The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2006, 01:18 AM   #401
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I must apologise for my complete silence yesterday. Unavoidable things occurred. If only I could have been there to join in the wolf catching glory...

I hope to redeem myself with plenty of analysis today.

My first point today is that we should remember that we are not told the Cursed Villager's role when they die. Mith in particular seems to assume they're definitely still among us; but though the chance should not be underestimated, only four villagers still live and six are dead, so there's a 60% chance now that the Cursed One is slain already. So its conversion is an eventuality to be wary of, but not to actually quail in fear of.

EDIT: I corrected this percentage. I am chronic at Maths...

Last edited by Anguirel; 01-30-2006 at 09:01 AM.
Anguirel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:00 AM   #402
Gandalf_the _white
Wight

Location: In crazy captions waving an angry fist at the outside world
Gandalf_the _white has just left Hobbiton.
Yeah but Glirdan posted this at the end of the death:
Hurry up and find that last Wolf, before he get the evil ne who doesn't know
If you ask me it sounds like the cursed one is still alive and so no-one can be dismissed as "innocent" (but I could be wrong )
and he mentioned the wolf was a he this could be a clue or i'm just reading too much into the deaths
Gandalf_the _white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:04 AM   #403
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hi survivors ..thanks Ang - I didn't realise that we wouldn't be told if someone was cursed when lynched....

This will be quick and I will be back later ... but Kath has my suspicions firmly on her again. But I have only had a sneak look so far ..(slow connection).

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:18 AM   #404
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
++Kath

I gave her plan a chance and now I realise she sucessfully turned my vote away from a wolf. Then she started to cast suspicion at me without true foundation.

the reason I am alive is becasue I have been so bad a spotting wolves ... but I think I have one now. It is far more suspicious that Kath is still alive ..she is far more experienced and sucessful than I.

I have suspected her on and off since day 2. Now I am certain. Don't let her frame me.

I will give a more detailed defence and attack after work.

Old 01-30-2006, 08:17 AM   #405
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

While that's pretty impetuous, Mith, I don't mind. Someone has to get things going and I don't like doing it all the time. It's a slightly risky position.

I have a vague idea which people might like to co-operate with. We try to catch the last wolf via an imaginative exercise.

As our copybook-blotted but insightful Hunter Fea said, "Don't think-how would wolves behave? Think-how would X behave if s/he were a wolf?"

Luckily for us, two monsters lie dead, and with the last one the picture of the triumvirate will be complete. This makes things a lot easier. Rather than just asking "how would X behave if s/he were a wolf?" we can now ask "how would X behave if s/he was in a wolvish triad with Valier & Thinlomien and found him/herself the last one standing?"

I therefore formally set the questions:

1. How would Anguirel behave if he was in a wolvish triad with Valier & Thinlomien and found himself the last one standing?

2. How would Kath behave if she was in a wolvish triad with Valier & Thinlomien and found herself the last one standing?

3. How would Mithalwen behave if she was in a wolvish triad with Valier & Thinlomien and found herself the last one standing?

4. How would Gandalf behave if he was in a wolvish triad with Valier & Thinlomien and found himself the last one standing?

5.How would Valesse behave if she was in a wolvish triad with Valier & Thinlomien and found herself the last one standing?

We should each attempt to answer all of the questions, even regarding ourselves, about whom we can perhaps be most honest. Think of the role person concerned would take in the triad-leader, talker, planner, lurker, role-player, confuser? And think of their reaction to being cornered and desperate, alone. We will then match this with actual behaviour and see if we've achieved anything.

The wolf may be dishonest-they have every right to be-but that in itself may lead us to them. I will myself attempt answers soon.

Oh and Gandalf, as I said before there should be no clues in the moderator's narration. There's no way that one chance "he" excludes everyone but you and me from wolvishness. Nor is the Cursed Villager necessarily around. Glirdan could easily be tantalising us.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:33 AM   #406
Gandalf_the _white
Wight

ok i was reading too much into the deaths then
and in response to your questions i think if i was the last wolf i would be panicking now this being my first game and being all alone
Old 01-30-2006, 09:15 AM   #407
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
Are we to post our beliefs publicly, Sir Ang?

This is both Gandalf and my first WW-- (and I am, myself, suprised how alive I am so late in the game), so our observations might not count for much, but it will help the community I'll post it publicly anyways.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:26 AM   #408
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I think that would be helpful, Valesse, yes. I'll write my own answers when I've down some crucial work on, ah, First Age History...
Old 01-30-2006, 10:02 AM   #409
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm sure to be wrong in several places, as most of this is from what I've seen and felt suspicious of so far... well not all of it. Its mostly conjecture, really. But it makes sense. My only worry now is that the wolf has something to go by so that they know what -not- to do or say.

Anguirel:
The brave resident knight of Mejis (with an extensive family history pretaining to wolvery) might perhaps make a point to prove (or over-prove) his goodly-ness to the village. His posts may become longer and not as direct.

Kath:
Our humble tortoise herder, tricky as she might seem, maybe discret and mindful of every tittle and comma she types. This might make her posts seem overthought and of odd lengths. Justifications elaborate and very discriptive commentary to quotes (pulled from everywhere) could follow.

Mithalwen:
The wise walthy widow appears to already have taken a strong stand. She is known to be tricksy and a very cunning player which ever side she may reside on. I won't pretend to know what to expect from her other than something sneaky, sly, or silly.

Gandalf:
As the young village wizard he is new to the entire wolvish experiance, and if secretly he is the last remaining wolf, we might soon be made aware of it through nervous and/or erratic behavior. -- I'll be wary of Gandalf if much posting goes on today by his behalf.

Valesse:
The airy acrobat tries to keep herself objective until the end of the day, but that wouldn't be the case if she had fangs. As a lycan look for easily aggitated/agressive accusations, and a complete lack of sense of humor and desire to role play.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:23 AM   #410
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Mith, I can understand if you've made your mind up, but may I just make one point in my defense? Why, if I were a wolf would I make the first vote for Valier, knowing there was a chance that the rest of the village might follow me as they had been doing up to that point? Just to make myself look innocent? It's a bit risky.

I actually came to thank you for putting me on to Valier in the first place, and to apologise for causing you to change your vote. I believe you be completely innocent right now if that's any consolation.

Now, though this has already been discussed, I do feel that Glirdan perhaps unwittingly gave us some clues in the death scene.

Quote:
Hurry up and find that last Wolf, before he get the evil ne who doesn't know.
Assuming that Glirdan is sure of all our genders (and that this is actually a clue) I believe that leaves us with Anguirel and Gandalf to suspect. I feel that Gandalf was pretty much cleared yesterday, so my suspicion lies with Ang. Also, it seems to say that the Cursed is indeed among us.

Anguirel I'm not sure that I like your idea, for the same reason as Valesse. Doing this means the remaining wolf could look at what people think they would do and just make sure they don't do it. It's almost giving the wolf a plan for how to behave.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:37 AM   #411
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I must say, Kath, that your subscribing to the absurd notion that Glirdan could be so irresponsible as to accidentally narrow down the options for the last wolf to two is unlike one of your intelligence...

I'm sure Glirdan will be happy to clarify that the last wolf is not necessarily a man. You may consider it endemic sexism, but "he" is in society-especially in Middle-Earth society of the Third Age, and even in the Seventh Age-used as shorthand for "they", "it", even, very possibly, in this case "she". It's a case of linguistic patriarchalism, and your attempt to exploit it to clear yourself and pin the blame on others looks very much like desperation.

Especially as the wolf needs to get two innocents lynched to win. Why, there happen to be two males.

I will reserve judgement until I've answered my own questions and seen the answers of a few others, but to me-much to my regret-Kath is looking dangerous, despite her Valier vote. Throwaway wolf-for-wolf votes have become lynches before, and will do so, I've no doubt, again.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:43 AM   #412
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Assuming that Glirdan is sure of all our genders (and that this is actually a clue) I believe that leaves us with Anguirel and Gandalf to suspect... Also, it seems to say that the Cursed is indeed among us.
Glirdan might have said "he" just to be grammatically correct. Common tongue is a largely masculine language and "she" would have stood out even more in my opinion... I just hope my opinion doesn't start to get old, because we've definitely heard a fair amount of it!

Edit: Ang seems to have beaten me to the grammatical punch. So I'll be adding some insight to make this post less redundent.

We each have some behaviors which could be described as incriminating, though only one remaining knows for a fact that they are the weak seam in a tumbler's panteloons. So theres where we stand.

As was the knight's suggestion I listed my theories of what people MIGHT do, and though I might not have put the right name to the right behaviors any of those things preformed by any of us can make the rest of the village test how well your head is attacked to it's shoulders.

Other than that I have nothing new to "report" other than the show in Laketown is horrible!

Last edited by Valesse; 01-30-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Valesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:45 AM   #413
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
This would be the same Glirdan who has previously posted a death too early giving rise to many problems including the knowledge of the role of the person we were lynching? Forgive if my confidence in him isn't as high as it could be.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:51 AM   #414
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Satirical and bitter, eh? However ropey the rules we're living by in this here village may seem at times, we have to abide by them or there's no point engaging in this intellectual struggle at all.

If you're so eager to give in, maybe you shouldn't be dictating to the rest of us trying to catch a beast.

Or perhaps it's you who are the beast we seek...
Old 01-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #415
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Anguirel I applaud your tenacity and your way with words. So let's have a look at the latter. I didn't bother doing this for you yesterday because you weren't around.

Day 1:
Mentions Lommy in his first post, though could be because she was the only one who had posted so far.
Realises Gil also died, negating his earlier mention of Lommy perhaps.
Votes Gandalf due to a random vote from the males, which makes sense if he knew his two fellow wolves were female.
Madness ensues, puts himself in cahoots with Fea and Eomer (now known innocents) and changes his vote to Lommy. BUT is the last person to vote for her, so his joining of the bandwagon could be to make himself appear innocent.
Claims he thinks Lommy is the Seer, but doesn’t retract his vote.

Day 2:
Agrees with Fea that Shelob must be guilty. Links Shelob with Lommy since both joined the Eomer bandwagon.
Provides a list of those he’d dream of if the Seer – all female but none the revealed wolves. Says he may join the Garin bandwagon.
Makes a point of saying he’s never been a wolf.
Suspects those who voted for Eonwe (Kath, Mith, Valesse). Still suspicious of Shelob. Ends mostly suspecting Garin, Shelob, Kath. (All innocents – two proven).
States he would bring attention to himself even if a werecreature.
Tried to pit Garin against Shelob, possibly to take scrutiny off himself.
Votes Kath.
Believes Shelob to be innocent.
Retracts vote, gives it to Roa, who has previously not been suspected.

Day 3:
Impressed with the wolves.
Guesses who tar may have dreamed of. Thinks she died dreaming of Garin. For some reason allies himself with me for a moment.
Mocks Garin.
Makes clear who is dead and who alive.
Berates me for picking up Garin’s mistake.
Votes Garin.
Sticks with Garin but says he suspects Wayne and Gandalf. Says if Garin is a wolf I’m free of suspicion – which is odd because I could still be a wolf joining the bandwagon, so unless he knows that I’m not . . .
Is against a double lynch but would be happy to lynch Gandalf.
Thinks Wayne is innocent.
Confused by Valesse.
Gives an account of previous roles. Jokingly tells Valesse she’s a wolf.

Day 4:
Nothing – but he did say that.

Day 5:
Apologises for silence. Assumes the Cursed is already dead.
Comes up with this exercise that will tell any remaining wolf how not to behave. Disregards Glirdan’s possible slip.
Tells me off for wondering if it were accidentally helping us.

Make of that what you will. I have noticed in reading through though some points about Valesse that I want to go back and look at. However, I have to go feed the tortoises now so I can't do that til later, though if anyone else wants to take that up then feel free!
Old 01-30-2006, 12:03 PM   #416
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Madam, that was a masterpiece. Of misinformation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Anguirel I applaud your tenacity and your way with words. So let's have a look at the latter. I didn't bother doing this for you yesterday because you weren't around.
When you're flattered you know it's going to bite.

Quote:
Day 1:
Mentions Lommy in his first post, though could be because she was the only one who had posted so far.
Realises Gil also died, negating his earlier mention of Lommy perhaps.
Votes Gandalf due to a random vote from the males, which makes sense if he knew his two fellow wolves were female.
Madness ensues, puts himself in cahoots with Fea and Eomer (now known innocents) and changes his vote to Lommy. BUT is the last person to vote for her, so his joining of the bandwagon could be to make himself appear innocent.
Claims he thinks Lommy is the Seer, but doesn’t retract his vote.
Your first point: it patently was. I didn't even accuse her, even indirectly, I merely addressed her. I see nothing suspicious in that, Milady Ohkrana...

I often prefer to vote for males, if voting randomly, when acting in a chivalric role. My ancestor Sir Anguirel the Fair did the same at Erbar Telemarth. Even I were a wolf, I would have voted for a male. I like to work in flourishes.

Madness ensues. Quite. You neglect to mention the fact that I caused a double-lynch which finished Thinlomien, but I know that doesn't cut any ice with you anyway. You accused me of having done that with a foul motive ages back.

More criminally, you neglect to mention that madness was still very much in currency when I said Thinlomien was the Seer. It was not a serious assertion. At the time I had announced Eomer and Fea were my fellow wolves. It was a joke. Jokes always end up killing me, perhaps because the Puritans are paid up members of the Wolves in Black guild.

Quote:
Day 2:
Agrees with Fea that Shelob must be guilty. Links Shelob with Lommy since both joined the Eomer bandwagon.
Provides a list of those he’d dream of if the Seer – all female but none the revealed wolves. Says he may join the Garin bandwagon.
Makes a point of saying he’s never been a wolf.
Suspects those who voted for Eonwe (Kath, Mith, Valesse). Still suspicious of Shelob. Ends mostly suspecting Garin, Shelob, Kath. (All innocents – two proven).
States he would bring attention to himself even if a werecreature.
Tried to pit Garin against Shelob, possibly to take scrutiny off himself.
Votes Kath.
Believes Shelob to be innocent.
Retracts vote, gives it to Roa, who has previously not been suspected.
My list of Seer dreams were jokes, jokes, more jokes! What those women have in common is that they're either known to be beautiful or I imagine them as beautiful. I'm sure you took this on board really and are annoyed I neglected to put you at the top of the list. (Yes, that was a joke too.) It was an "If I were the Seer I'd dream you every night..."-style chat-up line!

I did not say I'd never been a wolf at any point. That would be both irrelevant and false.

You suggest that voting for someone not yet suspected is wrong. What, should we gormlessly bandwagon every day then?

Quote:
Day 3:
Impressed with the wolves.
Guesses who tar may have dreamed of. Thinks she died dreaming of Garin. For some reason allies himself with me for a moment.
Mocks Garin.
Makes clear who is dead and who alive.
Berates me for picking up Garin’s mistake.
Votes Garin.
Sticks with Garin but says he suspects Wayne and Gandalf. Says if Garin is a wolf I’m free of suspicion – which is odd because I could still be a wolf joining the bandwagon, so unless he knows that I’m not . . .
Is against a double lynch but would be happy to lynch Gandalf.
Thinks Wayne is innocent.
Confused by Valesse.
Gives an account of previous roles. Jokingly tells Valesse she’s a wolf.
Weren't you impressed with the wolves too? Though you said it yourself that shouldn't?

You make me sound as though I've entered some kind of Melkorian pact signed in blood with you. I merely laid off accusing you for a day or so.

I agree that the comment about Garin's guilt determining your innocence was inane.

You've got a joke at last. Good.

Quote:
Day 4:
Nothing – but he did say that.

Day 5:
Apologises for silence. Assumes the Cursed is already dead.
Comes up with this exercise that will tell any remaining wolf how not to behave. Disregards Glirdan’s possible slip.
Tells me off for wondering if it were accidentally helping us.

Make of that what you will. I have noticed in reading through though some points about Valesse that I want to go back and look at. However, I have to go feed the tortoises now so I can't do that til later, though if anyone else wants to take that up then feel free!
I did not assume that the Cursed Villager was already dead. I said there was a 60% chance he was. Which is mathematically exactly true. I thought you were pretty good at counting, Lady Kath?

I just think that if Glirdan made such a big error (and it really seems unlikely-I'm sure Glirdan can confirm he meant "it"), we can either ignore it and play a game untainted by exterior influences, or we can risk messing things up totally be voting on a spurious basis, that will either give an unfair advantage to one team or make those who employ it look like utter...tortoises.

I also disagree with your buttonholing of my idea, as it takes into account past events and influences-like the known were-wolves-which the living wolf cannot react to based on what she (oops, I've made a crucial mistake-or have I?) reads.

Yes, the she thing was a joke too.

Remember our Ranger, villagers. Laughter is the best medicine. Don't lynch it on a knee-jerk reaction.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:32 PM   #417
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I have yet another piece of evidence that just because Glirdan describes the wolf as a he does not mean it is a male.

Quote:
"Save yourselves!" Wayne cried and just then, Valier bit his head off with his powerful jaws.
Valier is, naturally, female. Allow me to pass some pinches of salt around.

But this isn't the first time Kath has used an entirely flimsy excuse for a deduction or attack. The innocent Eonwe suffered a Kathattack for his spelling, Garin for, if I remember rightly, his grammar. Finally Kath tried to clear, ahem, all females on the basis of a narration, which in any case do not contain clues, and which are, as seen above, pretty unreliable in exact matters of players' anatomical differences. A pattern is building. A pattern it's very hard to ignore. Though I've yet to adhere to my own plan, (and I will, fear not) I feel the time has come to cast my vote; of course I retain the right to retract it if it seems the best decision. This time, though, I believe I might be consistent.

++KATH
Old 01-30-2006, 12:56 PM   #418
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Ok Anguirel, have your fun. I won't go down the path of Shelob and Garin. Suffice it to say that I'm innocent.

Mith, I hope you'll return and change your vote, and that the rest of you don't get swayed by this silver-tongued beast.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:14 PM   #419
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I have returned....

whether I change my vote.... well all I can say is I will once again reread in the light of everything new..... however sice the wolves...wolf has the habit of murdering the people who seem innocent to me.. I don't make much headway.

However ...I have thought Ang innocent for a long time ..but it is foolish to assume anything..... I have a relative amount of leisure now so I will review everything. But for now .... the vote stands.

Kath you are clever and persuasive but my instinct keeps telling me you aren't ringing true. I will let my intellect take it's turn.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:16 PM   #420
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen:
The wise walthy widow appears to already have taken a strong stand. She is known to be tricksy and a very cunning player which ever side she may reside on. I won't pretend to know what to expect from her other than something sneaky, sly, or silly.

Valesse.... it is not enough to make me change my vote for a spite one for you but this is both wrong and bordering on the personally offensive. I have been perfectly straightforward and open and I think you will find that there has and is a dramatic difference between my performances as part of the "village" and as one of the "three". Silly I may be at times - but sly and sneaky never. I really think that is uncalled for. All I have done is look at the evidence and said when I was confused and that I was sorry when I was wrong.

I have taken the strong stand becasue that is where the signs points to. I suggest you look at the evidence and refrain from pointless and inaccurate abuse. If you have charges back them up.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:22 PM   #421
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Safe in the knowledge that, as only one wolf remains, I won't be blamed for doing it, I have to defend Valesse from wolvishness or discourtesy, Mith.

This is after all her first village; she knows you're experienced and that makes her wary, not knowing as some of us do that you really don't take the side of evil, and that "sly and sneaky" are words far from your technique.

She was brave to have a stab at answering my questions, and though I agree she was a mile off with you you shouldn't blame her too harshly for it, if you ask me.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:43 PM   #422
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Mith, I can understand if you've made your mind up, but may I just make one point in my defense? Why, if I were a wolf would I make the first vote for Valier, knowing there was a chance that the rest of the village might follow me as they had been doing up to that point? Just to make myself look innocent? It's a bit risky.

I actually came to thank you for putting me on to Valier in the first place, and to apologise for causing you to change your vote. I believe you be completely innocent right now if that's any consolation.

No it isn't ...I know I am innocent ...and you had plenty of time yesterday to credit me.
You agreed with Roa's innaccurate analysis... I believed her innocent but her poweres of analysis leave a lot for desired.

I voted for Eonwe because his behaviour was the most suspicious on Day 1.

You voted for him because of his English. Frankly if that were a problem non of us would have read past the opening post....

It still rankles that you misordered the alleged Eonwe bandwagon. Even reading backwards you should have been in the middle.

I didn't lament Garin per se ... I lamented the fact that 2 innocents had tore each other apart while the wolves lurked. There is a big difference. One would be hypocrisy the other is actually wanting the village to win.

I think your vote for Valier could have been a bold insurance policy which backfired. At this stage one wolf can be enough and the cursed it seems despite Ang's point, could well still be out there.

I find it a bizarre argument that one is suspicious because one isn't suspected... missing the obvious that a very good reason for not being suspected is that one is innocent and has behaved as such. Innocents don't actually know anything... they are most likely to get things wrong.

So......

We have left .... me.... innocent.

Ang I still think innocent due to Thinlomion vote and seeming to have been exonerated by the seer.....

Valesse has offended me but on the whole she has seemed more straight forward.

Gandalf..... can't help thinking that if he were the remaining wolf he would be less disconnected.... could be playing possum incredibly well.

So Kath..... If you were an innocent... I can't help thinking there would have been less concern for others opinions... and more straight analysis.

I have had a bad run with voting which I think has kept me alive so long. Getting the wolf today is my only chance.

Ang - I don't blame you, and you are as gallant as ever but we are meant to base our play on the game... if she doesn't know she shouldn't claim she does!!!

Anyway vote for Kath stands.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:54 PM   #423
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Time is running out for me and I must attempt my own analysis of the remaining villagers, and the wolf concealed somewhere among them.

1. Anguirel-Anguirel-Wolf would be easily the loudest of the triumvirate, but though he would be a major voice in deciding kills at Night he would be less proficient at working out strategies by Day, hoping to just argue his way out of trouble and somewhat trusting to luck. Though he would try to maintain his usual style (which he's really rather vain about), nerves and tension would have extreme effects, sometimes increasing the vehemence of his cases and sometimes dampening it, in each cases drastically. He would also do a lot of innocent-binding, the only wolvish trick he pulled off in the first Werewolf game. His reaction to being alone would be increased nerves, but also an increased desperation to keep those nerves out of sight.

2. Mithalwen-Had she lasted this long, Mithalwen would be awed at her own luck, and might well try to take refuge in reticence. She would have been very much primus inter pares with her fellow wolves, and they would have had a large impact on Day and Night strategy-collegiate leadership, if you like. Now alone, she would be desperately relying on fruitless duels between innocents to further her cause, but wouldn't be confident enough to try and instigate any, I feel.

3. Kath-Kath would rely on her coherent knowledge of voting records and ability to analyse to allow her to infer rather than accuse. Slow and persistent would be her motto-no double-lynchings for her if necessary. In retrospect, she will have regretted her second comrade's hanging but been pleased that her own part in it gave her such a useful card to play. She would also hang on to maturity and moral high ground with all she had.

4. Valesse is next to Mithalwen, it seems to me at the moment, as the most innocent-looking among us. However, she doesn't have the supportive strength of Mith's track record. If a wolf, she will not have played a leading role, leaving that to the more experienced (marginally) Valier, but she may have had useful contributions to make spotting Gifteds. She would play it not too chameleonic, not combative at all, compliant with the suggestions of others, hoping to avoid suspicion for long enough. This is the sketchiest analysis I've made, I feel. Valesse has a sort of "Luthien's cloak" quality about her...

5. Gandalf is the easiest to imagine as a wolf; his job being to flee the "spotlight of death". He helped cause the lynching of innocent Wayne and dueled with him in a desultory fashion throughout; like two pawns locked together in a game of chess, but is this pawn really a bishop? Like wolf-Valesse he would have accepted Valier's leadership. A thing to consider is that if he's a wolf and he wins we'll all be incredibly irritated. However, you might think being lupine would make him post a little. He's a nightmare wolf, a worst-case scenario wolf, but not yet, I feel, one made into reality.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:01 PM   #424
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

And a final note-don't quote me, as Kath did earlier, as being sure the Cursed One is dead. All I said was that mathematically, there was a 60% chance they were lynched. Factor in Glirdan's narration (using your salt-pinch I provided earlier) and Sod's Law, you can make that percentage lower if you like. I've been beaten at the last minute by assuming the Cursed Villager was dead before, and would not like to be so again.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:54 PM   #425
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Valesse.... it is not enough to make me change my vote for a spite one for you but this is both wrong and bordering on the personally offensive.
Ah! I meant none of that in offense, Mithalwen! It was a post made all under presumption of how each player would act were they a wolf. I know you to be a very clever person and in thus a gifted player. It was meant to be a kind of forehanded...insult (or whatever the opposite of a backhanded compliment is), in truth.

Anyway at no point did I mean to speak ill of you or anyone... except myself, but I am kind of airy. I'm sorry.

Last edited by Valesse; 01-30-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Valesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:15 PM   #426
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

I don't want to give in to the inevitability of my death, but I fear that saying anything more will just give Anguirel more fuel.

But I do want to counter some of what you said Mith, because I find some of it unfair.

I did have time to credit you yesterday, but yesterday I saw no need to and hadn't looked hard enough at Valier to see that you could be right.

The Day 1 vote for Eonwe was a random vote, but we get complained at when it's completely random so I used the one thing I could.

As for misordering the names, since I didn't use the order to set up any accusations or even suspicions I truly don't see why it matters. It was not an attempt to make you look suspicious or to clear mine. I apologise if it upset you, but it was certainly not intended in any malicious way.

If I am to die, I don't want to go while you still harbour ill feelings towards me, and I hope that this goes some way to apologising for any hurt I might have caused you.

All I ask is that when I am proved innocent, you look closely at Anguirel. I know you will anyway since he was so persistent in getting me lynched, but consider it a last request.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #427
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Well I must be off now so I'll say goodbye and wish you good luck tomorrow if the morning finds me dead.

++ANGUIREL

Not exactly a surprise
Old 01-30-2006, 07:25 PM   #428
Gandalf_the _white
Wight

will there be a double lynch if the voting stays this way? I personally don't think this is wise all right it worked last time but still we could get two innocents and hand the game to the wolfs on a plate
but i can't think of anyone i feel is suspicious (its too late lol) so i won't vote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:36 PM   #429
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

No Gandalf. Unless someone decides to not vote today there can be no tie. So you don't have to search them out, though they are all on this page:

Mith: Kath
Ang: Kath
Kath: Ang

I've been taking my time considering this one... seems I've too hasty.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:29 PM   #430
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Its getting late and I don't think I will be checking in by the time 'time' is called, so its... time to vote.

I'm hurt that I hurt Mith's feelings. I've spent a good hour and a half feeling the wrath of my most toxic eyelash enhancer thinking about it alone, and it made me feel careless, heartless, and overall blue. However her vote does not affect my own.

If our wolf is not Kath, then I will not allow them the pleasure or chance of a double lynching.

I singled out her posts which mention Valier, and here is what evidence I see in it:

[--#61 Kath mentions Valier in passing. Suggests Valier and Eonwe are in kahoots... votes Eonwe.
--#127 Commended Valier's analysis of Eomer's posts.
]*

--#345 Kath appears to become aware of Valier's presence once again.

[--#353 Appears defensive of Valier toward Roa.
--#363 Lists Valier as a possible wolf
--#368 First hint of being suspicious of Valier, requests explanation.
--#377 Votes for Valier
]**

* A lack of acknowledgement possibly to hide any kind of relationship.

**Within 24 posts (And more importantly one Night) she went from defending to starting the lynch mob against Valier. The Wayne+Gandalf lynch plan has already been mentioned, and so has the wolf-list which left her in parenthesis beside mention of other posts send a message of self-innocence (mostly by Ang and of this Day).

And so...

++ Kath
Old 01-30-2006, 09:48 PM   #431
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Ok, everyone please stop voting. I'll have the death up shortly.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #432
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

After burrying the remains of Roa (which wasn't that hard), the remaining villagers gathered in the square to discuss their next move. "What ever we do, we have to make it count," Kath stated. "If we don't, we will be in so much trouble in the morning!"

"Well, I say we vote now!" Ang cried. Right then and there, they voted. Only four of the five voted. Gandalf decided it would be better off to save his vote until past voting time. ( ) "Well Kath," Mith said bitterly. "Looks like your the one."

"Well I never!!" Kath cried. "I've hearded this here village's tortoise's without pay, and this is the thanks I get!?" she cried hysterically.

"SHUT UP!!" Valesse yelled. Everyone was very agitated and nervous. "Ok, now that we've decided whom to lynch, how will we lynch her. Don't you remember? The gallows collapsed."

"We could always feed her to her tortoise's?" Mith suggested quietly. With that, they tied her up, led her to her tortoise pens and threw her in. Very slowly, the tortoise's walked over to the body and began to eat at her. She screamed in pain as one, who had particularly sharp teeth, bit into her neck and didn't let go. She continued to scream untill she ran out of breath. She then died, gasping for air. The villagers watched and waited. But nothing happened. Another day gone, another innocent slain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dead
Glirdan(Mod) - Night 1 - Beheaded and then reheaded with a sax
Gil-Galad(Mod) - Night 1 - Bled to death.
Eonwe(Ordo) - Day 1 - gallows collapse on top of her
Thin(Wolf) - Day 1 - strangled to death, by Valesse with a hidden chord
Eomer(Ranger) - Night 2 - stabbed through his stomach with own sword
Shelob(Ordor) - Day 2 - killed herself with her scciors in sacrifice
tar-ancalime(Seer) - Night 3 - stabbed by spear through the heart
Feanor of the Peredhil(Hunter) - Night 3 -Mauled on both sides
Garin(Ordo) - Day 3 - Buzz sawed neatly in two
Crombie(Ordo) - Night 4 - Torn to bits and body pieces dispersed through house
Wayne(Ordo) - Day 4 - Head bitten off by Valier
Valier(Wolf) - Day 4 - Burned to death by one of Gandalf's spells
Roa(Ordo) - Night 5 - Flesh eaten right off and only bones remain
Kath(Ordo) - Day 5 - Died gasping for air as a tortoise bit her neck

Alive
Ang
Mith
Gandalf
Valesse

Day 5 is over. Night 6 starts. Need a name from the Wolf. Sorry for any wierd things that I've said in the deaths. I've been out of it due to stress because of exams.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:35 PM   #433
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Gandalf sat in his living room, thinking of all the different spells he uses each night to protect his house. Tonight, however, nothing was coming to him. "What is the matter with me!?" he cried out loud. That's when images of the dead villagers flashed before his eyes. Right then and there, he broke down, balling his eyes out. The he heard a scratch at window and he jumped. "Oh!! It's just a tree branch!" Then he heard a knock at the door. He jumped and the door swung open. "Oh! It's just the wind." The he heard another scratch at the window. "I'm not falling for that one again."

"Maybe not. But you should be afraid!" snarled the figure lumbering towards him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The villagers awoke in the morning, lumbered out of bed, got dressed groggily and slumped to the village square. There was a sad, depressed mood in the air. To no one's surprise, they noticed that Gandalf was the one missing this time. "Oh, I really don't want to go see what's happened to the guy. After all teh dead bodies of friends that I've seen, I think I might throw up!" Valesse said solemnly(sp?). Just then, Mith screamed in terror. "What!? What is it!?"

"Gan-gan-GANDALF!!" Mith gasped, and she fell in faint. Ang and Valesse turned to where she was pointing an saw the most ghastly sight that they've ever seen. Gandalf's body was right there, in the middle of the square, torn to bits yet placed in the shape of the message:

Hurry up and catch me
For thee only have one day to find me
!

Of course, there were letters left out of some of the words, yet they were able to read the crudely shaped words. True to her word, Valesse threw up on the spot.

Dead
Glirdan(Mod) - Night 1 - Beheaded and then reheaded with a sax
Gil-Galad(Mod) - Night 1 - Bled to death.
Eonwe(Ordo) - Day 1 - gallows collapse on top of her
Thin(Wolf) - Day 1 - strangled to death, by Valesse with a hidden chord
Eomer(Ranger) - Night 2 - stabbed through his stomach with own sword
Shelob(Ordor) - Day 2 - killed herself with her scciors in sacrifice
tar-ancalime(Seer) - Night 3 - stabbed by spear through the heart
Feanor of the Peredhil(Hunter) - Night 3 -Mauled on both sides
Garin(Ordo) - Day 3 - Buzz sawed neatly in two
Crombie(Ordo) - Night 4 - Torn to bits and body pieces dispersed through house
Wayne(Ordo) - Day 4 - Head bitten off by Valier
Valier(Wolf) - Day 4 - Burned to death by one of Gandalf's spells
Roa(Ordo) - Night 5 - Flesh eaten right off and only bones remain
Kath(Ordo) - Day 5 - Died gasping for air as a tortoise bit her neck
Gandalf(Ordo) - Night 6 - Body torn to bits and placed in a crudely shaped message

Alive
Ang
Mith
Valesse

It's down to the last day. Good luck!!
Old 02-01-2006, 01:43 AM   #434
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

That wolf's grammar is dreadful.

An interesting choice of kill by the lupine, illiterate vermin. I confess Gandalf_the_White was my prime suspect after the revelation of Kath's innocence, against all the odds.

Comforting at least to know that we're being beaten not by sheer dumb silence...but by...acrobatic...skill.

The unobtrusive, hesitant maiden who cast her vote for Eonwe and got away with it. Who so cunningly left Valier to hang in vain, making her voting record just as good-just as dangerous, therefore-as mine. Who did, in a way, attempt to cast suspicion on Mith.

It has to be Valesse. Mith herself I'm not considering. You should have slain her last night, she-wolf, for she's a clearly unambiguous figure. She has a bad voting record, worst out of us three. She's befuddled by events. Such tactics don't fit with her as a wolf in the least, and they've been patently clear from the start. She will have to be our arbiter today.

As for myself-I have Kath's word against me. But she was herself but a fallible innocent, after all. Eonwe and Shelob both fell by her vote, though Valier too. Her reaction was defensive and natural. But mistaken, I assure you.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:02 AM   #435
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
we're being beaten not by sheer dumb silence...but by...acrobatic...skill.
I have to admit... thats a charming little blurb.

As for the accusation: My vote for Eonwe even you admitted was more justified than your own. The Day of Valier death I tried to make clear that I did not want a double lynching, but since I was totally unsure of who I believed to be a wolf that Day I let the village's will decide.

Where did I try to cast suspicion onto Mith, goodly knight? The post you encouraged us all to write about "How so-and-so would act as the last wolf"?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:03 PM   #436
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Oh, for Mith to turn up. The last Day is almost as bad as the first.

It's left to me to parry and riposte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valesse
As for the accusation: My vote for Eonwe even you admitted was more justified than your own. The Day of Valier death I tried to make clear that I did not want a double lynching, but since I was totally unsure of who I believed to be a wolf that Day I let the village's will decide.
I admitted nothing of the kind actually, unless perhaps you're addressing Mith. I just looked back, and the gist of what I said was that your justification was ominously vague (something about "tactics", without qualification) but that I thought you seemed like a panicked innocent.

As for my own vote for Thinlomien , I justified it perfectly after the lynching, though it was, true, shrouded in assumed insanity prior to that point...

"Let the villages will decide." In other words, you were passive. There was still my vote to come in all possibility. The situation hung on a knife's edge. Good, but not quite good enough, o demoiselle acrobatique.

Quote:
Where did I try to cast suspicion onto Mith, goodly knight? The post you encouraged us all to write about "How so-and-so would act as the last wolf"?
A fair point. I had asked for an opinion, and you did warn you might be somewhat off due to lack of experience. The fact remains that you were quite startlingly off...but perhaps I should let that particular element pass.

The rest is very far from silence, however.

In two and a half hours my time here will be curtailed. I shall retire to the chapel of the Anguirelli and pray for a wise decision. But I will have to cast my vote first, and at this rate Mith is not going to be its recipient.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #437
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I am here ... I didn't expect to be here. Maybe if I work out why I am here I will have a better chance of making the right decision.

Old 02-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #438
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ack! I got my source wrong! Well this is great.

Those were the words of Kath, and in her memory I am deeply embarassed to have confused the two of you. This has been a hectic week and I a exhaused. As far as being passive: I found no reason not to be instead of making a mindless accusation. Am I not allowed to do so, when I had no dramatic suspisions which would make me act otherwise?

About being "startingly off" about Mithalwen: I have never really spoken to her, so from what basis is left for assumption that I had past knowing her to be a clever person, and hearing about her success in past games what more could a girl say? I did what you asked of me to the best of my ability at the time, and for that I am suspected of wolvery? What trechery is this?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #439
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I would point out that this is not a question of who knows me best that we have to decide. We have to decide which of us is a wolf.

Needless to say in my case I have to decide which of you is a werewolf... but then I would wouldn't I .

I am going to reread with the two options in mind and it will be the overall picture not a bit of nit-picking that is likely to be a truer guide at this stage.

Old 02-01-2006, 01:18 PM   #440
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I accept your arbitration, Mith. However, by definition this means I have no choice which way to vote-and vote I must. I can scarcely, having placed myself under your jurisdiction, declare you guilty, and, as I still hope we may attain victory, I do not intend to self-defeatingly accuse myself. I have never done so in the past and, Valar willing, will not do in the future.

That means that, however insecure my case-and while Valesse seems the most stained with guilt to me, there is far less indication of her skullduggery than there was in the case of the innocent Kath-I have no option other than to vote

++VALESSE

I am sure you will understand. I place justice in the wealthy widow's hands, and as the remaining representative of the secular nobility, by the power invested in me I appoint her Chief Arbiter of Mejis. For the next hour I will be intermittently present. I will provide further arguments for my case if our judge requests it, but otherwise I shall leave her to consider.

If I am wrong and Mith is the last wolf...she must have been taking tuition from local, ah, phantoms, and frankly I am too impressed with her performance to wish to vote against her.