The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Awesome, Nogrod. I'm excited about having you.

Inzil, I'm glad you've joined as well, I just haven't gotten around to saying so.

Shasta and Mith, can I take your interest and your questions to be an indication of you joining, too? I hope? Maybe?

Mith, you are right - the King's Dwarf will be an extraordinarily difficult role to play and win with. And you are also right that for the KD to send in a wrong name would pin him and get him killed. That's another reason why I wasn't worried about it at all.

I was thinking that the Forge needs more members than just 1 member per 4 villgaers. Possibly 1 to 3. That is, if we had 12 players, 4 would be Forge members. Does that sound fair?

Foley, yes I think I would like to play this one. Really fascinating concept but not too complicated.

As to fairness.. well while the Kings Dwarf will know all the others he will have to play his hand subtly to avoid being killed. Since if he helps his supposed fellows get lynched too much he is again on dangerous ground. Right if The Sweetheart is lynched then the KD dies but the game goes on. If KD is wolf killed - game over. If KD is lynched? Does the game carry on?

If so you could end up with a game with a lot of wolves and only one gifted who has lost the benefit of the KD's tips although being allowed ot protect twice in a row has that psych weapon of makingthe wolves guess if the double protect is used or not.

All my games have ended up being quite one sided however much I tried to make it fair. Bear in mind that in any game you are liable to have at least one drop out and a couple of players whose attendance is limited - even with the best will in the world RL can get in the way. Now obviously you should keep your role selection method private but you may want to think about what happens if KD is up for modfiring or what ever.

Classic WW was 1in4 players was a wolf. With 1 seer. If you felt that was too low you could have a cursed (bear in mind that a night killed player is often a strong player esp late in the game..) or a cobbler or..well I forget the other less used roles. If you think it is a bit high you could add a gifted.. A lot will depend on how many bods you get to sign up.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The game sounds great, Foley! Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate, since all my teachers decided that February is the perfect month to catch up on everything. I doubt that I'll have enough time to read through everything, much less to analyse it! Really sorry to have to miss out...
I guess I'll just have to wait until a long break before I participate...
Old 02-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
I just figured out where the potential DL times are for me: 3 p.m. CST is really bad for me three days out of the week (smack dab in the middle of my school/work day), but the later DL would work marvelously all the time.

Just thought you should have my input.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
However for me the 3 pm one would be best since I think that would be 9pm GMT whereas the other would be a horrendous 5 am...

Old 02-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Welcome, elrond's daughter. Sorry you can't play, Galadriel. Mith, I'm happy to have you aboard.

Yes, I would like to hear people's input on what deadline would be best for them. However, the final call will probably be if I think I will be able to effectively work my schedule around it, because I plan on spending about an hour before each deadline figuring out what happened and how best to write it. 11:00 P.M. works for me because I know I will always have the hour between 10 and 11 clear. 3:00 is less certain, as I am at work two days a week and although I have internet access, I don't always have time.

What is the cursed role?

EDIT: Mith, about your question about what happens if the KD is lynched: the game will continue as normal, until the Forge's members are all killed or until the Forge whittles down the number of villagers to their remaining number. I have put this into the first post.

EDIT #2: A lot of nick-names have been made up for players. When we have our full player list, I'd like to request one of two things. Either people call everyone by their screen names or obvious shortenings there-of (i.e. Inzil, Mith, and Shasta) or somebody post a list for me with screen-names and nick-names so I can tell who's being called what. Otherwise I fear I might lynch the wrong person, and that'd be baaaaad.

Last edited by Folwren; 02-13-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Folwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Foley, I do hope you realise I am not being critical - just only too aware that the one situation that hasn't been anticipated is likely to arise... and while I am shoving my oar in I would add that moddidng is more effort than you may think and you must be selfish and choose the best time for you - you can't please everyone with a world wide clientele so you may as well suit yourself.

Heartily endorse the use of true or obvious nicknames early. I think there is a list somewhere but it drove me nuts in the last game... having not played for ages particularly I found it deeply annoying to have obscure nicknames bandied by the cognoscenti.

The cursed is a prechosen player who if attacked by a wolf at night doesn't die but turns into a wolf and joins the pack. they don't know they are cursed until they are "turned" and nothing happens if they are lynched so it is a bit of a wild card.

Oh can the watchman protect KD from the other Forge members?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Any DL is no problem for me. If I can't be around at that time, so be it. It wouldn't be the first time.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:06 AM   #8
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Foley, I do hope you realise I am not being critical - just only too aware that the one situation that hasn't been anticipated is likely to arise... and while I am shoving my oar in I would add that moddidng is more effort than you may think and you must be selfish and choose the best time for you - you can't please everyone with a world wide clientele so you may as well suit yourself.
True enough. My concern with the 3 p.m. CST DL was mostly just that there might be some days where I would have to vote only a few hours into the Day, and I think it's hardly fair to everyone else playing for me to only be present for a few hours, and those vastly before DL.

But yes, Foley, choose whatever works best for you. If I have to vote obscenely early, then that's what I must do. Unless you think it would make a horrid game for everyone else - in which case I shall withdraw.

Whatever you think best, O Great Mod.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I haven't felt you were being critical, so it's all good. I appreciate your input.

Quote:
Oh can the watchman protect KD from the other Forge members?
Sure, if he can figure out who he is, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
I have only one question, or concern, regarding the King's Dwarf: what actually prevents the King's Dwarf from coming out the first Day and saying "Hi! I am KD, the rest of the baddies are X, Y and Z."? I think a person with any sense for sporty game wouldn't do that, but just hypothetically, I could see a problem with this. Or is it so that the KD can only win if he/she really, really survives until the end? (If so, then perhaps you should emphasise it a bit more strongly...)
Well, the main thing that prevents him from coming out on Day 1 is the fact that the Forges will kill him during the night. Or, as Mith suggested, he could put himself up for killing that evening. But that would completely ruin the entirety of the game and I would be really cranky.

No, my intention was that the KD could never announce to anybody his true identity. I am sorry I never said this. As you can see, I really don't know what I'm doing and am only learning as I go along.

I'm trying to think realistically in the context of my scenerio - the KD doesn't want to die, so he can't tell the villagers who he is because then either the villagers won't kill him and the Forges will, or the villagers will kill him so the Forges won't. Heads he loses, tails he...doesn't win. I almost made it so that the game would be over if he died at all, but I figured that would be way too difficult.

So the idea of a sort of seer, so that the villgers would have another gifted...
And also the idea that 1 in 3 being a Forge member is too much...
I will think it over. You are probably right.

What do you all think of the idea of the KD choosing the Sweetheart?

Edit: Nerwen, are you joining us?