The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-08-2004, 11:18 AM   #521
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Mae Govannen Alatįriėl Lossėhelin ! Good to see you again!

Banners?
BANNERS?

Where did you find Banners? You have pictures, Mayhap?
Old 03-08-2004, 06:38 PM   #522
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Quote:
Needer = he needs vittles. Actually, everybody (and hobbits in particular) are a needer of vittles. That's a very nice pic of Samwise.
I agree, though Sam doesn't look so hungry in the picture. Perhaps that smile was caused by daydreams about food.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:25 PM   #523
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Where'd you get the banners! Alatariel?!

I want a Rohan banner!
Old 03-08-2004, 09:22 PM   #524
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, I got a collectible back in December when I went to Trilogy Tuesday. It's called the Sideshow Weta Collectibles The Lord of the Rings Film Frame Collectibles.

It's very cool since there are frames of pics from the real reels that were used in the filming. It's most excellent. For FotR, I have a pic of Sam and Frodo (when Sam is packing) in Rivendell; TTT is Sam when he's saying "but those rain clouds might" and RotK is Theoden and Aragorn together...

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:55 PM   #525
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Thumbs up

Imladris, sounds very VERY cool.

*says to self, "DUH!" and actually clicks link) Looks cool, too. Shame the frames are random.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)

Last edited by Samwise; 03-08-2004 at 11:00 PM.
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:20 PM   #526
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Good to see you again!

Although Elijah did seem out of place,in a way, still I like the movie and I like his acting in it. Maybe I find his innocence (naivete) refreshing. I think that's why I have avoided "All I Want" (Try Seventeen) like the plague, since it's all about LOSS of innocence.
Helen: Thanks...I'm glad to be back under my real identity. I did like Elijah, but he just seemed a little too young for his character. I know he played a 50 year old hobbit, but sometimes he just looks sooooo young.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:32 PM   #527
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

Quote:
Mae Govannen Alatįriėl Lossėhelin ! Good to see you again!

Banners?
BANNERS?

Where did you find Banners? You have pictures, Mayhap?
Quote:
Where'd you get the banners! Alatariel?!

I want a Rohan banner!

Raefindel & Helen: Thanks...I am really glad to be back in my very own Barrow again. Yessss, presccioussss...lusssccious ssscrumptiousss bannners!! Unfortunately, the Arwen banner is sold out, but Aragorn's banner and others (including a couple from Rohan) are still available. This is also the site where I buy my weapons.

They are here!!

Last edited by Alatįriėl Lossėhelin; 03-09-2004 at 05:36 PM.
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 12:43 AM   #528
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

I don't know what it is about these cards.....

...actually, yes, I do--I like the pictures. The one -- well, the lot of cards I won recently is actually the first of these cards that I ever saw, and that was last year sometime. LOL---FOUR of the same card. Nine Walkers, four cards, four Hobbits...anywho, I'll have gifts for some upcoming birthdays...that's what's good about getting doubles...or in this case, quadruples, if you follow me...
Sadly, on this auction, there was no picture. Maybe I can find one...

[EDIT]
Okay, try Here

Quote:
Nine Walkers? Hey, I'm not exactly flying, here... ~Bill the Pony
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)

Last edited by Samwise; 03-13-2004 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:00 AM   #529
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Those banners are really cool! But since the Arwen is sold out I may just have to paint it on my wall.

I may just have to ressurect that old thread about decorating your house Middle-earth style. What was that one called? I'm renovating my house and need everyone's input.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:09 PM   #530
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Here's that thread, Rae: Decorating Room. Let us know what you decide to do - better yet, put up pics when it's done!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 01:15 PM   #531
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Thanks, Estelyn! That's a sure thing. If I put up pics now It might scare people!
Old 03-13-2004, 03:44 PM   #532
Catlyn21
Pile O'Bones

Location: Probably stalking Orlando. Or Viggo. Or Dom. Or Johnny Depp, for that matter.
Catlyn21 has just left Hobbiton.
Okay, lets see:

*I've painted my room in colors that I found "Elf-like" (beige and a dark green, with dark wooden furniture and silver accents)
*Bought a rather costly mirror, also deemed "Elf-like"
*9 posters of LOTR
*2 Calendars, one for my room, one for my locker
*My Legolas action figure (or doll, take your pic)
*2 binders full of pictures cut from magazines, all LOTR
*2 LOTR diaries
*All 3 soundtracks
*Extended and regular editions of first two movies
*Bootleg copy of 2nd movie (I'm very proud of it)
*Books - too many to name, anything I could get my hands on
*"Making of the movie" books
*The one ring (obviously)

Okay, that's probably boring you. I just like bragging!

< I just realized my location makes me sound like a total fangirl........
Catlyn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 07:36 PM   #533
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

From now on, I don't think I'll be able to sleep without being creeped out. Today, my family surprized me with... an Aragorn cardboard-standup! Since my room is pretty small and all of the walls are blocked by something, I haven't found a proper place for his majesty yet. So now I have to go to sleep, staring at Aragorn!
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 08:50 PM   #534
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

An interesting problem, indeed. But I don't think you'll be getting a lot of sympathy on THIS forum.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:56 PM   #535
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
An interesting problem, indeed. But I don't think you'll be getting a lot of sympathy on THIS forum.
I understand her problem!
My sister has a Legolas standee that her friends purchased for her. It freaks her out so much (even though she loves Orlando Bloom) that it can't be in her room, so it is forced to be in the extra bedroom/junk room.

It freaks out my dad, and when we have it out our dogs bark at it

Standees can surprisingly be very freaky
Old 03-14-2004, 01:58 PM   #536
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Yes indeed they can. I have one (Aragorn) in the corner of my room, and whenever I wake up in the middle of the night, I get scared out of my wits because I think there's a man in the corner of my room, watching me. What's more, it's right across from my bed, so it looks like he's leaning against the wall, in a rather Ranger-ish fashion, watching me sleep. Seems a bit too stalker-ish for my taste.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 02:29 PM   #537
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've fixed my fright problem, actually. Now I just lay him face down during the night. However, he scared my cat today. My sister heard the cat entering my room and when she went to see what he was doing (I wasn't home), he was standing inside my doorway, STARING at Aragorn, his tail puffed up!
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 05:14 PM   #538
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Yeah, I don't think I'll ever own one. They'd scare the living daylights outta me, too.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:26 PM   #539
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Cards yet again....

I recieved two more cards from the obscure card game in the mail today:
"Pressing On" which has a fairly nice pic of Sam standing in the mouth of that odd little diamond-shaped cave, w/Frodo behind him. You can only see Sam's back, but the wind is blowing his cloak out, which looks kind of cool.

The other is
"Sam: Needer of Vittles"--which is a FOIL. Very cool. A nice close up of Sam....you can almost see the color of his eyes.... *ahem*....
Old 03-16-2004, 08:10 PM   #540
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

YIKES!

I recieved one of my latest ebay purchases--a "lot" of Frodo&Sam cards (not the obscure trading card game) and stickers. !(forgive my long-windedness....)
WOW! 120+ of scenes from FOTR, TTT, and ROTK! Some of them don't depict very happy scenes, but a lot of good closeups of Frodo AND Sam (some where you can actually see the color of his pretty eyes....) quite a few close-ups of Frodo too, Miss Lynn. Among the 120+ were included four identical valentines, all of your Li'l Mr. Wood/Frodo in Shelob's lair, holding aloft the Phial, which read, "May This Ring True--Have a Happy Valentine's Day."

A few of the cards are of the Dundelings and the seige of Rohan, some of Sauruman and/or Wormtounge, and a few of Gandalf---also one of Gandalf and the Balrog at Kahzad Dum. There's one of the Watcher in the Water, Some are of the Orcs at Helm's Deep (Ick!)...birth of the Uruk-Hai (double ICK!) -- plus one or two of Gimli. One depicts the Fellowship in the Elven boats going down the Anduin. There are foil stickers included as well, Saruman, Theoden,Gimli, Wormtounge, and Gandalf the White. One is of the avalanche on Cahadras One, sadly, is of Frodo snapping at Sam that he will not leave Gollum, which I didn't like but could handle, thank goodness they didn't include the one of Sam bawling his eyes out after Frodo told him to go home....I couldn't have stood that. There are some Movie cards included too--w/scenes on and off set. Erg...one of them, unfortunately, is of Frodo in the Black Tower, with some nasty Orc grabbing him by the hair (a wonder he didn't pull the wig off). One of the Movie cards (I like the "behind the scenes" ones best) is of "Sam", "Frodo", and--erm--"Gollum" ala Andy Serkis in between them. 'Lil Lijah's got that big boyish grin on his face that I think is so darn cute. Another of the "interesting" Movie Cards is of Sean and 'Lij in partial Orc armor, PJ with them, scoping out something. Looks a tad odd.
Ugh...Creepy Shelob shots....and ah! A jewel...a Movie Card of Sam holding Frodo in his arms on Mt. Doom...AHHH! Where's the Kleenex!?!? *oh, it's right behind me--whew!*
Erg....Evil City...
One of "Frodo" and "Sam" looking at one another--most of what you see is Sam's back, a profile of Frodo and two camera men with the camera aimed at our boys.
Back to the cards...one of Frodo getting a first look at the Ring...the one where the inscription is reflected on his face--big blue peepers and all...Eeek... one of the Cave Troll stabbing Frodo...the look on the little guy's face is NOT pleasant...thankfully we all know how that scenario turned out...
There are a couple of Bilbo in here, too--a few in Bag End... one of him doing his Gollum impression..."Myyy Precious...." {{{shudder}}}
A nice one of Frodo standing on the balcony in Rivendell...one of him, big blue peepers an' all, when he's going to surrender the Ring to the Nazgul...Couple of foil stickers of Frodo and Sam...couple of Frodo in Shelob's Lair...Profile of Sam w/Sting...well, I haven't described ALL of them...but I think it was a great lot, considering (though if I could find actual FANS of Dundelings/Saruman/Sauron/Uruk-Hai/Wormtounge) I'd sell them to them on the spot.
~Stacey, Samwise Gamgee’s #1 Fan
Old 03-17-2004, 02:39 PM   #541
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Maybe one of you really dedicated collectors can help me out? I've suddenly taken an interest in collecting a few more of the action figures - I did have just 3 (all gifts bar one) and I have a sudden urge to get more because they look great! But I cant get some of the ones I want without going on e-bay and paying lots of money, and I'm not the kind of collector who leaves things in the box (don't curse me, I do open them up very carefully!), so I don't like to think I'm paying more just to have the box. Anyway I keep looking on the regular shopping sites and see that a 'trilogy' range will be out soon, a reissue of sorts - is this true? I do want a Boromir quite badly (and not to check to see if he has his 'blades' tattoo!)

Out of interest, I have a rather large collection of Tolkien items myself, including some tapes of Tolkien reading his work aloud, which I hardly dare play they are so old!
Lalwendė is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:42 PM   #542
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
WOW! 120+ of scenes from FOTR, TTT, and ROTK! Some of them don't depict very happy scenes, but a lot of good closeups of Frodo AND Sam (some where you can actually see the color of his pretty eyes....) quite a few close-ups of Frodo too, Miss Lynn. Among the 120+ were included four identical valentines, all of your Li'l Mr. Wood/Frodo in Shelob's lair, holding aloft the Phial, which read, "May This Ring True--Have a Happy Valentine's Day."

One, sadly, is of Frodo snapping at Sam that he will not leave Gollum... Erg...one of them, unfortunately, is of Frodo in the Black Tower, with some nasty Orc grabbing him by the hair (a wonder he didn't pull the wig off). One of the Movie cards (I like the "behind the scenes" ones best) is of "Sam", "Frodo", and--erm--"Gollum" ala Andy Serkis in between them. 'Lil Lijah's got that big boyish grin on his face that I think is so darn cute. Another of the "interesting" Movie Cards is of Sean and 'Lij in partial Orc armor, PJ with them, scoping out something. Looks a tad odd....and ah! A jewel...a Movie Card of Sam holding Frodo in his arms on Mt. Doom...AHHH! Where's the Kleenex!?!? *oh, it's right behind me--whew!*

One of "Frodo" and "Sam" looking at one another--most of what you see is Sam's back, a profile of Frodo and two camera men with the camera aimed at our boys.
Back to the cards...one of Frodo getting a first look at the Ring...the one where the inscription is reflected on his face--big blue peepers and all...Eeek... one of the Cave Troll stabbing Frodo...the look on the little guy's face is NOT pleasant...thankfully we all know how that scenario turned out...

A nice one of Frodo standing on the balcony in Rivendell...one of him, big blue peepers an' all, when he's going to surrender the Ring to the Nazgul...Couple of foil stickers of Frodo and Sam...couple of Frodo in Shelob's Lair...Profile of Sam w/Sting...
Samwise: Oooooh, Stacey! I'm envious...those cards sound great!! (Feel free to post them you-know-where!) **slowly turning green** (hey it is St. Paddy's Day!)

Quote:
Maybe one of you really dedicated collectors can help me out? I've suddenly taken an interest in collecting a few more of the action figures - I did have just 3 (all gifts bar one) and I have a sudden urge to get more because they look great! But I cant get some of the ones I want without going on e-bay and paying lots of money, and I'm not the kind of collector who leaves things in the box (don't curse me, I do open them up very carefully!), so I don't like to think I'm paying more just to have the box. Anyway I keep looking on the regular shopping sites and see that a 'trilogy' range will be out soon, a reissue of sorts - is this true? I do want a Boromir quite badly (and not to check to see if he has his 'blades' tattoo!)
Lalwendė: Uh-oh...once you start with these action figures, they get very very addictive!! I started collecting them less than a year ago, and have quite a large collection now. With some figures, I purchase only one, and leave it MIB (mint in box). With the ones I really like, I buy two--one stays in the box, and one goes out on display. I have bought almost all of mine at ElfMart (think WalMart), Target, KB Toys, & Toys R Us. EToys.com also has quite a good selection. I have only purchased one action figure on eBay, and that was only because it was one that was not available in stores, as it was sold only at comic con this past summer (2 Ringwraiths & Twilight Frodo-3 inch). I actually have 6 Boromir's (3 MIB, 3 on display). I had to buy that 3rd one, since he had his dagger and the other 2 figures did not. Just keep checking...you never know what you can find! Every time I go into a store, I head straight to the toy section to see what LotR figures they have, then I'll do the rest of my shopping. Happy hunting!!
Old 03-18-2004, 06:59 AM   #543
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

six?

Six Boromirs? Wow. And I was impressed with my four Gandalfs (one of which is a bookend, BTW.)

Of course, what I *really* wanted when it first came out was a Treebeard. A Big One. With Hobbits en-perched. If they came out with an Ent collection I'd be SORELY tempted.

Then again, maybe I oughta just make my own out of real sticks & twigs & moss.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:37 AM   #544
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

six? We're talking standing figures, right?

Hm....*Looks over to collction table and count Sams....five Sam 'figures....including a mini and my Sam and Bill Polystone....Argh! Gotta beat this record....(of course, as posted above, I do have my several Sam cards to keep me company, not to mention some good pics of Sean OOC...[of course very little Sam collecting will be done until, several months from now, when all of my expensive dental work is complete......])

Quote:
Feel free to post them you-know-where!)
I'll do my best, Miss Lynn, but I find the cards don't scan very well. I will see what I can do.

Last edited by Samwise; 03-18-2004 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:08 AM   #545
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

I just got the Hobbit computer game! Yayness! Unfortunatly, I can only play it on my dad's laptop because our family computer is too old for the software...
Old 03-19-2004, 09:17 PM   #546
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

OhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboy!!!!

[FONT=arial]Look what I've just added to my collection!!!! (okay, it's not in my hands, yet, but.....EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!)[/Font]
I think it's veryveryvery beeeeyoutiful (in a handsome sort of way, if you follow me)
Old 03-19-2004, 11:40 PM   #547
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Wow! that's awsome! You'll enjoy that.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:50 PM   #548
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

:D

I most certainly will, Miss Rae! The artist gave me a Link To Her Site , and her work is just gorgeous!

*DINGDINGDING! Miss Lynn! Frodo Alert!
Old 03-20-2004, 01:18 AM   #549
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Oh, that art you linked to is wonderful. I always do enjoy good fanart

Haven't added anything to my LOTR collection in a long time. I guess I am preparing now for college (I am going to be attending Gonzaga University in the fall), and having to leave all that I do have behind, so I really don't want to make it any bigger than it already is.

But if I find something I must have, I will probably most likely buy it.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:15 PM   #550
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
Six Boromirs? Wow. And I was impressed with my four Gandalfs
Helen: Maybe it’s time for me to go toy shopping. I only have 4 Gandalf’s (3 6-inch & 1 3-inch)…

Quote:
Hm....*Looks over to collction table and count Sams....five Sam 'figures....including a mini and my Sam and Bill Polystone....Argh! Gotta beat this record

Quote:
Feel free to post them you-know-where!)

I'll do my best, Miss Lynn, but I find the cards don't scan very well. I will see what I can do.
Stacey: Well, if you want to talk Frodo & Sam… 19 Frodo’s (15 6-inch, 1 12-inch, 3 3-inch) and 14 Sam’s (12 6-inch, 2 3-inch). Remember, you can never have too many Frodo's or Sam's!!

If you can’t scan the cards, don’t worry about it.

Quote:
OhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboy!!!!
Look what I've just added to my collection!!!!

*DINGDINGDING! Miss Lynn! Frodo Alert!
Stacey: What great Frodo & Frodo/Sam pictures! I wish I could draw like that.

Not really a lot to add to the collection. Just a few 3-inch figures: 1 galloping Ringwraith; set of 3 Rohan army figures (standard bearer, solder & archer). I rearranged my action figures...moved all my hobbits from the entertainment center to the buffet, then behind the figures, I put Hadhafang in its tabletop display. I also bought the really large 'Frodo with Sting in Rivendell' poster, mounted it in a nice frame, hung it over the Hobbit Buffet and mounted my real Sting on the wall next to the poster. It looks sooooo cool!!
Old 03-22-2004, 11:33 PM   #551
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Goodness Miss Lynn...you're adding on to your home, right?

Anyway, my latest addition...four cards from the obscure game, all four of which feature the Nine Walkers. .

Last edited by Samwise; 03-22-2004 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Wanted to add on
Old 03-23-2004, 02:41 PM   #552
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Alatariel - I have now officially become addicted to collecting those figures! You were correct! They are just so detailed I can't resist them.

Now, one thing I did buy today and can recommend to you folks is a set of 10 Tolkien UK Royal Mail postage stamps, featuring Tolkien's own artwork. They are very nice indeed, very, um, classy (I hate that word). I think they were issued last month. Buy them, they only cost around £2.80! I would scan them and post a piccy but it might be against the law or something.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:09 PM   #553
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril Official Addicts

Quote:
Alatariel - I have now officially become addicted to collecting those figures! You were correct! They are just so detailed I can't resist them.

Now, one thing I did buy today and can recommend to you folks is a set of 10 Tolkien UK Royal Mail postage stamps, featuring Tolkien's own artwork. They are very nice indeed, very, um, classy (I hate that word). I think they were issued last month. Buy them, they only cost around £2.80! I would scan them and post a piccy but it might be against the law or something.
Lalwendė: I have to say 'I told 'ee so Sam'...Those figures are fantastic, aren't they? I love them.

I don't know if those stamps are available here in the States, but they do sound classy. Why can't our post office issue LotR stamps like other countries do? Maybe we should start a petition?
Old 03-24-2004, 02:14 PM   #554
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Alas, I must resist all temptation until payday, but I now have ten figures!

See if this link works to the page with the Tolkien stamps. I've just discovered they are buyable online.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/s...&product=AP234
Old 03-24-2004, 04:40 PM   #555
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up Oooh...

The link works...very nice. Sadly, I can't spend money at the moment, either....
Old 03-24-2004, 11:07 PM   #556
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril stamps

Quote:
Alas, I must resist all temptation until payday, but I now have ten figures!

See if this link works to the page with the Tolkien stamps. I've just discovered they are buyable online.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/...s&product=AP234
Lalwendė: Ten figures!! Good for you! Thanks for the link to the stamps...I've bookmarked for later reference as, like my good friend Samwise, I too am unable to spare the funds at the moment.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:55 PM   #557
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Silmaril

Does collecting LOTR-themed songbooks count?

The Starlit Jewel songbook (very good!)-- ordered online, well worth it.
Second edition (wierd pink cover) of The Road Goes Ever On (Swann)-- ebay purchase-- yuck, it smelled like smoke! It's hanging out in the garage til it airs out!
Latest edition (black cover w/CD ) of The Road Goes Ever On (Swann)-- new copy ordered from UK. Happy Helen.

...and... I *just* ordered all 3 movie songbooks on Amazon. (Helen does little dance of glee anticipating the coming riches.)

Someday, maybe I'll add to that, a good clean printout of the filk I've found online... the good stuff. Most of the satire leaves me cold, but there is enough heart-wrenchingly good filk-music out there to keep me looking...

And maybe someday I'll add to *that* a printout of the other canonical songs that I've finally learned tunes for!
Old 03-25-2004, 07:07 PM   #558
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
Latest edition (black cover w/CD ) of The Road Goes Ever On (Swann)-- new copy ordered from UK. Happy Helen.

...and... I *just* ordered all 3 movie songbooks on Amazon. (Helen does little dance of glee anticipating the coming riches.)

And maybe someday I'll add to *that* a printout of the other canonical songs that I've finally learned tunes for!
Helen: Of course it counts...it's Tolkien isn't it?!?! When you say "songbook" do you mean like books with sheet music (for those who are gifted enough to actually read music)? The Swann cd--is that someone playing/singing the Tolkien songs? Movie songbooks: does it include all the music from the 3 films? They sound wonderful...even though I'm definitely not one of those gifted musical people.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:43 PM   #559
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
When you say "songbook" do you mean like books with sheet music
Yes. Usually lyrics, piano music, and guitar chords... Sometimes just lyrics and guitar chords.

You can find transcribed (sometimes referred to as "tabbed") lyrics-and-chords online pretty easily with a search engine.

Quote:
The Swann cd--is that someone playing/singing the Tolkien songs?
Yes, Elizabethan Drawing Room style. TOlkien liked it. For the rest of us it takes a bit of getting used to! But now I like them. And you can use the unes and change the styles for most of the songs if you want to...

Quote:
Movie songbooks: does it include all the music from the 3 films?
Unfortunately no. Only a subset of the songs. They list the songs when you look up the book. Each book as between five and eight songs (or something like that.) As I understand it they are arranged for voice, piano and (chords for) guitar.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:17 PM   #560
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Quote:
Look what I've just added to my collection!!!! (okay, it's not in my hands, yet, but.....EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!)
And as of today, it is in my hands--and so gorgeous, the art as shown on the web doesn't do it justice. The picture is not in color, sadly, but the artist put a wonderful "live" sparkle in Sam's eyes. My copy is, (interestingly enough, I just realized) #3 out of 100 copies.

Beforehand, I recieved a slew of magazine clippings from one of the members of the 'Row (aka my Hobbit Hole on the web), as well as....

Yes! More cards from the "interesting" game! (I can't help myself--I like the pictures!) ;p
  • Fearing the Worst--Frodo in the room at Bree looking out a window, the other three Hobbits sitting up in the bed behind him
  • Tired Traveller--Frodo peering over a rock; looking rather distressed
  • Pippin: Sworn to Service--the scene where he's pledging his service to Denethor
and
  • Hobbit Sword--Merry in his Rohan armor bearing his sword, shouting just before they charge
Edit: Interesting. I'm looking at the backs of the clippings of Sam I was sent, and there are snippets (literally, though in some cases you can read quite a bit) about diff. characters: ie; Ian Holm as Bilbo, Andy Serkis as Gollum (this "snippet" is close to complete), peices of synopses of the film (in this case, ROTK), a pic of Hugo Weaving/Elrond, a pic of Liv Tyler/Arwen, a pic of Sir Ian McKellen/Gandalf, and one large (IMO, TOO large) pic of Gollum.

Plus I forgot--along with the magazine clips I recieved several page-a-day calendar...well, pages--all featuring Sam, some featuring Sam and Frodo. My faves of these (though they break my heart) are two of Sam either bawling or about to bawl--in one, the scene of which I can't place, his eyes are red, and the other I believe is where Frodo tells Sam to Go home, and Sam is saying, "You don't mean that..." AAUUUGH!

Last edited by Samwise; 03-26-2004 at 09:30 PM.