The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2005, 08:41 AM   #441
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
The last communique The Phantom made was addressed to yours truly. It contained a set of instructions of what I was supposed to do (never followed them) and also a comprehensive list of the players with TP's analyse on them (never really read them).

My own letters to the Phantom were far more curt!

EDIT: Here is proof of TP's formidable prowess of analyse. The werewolves were right to eliminate him early:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom
Dear Sheriff Saurreg,

Should I die tonight, these are my final thoughts.

You should try and figure out who the seer is and follow his/her lead without making it too obvious. To recognize the seer, simply remember that the seer would want to leave clues behind pointing out who the dreamed of and what their status was.

Also, consider behavior to pick out wolves.

Here is a breakdown of what happened on day one-

NAME ANGUIREL
WHO THEY ACCUSED No one.
WHO THEY DEFENDED No one.
WHO THEY VOTED FOR No one.
STATUS Who knows? We have no info.

NAME AZALIA
WHO THEY ACCUSED No one.
STATUS Isn’t it funny that she showed up and made two posts but didn’t really say anything? She is definitely not the seer since she left no clue as to what her dream was. I am a bit suspicious of her.

NAME CELUIEN
WHO THEY ACCUSED Oddwen
WHO THEY DEFENDED Feanor, Eomer, the phantom
WHO THEY VOTED FOR Oddwen
STATUS Cel said this about Fea- “Fea doesn't seem as suspicious as I was starting to think earlier. Just, umm, noisy. Not particularly werewolfish.” And later said this- “At this point, the phantom, Fea and Eomer are at the bottom of my suspect list.” If Cel is the seer then Fea is innocent.

NAME DANCING SPAWN
WHO THEY ACCUSED Kath, Lalaith
WHO THEY DEFENDED Lalaith
STATUS Spawn is not the seer because she did not leave a clue as to what her dream was. One person she both attacked and defended and she was wrong about the other person.

NAME EOMER
WHO THEY ACCUSED Anguirel, Nilp, Lalaith, Kath, Fea, LMP
WHO THEY DEFENDED Fea, Nilp
WHO THEY VOTED FOR Kath
STATUS If Eomer is the seer then Anguirel is a werewolf since he dropped his name early and reminded us to keep an eye on him in his next post. However, it doesn’t sound like smart seer behavior to point fingers at so many people since you put yourself at risk of being lynched. But then again, perhaps he was just trying to hide his “Ang is a wolf” dream amidst other accusations. And if Eomer is a wolf, then either Esgal or Oddwen is also a wolf. He popped in at the end to break a five-way tie. Even though his name was one of the names, a wolf would have voted for a sixth person and been willing to get lynched along with five innocents for the good of the team. The only way a wolf would break a five-way tie is if there was another wolf besides himself on the list. The others were Kath (who is innocent of course), Saurreg (we know you’re innocent), Oddwen, and Esgal. So, it stands to reason that if Eomer is a wolf then so is one of those two, probably Esgal since Oddwen was a wolf in the last game.

NAME ESGALLHUGWEN
WHO THEY ACCUSED No one.
STATUS We have no information.

NAME EVISSE
WHO THEY ACCUSED Oddwen, lmp, Lalaith
STATUS Evisse is not the seer since she didn’t separate the people she accused. A true seer would make sure there was a way of discovering who they actually dreamed about from who they just pointed fingers at.

NAME FEANOR
WHO THEY ACCUSED Spawn, Eomer, the phantom, lmp
WHO THEY VOTED FOR Eomer.
STATUS If Fea is the seer then Eomer is a wolf since she pointed at him the most and ultimately voted for him. When the voting was very much undecided she did not tack her vote onto someone who already had votes. Was this because she was the seer and had spotted Eomer, or because she is a wolf wanting to add another innocent to the list? If she is a wolf, then Esgal and Oddwen aren’t since they already had votes when she voted- she would’ve tacked on her vote to an innocent who already had one (like Kath) to try and save her wolf friend. She made an awful lot of noise and risked getting lynched though. That probably isn’t seer behavior.

NAME FIREFOOT
WHO THEY ACCUSED Azalia, Kath, Oddwen, Saurreg
WHO THEY DEFENDED Fea, Cel, Spawn, Evisse, Hookbill, Nilp, Lalaith
WHO THEY VOTED FOR Saurreg
STATUS Firefoot could be the seer. Declaring as many people as she did to be not suspicious might be something she’s doing to preserve her life. And she said this of Fea “Phantom has called Fea's statements absurd (and I rather agree with that), but wouldn't they also be absurd things for a werewolf to say? What kind of idiot werewolf would say something so very incriminating? Especially this early when we have naught but virtually blind accusations to go by?” and she later said this- “And anyway, I don't really think Fea is a werewolf.” If Firefoot is the seer then Fea is innocent. If Firefoot is a wolf then Oddwen, Esgal, and Eomer probably aren't, since she didn't try to save them with her vote.

NAME HOOKBILL
WHO THEY ACCUSED No one.
STATUS HB posted three times but didn’t really say anything. That makes me a bit suspicious, and certain that HB is not the seer.

NAME LALAITH
WHO THEY ACCUSED No one.
WHO THEY VOTED FOR Kath
STATUS I find it odd that Lal didn’t really point fingers but went ahead and voted. She’s not the seer, that’s for sure.

NAME LITTLEMANPOET
WHO THEY ACCUSED Eomer
WHO THEY DEFENDED Lalaith
STATUS I suppose lmp could be the seer, and if he is then Eomer is a werewolf, since Eomer is the only one that he really truly latched onto.

NAME NILP
WHO THEY ACCUSED No one.
STATUS He posted twice but did not point fingers or defend. Who knows if he’s a wolf (he’s not the seer).

NAME ODDWEN
WHO THEY ACCUSED No one.
STATUS Oddwen only made one post and didn’t say much. She’s not the seer. She could be a wolf, but she was in the last game so I wouldn’t bet on it.

So, Celuien could be the seer declaring Fea innocent, Firefoot could be the seer declaring Fea innocent, Eomer could be the seer declaring Ang guilty, or lmp could be the seer declaring Eomer guilty.

There’s a very slight chance that Fea is the seer declaring Eomer guilty, or that Anguirel or Esgallhugwen is the seer and just couldn’t show up yesterday.

I am sure that the werewolves are narrowing their sights on the seer. Let’s hope that the seer isn’t killed before he/she spots someone.

I wish you the best of luck.

-the phantom

Last edited by Saurreg; 06-30-2005 at 08:44 AM.
Saurreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:41 AM   #442
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
TGWBS, when tp died, there was an envelope that someone picked up. I'm assuming Saurreg got it, as the other Sherriff, but what exactly was it? Just a random addition to the story?
Nope, it was a letter than tp wrote before his death. The Shirriffs send me (updated) letters whenever they want. If one of them dies, the latest letter goes to the other Shirriff.

Edit: Cross post.

I'm glad to see so many people enjoyed my deaths. My favourite was also Eomer's. The Elmo/Ulmo pun was too good to resist... though I was quite loathe to let such a handsome man die.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:52 AM   #443
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally posted by Eomer:
And Nilpaurion....*sniff*.....good luck with your quest, my friend!
Quote:
Originally posted by Nilpaurion:
Second, cousin Eomer ( ), I shall avenge your death, or else my sister will kill me. But wait, she can't do that--see my sig.
Another thing unresolved: what on earth were Nilp and Eomer talking about?
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:52 AM   #444
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
The Elmo/Ulmo pun was too good to resist...
You bet it is. You would enjoy the chat room... Ulmo is a mod... I've nearly been kicked out a few times for my "accidental" misspellings of his name. Now where is that evil smiley?
Old 06-30-2005, 09:15 AM   #445
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
just a wee bit of sour grapes plus other stuff

Well, yeah. I was a bit ticked about Esgal. Talk about rotten luck! I may be at fault in the way Hookbill played. Before the game started, I figured I wasn't going to be a werewolf but considered what my strategy would be if I ever was: to convince myself for DAY segments that I was NOT a werewolf, and post thusly. I challenged Esgal and Hookbill to try it out, and my guess is that they did their best. Problem was, it was a strategy that was right for me but probably not for them. I'd say it worked for me fairly well early. The closer to the end of the game, the harder it was to pull off. Frankly, when Esgal went down and Hookbill had already been virtually promised a lynching on the following day, that's when I started feeling desperate. From there on my game plan was to not show it.

I am RELIEVED it's over. If I am ever a werewolf again, it will be too soon. I didn't actually want to be one the first time, and tgwbs will confirm that my response was "YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!"

I did make some rookie mistakes early. Such as beating on Eomer on Day One. Such as picking Azaelia for no good reason other than whim. And I made a strategic mistake (can't say rookie anymore) on the final day, which was to pounce on Lalaith. Same thing I did with Eomer. If I had voted for Evisse, there still would have been enough votes available to double-lynch me as well, though, though Firefoot would have probably joined us against Evisse, so it would have been 4 to 3; but I would probably have gone down the following day anyway.

I considered the odds of taking out a known innocent versus risking the hunter in order to try to get the cursed villager. The way I saw it, getting the cursed villager was on a relatively consistent risk ratio of 8:1. The Hunter would have had to choose me on the night that I chose the hunter, so the risk ratio was a lot higher, but shrinking the further into the game we went.

Notice, folks, that the phantom's plan was inadvertently used, and worked. Innocents were lynched early and the Seer remained unlynched long enough to do the damage needed for the village to win. If, however, Esgal had stayed in the game longer, Ang had revealed himself too boldly, too soon.

Most of the strategic things I posted were things I truly believed to be the case, which was all part of trying to not only appear, but think, innocent.

More on strategy when I get to my home computer where I can quote at length from PMs.

Oh, one final thing. Nobody noticed how Hookbill and I made seriously bad werewolf mistakes in the first day, posting during NIGHT hours. But nobody picked up on it, much to my relief.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:19 AM   #446
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh! And TGWBS, you never used my double butcher knife and pun at the end! Probably my fault too, because I failed to remind him of it. I had wanted to have him put in my mouth the following: "I do not go to my lynching willingly. As you see, I have brought my two best butcher knives! I shall go down in a haze of gory! Yaaaaa!"

Oh well.

If there's a butcher next game, feel free to use it.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:35 AM   #447
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
As a consolation for being edited out of the game TGWBS was gracious enough to give me the inside scoop. It was fascinating to watch. There were so many times around mid-game that I just wanted to scream and yell and say PLEASE LISTEN TO FEANOR!!! That, of course, is when she was going strong against LMP. And I nearly freaked out when people were starting to suspect Anguriel. It's very fun to sit like a fly on the wall, watching and knowing all. Good game all.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:36 AM   #448
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
You played very well, LMP. At many times, you had me doubting myself. The only reason I didn't drop you is because I'd gotten the idea early and wanted to see it through. Only it never saw through! I figured I'd mention it, it'd get shot down, and I'd move on, highlighting players only long enough to be certain of their innocence (which, of course, accounts for "Fickle Fea"). Only it didn't work with you, because you never died, and you were so careful to stay calm and collected in the face of me shouting of your guilt which was apparent to no-one (to be honest, I was never positive... I was just stubborn). I couldn't for the life of me understand why nobody could see what I saw. Which is why it was so doggone convenient that I always had my back up plan of "if all else fails, I'm going to accidentally "reveal" that I'm a wolf, have them lynch me, and take him out with me, just to make sure." Which, of course, was why I was willing to vote ++FEANOR OF THE PEREDHIL if Evisse was innocent.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:57 AM   #449
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
This was the first game I played and I learnt one very useful lesson. Never, ever be the very first person in the game to cast a vote. That earned me a whole bunch of suspicion that I never shook off.
Of course, a lot of people didn't want to vote on the first day for that very reason. I went out for the day after voting for Kath, and I just couldn't believe it when I got back and saw she'd been killed with just two votes out of a total of six.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:03 AM   #450
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Whoops

Sorry, LMP! I forgot about that.

Though your death kicked donkey anyway. Well, I think so anyway.

Another think that made me giggle was when somebody, I can't remember who, said that they were pretty sure that Eswen and LMP were innocent fairly early on.

I'd have to say the fall of Eswen was extremely unfortunate for the wolves' side. And the numbers and Shirriffs probably helped as the villies win too.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:11 AM   #451
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Though your death kicked donkey anyway. Well, I think so anyway
ALL your deaths kicked donkey, tgwbs.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:54 AM   #452
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

As usual I will be writing up a post game summary and posting it on my web page. I will include excerpts from my letters to Saurreg as well as my thoughts on the days after I was dead.

It will probably be up sometime tonight (ten hours from now or so).

And I loved my death, tgwbs!
Old 06-30-2005, 11:07 AM   #453
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Can't wait to see it, phantom. You know how I squirm to see such things in a timely and amusing fashion.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:38 AM   #454
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
I just wanted to congratulate you all on a game well played! I've been following it very closely, spending my lunch hours and a lot of my free time reading this thread. I'm so impressed that I think I may have to join the next game just to see what it's like for myself. Oh, and tgwbs, I loved all your deaths, especially the tree frog ones.

Last edited by Orominuialwen; 06-30-2005 at 11:39 AM. Reason: I didn't quite make sense the first time around.
Orominuialwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:46 AM   #455
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Fascinating stuff. Many thanks to everyone involved for making it so enjoyable, and hearty congratulations to the victorious villagers.

littlemanpoet eh? In all honesty I was just being defensive on DAY 1. I didn't really suspect him. Likewise with Hookbill; it was more to do with unfair bullying than real suspicion. Curse those werewolves. They really picked on me.

I should probably clarify this line:

"And Nilp *sniff* good luck with your quest, my friend!"

This was purely and simply a different way of saying "Nilp, you are being absolutely bloody hilarious and I want you to stay alive as long as possible so I can keep laughing."

And as for the phantom and Saurreg.......oops! That is a truly awesome signature you have there Saurreg. I guess that whole attack was the reason the Wolves really got started on the lynch-Eomer task. But I'd do it all again!

Especial praise goes to the guy who be short, who did a tremendous job moderating.

Well done everyone. A toast! to Werewolf 4.

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 06-30-2005 at 11:48 AM. Reason: respect to the dead
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:04 PM   #456
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up Thumbs up to ye all

Well, Eomer, you were just to smart to be left to you're own devises and to roam about like some kind of... Sherlock Holms... or something. :P

Quote:
Especial praise goes to the guy who be short, who did a tremendous job moderating.
Here here! *rises a glass*
Old 06-30-2005, 01:45 PM   #457
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Werewolf PM's from Night One

Here for your enthusiastic entertainment consumption is the log of the werewolves' exhaustive correspondence on Night # One.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
Any ideas so far? I have a couple ideas, thoughts, rambling notions, etc.. Not saying I think they all merit using......

1. In some folklore, werewolves don't know they're werewolves except when they are. As Saucepan Man pointed out recently, the werewolves' best strategy is to not appear to be working together against the innocents during the day. I've thought of a way to do that, but I'm not sure we can pull it off. It's to virtually convince ourselves, during Day phase, that we are Innocents. This means to believe it and act like it, talk like it, get offended like it, and so forth. What do you think?

2. Reverse psychology. Say "I'm a werewolf! Just kidding." This is extremely risky, as some innocents might see through it.

3. Reverse reverse psychology. Be among the first to accuse. This also is risky.

4. I personally am likely to be a loudmouth. What about you guys?

5. Put forward Fordim's strategy, thus appearing innocent. But only one werewolf can use this, and it also is risky, unless perhaps the three werewolves are the ones who first present and support it, and so forth. Not really convinced this is at all a good idea. If you don't know what I'm talking about, take a look at Game III and look at Fordim's first couple posts.

Okay, I'll shut up now and wait to hear from you guys.
LMP drums fingers on table, waiting for eleven hours before first response....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esgal
I will mostly go for number one, that is highly sensible, and seems to be the lesser risk. Also it adds a certain pychosis that I think the Werewolves should have.

Instead of randomly picking a kill, I think we should try to find the Seer first and formost, they seem to be the biggest threat. This is highly difficult so lets keep our eyes peeled and discuss our suspicions, but not only about the Seer, the Ranger and Gaurdian as well.

If we notice that two others seem to be working together (who aren't any of us) I think we should either or both:

a) leave them alone (during the night), so that the other Villagers may think that their both Werewolves, doing so will have them killed instead of us which gives us a lead in killing the Villagers during the night.

b) play LMP's number one and add suspicion towards them that will aid in them getting lynched.

I'm not much of a loud mouth but I'll readily save my own skin, I'm playing the innocent and I don't see the problem with all of us playing this part as long as we don't over do it and don't seem too buddy buddy with each other, I'm not saying post blame upon another, but gently and inconspicuously guide the villagers in the other direction.

What think you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
Greetings all,

I like you're ideas, Esgal. I'm going to see what way the discussions go before I formulate a solid strategy. The seer will be difficult to find until after the third night, methinks. The one who seems the most convincing in the dreams or seeing will not be apparent until then.

What do you guys think about the avenging of deaths?
So yes, phantom, two of the werewolves were actually PMing during Daytime that first day, which was quickly brought to a halt by our wise and gifted moderator.

But two ideas, one from Esgal, and one from Hookbill, were not followed upon; number one, to let the Shirriffs look like guilty werewolves, and to at least talk about kills for revenge. Not following up Esgal's idea is particularly my fault, as will be seen in viewing Night Two pms.

More on subsequent nights to follow.....
Old 06-30-2005, 02:17 PM   #458
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Congratulations, everyone. May Feanor, Saurreg, Firefoot and Celuien enjoy feasting and toasting, ahem, the victorious dead...

It was a great and epic kill, Feanor. Well written, tgwbs.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:54 PM   #459
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Great game, everyone! How about some applause for TGWBS?

LMP - I never would have suspected you.

My apologies for being a bit erratic for the past couple of days, especially on this last one. I had an 11 hour shift yesterday and was in the midst of writing a presentation (which I just gave about an hour ago) on very short notice, so I was a little out of sorts.

I notice that I was suspected of being the seer a couple of times. That was halfway my intention with some of the wording I placed around the villagers about whom I had the most certainty, since I was trying to keep the wolves from identifying the real seer before enough nights had passed to gain information. At the same time, I didn't want to actually impersonate the seer and end up confusing the village, causing a rush to execute one of my suspects, or becoming werewolf bait.

Victory for the villagers is sweet at last.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:02 PM   #460
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
*applause for TGWBS*
Fantastic deaths - both werewolf and lynching.

To everyone else thanks for an incredibly amusing game. I followed it even after my sudden and (at least to me!) surprising death and Fea I have to say I'm surprised you weren't lynched simply for insulting everyone in the game!

But congratulations - the villagers won!
Old 06-30-2005, 04:25 PM   #461
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I almost put in a special request to TGWBS for Anguirel's death. Turns out I didn't have to. TGWBS did exactly what I had imagined wanting <ahem> to do; except for the "off with his head" part. Actually, the other thing I had imagined was hanging, drawing, and quartering, but that would have pointed right to the butcher, which was not such a good idea, eh? So the blood spattered walls and body parts all over the place was everything I could have hoped for.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:42 PM   #462
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Werewolf PM's from Night Two

NIGHT # 2

Quote:
The phantom voted for Esgallhugwen. I am suspicious of him being the seer. But I do not think he should die just yet. Lets see him out, if he starts voting continuously for us, then we should say bye-bye to him.

As for who dies now, I'm not sure. Any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
the phantom made a random choice between Eswen and Anguirel because of lack of posting, which our mod cleared up, so the best strategy would be for Es to forgive him, or at least seem to, on erroneous information.

Hookbill, the way I see it, you almost got voted for yourself. I think it was Evisse who randomly picked a not completely quiet one, and thus it was Kath, but your name was the next one on her list as I recall. That said, I think you're doing an outstanding job of staying under the radar.

the phantom is drawing a lot of attention to himself. I wouldn't want to off him on merely "annoying" grounds, much as it might be fun to. If he's the Seer, isn't the Seer much more valuable toward the end of the game than at the beginning? There would be fewer players to choose to have a vision about, and the chance of dreaming about a werewolf increases as the game continues.... right?

Feanor and Eomer are also loudmouths, and I don't want to kill either of them off yet. Heck, Fea voted for Eomer. Let her continue to be suspicious of him.

As long as they don't know who we are and we stay alive, the advantage is ours. The thing to do is to "off" a strategic choice. Give me some time to think about this. I'm thinking that we want to off one of the less talkative ones, someone who has barely posted and not even drawn suspicion. By the way, Nilpaurion should be let be too, being a suspicious character.

So I'm thinking about the following (off the top of my head): Evisse, Celuien, Oddwen (although she did receive a vote), ... who else? I can't open up a second window on this stupid computer (at work). I'll get back to you....
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
Hookbill, I guess it's up to you and me tonight.

Okay, the candidates for "offing", as far as I'm concerned, are:

Azaelia of Willowbottom
Celuien
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Firefoot
Lalaith
Oddwen
Saurreg

I'd like to keep Celuien, Oddwen, Saurreg, and dancing spawn around a little while longer, out of sheer interest to see how they play the game. That leaves:

Azaelia of Willowbottom
Firefoot
Lalaith

Firefoot got offed pretty early last time, so I'd like to giver her a chance to play some more. I'm interested in Lalaith more or less too, so my vote goes for ++Azaelia of Willowbottom. Not very scientific, except that it generally avoids suspicion. Who knows? Maybe she's the cursed or the hunter or the seer. What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esgal
It's not too late for me to have my say is it? I got off of work early. We were lucky that they killed off the Ranger, that ups our odds of not getting killed ourselves.

I was merely joking about offing the phantom, I know better than that, he was the only one that voted for me to off him would drive uneeded suspicion at break neck speed towards me. And we don't need that.

I was thinking about Azaelia as well. She hasn't said much, and we should keep the loudmouths around to argue with eachother, who knows they may sack a couple more of there own before they get to us.

Phantom might very well be the Seer, and if he knows, he might keep on pushing it with me ( but I really hope he's just an arrogant loudmouth who took a wild guess, why would he have chosen me to dream about?), the more he pushes with his accusations towards me the harder it will be to kill him, because doing so will be a powder keg of suspicion.

But let's leave him be, he's an eccentric chronic liar who's so egotistical that he's openly admitted that he's trying to trick us, and we do not yet know the truth between the lines.

My vote is for poor little ++Azaelia of Willowbottom as well. And I will try harder to post for the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
Well, that's two for Azaelia. Hookbill?

Let's see what the phantom does with the next day. His vote for you, Eswen, appears to have been a 50/50 raondom shot at those who didn't post, and he was uninformed. My bet is he casts his glance elsewhere - - - unless he's the Seer.

If things go ill for us (one of us gets lynched), there are two strategies worth considering:

1) one of us accuse the other, thus "taking one for the team" while rendering the other with great credentials for innocence.

2) talk up the need to let the Seer live as long as possible because the longer the Seer is in the game, the better the Seer's chance to "off" the werewolves. This has the drawback of being true; it has the benefit of making whoever uses this piece of strategy look quite innocent.

Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
This message is going to Eswen and Hookbill as well as our mod:

TGWBS, unless you hear differently by 11:30 p.m., our kill for tonight is ++ Azaelia of Willowbottom.

I haven't gotten a rubber stamp from Hookbill on this, but Eswen has agreed with me on it, so at worst it's a 2 out of 3.

Sorry I couldn't wait, Hookie, but bedtime arrives early for me; I'm up at 5 in the a.m.
Quote:
Hello,

Sorry I couldn't join the discussion. The time difference is annoying, plus I had to sleep early last night. We had a few power cuts yesterday also, which was annoying. I'm agreeing with you both on Azaelia.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 06-30-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:00 PM   #463
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

It seems I escaped a mauling pretty narrowly there. I'm glad you decided to let me stick around.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:49 PM   #464
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I'm done with my post game write up. As usual, it is on my Random Thoughts page.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:45 PM   #465
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Wow!

We win! We win! Take that, hairy beasts of the night!

Quote:
Nilp- Absolutely fascinating! "I'm a wolf, lynch me." (Fea)
Thank you. Sorry about almost voting for you. Until an hour ago I was pretty sure you were the last werewolf, and doing an excellent job of avoiding suspicion. Boy, was I wrong.

Way cool archery, I might add.

lmp, an excellent game you played! And:
Quote:
By the way, Nilpaurion should be let be too, being a suspicious character. (lmp)
Why, thank you! You got me spot on when you said:

Quote:
Nilp . . . is simply playing his "suspicious character" role to the hilt. (lmp)
I think I'll use this as a sig for the next game.

So, a heartfelt round of applause to everyone in this game, especially to our mod, the guy: vy ze vay, I loved my death. Excellent use of my alter-ego.

Remember your promise. I'm joining the next game.

Right, Adam.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:52 AM   #466
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Btw, were-boys, put me out of my misery. Why *did* neither of you step in to save Esgal from lynching on the first day? Did you really miss the vote as you both said or was it strategy?
Old 07-01-2005, 03:58 AM   #467
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I really missed the vote. That post was literally 100% the truth. I was extremely, extremely frustrated about the time zone situation. There way no way I was going to quick vote in the 6 minutes I had before work, and the morning ran long, and by the time I got to lunch, it was too late.

I have no idea who I would have voted for. Probably Kath, if I had been there early enough to vote (right under the wire).
Old 07-01-2005, 04:42 AM   #468
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Thanks for that. I'd been worrying at that particular problem like a dog with a bone.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:29 AM   #469
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

At long last! The villagers have won! Congratulations!

Your play was excellent, lmp. After hearing the finale spoiler from my brother, I read this:
Quote:
Lalaith, your latest pleas have convinced me of your innocence. I'm sorry I voted for you. Maybe it would be best to lynch three of us after all, so that we do have known innocents outnumbering the remaining werewolf. So if lynching me helps the village, go for it.
and I just tumbled over in laughter. You would make a good drama king.

And a very great job moderating, tgwbs. That was some way to get rid of my annoyingly suspicious brother.

Awesome game, everyone!
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:31 AM   #470
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Thank you. Sorry about almost voting for you. Until an hour ago I was pretty sure you were the last werewolf, and doing an excellent job of avoiding suspicion. Boy, was I wrong.
No worries... Until not long ago, I think a lot of people were convinced I was the last werewolf. Heck, occasionally I convinced myself that I was. Gotta think like a wolf to catch one, and all that. About that avoiding suspicion... I really have no clue how I managed that one, since I pointed out everyone (unless they died too early for it).

Quote:
Fea I have to say I'm surprised you weren't lynched simply for insulting everyone in the game!
I didn't get everyone, did I? Well... maybe... LMP is too polite, it makes me want to kill him in his sleep; the phantom is condescending and infuriating; Evisse is either a wolf or blind; Yeah... maybe I did. Sorry about that.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:56 AM   #471
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Feanor, there's no way I would have killed you. You drew suspicion away from me. The only time you caused me concern was when your bouncing bow pointed briefly at me, at which point all I had to do was say what you wanted, and you bounced away again. I think that over all you caused confusion to the other villagers, which helped me. I think that a hunter makes a mistake by being a loudmouth and/or drawing attention to self, because that attention is bound to be suspicion, which means the werewolves will let the hunter live, thus eluding (if not eliminating) the risk of being killed during the kill.

Let's say I had voted for Evisse instead of Lalaith (thinking out loud). The votes would have been Feanor, Celuein, LMP, and probably Firefoot (who thought I was innocent), enough to lynch her. So Evisse is lynched, and everybody learns that she is an ungifted villager.

My choices for kill, having barely escaped lynching myself, most likely, are either a known innocent because it's wise to get rid of someone against whom there is no suspicion, as well as safe to get rid of someone you're sure is not the hunter. That means Saurreg, or maybe Celuien. On the other hand, there was still the (desperate) hope of getting the cursed villager. So we scratch Feanor because she's too suspicious, and we scratch Firefoot because she's unlikely to vote for my lynching. That leaves Lalaith, about whom some people are still suspicious, especially if I don't screw up and blow my wad at her. So I would have to take out Saurreg as the safest and wisest choice.

That leaves: Feanor, Celuein, Firefoot, Lalaith, and LMP. Care to hypothesize what would have happened then?
Old 07-01-2005, 09:10 AM   #472
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Well, I don't think my vote would have been cast for Evisse, as she had me quite convinced toward the end of the day that she was innocent. (I don't know that I ever thought she was guilty, except I didn't think anyone else seemed guilty either. ) I don't know if that would have changed the result or not.

Anyway, in this potential situation, I would hazard a guess that Lalaith would be the next to go. I would not have voted for Celuien (proven innocent), Feanor (I was figuring she was gifted by then), or LMP (who I figured was innocent). So let's say Lalaith dies. That night, LMP kills someone else - a choice of Fea, myself, or Celuien. I will guess that Celuien, as a proven innocent, probably goes. I would vote for LMP over Fea, and I don't see any reason why Fea wouldn't vote for LMP.

So there's my hypothesis; it would end in a villager victory anyway though it would seem that only Fea and myself are left to populate the village - not much of a village, anymore.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:27 AM   #473
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

After I woke up and saw that I'd got two votes, my first instinct, as a werewolf newbie, was obviously to argue/vote to save myself. But then I started pondering exactly the above scenarios and their possible outcome, and then I realised that the most important thing was that the werewolf only made one more kill at the very most.
I'd assumed that as Saurreg took me as an innocent everyone else would too, but I realised that if I wasn't trusted, I was completely expendable. The more unknown quantities we lynched that day the better.
Btw lmp, I also guessed you were the werewolf because you were the only one who replied to my little remark about 'could the werewolf not have left the Seer alive as a tactic.'
I put that remark in on purpose, because I figured the poor wolf would be lonely not having anyone to PM with, and wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to talk about tactics...
Old 07-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #474
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well TGWBS and I spoke on this situation near the end and how you could possibly win. It was difficult because Feanor was choosing you to kill if she were to die. So if she had changed her mind then you could of had a chance, if she didn't your best outcome was a draw. I felt you were on the right track LMP by attempting to cast suspicion on Lailath while others were working Evisse over for you. If only one had been lynched that day, you could have killed Saurreg like you said get the other (Evisse or Lalaith) lynched the next day and kill of Celuein at night. But then there's the uphill battle of casting suspicion on Firefoot during the day, or casting some suspicion on Firefoot and enought on Feanor so that you lynch Feanor and she decides to kill Firefoot when she dies.

All in all it was a long shot at best and with so many known innocents I thought it near impossible for you to win at that stage but we still had hoped that maybe you would pull it off. Actually TGWBS wanted a draw so at the end he could put.

Moderator Wins!
Old 07-01-2005, 10:14 AM   #475
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Feanor, So I would have to take out Saurreg as the safest and wisest choice.
Then I'm very glad that I voted for you and that Lalaith supported me. Had I taken heed of Feanor's words, victory would not have been this sweet.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:28 AM   #476
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

I was very glad when I saw you'd decided to vote later, Saurreg. Very wise decision.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:40 AM   #477
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thank you my dear. Very gracious of you.

Now what if I didn't vote? I think the following is most likely;

1. LMP would have me killed in the night as he had stated.

2. Feanor would be the main suspect the next day due to a quasi-vow, most probably would be lynched.

3. She takes along LMP during the execution.

So it would still be a villagers' victory except neither I nor Feanor would still be alive.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:41 AM   #478
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I was already convinced that the game was out of my reach the Day before I took out Anguirel: too many known innocents.

I think you guys'll get a kick out of our Third and Fourth Night PMs. I'll post them up when I get home.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:54 AM   #479
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

These signatures are just brilliant. What a lovely close-knit community we made!
Old 07-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #480
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Have a care, LMP; now I know it was you wot did me in, you're for it next time I'm a wolf or Hunter!

Oops, that was revealing.