The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-26-2006, 12:29 AM   #481
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
++Tar-Mirel.

Like I said in Second Age Survivor, Tar-Mirel is completely useless and accomplished nothing at all. If you removed her from the story, you'd have no real changes. The only reason the Prof. even made her was just to fill up space to give a final push to the ignorant that Ar-Pharazon was evil. Like any good author, Tolkien decided to mention the death of a named character, and nothing more. Seriously, at least Goldberry had powers. Hama was a faithful brave warrior.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:13 AM   #482
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
++ Celebrian

How about a three way tie and just get all the wimpy women off at once?
Well, with the voting as it is right now:

Gloin - 6
T-M - 6
Goldberry - 1
Celebrian - 1

This seems unlikely.

Eh, so, in order to actually matter today it seems one must vote for either Gloin or Tar-Miriel.

- - Goldberry

+ + Tar-Miriel

The more dwarves the merrier.

Plus if Gloin had been married to Ar-Pharazon I'm sure Numenor would never have sunk.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:31 AM   #483
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Just for fun, let's make it a two-for-one.

+ + Gloin

Although really I don't understand why you people want Hama around.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:42 AM   #484
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry
Because he's sympathic.

++Tar-Miriel

Gloin is, after all, one of my favourite dwarves.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:03 AM   #485
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
As I see it, there are still a couple of Dwarves around, more than some other races. Therefore, in the interest of equal rights

++Gloin
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:06 AM   #486
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Vptes so far:

Gloin - 8
Tar-Miriel - 8
Celebrian - 1
Old 08-26-2006, 09:23 AM   #487
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Is there anyone else than me who sees no point in Durin still hanging around here? He's boring, and the thing he's most famous for is not any deed, or wise words, but the fact that he happened to be the first one Aulë created...
Old 08-26-2006, 09:44 AM   #488
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Hama by far the best doorwarden in the Lord of the Rings. As a servant to a King you expect Hama to be a mindless robot, but he's not, he's able to sympathize and he has his own creative mind. He's not the simpleton servant, the one with no brain that simply does his master's will. He is able to think on his own:

'The staff in the hand of a wizard may be more than a prop for age,' said Hama. He looked hard at the ash-staff on which Gandalf leaned. 'Yet in doubt a man of worth will trust to his own wisdom. I believe you are friends and folk worthy of honor, who have no evil purpose. You may go in.'

Hama trusted Gandalf and it's a good thing he did, or Middle-earth would have been completely lost. As there would have been no healing of Theoden, which means Eomer doesn't come out of jail, which means Rohan is obliterated, which means no 'Ride of the Rohirrim' and Gondor is demolished. Hama saved Middle-earth, because he wasn't a mindless robot servant! Talk about an All-star!

Beregond is the same way, but he's only a copy cat, as Hama is the first guard that can actually think for himself.

I mean plus he's got to put up with a cranky old man all the time, that just rips on him even when he does something good:

'Call Hama to me. Since he proved untrusty as a doorward, let him become an errand-runner. The guilty shall bring the guilty to judgement.'

What kind of junk is this? Hama just indirectly saved his life and now he's guilty? Crabby old man, but Hama is a man of honor and is humble.

And finally, who else of all the people have we seen to have the guts to stand up against Aragorn?

'This is the House of Theoden, not of Aragorn, even were he King of Gondor in the seat of Denethor,' said Hama.

Hama puts Aragorn in his rightful place. Who would want to vote off this guy?

++Tar-Miriel, simply because Gloin doesn't deserve to go yet. What's wrong with having all these dwarves? Talk about all-stars, anyone check out Kuru's threads on dwarves?
Old 08-26-2006, 09:45 AM   #489
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White Tree

Thinlo, I can go with Durin's eviction next.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:46 AM   #490
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
++TAR-MIRIEL

I had a word with her, she doesn't mind: she's already won a Survivor and she's got stuff to do back on the mainland.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:10 AM   #491
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Thinlo, I can go with Durin's eviction next.
Thanks. I agree with the ones who say that we have too much dwarves, but Durin is the unbearable one of them! I say, he's the one to go tomorrow.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:13 AM   #492
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
We're having a Dwarf-survivor here now aren't we?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:25 PM   #493
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

We don't want to look racist.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
Old 08-26-2006, 12:34 PM   #494
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1,000 Reader
We don't want to look racist.
Wouldn't the correct term be specieist here?
Old 08-26-2006, 02:19 PM   #495
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

They're a race of people.

-A History of Villains
Old 08-26-2006, 02:30 PM   #496
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Day 19 is now over!

Votes for today:

Gloin - 8
Tar-Miriel - 10
Celebrian - 1

Tar-Miriel will leave the island today! As she walks away, she decides to go in a different direction then the other cast-offed-people went. She ends up walking through a large forest, when suddenly, completely spontaneously and unexpected, a bus, carrying a large amount of small children, hits her.

Thus ends Day 19!

Remaining contestants:

From the Lord of the Rings Survivor
Gimli
Hama

From the Silmarillion Survivor
Elbereth

From the Hobbit Survivor
Smaug
Gloin
Durin

From the Second Age Survivor
Celebrian
Thorondor

From the Minor Works Survivor
Chrysophylax Dives
Goldberry

Sorry for my lateness.

You may now start voting!
Old 08-26-2006, 03:43 PM   #497
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

++Gloin

Seriously, there are too many Dwarves.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:25 PM   #498
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
End the Silmarillion's agony

++Elbereth
Old 08-26-2006, 04:35 PM   #499
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I feel like throwing my gloves off...

10 candidates left.

3 dwarves
2 minor characters

...and most of the intersting ones sent off.

I think the best protest we may give is to halt our participation... Let the few make their anti-climax wiht voting 5-1 the last votes (compare to the 25 - 15 - 10 - 5 votes earlier)

Old 08-26-2006, 04:40 PM   #500
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Yeah it looks like it is going to be silly (not in a good way) final. . .

But I hope to be proved wrong.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #501
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

Menel, I agree with you about too many dwarves. But I think you have the wrong one...it should be Durin to go. I mean think about what a great and fun-filled tribe that would be with Gloin and Smaug as the last two participants. That's bound to be filled with strife, animosity, and bickering...which means more money. I mean one of this is bound to kill the other.

++Durin
Old 08-26-2006, 05:34 PM   #502
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
++Goldberry

Her singing has begun to rack my nerves and it needs to be put to an end.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:23 PM   #503
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

+ + Goldberry

Like I said yesterday, she was kidnapped and forced into servitude and she enjoyed it. We don't need a bad example like that around here.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:31 PM   #504
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1,000 Reader
(P.S. I predict that all the bad guys will be voted off, then any important good guys, and finally we'll have only minor characters, possibly one stronger but still minor character, and an Aniur.)
While a little bit off, I'm pretty much right. Anyway, the psychic says
++Celebrian. We don't really see her do anything except get captured and tortured while wandering the wilderness alone.

-A History of Villains
Old 08-26-2006, 08:13 PM   #505
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil
On the contrary, too many 'survivors' from The Hobbit. I want to even things out a bit.

++ Glôin
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:15 PM   #506
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
There's someone who wants to leave Middle-earth (island) of her own accord, so I think we should let her go:

++Celebrian
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:23 AM   #507
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil
Quote:
lmp
On the contrary, too many 'survivors' from The Hobbit. I want to even things out a bit
They are the same thing! Two of the three Hobbit-survivors are dwarves...

Di and Morm! I'd love to join your Golberry campaign, but let's do it tomorrow. We should get rid of some dwarves first.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:52 AM   #508
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I see a Celebrían campaign at last. Well, maybe tomorrow.

Let's throw a third Dwarf into the mix

++Gimli
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:11 AM   #509
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Do you want to get rid of dwarves?
Do you want to get rid of boring characters?
Do you want to get rid of characters from the Hobbit?

If you answered "yes" to even one of those questions, follow my (and Boro's) example and vote:

++Durin

Last edited by Thinlómien; 08-27-2006 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:21 AM   #510
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Leaf

The last thing we need is someone who arouses and enflames and sparks terrible fan fiction, to say nothing of egregious verb pleonastic triplets.

+ + Celebrian
Old 08-27-2006, 05:15 AM   #511
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Why on earth Elrond ended up marrying someone with the name Kelly-Brian, I shall never know.

Im with Esty and Bb on this one.

+ + CELEBRIAN
Old 08-27-2006, 06:25 AM   #512
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Actually Bb you make a good point. Someone who begs to be badly fanfic'ed is dangerous to keep around.

Also, too many dwarves? Well, one elf is one elf too many.

- - Goldberry (I'll get you yet, my pretty, and your little dog, too!)

+ + Celebrian
Old 08-27-2006, 06:48 AM   #513
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Though I disagree with Di's last statement, I will gladly join the Celebrían waggon as nobody seems to be willing to join my Gimli one. How in heaven did Celebrían get to be the last elf on Survivor All Star?

--Gimli

++Celebrían
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:53 AM   #514
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Has anybody ever noticed how Elrond and Celebrian are never in the same place at the same time?

Poor Elrond! He somehow never noticed that all his children bore a strong resembelance to Haldir.

Celebrian really needs the chance to go and patch things up.

++ Celebrian
Old 08-27-2006, 07:27 AM   #515
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
++Goldberry

This is what, the fourth time I've voted for her?
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:32 AM   #516
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

This is hopeless...

++ Durin

... for principle of ousting even one of the all too numerous dwarves. (Lommy had better arguments to make Durin number one instead of Gloin)
Old 08-27-2006, 11:35 AM   #517
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

I'd rather save the last Elf here and get rid of one of the all-too-many Dwarves, so...

--Gloin

++Durin
Old 08-27-2006, 11:50 AM   #518
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
(Lommy had better arguments to make Durin number one instead of Gloin)
Sorry. I just realised that her arguments were produced in the RL and not here... We'll come back to them if it is needed. Hopefully not. (I would say that some things said of Ingwë do attach to Durin as well - a character who has to be because of the story-history but has no real character of his own etc.)
Old 08-27-2006, 11:51 AM   #519
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
--Elbereth

++Celebrian

i just had to...
Old 08-27-2006, 12:07 PM   #520
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
++Durin

Save the Elf!!