you miss someone is to find a friend to help you remember. Hobbits often do better when they come together to remember instead of sitting by themselves and trying to do it all alone." Child looked in the direction of Daisy and Tule who had come onto the deck to sit down near them.

"What was he like?" Daisy's eyes sparkled as she asked.

Mithadan sat on one of the barrels, his face a mask of tiredness and strain. "Daisy, Child has been through a lot, and she may not want to discuss that right now."

Child walked over to Mithadan, and placed her hand on his shoulder. "It's alright, Mith. I really meant what I said. You folk are the only family I have now. And I would prefer that everyone heard what happened to Rose and myself."

She turned to Daisy and laughed, "He was nothing extraordinary to look at. And I guess to others he seemed like just another hobbit. But to me, he was special."

"But why Child, why? Was he a great warrior?" Daisy prodded.

"Maura, a warrior? No. He did his share of killing on the night Gondolin fell, and, at the end, when the hobbits battled the Orcs. But, he was no fighter. His community called him a "Keeper of the Lore" or a wise-man. He was the memory of the community, the one who told the tales and who spoke with the Elves and Ancalimon."

"Apparently, the hobbits came west just like the big folk to get close to the light. Ancalimon told them to journey with the house of Beor. And it was from that house that they learned many things. And also from the Elves Finrod and Galadriel who were brother and sister. "

"You know, Maura and Ancalimon used a special name for me. They always teased and said I was "Little Andreth" because I was so stubborn. And I think Ancalimon could see, even before Maura and I talked about our feelings, how we felt towards each other." Child sighed, "And I think he also sensed, that just like Andreth the wise-woman who dearly loved one of Finrod's brothers, this could never be."

"You would have stayed there?" Mithadan asked.

"Yes, Mith, I would have stayed." she said simply. She explained how Ancalimon had told her that she must return to the Star to see the journey through, and that there would be no coming back. "Too many threads have been pulled loose in Vaire's web by our time travel. So I have no path on which I may return without bringing down the Shadow on our heads. And neither of us could accept that."

"You won't be with him again, ever?" Daisy asked, raising her eyebrow.

"Not in Arda, Daisy, not in Arda."

"But there are other reasons for which both Rose and I are sad. We've seen too many senseless murders of innocent children. That's how the Orcs controlled us. If they found weapons, or we went against them in any way, they'd take out their brutality on the children. They had the perfect plan to cow and bully us, by threatening what we held most dear."

Child remembered with pain how they'd tried to prod her into choosing the hobbit child who should die, but she had refused. And they had killed two instead. Then she explained how she and Rose had tried to help the little ones as best they could in the Workhouse.

She looked over at Mithadan, "Sir, Piosenniel would have been so proud of Rose. She was young, but she worked hard and was incredibly brave. And, at the end, she was the one who spied on the Orcs. Plus, it meant so much to me to have her there."

"Who is Lindo?" Tule questioned.

Child tried to explain as best she could and said how Lindo had been almost like a son to her, and a close friend to Rose.

"So, Kali, I find it sweet that you remember these tunes and words from a world that exists no more. For they bring back to me both the beauty and the terror of that world. And I remember how Maura and I bound ourselves, and promised to cling to estel until the Light would lead us together some day." She fingered the single stone at her throat. Then she went over to Kali and placed a kiss upon his head.

Old 08-22-2002, 11:18 PM   #621
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Everyone on the Star gathered in the galley to share the evening meal. Child glanced about the room. She was pleased to see so much friendliness and cheerful chatter. They could all use a little time to rest and heal. And it was not only the physical wounds.

Child was only now beginning to appreciate that, when she and Rose had gone through Morgoth's veil of time, their experience had been totally different from the others who'd remained on the ship. The two hobbits had lived through seven months of prison camp. However harsh that experience had been, it had given them the chance to mourn the loss of their good friend. But for the time travellers who remained on the ship, this terrible event had happened only a few weeks before. Many of them were still in deep sadness and denial. Child wasn't as surprised that Daisy had reacted the way she did.

Mithadan had once said that time travel was only for the very hardy or reckless. Child was just now beginning to appreciate and understand what he had meant.

As they finished the meal, Tule got up from the table and graciously excused himself to go above deck and take over the helm from Veritas. Levanto had even come aboard to join them, and Angara waited in rapt attention. Child had Piosenniel's letter in her hand, but she waited a bit for Veritas to return from her position at the wheel. Then, slowly and carefully, Child began to read the words Piosenniel had written, making sure that everyone could hear her.

"My dearest friends,"

"I take it that if you're reading this, I didn't make it back to the ship." At this point, Child's voice cracked a bit, and she looked away from her listeners. "And since I will no longer be needing my meager possessions, this is my rede concerning them."

"To Child goes the Book of Histories and the bronzed mirror. Look into it carefully! There is also one silver penny which I had kept from long ago as a remembrance of our first meeting." At this point, Child looked down at the table and didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

"To Bird goes the small silver tube, the one with the etching of the nightingale. In it she will find an old copy of "The Lay of Leithian" from Beleriand, with some annotations in the section concerning Felagund's singing of the spell of changing and shifting shape."

"To Rose goes my mithril fillet to grace those lovely hobbit curls."

"To Daisy goes my blue leather journal for her to finish writing the story of this adventure in."

"To Khelek goes a blank journal bound with the golden leaves of Laurelindorinan for him to make note of his journey on the Lonely Star."

"To Veritas goes my map case with all my maps in it, and the green journal containing all my annotations of places where I've been, with hand drawn maps."

"To Angara, that Wondrous Wyrm, I give my share of the Lonely Star with all the profit that may attain to it. And the alabaster bottle of scented, rare oils which she may keep her scales gleaming as bright as the sun."

"To my dear Levanto I leave a fine mithril chain with a pendent shell from the waters in which we first met, and a kiss."

"To my sweet Kali goes a conch cell from the shores of Numenor that he may always remember how the Elves helped his people."

"And finally, to Mithadan, goes my small silvered knife, the one with the double edge and the curious script which seems to float like kelp and foam on a glassy sea. It has the mother-of-pearl traceries on the grip, and the small, worn head of the Old Bearded Man with sea-grey eyes. Should the need arise, may the Light guide your hand and your aim be true."

"Fare well, my friends!
Ilove you all!
-Pio"

---------------------------------------------
Tomorrow there would be laughter and reminiscing about Piosenniel, but tonight was a time of lonely vigil. After Child's reading of the will, several of the Elf's friends found solitary spots on deck to sit and look out at the Sea. Mithadan stood silent in the prow of the ship gazing towards the West, a look of longing on his face. The hobbit Daisy laid her head in Child's lap wishing that things could be different. In response, the older woman stroked her curls and sang one of Lindo's lullabyes. Even the ever ebulient Levanto left the ship, sliding back into the churning waters to go off by himself and think about his friend. While high above all, on the topmost mast, sat the solitary figure of Angara, contemplating the horizon and wondering what happened to the fea of a good dragon after it was slain.

[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-23-2002, 08:05 AM   #622
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo realised another continuation of the BD party, surveyed his friends and shook his head sadly.

"I am sorry. I would join but could never catch up. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Just remember me fondly as you go on your adventures. "
Old 08-23-2002, 09:27 AM   #623
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

OOC---
FANFICTION: There was something I wanted to raise. Some of us talked earlier about editing the RPG on hobit history to post it on the Downs as a fanfiction. Is anyone else interested in helping with this? I would like to do this, and would welcome someone to help (but if not, I'll slog through it myself with your comments, approval, etc.). I posted one question in the freestyle forum to see if anyone else is doing this with another RPG. I also sent Mith a pm asking his opinion. To my knowledge, no one's ever done this with a freestyle RPG, only a moderated one. The difference is that the editing is done after the posts in a freestyle fanfiction rather than before.

I think most of the writing is really strong and I have no desire to tamper with any of that. But there are problems like--some characters like Sam and Frodo dropped out early, the story has no beginning since we evolved out of another adventure, no one ever sent in character descriptions, in some cases the order of posts may need to be altered slightly, in some cases we could use a connecting sentence or paragraph. That kind of thing.

If you want to see an example of a moderated RPG fanfiction, see Gilthalion's Tales of Eriador. (This is where the moderator does the editing before the posts are actually put on the board.) By the way, do we want to keep the separate posting divisions like he does, or run it together to do a "true" narrative? That's the kind of thing that needs talking about.

Anyways, I asked Mith if it would be wise to start a "fanfiction" thread, which would function kind of like a discussion thread. We could decide any general issues or guidelines there, post chapter divisions, put up drafts in cases where I have to add things so people could look and tell me I'm all wet., etc.

What does everyone think? I'll let you know what Mith says. But keep your eyes open, in case we post a Lonely Star revision/fanfiction thread? sharon

[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

[ August 27, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-23-2002, 07:08 PM   #624
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird and Kali slipped over the side of the Lonely Star, to take a midnight swim and talk about Pio and all the things that had been seen in their travels through the First Age. But Bird did not change into her dolphin form, and remained on the surface, treading water, with the help of Kali, and waiting for Levanto.

He came, eventually. He was wearing the shell on the mithril chain, which would never corrode in the salt sea. Bird held her arms out to the Mer-Man, and they embraced for the first time. Then she kissed him gently on each cheek, saying "I know it is not from the one you wanted, but she was ever my friend, and would want her gift to be given."

Levanto held Birdie by the shoulders, and smiling, said "Change to your dolphin form, little human. I also have a gift to give you, since I can never hope to give it to Pio. I would have you come as well, Kali."

Bird took dolphin shape, which was a relief after the human struggle against the element of water. She swam around Levanto and Kali, delighting in her return to the sea, and breach the surface, just for the sheer joy of it. Then Levanto said "Come." and led the way, down into the depths.

"Where are we going, Levanto?" asked Kali.

"To my city. The home of the Mer-Folk." Kali stopped in mid-stroke. "But the Hobbrim are never allowed to enter the city under the sea, Levanto! I cannot go there."

"Tonight you are my guests. I would have you both come to a feast, and tell your tales. Perhaps it will move other of my people to aid you in your search."

The trio swam for about an hour, ever deeper and farther from shore. Eventually they swooped over a vast undersea mountaintop, as easily as Thorondor had breasted the peak of Mount Taras. The three floated at the top of the mountains, as Levanto silently gestured down to his city beneath the sea.

All the city was lit with soft, phosphorescent lights of gold and green and silver shining on the ancient walls and illuminating the windows. Of course the Mer-Folk had no real need for doors and stairways, but many had been preserved for their beauty, in honor of those who had crafted them. The streets also had been left in the old familiar patterns, lined with floating curtains of sea-weed, anenome, and those small, beautiful sea creatures whom Ulmo had blessed with still, vegetative lives.

Fountains again graced the gardens and byways, made from dancing columns of bubbles, or warm, wavering currents of volcanic waters that shimmered transparently in the colder atmosphere around them. In the center of all a great open tower, woven from the most delicate, strong buttresses of coral in many shining hues, stood tall and proud. Here the king of the Mer-Folk ruled an watched over his people as they came and went about their endless Kingdom. And around the city, a vast mountain range encircled and sheltered all.

Bird looked down on Levanto's city, and immediately burst into tears, which mingled with the surrounding sea without a trace. "Oh, Levanto, nothing really ever ends, does it?"

"No, I don't believe it does, Birdie. And that will ever be my comfort and hope. Come, the feast will soon begin."

And so the three swam down from the mountaintop, and Bird was allowed to explore the city of Gondolin for one, last time.

[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 08-24-2002, 07:09 PM   #625
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child stood beside the table in her cabin, with a faraway look on her face. How strange that inanimate objects, things that had no life of their own, could take on such meaning. She gazed at the tattered vellum the hobbit council had given her in recognition for helping the children. Then her fingers strayed to the plain green stone hung on a chain about her neck, never to be removed. Maura had told her it matched the sparkle in her eyes when she was excited or angry.

And now, in front of her, lay a new treasure. The mirror itself seemed very old. Its bronze frame was wrought in intricate designs that resembled vines and leaves clinging to branches suspended over a glazed pool.

Child's memories went back to her friend. Eager to be gone in the morning, Piosenniel would snatch up her mirror at the last instant. She remembered the Elf's exasperated smile as she surveyed her unruly curls bouncing in all directions. Usually, she would toss the mirror to one side and bind back her hair with a single wide ribbon. Then she'd be off to whatever friend or adventure called.

Rose had asked Child if there was any Elf-magic in its frame. Perhaps, it was like the mirror of Galadriel. But Child could not answer.

The hobbit lay the mirror flat on the table and stared into its shiny surface. Ancalimon had said that she should do this both for his sake and for that of her friend Maura. Even Piosenniel had mentioned it in her letter. Three friends, all sadly absent, yet alive in Child's heart.

Child stared transfixed waiting for something miraculous to happen, but nothing did. She looked again and again from many different angles. Still, the only thing she saw in the mirror was her own face. Perhaps something was wrong. She even tried to shake the mirror and gently tap its handle on the table. Once again, her own face gazed up from golden depths.

"Think, little Andreth," she whispered to herself. "Think what the grey peddler was trying to tell you."

They had been talking about history, or rather Child had been complaining about the lack of hobbit history. She had been grieving that Maura's name would be kept secret even from his own people, and that scenes of endurance and valor would forever be lost. Bird called this Eru's gift of forgetfullness, but Child had her doubts about the wisdom of such a gift.

First, Ancalimon had explained there might be other books of lore beyond those written within Arda. Then he had laughed and added something even stranger, that it was not only in written words that the story could be read and understood. And then he told her to gaze into Pio's mirror.

As Child looked again, the clear, sweet voice of Kali came inside her mind, with lilting memories of Beleriand:

I ride on the wind, my eyes drift back
To the receding hill and to you
Hope lies before me, love lies behind
In time, hope will call you to

And then, as she saw her own face reflected back, it hit her like a blaze of fire. It was in her own face and being that hobbit history was recorded, her face and those of her neighbors and friends.

For the words Kali remembered had never been written down. Neither were there any books outlining hobbit hearts or hobbit ways. But, as surely as Maura had once lived and breathed, part of him lay in her people even now. When she thought of Bilbo's writings or Frodo's love of Elvish things, she knew a piece of Maura lived on. And when she heard an ancient song spring from Kali's mind, she knew her people had not forgotten their own secret lore. They had just chosen to preserve it in their own lives, instead of through the books that so many other races had composed.

And which of these would last longer? The books made of paper or the people themselves. Child could answer that without hesitation. She remembered how the hobbits of Beleriand had chosen to safeguard their children, even at the cost of great suffering. And she knew that her neighbors in the Shire, as small and unlearned as they were, with no Elves about to teach them, would still make that very same choice.

And which would Maura prefer? To have his name remembered in some ancient, long dead tale, or to have his people preserve their values in their bones and heart? There was no question here. The hobbits' way with growing things and their closeness to the soil, the love they bore their children, and their willingness to help each other in bad times---all these were written bold even within the Shire. They were her lore and legacy.

And, if she wished her neighbors to find a bit more purpose in words and books as well as in the beautiful earth, that too could be answered by gazing in the mirror. For she, as much as Maura, bore responsibility for the teaching of the little ones, whether in one age or the next.

So Bird had spoken true about Eru's gift of forgetting. It had been given so that Child's people might endure their hardship and their grief. For it seemed that words of telling emptied out of hobbit heads very quickly and slipped through the mists towards an unknown shore.

But perhaps, mused Child, before Eru turned about, he pondered again on how small these hobbits were. And he feared his children might have trouble even remembering who they were. So, along with the forgetting, came one more boon. Eru took unwritten lore and wove it into their hearts and bones.

For, unlike Elves, hobbits could not dwell in fading memories. And, unlike Man, they would have no tomes to spell out the great feats of ancient times. Rather, they would keep their feet in the soil and learn to bring the little things into their daily lives. And in a world filled with battles and murders and solemn dooms, this would not be such a bad thing.

Then Child whispered, "Ancalimon, Maura, Piosenniel, I will not forget your friendship or the gifts of Eru." So she picked up the old mirror and placed it where she could easily see it in the mornings, that its lessons would be remembered as she went about her day.

[ August 25, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

[ August 25, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-24-2002, 08:48 PM   #626
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rose went to visit Child. She was sitting on her bed reading. Rose noticed the mirror and went to look in it. But it was just like a normal mirror. She saw herself. Now with the addition of the mithril fillet in her hair. "That's alright." Rose said to Child. "Even if it's broken it's still pritty."

Child looked up at Rose. "But it isn't broken." She told Rose what she had discovered.
"So you mean," Rose said, looking in the mirror "That when you or me or any hobbit looks in the mirror, They see not only themselves but every hobbit that has come before them. Like each one of us is a history book."

"That's about it."
"And not only the hobbits. We also have our friends in us too."
Old 08-25-2002, 05:14 PM   #627
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

As the first sunlight cascaded over the sea, two hobbits untied the skiff from its mooring. They cranked the winch to place it gently down in the placid waters, and raised up its two square sails.

Rose leaned over to her friend, "Are you sure this is alright? The last time I sailed off on my own, I ended up swabbing decks for six weeks."

Child laughed and pulled the oars on board, in case the wind needed a little extra help. "It's fine. I've spoken with Mithadan, and told him we'll return before nightfall. He gave these charts to me, and made me promise to take someone along. So you're the one I've chosen."

Rose tugged at a heavy wicker hamper, pushing it off the deck of the Star into Child's welcoming arms. "What is this?" she asked.

Child smiled and shrugged, "Just enough to keep us going until sundown!"

The two were soon on their way. A brisk wind gusted from the west and sent the little skiff skimming over the waters. Rose manned the sails, while Child called out instructions, balancing the navigation charts on her lap. By mid-morning, a fair-sized island loomed in front of them.

"There it is!" called out Rose, with excitement in her voice.

Child nodded, and Rose trimmed the sails to guide the boat into a small harbor. Then, working together, they steered it through the shallows and dropped anchor over the side.

The hobbits ran through the shallow waters onto the sandy beach. The minute Child glanced around, a thought popped into her head. How the Stoors must have loved this! The waters lay all around, and the brown sand cliffs were pocked with many sea caves. Child wondered how many hobbit children had run down exploring when the tides were low. Some of the families must have made their living by farming and fishing in the sea, perhaps not too differently than Kali and his kin.

But the main settlement would have been on top of the hill. The women took some provisions with them from the hamper and slung their packs across their backs. It was the same pack Child had carried on her trip to Gondolin. Rose and Child climbed upward for a while, then walked across a series of grassy plains. There was no evidence that their folk had ever dwelt there, no broken down buildings of stone or small burrows cut into gentle banks. Thousands and thousands of years had passed. Everything and everyone was gone.

But still, Child was not unhappy. The sun was bright, and her friend walked beside her. Bird had once told her that, if you flew high in the heavens, it was possible to see the outlines of fields from hundreds or even thousands of years ago. If only she could be a bird, she would speed upward and look for tell-tale hints of farming. But her feet were not wings, and her eyes saw nothing but tall grasses and little creatures living their own lives.

Ahead of her, there was a grassy knoll shaded by a large grove of trees. Rose had run ahead, and now came sprinting back. She took her friend's hand, and pulled her onward until they came to a patch thick with leafy plants.

Child knelt down and studied their dark green leaves. And then she smiled. For all about her was something that should never have grown in this place. She stood in the middle of a large and vibrant stand of kingsfoil. Men of Numenor had once forced their way upon these peaceful shores, but their stay had been brief and brutal. No, this lush field was not the gift of men. For the Elf Piosenniel had transmitted the seeds to Child to be lovingly tended by hobbit hands.

After the community had been forced from these shores, the kingsfoil had spread out on its own, seeding and reseeding itself time and time again. Rose and Child stuffed the herbs into overflowing bags to take home to the Star, chatting and laughing at their good fortune. For this treasure might prove helpful in the grim days that lay ahead. Child silently thanked the healer Zira who had zealously guarded these seedlings, first in the camps of Dorthonion and later upon the lonely isle.

After stopping for lunch, Rose and Child pushed their way upward. Ahead, they could see the highest peak on Tol Fuin. The climb became rough. Sometimes, the two women would throw down their heavy bags, as Rose helped Child pull her body over the jagged rocks. Almost dizzy from exertion, they clambored onto the platou which looked down on the entire island. They lay on their backs panting, gazing up into the skies.

In a little while, Child pulled herself up and peered around the stony peak. There was no question in her mind. Fields and buildings may disappear with the passage of time, but great peaks and rocky ledges do not change so quickly. There was the cliff where she and Maura had sat watching the distant battle scene. Here, she had said her goodbyes to Ancalimon and her hobbit kin. And there, in that spot, Bird and Angara had stamped and snorted, urging the two hobbits to be on their way.

It was only a few days ago by the reckoning of the Lonely Star, but in the world of Maura and Lindo thousands of years had spun by. Now, wildflowers and silence reigned over all. And rocks were piled up into heaps over barrows. For this high spot, this place which had been their salvation from the churning waters, was clearly where the hobbits had chosen to place their dead.

Child asked Rose to take the two bags with herbs back down the slope, and she would catch up in just a bit. Then, the woman wandered about the ledge wishing she could know exactly where the bodies of her friends lay. She saw a few scratches on some large boulders which looked as if they might be inscriptions, but too many years had passed to read any of the letters with certainty.

So she sat on the stony ground and did what she had come to do. First, she sang a lullabye to Lindo and his Snowhobbits, and to all the folk who had been so kind to her in that place of shadows where they had been held. And then, she sang again, this time for Maura and all that he still meant to her. And she chose Lindo's song that told of sadness and separation, and hope and reunion in some distant place. And when she finished, she cried. But her tears were gentle ones.

Then she left that hill again, this time on her own. And she hurried down to be with her friend Rose, and to take her precious herbs back to the Star. And the two hobbits chatted about what they had seen on Tol Fuin, and talked about some of the things they expected to find in Numenor.

But, as the skiff sailed towards the west, Child began wondering whether she was now meant to take a new path in life. For a hobbit can not live only in memories.

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-26-2002, 12:14 AM   #628
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

open

Old 08-26-2002, 03:02 PM   #629
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

The Lonely Star lay anchored near a small island which lay to the south and west of Tol Fuin. After all had returned to the ship and fallen asleep, Mithadan had quietly piloted the vessel to its new location and had taken the skiff to shore. The island was small, with a few trees and little by way of brush and other vegetation. However, the meager greenery, barely visible in the night, held no interest for Mithadan.

It had taken nearly an hour for him to find a place where he could come ashore; the island's coast was rocky and treacherous. Once on land, Mithadan had searched for and quickly found a small hillock capped with a broad, flat stone. He sat with his back to the stone and rested for a moment. It was said that, in ages past, the stone bore runes upon it. Whether they had worn away with time or could still be read Mithadan could not tell. There was not enough light to see. But Mithadan knew what they said, whether they could still be read or not: "Turin Turambar Dagnir Glaurunga" and below that "Nienor Niniel".

The silence was disturbed by a faint rustle and Mithadan was shaken from his reverie by a voice. "Dreaming of slaying dragons, Man?" Mithadan sought for and found two glowing cat-like eyes nearby. "No, Angara. Just paying my respects to a distant relative. I had sought for Tol Morwen in the past but had never found it. I had begun to believe it was a legend."

"I would think that this journey would have taught you that some legends are true," replied Angara.

"And that many worthy acts never become legends," agreed Mithadan.

"You have grown, child of Man," said the dragon. "But not enough to learn that leaving the ship alone by night may be dangerous. Will you return now or do you intend to sail to the Grey Havens?"

Mithadan laughed quietly. "And you have not learned that it is not polite to use Osanwe to pry into other's thoughts," retorted the Man. "But I am touched by your concern. I will return now, I think." With that, Mithadan rose and made his way back to the boat.

Angara waited a moment, then reached out to touch the stone with a claw in respect. Here lies one to whom I owe thanks for setting to right great evil done by my corrupted cousins.

To her great surprise, she felt a light tickle in her mind. I heard that, dragon. You see, we are not so different you and I. Not far away, Mithadan chuckled as he pushed the boat back out to sea.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:04 PM   #630
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Tulë sat in the darkness and played the interchange between the man and the dragon over in his mind.

'They care for each other! That is good to see.' The hint of a smile creased his face. 'And Mithadan has the skill of osanwe! I should have guessed. It will make my plans for tomorrow easier to accomplish.'

He turned his thoughts back to the slow wheeling of the stars as they moved through this small section of the sky. 'Beautiful!' he thought. Watching them intently, he pushed that small, insistent thought of the West from his mind, for a while.

[ August 27, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-27-2002, 08:10 AM   #631
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

........Home. She was finnally home. After a lifetime of wishing for adventure she had finnally got it. But now it was time to relax in a familar hole with family and friends. As she walked through Hobbiton she could see Sam tending to a garden. And Frodo was there resting in the afternoon sun. As she walked down the path she passed Child and managed to wave to her before she hurried off. Now she was in the center of town. Little hobbit children were playing. But some of them she had never seen in the Shire. They were sitting in a circle around two older hobbits. Lindo and Maura. She walked towards them and they looked up at her with wide grins. But as she ran to meet them they were gone. The town around her started to dissapear. The ground beneith her feet vanished and she fell. Down down down. Into a wide ocean. The curent was too fast. She was drowning.........

Rose sat up in bed. It was only a dream. It was still dark but as Rose looked outside she could see a band of light on the horizon. Instead of going back to sleep Rose got up to get something to eat.

[ August 27, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 08-27-2002, 11:27 AM   #632
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Sunrise, and a fresh easterly breeze broke over the Lonely Star. Tulë stood on deck trying to gauge distances over the water.

Given the size of the caverns beneath Meneltarma, he had estimated that there was a possibility of having to rescue at least a thousand hobbits. If that were indeed so, then twenty ships would be required for the effort. Each ship could maximally handle fifty of the captives plus a minimal crew. The Lonely Star and its crystal would remain just beyond the southern bay, keeping a watch for any possible problems to the operation coming from that direction.

The problem that plagued him at the moment was how to transport all those ships and the Lonely Star out of that time period. It would not matter how successful the rescue was in Númenor if they were all sucked into the great rift that would occur when Ar-Pharazôn invaded Eressëa and the Valar broke the world.

In addition, several other questions niggled at the back of his mind. Given that the swan-ships must avoid the great armada launched from the western ports of the isle, that meant a longer southeastern route for them to avoid being seen. He ran through a series of mental calculations to determine when it would be best to send the call to the ships.

As to the call, itself, he had thought to use one of the palantíri located on the island. But now that he considered this in a more studied way, it was beginning to present problems. The growing sentiment of enmity against all things Western would preclude him from searching one out and using it. Though perhaps it would be possible for the man, Mithadan, to send the call. He would have to present that idea to him and get his thoughts on its viability.

The elf brought himself back to his original problem.'For now, though, let us work on the tactics of shifting en masse.'

He walked down to the galley to enlist a few suitable candidates for a trial run.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:42 PM   #633
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Helen's post

3319, Second Age, Day #2

Phura says that the second line of the poem should read calls, not call. I don't want it to. I want Dorthonion to call me now. And I want to go back. But that was 64 years ago, and I'm not even sure of the way. Loremaster says we were free then, and could see the sky all the time, not just when we swim out from under the rock roof.

Then we tilled our land so sweet,
And wild we roamed the mountainside,
We sang and danced on merry feet
Under the sky so blue and wide.

[ September 02, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-27-2002, 02:27 PM   #634
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Most of the companions were seated around the table at various stages of beakfast. Even Angara was present, sitting on Child's lap and wheedling small tidbits of toast and jam from her.

Tulë cleared his throat to draw their attention away from the food and asked for some volunteers.

'When you are all done eating,' he said, their faces now looking at him expectantly, 'I want to see if we can determine how to move more than just this ship to another time. We'll need to be able to do that once the captives are gotten on board. We cannot stay in or near Númenor. I'll need several people to help me try out an idea that I've had.'

Daisy volunteered immediately, as did Rose. Tulë smiled at both of them, 'Not this time, little ones, though I do thank you for your enthusiasm. I will need both your pairs of sharp eyes on deck to tell me details of how it goes.'

Angara, feeling somewhat uneasy about the word 'volunteer', had quietly slipped off Child's lap and under the table, where she was slowly making her way to the steps.

'Ah, Angara, you were first in my list of candidates to help.' said the elf, spying the escaping dragon. 'Along with Veritas, Khelek, and Mithadan.'

'Why can they volunteer and we can't?' chimed in Rose and Daisy together.

'Because they each have a strong talent for osanwe, mind to mind communication, and that is what I'm hoping will solve the problem of moving the ships.'

'And how do you propose to do this?' asked Khelek,looking sceptical.

'I want Veritas to remain on board the Star and set the crystal for a date you've already visited, one we can easily verify as having reached. The rest of us will take the small skiffs out in a line from the ship. I'll position myself in the lead boat, about two miles out, with the rest of you evenly spaced between me and the Star. Then you must open your minds to me and I will link us each to the other as a whole. When Veritas then activates the crystal it is my thought that we can all shift together.'

'Sounds rather "iffy" to me.' returned Khelek. 'Have you thought through the possible outcomes for this experiment?'

'As best I could, having never done or heard of something being done like this before. I think we are looking at three possible outcomes - first, it could be completely successful; second, it may prove a complete failure, with only the Star shifting and us left sitting in our boats. Third, might prove the "interesting" one - it's possible that the Star and just ourselves will be able to shift, leaving us in the drink, so to speak, when we come into the new time frame.'

He sat down at the table and poured a mug of tea for himself, stirring in a little honey. The clink of the spoon against the pottery was loud in the uneasy silence.

'I'm open to suggestions, comments, concerns about this.' he offered. 'Anyone?'

[ August 27, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-27-2002, 03:34 PM   #635
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan glared accusingly at Angara. He didn't learn this from me, came the response. Tule smiled, and said, "You have admirable skills for a Man, but you need practice. Even your whispers can be heard by one who pays attention."

"Well, we must learn what will work if we are to plan well," said Mithadan. "Perhaps we could run a line between the boats. That might ensure that our vessels are not left behind."

With that, a great deal of discussion ensued as the crew of the Lonely Star climbed to the main deck and began preparations for the grand experiment.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:48 PM   #636
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

There was much discussion between the man and the Elves as to Tule's proposal. Child sat over on the side, and said little. She looked about and saw that the other hobbits also seemed vaguely uncomfortable.

Somehow, Child could not shake the feeling that she did not like what Tule was proposing. Deep down in the center of her heart, she had a nagging doubt that something was wrong with Tule's ideas. Child had a nasty image of Mithadan floundering about in the water, his boat left thousands of years behind him, with large sea creatures darting to and fro in anticipation of their dinner. Plus, a line strung between the ships did not seem like much protection.

She went over and tugged on Tule's sleeve. "I need to ask some questions. I would rather you didn't go ahead with this, but if there's no other way, I suppose you must." Child pushed her small frame forward. "I don't know much about osanwe, but common sense says we should make this trial as safe as we can. Why can't we bring the Star close to one of the nearby islands? Tol Morwen would be a good choice. Then, the small skiffs could sail into the shallower waters. The Star will still be two miles out, so there's no danger of running aground. And, since Tol Morwen was deserted by the Second Age, no one would discover us. You could even station Angara in the skiff which is in the deepest waters, since the dragon at least has wings to carry her out of trouble."

"Then, if the skiffs don't transport, the four of you will only have the problem of swimming about by yourself within striking distance of the shore. You won't have 100 fathoms beneath you, or sea monstors lurking on your tail. If the skiffs do transport, there's absolutely no reason it shouldn't work equally well in deep water the next time you try."

[ August 28, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-28-2002, 02:49 AM   #637
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Tulë sketched a diagram of the Star and the four skiffs, linked together in a line, on the deck with a piece of charcoal. 'I had considered the idea of the rope, Mithadan. But to my thinking it would provide a tenuous, physical link, at best. I had the horrifying image of 200 ships linked linearly to the Star with a rope, and as the Star shifted there being nothing but the empty rope left trailing in the water.'

He smudged out the rope lines drawn between the ships, and drew an oval within which the Star and the four boats lay. 'Perhaps I can be clearer in how I mean to link us. I know I can draw all of our minds together as one, if you will allow it. But besides this link there can be a communication, if you will, with the elements comprising the boats and ship and the water and air which define their spatial boundaries. I am fairly certain I can do this - to bring all if it together as one whole unit. What I need to know is how long I must do it in order to successfully shift us.'

He stood and rubbed the drawings out with the toe of his boot. 'Of course, once the swan-ships with their elven captains are with us, they will be able to more easily assist in the effort. Unfortunately, there will not be time for trying out theories once they have come.'

'And Child, I thank you for your suggestions that we move into shallower waters. It shows the loving concern you have for your companions. And we can certainly do as you suggest if it proves the group consensus. But I would like to try this out soon and then move on to other parts of the plan for Númenor which must also be organised. Is there any way I can allay your fears? Would it help if I put the weakest swimmer nearer the boat and the stronger swimmer out by me?'

[ August 28, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-28-2002, 12:39 PM   #638
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

While the companions discussed their options, Tulë enlisted the aid of Daisy to lower the four skiffs.

'You mean to do this, don't you?' she asked, as the last one made its small splash on the waves.

'I do.' he said, climbing down to one of them. 'And I'm counting on you and Rose to be my observers from this standpoint. Tell the others to come out when they are ready - Mithadan closest to me, then Angara, and closest to the boat will be Khelek. Ask them to put themselves in a well spaced line between my skiff and the Star. Tell Veritas I will let her know when to use the crystal.'

He pushed off from the Star. Then, waving to Daisy who had taken up her position at the railing, he rowed himself into position and waited.

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-28-2002, 01:40 PM   #639
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

His skiff bobbing in the light chop, Mithadan sat holding the gunwales as he waited for the shift. He wore light clothing and his feet were bare against the event that he would be (or was) dropped into the sea without his craft.

He watched as Tule waved back to Daisy on board the Lonely Star. Then in his mind, he heard Tule. Ready everyone? He waited quietly, trying not to transmit his apprehension. Then he felt Tule again but heard or perceived no words. Rather he felt a contact as if he and the Elf were somehow connected. Then he felt Tule transmit a message, Now, Veritas!

Mithadan's last thought before his suroundings seemed to shimmer was that Tule's 'voice' had sounded somewhat different.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:18 PM   #640
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

It was a sphere of bright connections which cradled the Lonely Star, the skiffs, and the sea and air surrounding them. Now along the long axis, Tulë connected all the minds in a tightly focused line and held them gently. A small feeling of surprise came through from Mithadan but was quickly smoothed over.

Veritas engaged the crystal, and the elf felt the excitement and apprehension of the others flare in colors along the link. But it held!

He felt the skiff beneath him rock gently in the waves as he released the connections, and a warm breeze ruffle his hair, now damp with sweat.

We did it! came the cry from Veritas. Shall we shift back now?

A moment if you will! I need to catch my breath! Then to the others, a gentle sending, You did well! How do you fare?