The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-29-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe Finishing the Lays of Beleriand....?

I've got it in my head that it would be most rewarding to corporately take up virtual pen in hand and, using the alliterative poetic structure established by Tolkien, to attempt to complete the Lay of Beren and Luthien, in alliterative style.

Discussion would of course be necessary to determine which of Tolkien's versions would be best to use, and at which points. Discussion would also be necessary to establish a level of minimum acceptable quality of the work in progress.

The only prerequisites I can think of would be:
  • interest
  • ability in alliterative poetics
  • knowledge & understanding of Tolkien's Lays

So, is there any interest?

And if so, what forum would such an endeavor best belong?

~ Elempi ~
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I have considered attempting something like this myself, though I always refrain when I imagine my feeble verse alongside Tolkien's. I would be very interested to read anyone's attempt.

Note, though - the Geste of Beren and Luthien is not in alliterative verse; it's in rhymed tetrametric couplets.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
That would be amazing! I'm horrible at poetry, so I won't even attempt to do any helping in the matter, but I think it's a good idea...at least to try.

-- Folwren
Old 01-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil
Note, though - the Geste of Beren and Luthien is not in alliterative verse; it's in rhymed tetrametric couplets.
Well, oops. That's what I get for writing the first post at work without my books handy and not having looked at the Lays of Beleriand for months. It is The Lay of the Children of Húrin that is in alliterative verse.

Truth be told, I think it might be just as intersting to attempt to render the Geste into alliterative verse after Tolkien's manner as found in Children.

So, is there interest in writing with me, or only reading my feeble attempts?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
As a fledgling, merely seventeen-years-old, never had any serious instruction, only self-named poet writer thingy, I can only dream of actually attempting to write any of it.

I'd love to attempt to give intelligent suggestions, though.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I still don't know what Forum would be most appropriate. Is it an off-shoot of the Revised Sil? I don't think so..... But I don't know where else to put it....

By the way, Durelin, fledgling you may be, but there's no time like the present to try something you're interested in; you never know.....
Old 01-29-2007, 10:24 PM   #7
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Sting

Quote:
I've got it in my head that it would be most rewarding to corporately take up virtual pen in hand and, using the alliterative poetic structure established by Tolkien, to attempt to complete the Lay of Beren and Luthien, in alliterative style.

Discussion would of course be necessary to determine which of Tolkien's versions would be best to use, and at which points. Discussion would also be necessary to establish a level of minimum acceptable quality of the work in progress.
I think that is an excellent idea. I for one, would love to read it. If I may make a suggestion in this. You might try to read the "Narn Beren ion Barahir" that Findegil has so amanzinly posted in the Translations from the Elvish Forum. He is ultra meticulous in the material that he uses and he explains his reasons in great detail. I don't think that you could find something like that anywhere else (that I know of at least). The observations and additions that Aiwendil have made, have made it even better.
It's a shame really that you didn't participate in the discussion, in the verse part, for I think that you could have enhanced it.

Looking foward to reading your stuff.
Maédhros.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:02 AM   #8
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Sounds really interesting. But the partcipants must be ready to undertake and finish such a great project. I know I couldn't help you even in Finnish... so I'll forget about doing it in English. Anyway, if you guys are up to such project, I'll be following it, and if I dare, might be giving you some critic or suggestions, but won't participate actively or importantly.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maédhros
If I may make a suggestion in this. You might try to read the "Narn Beren ion Barahir" that Findegil has so amanzinly posted in the Translations from the Elvish Forum. He is ultra meticulous in the material that he uses and he explains his reasons in great detail. I don't think that you could find something like that anywhere else (that I know of at least). The observations and additions that Aiwendil have made, have made it even better.
It's a shame really that you didn't participate in the discussion, in the verse part, for I think that you could have enhanced it.
Well shoot. I would have liked to have been a part of that. Perhaps I need to have a chat with Aiwendil, as he is mod of that forum...

Your interest, Lommy, and whatever participation, would be most welcome and greatly appreciated.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:01 AM   #10
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Silmaril

Quote:
Well shoot. I would have liked to have been a part of that. Perhaps I need to have a chat with Aiwendil, as he is mod of that forum...
You can be a part of that. It is still going on.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #11
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I'd love to be involved with this. The Lay of Leithian always struck me as an amazing work; so much thought must have gone into each line.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #12
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

I was wondering, have you done any work in the Lays?
Old 03-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #13
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I have not done any work in the lays, only research. Creating a thread here where such work could be done was my first foray into such a venture. What of you others?