The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
A few more examples of the "seeing 'downers -phenomenon":

My little sister was studying geography and reading her geography textbook aloud. I really wasn't listening to her, but one word did catch my attention.
Me: "What?! Did you say "runemuodostelma"?
Sister: "Silly. I said "reunamuodostuma"."
Good for me. Even though I must say I'm a master of mishearing words. Maybe that I managed to hear "muodostuma" as "muodostelma" gives some idea of it. (Muodostuma and muodostelma both mean "formation" in Finnish, "muodostuma" is just something that has formed by itself and "muodostelma" is something shaped/formed by humans. And the proper English translation of the term "reunamuodostelma" is "ice marginal formation" or something like that, in case anyone was wondering. )

Also, my sister read that her toothbrush said "Legate" when it really said "Colgate". When I laughed at her and told her she seems to be addicted to the BD she replied something like: "No, I'm not. That was all your fault, because you always speak of the Barrow-Downs and Barrow-Downs people." I leave it for you to judge which one of us is to blame.

Lastly, I couldn't help laughing when studying irregular Swedish and found "to burn": brinna, brinner, brann, brunnit. Sounded all too much like Brinn(iel) to me...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Also, my sister read that her toothbrush said "Legate" when it really said "Colgate". When I laughed at her and told her she seems to be addicted to the BD she replied something like: "No, I'm not. That was all your fault, because you always speak of the Barrow-Downs and Barrow-Downs people." I leave it for you to judge which one of us is to blame.
You, of course But still it seems to me that your sister could write to this thread herself. And whatever the case, I am very amused by this. (Actually, I happen to have a Colgate toothpaste...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Lastly, I couldn't help laughing when studying irregular Swedish and found "to burn": brinna, brinner, brann, brunnit. Sounded all too much like Brinn(iel) to me...
That's the only thing from all you named that I would consider "normal", because I would also read it like that. In fact, for already a very long time I have similar problem with the latin verb "volo". But that's even more obvious, I believe.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:58 AM   #3
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
But still it seems to me that your sister could write to this thread herself.
Fine. Though I don't (yet) consider myself as addicted to the Barrow-Downs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
When I laughed at her and told her she seems to be addicted to the BD she replied something like: "No, I'm not. That was all your fault, because you always speak of the Barrow-Downs and Barrow-Downs people."
No, no, no. It was more about her talking about Legate all the time...

EDIT: Wow, 10th post!!!
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Hahaha.

I really can't say if it's fun or horrible to have someone in your life that can analyse to you about which BD-related topics and which BDers you talk the most about. Maybe I should ask Little Green to make me some sort of a report or diagram and post it here...
Old 11-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
*envious cringe*

Nilpaurion Felagund, where in the real world are you!!!

Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Fine. Though I don't (yet) consider myself as addicted to the Barrow-Downs..
If not yet, then you have at least good start for it.

Quote:
I just hope it was all in good
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:55 AM   #7
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I just hope it was all in good
One can always hope.

I wonder if it's a sign of addiction that it really bothers me more that I haven't written the final narration for my late ww-game yet than that I have several unwritten texts for my creative writing lessons...
Old 11-26-2007, 05:12 AM   #8
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I think that we are talking of an addiction to WW, which I would argue is not the same as an addiciotn to The Downs.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:56 PM   #9
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Well, Rune, if that's not good enough for you, how about making 107 posts in the past 15 days...?