The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #521
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
*shrugs* Just because I haven't completely given up hope...

A question: the rules say, "The Lovers can only win if they survive together." Is this the same scenario as with wolves, that if the number of the rest of us equals them (i.e., 2-2), they win?
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #522
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Oh, well this is fun. NOT!

Thanks, Ang. I don't know if you're really the lover or just a wolf, but you've played well. Nice setup.

Yes, everyone, listen to Ang's sweet, soothing voice. Heed his words. Let him lead you to your death. Vote for me so he can win. "Vote for me and all his wildest dreams will come true!"

I still want to sit around, cause if you all vote for me, I want to do it to. If there's any chance I can keep Ang from winning, I want to take it.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #523
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
still want to sit around, cause if you all vote for me, I want to do it to. If there's any chance I can keep Ang from winning, I want to take it.
Does that mean you'd choose the villagers to win over the Lovers? *hopeful smile to Gurthang, to Ang* Of course... that would just mean Kath instead of Gurthang toDay, but if Gurthang is fine with that, so am I...
Old 07-03-2006, 11:42 AM   #524
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
Thanks, Ang. I don't know if you're really the lover or just a wolf, but you've played well. Nice setup.
So I'm definitely either a lover or a wolf? No chance of me being innocent? I say. Well, Gurthang, I heartily agree, but I do deeply wonder how you know...

Maybe, just maybe, perchance, you just made yet another slip, Master Wolf. I've had enough of co-operating with you in villainy. From now on I serve the cause of True love alone.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:51 AM   #525
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Oh, and for the last time-this is the pretty-much-impossible task we Lovers have to achieve-

To either survive alone or with one passenger, innocent or guilty. (Who as I see it needn't necessarily die.)
Old 07-03-2006, 12:00 PM   #526
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

While I'm waiting...

I'm waiting for an answer from my people (aka Cailín) to get back to me, and then I'll tell ya'll what's up.

So, "have I ever given you a reason not to trust me? ( ) I know this is difficult for you, but, do us a favor, and stay here. And try not to do anything... shtupid."
Old 07-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #527
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

What's the question you're seeking an answer to? I posted the only terms of a possible Lover win above.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:40 PM   #528
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Oh yeah. I told you I wasn't a wolf. (*Dares any other innocent, living or dead , to disagree*)
Old 07-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #529
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I have no idea whats going on here anymore, and I'm going to be gone until the deadline.

++ANG

Why not? Seems everyone else is just randomly voting
Old 07-03-2006, 02:36 PM   #530
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Well, Cailín hasn't gotten back to me yet, but we're running low on time. So here's what's got to happen.

We lynch Kath toDay. This leaves three possibilities for toNight:

1. I am killed. This would leave the Lovers against three innocents for an easy passenger victory.

2. The Lovers are killed. This would leave three innocents left with me for, yet again, an easy passenger victory.

3. An innocent is killed. This would leave two passengers, me, and the Lovers left. This is basically the same situation as toDay, in so much as the Lovers or wolves are going to win, but it is up to the innocents to decide which team.

Now, I'm going to try to make sure that Option 2 is carried out. If I fail, than either Option 1 or, more likely, Option 3 will occur. In which case you guys are in the same boat as we thought you were in toDay.

So, Firefoot and Taliesin, shall we lynch Kath? Or you can go with me, but then it's an almost guaranteed option 3 (passengers loss).

Kath's vote just now doesn't change anything, as just my vote and one of yours can still change the outcome. As much as I'd love for you to vote Ang (pretty please? ), I doubt it will happen.

Oh, and Kath, I told you so.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #531
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Sorry Kath. You were a cunning and skilful comrade. But Love is my Mistress and I had to obey Her. That involved ruining you.

Remember, passengers, your last flimsy chance of success dies if I die.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:50 PM   #532
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Sorry Kath. You were a cunning and skilful comrade. But Love is my Mistress and I had to obey Her. That involved ruining you.

Remember, passengers, your last flimsy chance of success dies if I die.
Yeah, passengers, if you believe that, then you have already lost.

Oh, and yes, I also am sorry Kath. Sorry that we all have to die so that a traitor will get his just due.

Just got word back from Cailín. She said some intersting things. Among which is that either Ang and I will both die toNight, or neither will. I can't out him without dying myself, which is very tempting. Also, if I try to kill Lalaith, no one dies. Interesting, that is.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #533
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

++Kath

Works for me.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:57 PM   #534
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Gurthang, don't take it too personally. I had to betray you, y'know, in my position. Wouldn't be nearly so interesting an endgame if I hadn't done, I'm sure you'll agree.

But we'll leave this negotiation for Night.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:58 PM   #535
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Sweet.

++Kath

Thanks, Firefoot, you're an absolute doll. Just for that, you can be my (unofficial) Lover.

"And Kath... it never would have worked between us... I'm sorry." *

*last PotC quote. I promise.

P.S. Ang, we will have an interesting endgame, I can assure you that.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #536
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Old 07-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #537
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Even had I not been a wolf lover, your PotC irritations merit any means to silence them!
Old 07-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #538
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I rather liked them. So there.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #539
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Okay. Day has ended.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:59 PM   #540
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
"It is over, oh, all our troubles and journeys are past, oh," sang a mysterious voice as dusk settled over the Olc Duit-Siu.

Sitting in a wide circle, seven passengers were waiting for the final scores to be settled. The wind had turned, the sea was calm and all the secrets every individual had been hiding (except, perhaps, some of Taliesin's, who still had failed to explain his tendency to whisper kill, kill under his breath) were out in the open. It had been a long day, a treacherous day and a desperate day. Lalaith was squinting against the red setting sun, trying to soak up a little last minute tan. Anguirel was staring at her with a vague smile that did no longer go unnoticed. Gurthang and Kath had never looked quite so downcast and exchanged hateful looks, as if trying to blame the unfortunate turn of events on each other. Firefoot, Durelin and Taliesin looked about nervously, still quite unable to believe that they were calmly sitting in the company of four known villains and not doing anything about it.

It was like the calm before a storm. More accurately, in the middle of a storm.

Suddenly, Gurthang looked as he had come to a decision. He addressed the three remaining innocents. "I shall save thee," he whispered. "Trust me and you may walk away unscathed. Kill Kath. She'd never help you."

"What, who, me?" squeaked Kath, very unwolvishly. "Eurgh, men! Why am I always surrounded by men?"

"The sun shall set soon, Kath," spoke Anguirel, never leaving his eyes of his true nemesis, the Plank Operator. "You will not see it rise again."

Kath hissed as Durelin and Firefoot, who still seemed rather dazed, bound her to the railing.

"If it weren't for Lalaith, dear… but ah well, let us not dwell on these nasty things." Sir Anguirel Spens grinned evilly.

Kath struggled helplessly against her bonds, a red glint in her cunning eyes.

"Look!" said Lalaith, pointing in the direction of the horizon. "The sun is setting. Let the games begin."

---

Captain Cailín's Log

Oh, where will we sail from here?

A wolf to die,
A wolf to take vengeance,
A wolf to love,
And three unknowing passengers hoping they chose the right path.

Please stay tuned… stay silent… stay vigilant… and tomorrow you shall know whether it is a righteous wind that's blowing.

It is now Night 8. The final narration will be up tomorrow. Please refrain yourself from commenting on the game till then.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:45 AM   #541
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Finale

Far away, west of the most western seas, the sun sets in the east.

In the red sunlight of the warm summer evening, a lone fisherman on the shores of the Island of Brizal saw an old ship approaching the small harbour. He shielded his eyes against the sun to get a better view. It had been a long time since Brizal had seen any unknown ships near its shores and it was a sign that usually did not bode well. His eyes fell upon the name of the ship: Olc duit-siu. Ill shall befall thee in the ancient tongue of the Island. A bad omen. The fisherman abandoned his post and ran to the village to warn the people.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:46 AM   #542
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Aboard the same ship, tranquillity lingered. Kath was still bound to the railing and Firefoot and Durelin were standing before her, unsure how to proceed. Firefoot, especially, was beyond the state of having a sense of foreboding. Guiltily, she avoided the gaze of her fellow passengers: after all, it was she who had decided the fate of the ship would be in the hands of Gurthang, self-proclaimed leader of the werewolf pack. As she eyed the plank operator, who was casually observing the tops of his fingers while furtively glancing at Anguirel every once in a while, she doubted him again.

If there were any chance of surviving, Gurthang would take it.

The burning sun sank beneath the horizon, and a change seemed to grab hold of the villains of the ship. Lalaith sat up a little straighter.

"Kill her, now," said Gurthang to the passengers, gesturing at Kath, who had now bared her teeth and raised her head up to the grey-blue sky.

"You are so harsh," the wolf-girl sulked. "Even more treacherous than that wimp Sir Anguirel."

"You'd better do as he says," said Anguirel, who had become rather philosophical about his chances. "Lest you see love survive after all."

Taliesin stepped forward and Durelin and Firefoot looked at each other. "All right," said the ninja.

She reached for a weapon and in that instant, the almost peaceful picture shattered.

A blue moon swept out from under the waves and the wolf-men and girl turned their heads towards it at the exact same moment, as if they were all part of a perfectly timed dance. Lalaith let out a small shriek of excitement. Before the eyes of the shivering passengers, Anguirel, Gurthang and Kath began to transform. It was unlike they imagined, less painful, more fluid, more graceful even, if that could be said of human wolves. Their coats were sleek, varying from brownish red to a cold, silvery grey and their eyes were red and yellow-rimmed, full of ferocity and yet sparkling with inhuman intelligence.

"Aren't they beautiful?" sighed Lalaith.

"Excuse me if I disagree," said Durelin. "I never found fangs and claws terribly attractive."

Gurthang, ignoring Kath and the edible passengers, approached Sir Anguirel Spens with a wolvish grin. "Are you ready to settle the score, old friend?"

"Ladies first," replied Anguirel in a hollow voice. They turned to Durelin and Firefoot.

"What…?" stammered Firefoot. "You promised!"

"Of course. Hide," snarled Gurthang the wolf to the innocent ladies, who only too gladly obeyed. Lalaith prepared to follow them, but found herself face to face with Gurthang.

"Not so fast, milady," he growled. "You chose a different path…"

"Wait!" said a low voice behind him. Gurthang turned away from his prey momentarily, and saw Taliesin, who had lingered behind as Durelin and Firefoot had crawled into the Captain's cabin. "The wolf-girl first. You made a deal. She goes."

"Brave words for a tiny human," said Gurthang.

"Believe me," grinned Taliesin. "I have done more evil than you will ever do, and I need neither fur nor fangs to do it."

"Why, how unfair," said Gurthang. "You have done more evil… and yet when good prevails, you plan to walk away unscathed?"

"That is life," replied Taliesin. "It never is black and white."

Anguirel, Kath and Gurthang exchanged looks. "Well, a promise is a promise," said Gurthang eventually. "And I chose to help the righteous. Unfortunately for our washed up criminal… that description does not seem to include him."

Taliesin took a quick step backwards.

"Never let it be said that I do not take care of my old comrades…," said Gurthang. He rushed at Kath, who was considerably smaller than the other two, and raised her high above him in the air. With a howl, he threw the wolf-girl overboard. Gurthang now turned to Taliesin, who had quickly scurried away and tried to hide behind the wheel. It was hopeless. An instant later, Taliesin had joined Kath in the moonlit water: for the second time in his life abandoned to the mercy of the waves… and the mercy of a dying werewolf.

"I hope she will enjoy her final meal…," Gurthang said pensively, observing Kath. "Now I shall take mine…"
Old 07-05-2006, 04:48 AM   #543
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Gurthang turned away from the sea to find Lalaith and Anguirel had fled. He was not worried. He had already won. He circled the deck, sneaked through the galley, the Captain's cabin… and yet he found no trace of the pair. Out on the deck again, he stared up to the sky, knowing that sooner or later Lalaith and Sir Anguirel would give themselves away, as they had done before. High up in the sky, Gurthang suddenly noted a flurry of movement in the crow's nest - the final place aboard that he had not searched. With a sigh, he climbed up the main mast and as soon as he had reached the top and jumped into the tub, he found himself facing Anguirel once more.

"We are not yet finished," said Gurthang dramatically. "I want the woman."

"Well, you cannot have her," replied Anguirel. "She chose me."

Gurthang did not bother with an answer and launched himself at the football widow. Sir Anguirel growled and jumped between the two, lashing at Gurthang.

"See," said Lalaith, as she was hiding behind Anguirel's back, just out of Gurthang's reach. "I told you. I told you what would happen if you kept hanging out with those furry friends of yours. And you are always: no Lal, nothing important, just having a few laughs and howls. Well, see who was right now, huh?'

"Please, milady, this is not the time," said Sir Anguirel Spens, slightly annoyed. "As you can see, I am quite preoccupied with heroically saving your life."

"And what is the time, then?" Lalaith asked. "When I'm dead and devoured in a few minutes?"

"A little faith, milady," said Anguirel. "After all, love conquers all."

"You cannot promise me that!" cried Lalaith. "Look at him! He looks way stronger than you. anyway. Maybe I chose the wrong wolf."

"Enough, woman," yelled Anguirel, turning on his beloved. In the second Anguirel turned his back towards Gurthang, the Plank Operator-wolf jumped up and reached for Lalaith's throat. It was over in one fatal blink of the eye. Lalaith's head fell far, hit the floor below with a sickening crack and rolled to the other side of the deck. The body of the fair football widow crumpled and sagged to the bottom of the tub.

Anguirel stood motionless. Then he threw his head up to the moon and howled the longest, most painful howl the seas and the world had ever heard.

"All's well that ends well," spoke Gurthang, his red eyes sparkling.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:49 AM   #544
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Without thinking, Anguirel grabbed hold of Gurthang and in a flurry of fangs and flying hair, snapping teeth and poetic, Shakespearian insults they tumbled downwards together. Miraculously, both survived the fall and lie panting next to each other. Firefoot and Durelin, who had hurried out of the cabin at the noise, stood mortified on the deck, gazing at the wolves and poor Lalaith's severed head.

“Look! A light! Land, to starboard! We are saved!” cried Firefoot suddenly.

Once more, the wolves went at each other. They rolled over the deck, no longer caring about who would live or die, as long as they caused each other the most pain.

As the dust cleared and the scene died out, Firefoot and Durelin approached closer. In a corner of the ship Gurthang lay motionless against the railing. One of his eyes was scratched out and his head lolled to the side in a rather disturbing way. The pale silver wolf who had once been Anguirel was lying crumpled up in the middle of the deck, his eyes raised to the heaven where he imagined his love, Lalaith. His tail was waving slightly back and forth in the wind, as if still dancing to that secret tune which had moved the two unlikely lovers for such a long time. It was all over now. No more stars in their eyes, no more songs in their head.

And it was all right.

“Well,” said Durelin, after both women had sat in silence for a while. “Any chance you know anything about navigation, Footie?”

--The End--
Old 07-05-2006, 04:52 AM   #545
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Epilogue

It was a cool summer breeze that blew the Olc duit-siu to the shores of the Island of Brizal. The gathered villagers walked up to the beach, eyeing the ship with some surprise and mild curiosity. It was not the first time a mysterious ghost ship had sailed up to their homes. Actually, the island had once been known for being continuously plagued by lost adventurers and treasure hunters.

A few brave men dared to venture aboard, looking, as always, for forgotten treasure the ship might have carried. They searched the deck, the galley and yet found nothing, not even evidence the ship was actually ever occupied at all. Finally they opened the door to the Captain's cabin and entered. There was nothing to see: the covers were neatly folded and the floor seemed freshly cleaned. However, lying casually forgotten on the floor, there was Captain Cailín's log, unfinished. The leader of the group picked up the log and started reading aloud at Day 1. As he reached the third entry, he stammered and gestured to his fellows.

"We must leave. Immediately. The ship's cursed." They stormed back on the deck and to their great surprise and shock they saw they were no longer near the save harbour of home. Instead, miles and miles of water seemed to be surrounding them. Quickly, the leader opened the log again and read the final entries:

Captain Cailín's log

*A night can have so many colours. A story can have so many endings. Oh, to think a werewolf cannot love, it is folly. Villains love more, love deeper, love longer than heroes. They have nothing else. They need someone to dance with. To talk to. It is just that need that makes them vulnerable.

*With friends like these, who needs enemies?

*With enemies like these, who needs friends?

*Love… the problem to all our solutions. The question to all our answers.

The final entry seemed to be scribbled down hastily, in the handwriting of an overly excited young woman. The ink was fresh and through the words a radiant smile was almost visible.

Welcome aboard! Have a safe journey, and remember, don't let the candles burn out.

Signed,

Captain Cailín

"Ai no, ai no," cried one of the new passengers. "Ill shall befall us!"

Surprisingly and possibly slightly undeserved: PASSENGERS WIN!
Old 07-05-2006, 05:27 AM   #546
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up

Fascinating endgame there. I was waiting with baited breath ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín
Surprisingly and possibly slightly undeserved: PASSENGERS WIN!
Hooray! Well done passengers. Or perhaps I should say, thanks Anguirel and Lalaith. It's probably fair to say that the victory was undeserved, so we should dedicate it to the Lovers, both of whom played superbly. It was clear, towards the end, that the Lovers would play a major role in the outcome, one way or the other, which is why I implored you to help us kill a Wolf (to which I note, with the benefit of hindsight, you both responded, although no doubt you had worked it out for yourselves).

Not entirely satisfied with my own performance, for which I apologise. Except for the major bout of analysis that I did following Rune's lynching, I didn't really have as much time as I would have liked to devote to the game. Still, I'm glad that I was not totally off beam, concerning Kath and Gurthang at least, although I must humbly apologise to Holby and Firefoot. What can I say? You both looked exceedingly Wolfish to me. And, as I said, I am an expert at mistaking Seers for Wolves. As for Ang and Lal, well I hardly suspected you at all, although I do seem to recall making an aisde comment that I found the idea of you two possibly being the Lovers rather amusing.

And I must admonish all those who voted for me on the Day I was lynched for kicking a man when he was down. Having suffered the pain an anguish of the England v Portugal game and ensuing penalty shoot-out, I logged on to find myself cruelly cut down in my prime.

I was relieved, in a way, to be lynched, as the game was becoming incredibly frustrating and, in any event, I would not have been able to contribute much the following day. And there is a kind of grim satisfaction being lynched as an innocent and proving everyone who doubted you wrong. Althiugh I would have loved to have been there for the endgame ...
Old 07-05-2006, 05:32 AM   #547
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

And where are my manners? I should of course thank Cailín and Noggie for a thoroughly compelling game which, despite its frustrations, was nevertheless exceedingly enjoyable. Wonderful narractives - I loved the Captain's Log in particular. And it was great to see the Lovers roles work out so well.

Gurthang - I knew it! I should have stuck by my convictions. Although you can be darn convincing when pleading your innocence.

And Kath - you shall forthwith be know as the expert in "damning analysis".

More later, when I have more time.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:38 AM   #548
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Saucie, you do yourself no justice. Those analyses of yours were pure genius: I sent Ang a PM calling you something quite rude, after you fingered us both as Lovers. I just wish you hadn't kept shifting your suspect list around, we had been desperate to kill Gurth for ages and it was terribly frustrating when you moved your sights off him.
Cailin and Nogrod, thank you for truly wonderful modding, and thank you Ang, no lady could have asked for a more cunning, amusing and gallant Lover.

Although I am slightly perturbed that I have, in the final narration, been portrayed as more fishwife shrew than football widow...I really must work on my WW image...
Old 07-05-2006, 05:42 AM   #549
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
The Eye Quick Post

Good game everybody, save Anguirel and Lalaith of course. I shall forever curse your names.

Thank you Cailin and Nogrod for a good game with facinating narrations.

I must say that I feard that Gurthang and Kath would be lynched in the wake of my death and was much supprised when I looked at the thread some days after my death and found that they were both still alive. I was really impressed with my fellow wolves, again save Anguriel . I wished I could have put in a better performance for you guys.

It was a positive game in more than one way for me, as it was the first time survived longer than Day 2 as a wolf/hero.

(I will return with more thoughts, but must leave now)

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:46 AM   #550
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
I just wish you hadn't kept shifting your suspect list around, we had been desperate to kill Gurth for ages and it was terribly frustrating when you moved your sights off him.
Well, thats the way it always goes, isn't it? One settles on a likely Wolf and then begins to doubt one's own instincts. Towards the end of the game, I decided that I should make my mind up and risk being horrendously and humiliatingly wrong. Unfortunately, I chose to do so at the point at which I had settled on Firefoot as my most likely Wolf.

I really regretted voting so early that day as I did later decide that Kath was the more likely Wolf (following her analysis of me) - for which Gurth labelled me as flippy-floppy.

Gurth was right, though, when he said that only an innocent would have appealed to the Lovers. I am somewhat annoyed that the point got rather lost in the hurly-burly of my lynching.

Still, we passengers really did ourselves no great favours all round. The lynchings of Nilp, morm and Glirdan were all needless, really.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:00 AM   #551
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I shall never feel right on a ship again. Superb narration Cailin and Nogrod, thank you.

No need for apologies, Saucie, it was obvious why I looked wolvish. You said something in the beginning about me being "noncommital" and I'm screaming YES!! YES! because I HAVE to be! It was hard because anything I would have tried to rebuttal would look wolvish. And it is a dangerous place to be your number one suspect.

Henceforth, I shall automatically suspect anyone who waits till the last possible minute to vote in a tie that is not part of that tie cough*Gurthang*cough! Especially with the seer alive. Ooh, that was so nervewracking!!
But the fatal blow was my misunderstanding of the tied rule. I thought in a tie, the person to recieve the first vote at all was to be lynched not the person to get to the tied number first, so when I saw Mormegil then me get 3 votes I thought I was the goner since I was initially voted for before him. *Doh!!*

But it actually worked out because in RL, the day after I read my death thunderstorms wiped out my phone for 5 days and I'm on stupid dial-up!
Old 07-05-2006, 06:09 AM   #552
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Holby, my heart went out to you. Of course, in this game I was desperate to see the Seer die quickly, but I've just recently been there with the Seer-lynching thing and it is *so* frustrating.
Ang and I wondered, given what happened in the narration, did you dream of one of us the night you died?
Old 07-05-2006, 06:22 AM   #553
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
No, I dreamt of Durelin. Knowing I was a goner I was curious about her.

Last game I played of which I was the seer, I didn't have a chance to test my plan of dreaming of newbies/low talkers. Usually, loud/experienced players get killed/lynched first and the village is left with the unknowns or those who might not post alot so I wanted to work my way backwards. I started with Taliesin, Findeasea and Caranlondien because I haven't had the pleasure of playing or knowing them. It was very cool that even though I had to reveal myself all three of my dreams were still alive.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:39 AM   #554
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Holby, I think we can call you with confidence the Seeress Superior of the Downs...

Ah, so close! For hours yesterday I was tantalised by the delusion that Love could indeed pull through. Still, at least I dragged my hairy pals down with me...

Undoubtedly this is the game I've enjoyed most so far. I think we Lovers can be fairly pleased with ourselves in defeat-a Wolf was never hung but when we had engineered it.

Maddeningly, I think had I named Gurthang but not Kath, pretending she was innocent, we would have been victorious. Wise after the event. Urgh.

I couldn't have had a more sympathetic, effective and, yes, peerless helpmeet...
Old 07-05-2006, 06:42 AM   #555
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Village, I frankly think I did a horrible job as a Hunter. I was nervous and unsubtle, and I didn't even pay attention to my own analysis...would that I had hunted Rune!

Sorry Formy.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:46 AM   #556
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wow. That is it then. (Except for that one tiny narration I still have to post).

Well, I very much enjoyed modding -though I wish I had done it at a more convenient time for me. I was simply too stubborn to put it off. I think we all wrote a lovely story together and I am very happy with how things turned out. You are all such great players. Really, it's true.

Saucepan Man, don't be so modest. I once PMed Nogrod about how shockingly right you were and how you had to die in the most cruel fashion for it. I admit, I favoured the Lovers and Wolves myself -I think all moderators do- but you were excellent, as always.

Holbytlass, you were a great Seer, no matter what you think. Your three known innocents came at a crucial time and I think that above all doomed the wolves. I had no idea why Sauce kept targetting you and wanted to throw big things at him during those first few days.

Gurthang, Kath, you must be frustrated and possibly furious with me for putting you through a game like this. You both did an excellent job and made me a very proud Moddess. Special thanks to Kath for giving that hint of inspiration I needed when I was writing up Sauce's death.

Finally, Anguirel and Lalaith… you more than lived up to my expectations and indeed your love seems meant to be. Contrary to popular opinion, none of the passengers was dream-teamed and Anguirel and Lalaith came out of a randomizer I downloaded to ensure I wouldn't cheat. You were amazing and I wish to thank you for being so amusing and loveable.

And of course, Nogrod. Thanks for being around all the time, for writing up the last-minute deaths of Findeasea, Caranlondien and tgwbs and for all your help during the game. You were the best co-mod a girl could wish for.

Some info for those who care:

JennyHallu hunted Anguirel and Formendacil
Before she died, Holbytlass dreamt of Taliesin, Findeasea, Caranlondien and Durelin.
Taliesin died during the final narration because he failed to show up at all the Day before.
I think I got about 20 different PMs from the wolves and the lovers asking something about the rules or complaining about their peers.

A Lovers game is much more complex than I thought before I started it. Despite all that, I think this game worked out fairly well.

As per Holby's request:

Captain Cailín's Log, the lost final page

~The dead ~
Nogrodsub-mod, ripped into pieces of flesh and bones by the werewolves on Night1
Cailínmod, forced to walk the plank at the end of Night1/ the beginning of Day1
Nilpaurion Felagundranger, lynched himself at the end of Day1
Eomer of the Rohirrim ordinary passenger, replaced the main topmast during Night2
Lhunardawen - ordinary passenger, overcame her seasickness by force at the end of Day2.
JennyHallu - Hunter
Formendacil - ordinary passenger
Mormegil - ordinary passenger, found fault in the ship's structure at the end of Day3
Holbytlass - Seer, killed by the wolves during Night 4
Diamond18 - ordinary passenger, brutally devoured by Screaming Eels
Rune Son of Bjarne - Wolf, pierced by Durelin's dagger at the end of Day 4
Findëasëa - ordinary passenger, ripped in pieces in shower during Night5
Glirdan - ordinary passenger, struck down by liquor at the end of Day 5
Caranlondienordinary passenger, poured and minced into a barrell of rum during Night6
Saucepan Manordinary passenger, attacked and subsequently boiled together with Goosey Gander at the end of Day 6
Friedrich Engels (the guy who be short) - ordinary passenger, drowned while revolving around the ship's keel during Night7
Kath - Wolf, cast overboard at the end of Day 7
Taliesin - ordinary passenger, fed to Kath at the end of Day 7
Lalaith - ordinary lover, beheaded by Gurthang at the end of Day 7
Sir Anguirel Spens - wolf lover, died duelling Gurthang at the end of Day 7
Gurthang - wolf, died duelling Anguirel at the end of Day 7

~The living ~
Durelin -- ordinary passenger
Firefoot -- ordinary passenger
Old 07-05-2006, 06:47 AM   #557
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holby
No need for apologies, Saucie, it was obvious why I looked wolvish. You said something in the beginning about me being "noncommital" and I'm screaming YES!! YES! because I HAVE to be!
I suppose that's why always end up thinking that the Seer is a Wolf. I detect something not quite n-ordo-like) in their posts, but then completely misinterpret it. I must try to be alive to that in the future, although I told myself that when I initiated the lynching of a Seerish Shelob in only my second game ...

Actually, I do recall pondering whether you might be the Seer at some point, Holby, but dismissed on the basis that it would be too coincidental, given that you had already been a Seer twice before (and once when I was a Wolf). Not logical, admittedly, but influential on my thinking nevertheless.

And here am I, never been a Seer (or a Ranger, for that matter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holby
Henceforth, I shall automatically suspect anyone who waits till the last possible minute to vote in a tie that is not part of that tie cough*Gurthang*cough!
There was an element in my thinking that Gurthang's actions were, at times, so obviously Wolvish that he was being set up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
It was a positive game in more than one way for me, as it was the first time survived longer than Day 2 as a wolf/hero.
I thought you played very well. I had you down on my likely innocent list until the day you were lynched - and only began to suspect you because of that first post you made that day, which somehow set of little alarms in my head.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:47 AM   #558
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Tolkien

I was actually very suprised when I learnt that I lived after we had killed you (Jenny), I was sure that it was me who was to be killed. We discussed it over, the others was not quite so sure you would do that and I decidet it was worth taking the risk.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:50 AM   #559
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Great game people!

And especially you lovers! Ang and Lalaith, I would like to call you the moral victors...

The whole wolf-trio worked well - and in the end at least enjoyably to the reader.

And Spm is too modest with himself: your analysis were just superb. Cailín in fact suggested whether you should be blasted out with a mod-fire before you ruin the game before it has even taken off.

Holby's Seer-tactics were admirable. It really seems wise to pick others than loudmouths, for those get killed quite early on anyway more usual than not.

And last but not least: thanks to Cailín for some really fun and original narrations (the last ones were especially great!), and surely of taking me on board and giving me some chances to actually be involved in the game.

It was great fun, once again!

Last edited by Nogrod; 07-05-2006 at 06:56 AM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:54 AM   #560
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín
Saucepan Man – ordinary passenger, attacked and subsequently boiled together with Goosey Gander at the end of Day 6
I should have mentioned it, but my intention was that Goosey Gander would serve as a hearty meal the second night. He was never meant to survive past the role play phase.