The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2005, 01:58 AM   #401
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
*pant* just back for a final point:
The good thing about speeding up the process with more lynchings is because we thus minimise the number of kills the wolf can make. Because whoever we the villagers lynch, we can't turn a cursed villager into a werewolf and we won't lynch a known innocent (Saurreg, Celuien). We need as many known innocents alive for the final vote as possible.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:02 AM   #402
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Yes I think I see an error in your logic: you seem very sure the werewolf will try to kill the cursed villager. But it's more than likely the cursed villager is already dead among all those lynchings of innocents, as has already been suggested. Either way, the risk is too big for her/him and (s)he risks too much to kill the Hunter who may yet have the chance to save the village. No, the remaining werewolf knows (s)he stands a much bigger chance if he kills Saurreg and leaves for tomorrow three villagers suspicious of each other. We all know how innocents can accuse innocents, right? As far as I can see, this last wolf is very cunning and relatively sure of her/his victory. We haven't even made him/her sweat. I was half expecting today to see someone so obviously desperate, that it would be a dead giveaway. But maybe we didn't give him/her cause for desperation yet. He/She may be far from the list of suspects even.

I am surprised that my declaration that I wasn't gifted convinced Firefoot of me being innocent. Since the only remaining gifted is the Hunter, and (s)he is more useful to us dead than alive...

Also Celuien's hasty post was not entirely consistent with her analytical posts so far...

I need a little time to think. I'll cast my vote soon.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:18 AM   #403
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Fare thee well, no more fortune cookies for you ;p

Lalaith, why didn't you cast your vote for lmp already since you clearly suspect him the most? Why wait until the very end of the voting to do that? Even if I choose to vote for you, Saurreg could come along and make this a tie like he intended from the beginning, so the both of us will die anyway. You give me no great reason to trust you by holding out like that. And now I have the burden of deciding if this will be a triple tie or not. As I said, I am basically against the idea because the villagers will stop having the numerical advantage over the wolves. I don't think the odds of still having the cursed villager among us are so high that we need to lynch half of the population in one day.

I think I will give up my democratic right to vote. Sorry. I do not believe in lmp's guilt almost at all. If he's a wolf, then I'll admit I'm dumb and that my part is in the kitchen. I'd vote for another person, which would either be Feanor or Firefoot, but I'm pretty sure the two remaining to vote won't follow up on that, so it would be a wasted vote. So that makes it up to you, Saurreg and Lalaith, to decide this day's outcome.

Needless to point it out to the rest of you - if Lalaith chooses to save herself, despite the fact that she proposed as many lynchings as possible today, you need to watch her carefully tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:51 AM   #404
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Evisse:
I have to wait to vote for littlemanpoet, because I need to see what Saurreg and you agree to. That is the only reason I'm waiting, believe me.
And no, I am NOT saying the wolf is more likely to go for the cursed villager. I said that he was more likely to try for Saurreg.
And why are you casting doubt on Celuien? Whatever she does, she is categorically to be trusted, the seer said so. There will not be three villagers suspicious of each other tomorrow, as the wolf cannot kill both Celuien and Saurreg tonight. There will still remain one trusted villager.
Where is Saurreg, for heavens sakes? What does he think? Saurreg and I could still pull off my plan, unless Evisse is the wolf and will step in at the last minute to vote for me. Even though everyone will then realise she is the wolf, she might be gambling desperately that she will kill the cursed villager tonight and so outnumber us tomorrow morning. Its her only hope of survival, now.
I will re-state my case against lmp. It was because the reasons he gave for suspecting me were mostly dishonest smears. Eg
Quote:
typical failure to account for cross posting, mathematics, and other such mis-steps
This just isn't true. I may have made mistakes, but I have accounted for them openly and honestly, perhaps more than any other villager. He could, if he really suspected me, have accused me of doing this as a double-bluff, but to try to rewrite history is just plain dodgy.
Also lmp doesn't address the issue of Anguirel voting for Nilp to save me, which I think was a fairly strong point in my favour.
Anyway, at the moment I actually suspect Evisse as much as Lmp so I still think they should both die and I would still be prepared to die myself to make this happen. But I'm not sacrificing myself just for Evisse who would probably die anyway.
Saurreg?
Old 06-30-2005, 04:02 AM   #405
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Lalaith, your latest pleas have convinced me of your innocence. I'm sorry I voted for you. Maybe it would be best to lynch three of us after all, so that we do have known innocents outnumbering the remaining werewolf. So if lynching me helps the village, go for it.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:23 AM   #406
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
2 votes for Lalaith, 2 votes for Evisse the blue. I will make my vote now:

++littlemanpoet

Now we will see where Lalaith goes from here. If she is true, three will die today. If not...

Quote:
Once you die and I find out the truth, I'll either sigh with relief and start accepting compliments, or I'll sigh with secondary relief and proffer myself to the village as sacrifice for screwing up royally. I doubt the latter need happen though, since I doubt I'm wrong about you.
I pray this holds true.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:28 AM   #407
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Phew. Thank you.

++littlemanpoet

Goodbye everyone, and good luck. I hope this is the end and that the wolf will be found today.
If Evisse steps in to vote now, we'll have found the wolf even before the lynching.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:29 AM   #408
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

PS Saurreg, satisfy the curiosity of a doomed woman, what's that quote of yours?
Old 06-30-2005, 04:36 AM   #409
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

That was quoted from Feanor of the Peredhil in one of her posts today.A quasi-vow she made to kill herself if Elvisse was innocent. I pray firefoot and Celuien would see it and remember.

EDIT: Post 383 to be exact.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:44 AM   #410
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

I've just thought. Unless Evisse slips in with a sneaky vote now, (in which case she's definitely the wolf) I suggest that if the Hunter is killed today or tonight s/he is probably wisest to choose to kill him/herself.

Because if the Hunter screws up and kills an innocent, I believe I'm right in thinking that the wolf definitely wins. What do y'all think?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:37 AM   #411
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
The village had decided. To save the known innocents and to (almost) secure a victory for the villagers, three brave souls would surrender their lives.

"Evisse... She was the first to garner votes, so she shall be the first to die. Farewell, baker" one of the villagers said.

"And fortune cookie maker," Evisse interjected, "I make fortune cookies too. My cookie for today was 'you're screwed,' incidentally. I found that amusing."

The villagers looked at her. She shrugged and stepped forward, ready to die for the sake of her village. The Odd-noose was tied around her neck, the newly fitted Odd-trapdoor swung open, and her neck snapped.

She hung there, swaying in the wind, limp. And her body remained that of a sweet and humble baker-maiden. They had erred.

As the Odd-trapdoor was moved back into place, the Odd-noose was removed from Evisse's neck. Her body was thrown off the platform (nightfall was closing in, they didn't have time for ceremony).

"Lalaith... Lalaith shall be the next to die. Let us hope she is the werewolf."

"I will die gladly, if the village may be saved," she replied, "but innocent am I, and innocent have I ever been. You slay now one of your own."

Proudly, she stepped up to the Odd-noose. She lowered her head, and it slipped around her neck.

The Odd-trapdoor disappeared from under her feet. She felt herself falling - falling? That shouldn't happen! The rope had come off the frame of the gallows!

What was it with this village? Why couldn't they make gallows properly? Oddwen would be spinning in her grave, if she had one (they had decided to leave her in the street. Nobody wants to touch a carcass, after all).

Lalaith fell through the trapdoor. Unable to prepare, she landed with a thud as her neck broke. The gallows had served its duty, if not in the appropriate manner.

The villagers looked down. Would she transform? Was this the final wolf?

Nope. Another innocent was dead. They turned to littlemanpoet.

"How does this work without a functioning gallows?" he inquired.

"Looks like we'll have to revert to a good old lynching, old boy. Wait here while we get our pitchforks, would you?" they replied.

Five minutes later, LMP was surrounded by the four remaining villagers. Just for of them. He could do it...

The butcher roared, lifting his head and howling at the newly risen moon. His body expanded, bursting out of his bloodstained apron, as hair and muscle sprouted all over his body.

The villagers shivered and shuffled backwards in fear. They had found their werewolf... or he had found them. What now?

LMP looked menacingly at them. He bared his teeth, saliva dripping from his jaws as he advanced upon them. They had to fight, or he would kill them all! But who would dare to attack such a powerful, furious beast?

Feanor of the Peredhil, Werewolf Hunter, stepped forward, crossbow in hand. The wolf eyed her. She eyed the wolf. Time froze.

"Aure entuluva!" she cried suddenly, her voice piercing the silence as she loosed her bolt. It flew true, striking the wolf in the heart. LMP made a strange gurgling noise, presumably indicating pain in the Black Speech.

He keeled backward. She ran forward. Sword in hand, she sliced, and the werewolf's head vacated his shoulders. He was dead.

They had won! The villagers had defeated Sauron, servant of Morgoth, on a small personal level. And if they could do it, so could others all around Beleriand. There was still hope, hope for the long war of the Noldor...

VILLAGERS WIN!
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:39 AM   #412
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

For those interested

Seer dreams:

Night 1 – Celuien
Night 2 – Nobody
Night 3 – Saurreg
Night 4 – Hookbill the Goomba
Night 5 - Feanor of the Peredhil

The cursed villager was Oddwen.

Wonderful game!
Old 06-30-2005, 06:45 AM   #413
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Victory!
Old 06-30-2005, 06:45 AM   #414
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

And some stonkingly good deaths, mr moderator. Three cheers for you from the depths of the gallows.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:48 AM   #415
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pray tell; is this the first time good triumphed over evil here in the barrow-downs?
Old 06-30-2005, 07:04 AM   #416
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

What the heck...

Good game everyone.

So the wide-net strategy worked eh? Good.

Anguriel - you were the man! Nicely played. I hope what I deduced were what you intended to reveal.

At first I thought Fea was the seer because she went for LMP.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:05 AM   #417
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Victory!

Yes, Saurreg, this is the first time the innocents have won.

But, Kudos, lmp - I never suspected you for a wolf.

Fea, I had started to wonder whether you were the hunter. It was finally making sense why you were being so... noisy. And it seems that you were right about lmp all along.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:09 AM   #418
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

No, I didn't suspect him until right at the end, when he launched his attack on me.

I thought our Seer was ambigious about me because he might have dreamt I was cursed. That was one of the reasons I was willing to die at the hands of the villagers. Now I see he didn't dream me at all. Well guessed, Anguirel. And a good move re Feanor, you let us continue to suspect her as she could be useful dead.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:17 AM   #419
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Congratulations to the villagers for proving that wholesale slaughter is a viable defense!

"We must destroy the village in order to save it!"

Old 06-30-2005, 07:19 AM   #420
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Drastic but effective. But it can only work with a large number of villagers to go around with.

Thank the stars that the cursed villager was already dead. S/he was my main concern on this day.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:23 AM   #421
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Drastic but effective.
I can see a potential problem from the villagers point of view, though.

It might not be something you'd want to try too often...
Old 06-30-2005, 07:25 AM   #422
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

LOL! I can't believe it! *shakes head* I've screwed up big time, but thankfully you were smarter than me. Now it's all falling in a place. No hard feelings, I hope, Lalaith.

I can hardly be blamed though for not suspecting lmp, as I see not many did either. Except Feanor; expect her to drop in any second with the words "I knew it all the time". He played an amazing game throughout, he deserves all the praise.
In fact everyone played very well.

All in all it was a great game, but I'm extremely happy it's over.

And as for the Seer not dreaming on Night 2: I later assumed he dreamt of Eomer that Night because he protected him the next day and helped lynch phantom. And see, he did not dream of Lalaith. ;p
Old 06-30-2005, 07:28 AM   #423
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
I can see a potential problem from the villagers point of view, though.

It might not be something you'd want to try too often...
No kiddin. I only wanted a double lynch but werewolves being werewolves opted to take along an additional villager for the ride. *Shrugs* What were we supposed to do?

We should call this the "W-W IV Everything Goes" Technique.

Fortune favours the bold.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:28 AM   #424
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Way to pull off the multiple lynching. That's exactly what I would've done, though I would've pushed for a five-way tie just to be safe- only leaving Celuien and Saurreg, the proven innocents, alive.
Quote:
Congratulations to the villagers for proving that wholesale slaughter is a viable defense!
A mass lynching is always the way to go when there is only one wolf left. You simply excuse the proven innocents from the voting and assign everyone else to vote for each other so that everyone is tied at one vote a piece and the villagers win. If someone steps out of line and doesn't vote the way they were assigned then you have found your wolf and the proven innocents step in with their votes and kill them.

Circular voting always works. It's a technique I use quite often in real life games of Mafia (a game just like Werewolf).

I was happy to die when I did since I knew that the wolves could not kill the seer while they were busy killing me- but sitting back watching the game unfold was quite a trial. I kept on wanting to jump in and say something. I'm sure the others who died know the feeling.

It was fun being a sheriff with you, Saurreg. I think we pretty much did as much good as we could.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:29 AM   #425
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

No worries, Evisse.

The only point of wholesale slaughter is if you have, as we had, one or more known innocents. They are vital, strategically, and everyone else is expendable.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:32 AM   #426
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Phantom, you couldn't have had a five-way killing.
You had to have at least 3 villagers other than the werewolf still alive because otherwise he would have killed one of the two survivors in the night and won.

EDIT: Sorry, just read *your* edited post. I see what you mean.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:33 AM   #427
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

The honor was all mine Phantom. Had you not stuck up for me in round two, I would have very well perished early in the game.

I am also glad the game is over and I think this would be my first and last.

Good play Lalaith - you have much credit for bringing the villagers to victory.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:38 AM   #428
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Well, I had to do something to redeem myself. Well done yourself for your deal with Anguirel and thanks for believing me.

Quote:
I am also glad the game is over and I think this would be my first and last.
Ha! I know exactly what you all mean. I feel quite drained...
Old 06-30-2005, 07:44 AM   #429
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Accepts applause

And here I thought that the good move on my part was to scream at LMP's guilt. Oh, and to make sure he was always poised to die, should you all go insane and lynch me.

My idea for proffering myself yesterday was one that my brother saw after I posted and fell out of his chair. "Wait... so if one suspect isn't guilty, they kill you, put their minds at ease, and you're guaranteed to kill the one you've wanted dead all along? That's awesome!"

Well-played everyone.

Ang- fantastic, ol' boy

Celuien- if you'd been a wolf, I'd never have known. Well done.

Eomer- Way to die! Also, way to spar with tp. That's always fun.

Eswen- wish I'd seen more of you

Firefoot- fun, wasn't it?

Hookie- I'll ne'er take ye for an innocent again.

Kath- sorry you died so early

Lalaith- Hehe... you as the Hunter.... I think I accused everyone of that at least once. Did anyone pick up on my plan, once they read what I said about her? "If she choses, say... LMP, and dies..." Very excellent sacrifice, m'dear.

LMP- I'm glad I'm a stubborn lass. Would have been depressing to give up on that one.

Nilp- Absolutely fascinating! "I'm a wolf, lynch me."

Oddwen- where your death came from, I'll never know. I missed out on that one entirely.

Saurreg- thanks for kicking me in the head with your comments until I paid more attention to Ang.

Spawn- You'll love one of my death requests. It was before my suspicion of LMP cemented (Night One, maybe?), so I was still casting around to play it safe:

I give you now my last request
And hope it works out for the best.
If I die before the dawn,
I'm taking with me Dancing Spawn.
She's posted thrice, but never voices
Anger, confusion, or personal choices.
Her presence is felt, but it's low-key
Which makes me think a wolf, she be.
It's funny that I should now accuse
One who, first post, I set out to abuse.
The one thing though, I truly fear
Is that I'm slaughtering our Seer!

tp- I considered you with every role known to man. I wanted to vote for you just because your arrogant healer talk annoyed me to no end, but I'm glad I refrained (even if it was for different reasons than your innocence).

And now, for my early and earnest calls for closer looks at LMP, plus my astonishingly cool slaying of him, I will be accepting gold token, flowers (black roses, if you don't mind), and praising (with great praise).

Fickle Fea indeed.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 06-30-2005 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Yep... "I told you so." ;)
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:49 AM   #430
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

I'm so glad our esteemed moderator let you kill lmp, Fea. You thoroughly deserved to.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:59 AM   #431
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Me too Lal. I almost screwed up big time yesterday (yep, admitting I'm wrong), although your sacrifice would have fixed it. For a space of maybe two hours, Evisse was in the space LMP had been keeping warm. It occured to me though, that I could get the village to vote for Evisse, but since I'd been trying days to kill LMP with no avail, I needed to back down publicly with him, but leave his head in the figurative noose.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:07 AM   #432
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril Very interesting

Even though I died very early in the game, , I've been reading and guessing along with everyone still alive. It was great fun!

I think that was the first werewolf game here that the villagers won, though I could be wrong.

I'm looking forward to playing the next game, hopefully I'll last longer...
Old 06-30-2005, 08:17 AM   #433
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Yes, I felt for those who died early. Particularly those in whose demise I played a part. *sheepishly offers some of Feanor's black roses to Oddwen and Kath*

I wonder what did happen to Esgallhugwen? I've checked and she hasn't been back since she disappeared that day...must have been very annoying for poor Hookbill and lmp, they were already at a disadvantage, what with this being such a big game....
Old 06-30-2005, 08:21 AM   #434
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
At Last!

Me, cursed? That would explain the poorly constructed gallows *groan*

It's a good thing I was lynched, though, I've been screaming about Lalaith for days...

Good game, everyone!

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:23 AM   #435
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
poor Hookbill and lmp, they were already at a disadvantage
True about it being a big game, but LMP had the advantage of nobody thinking he was guilty. I'm curious, LMP, what did you think when I started bashing you? And very nice work with the early vote for Hookbill. Clever.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:26 AM   #436
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Congratulations for the long-expected victory! It was great to play with you all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
If I die before the dawn, I'm taking with me Dancing Spawn.
Well, I'm glad you didn't die that night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaelia
I've been reading and guessing along with everyone still alive. It was great fun!
Me too, but as phantom said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
I kept on wanting to jump in and say something.
It was hard when you didn't get to say your opinions.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:31 AM   #437
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

The game actually ran into difficulty before it even started. I'm not sure if anybdy noticed, but mormegil said he would be in the game but didn't appear in it. Unfortunately, Hookbill accidentally PMed him, thinking he was a wolf, so we both agreed he should be excluded. Which was a shame, I like his style of play.

I almost whacked my head on my desk about mixing up the times. Ah well, it happens.

That's about all that went wrong with the game, actually. I loved modding it - it was a great experience. Thanks for all the reps too guys. About four of those boxes come from this thread.

And about the tree-frogs... I'm not sure where the idea came from, but it had been lingering in my mind for a long time. Which kinda makes you worry about my mind, doesn't it?
Old 06-30-2005, 08:33 AM   #438
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Well Mr. Mod, I say you were first-class. My favourite was the post on Hookbill's death. Classic.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:37 AM   #439
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

TGWBS, when tp died, there was an envelope that someone picked up. I'm assuming Saurreg got it, as the other Sherriff, but what exactly was it? Just a random addition to the story?

My favorite death by far was Eomer's, what with Ulmo's hugs. I just about fell out of the chair laughing. He's too good looking to die!
Old 06-30-2005, 08:37 AM   #440
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
You were great, Guy, even with your little *ahem* problems.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote