The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-01-2002, 12:35 AM   #1
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Characters too similer?

I was talking to a friend of mine, and he said that he and his uncle were talking about the fact that the characters in the movie Lotr were more 'unique' then the ones in the book LotR. like for example, he felt that characters such as Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and pretty much any warrior guy were along the lines of 'I must protect the innocent!'
I'm am not sure what to think of this. What do you say?
Thank you and see ya, [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
~M
Old 11-01-2002, 12:56 AM   #2
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Silmaril

Well, I think in the movie, the characters are more unique because you can actually see them and what they look like, and that probably helps to some degree. I had just started reading the book when I watched the movie, so my opinion might be a little off, but I loved the characters in the book!! I also loved the way the movie portrays them, and I hope they do as good of a job with TTT and ROTK! Oh, by the way, I love your signature!!
Arwen
Old 11-01-2002, 11:35 AM   #3
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

I think Arwen hits the nail on the head about them seeming more unique because you can see them. The characters in the movie are just based off of the book, and with the possible exception of Boromir, they aren't really more unique. Sometimes it's just easier to relate to a person that doesn't exist only in your mind's eye.

On the other hand, of course, you have Merry and Pippin. Definite individuals in the book...but the movie makes it hard to tell them apart. If you pay real close attention (and watch it a million times [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) then you can tell, but in the book it is much more defined.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:09 PM   #4
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

Well, in order for the characters in any book to seem unique (except a picture book, of course), one must have a pretty good imagination and be able to picture the different characteristics of each person/thing clearly. Maybe your friend's uncle could use a little imagination-tuning? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I admit that sometimes I have a hard time picturing the characters, or telling the difference between some of them because they are described very little, or not at all. It all depends on the person.
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 03:35 PM   #5
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I agree with you, Tolkiengurl... when reading a book it is the readers' job to create the image of the character in their own head. The writer describes them thoroughly, but as a reader you give the character life in your imagination, a voice to speak with, and a personality. I think that when reading people give all characters their own voice, which makes it hard to distinguish between them.
When you see the movie it is the actors' job to make these choices, and that is why all movie characters are extra unique... because you have the actor and the character, and no actor will play a character like another actor.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 05:59 PM   #6
Keneldil the Polka-dot
Wight

Keneldil the Polka-dot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with the points made about "because you can see the characters in the movie..". Also, (at the risk of critisizing the master [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] ) I think JRRT was a little short on charcterization. His tone is more remote, as like an historian telling what happened. More so in the Silmarillion than LoTR, but I see it some there as well.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:13 PM   #7
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that they are all very different. Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli for example. They are different species for crying out loud! Aragorn is a man, destined to sit in the throne of Gondor and loves Arwen. Legolas is an elf who's father is the king of the elves in Mirkwood. Gimli is a dwarf from the lonley mountain. Is it even possible to not see the difference? I don't mean any offence but, I think that your friend should read the books a little more closely.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:57 PM   #8
Alcerin
Pile O'Bones

Alcerin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They all are very different characters! The Hobbits for instance...

Merry seems almost innocent compared to the others,but he knows some things the others don't,he's the most like Frodo because they are Brandybucks from birth (Frodo is a Baggins by adoption).

Frodo is the most responsible,and has aquired some characteristics from Bilbo,he's also the most serious,complex character because of his burdon.(and he loves mushrooms)

Pippin is quite ornery, and can be very foolish at times(he told Gandalf a lie[TTT],he almost betrayed Frodo's identity[chap 9,FOTR],he...might have caused the incident at the mines of Moriah...)we all know he loves beer [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] (as most Hobbits do)And,in spite of his flaws,he is adorable!

Sam really should go by Samwise,becase it fits him.he is the most sensible of the group,and loyal,and brave, and simple,and...well,the list goes on. He also is hilarous.

~John 11:35~
Alcerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 10:14 PM   #9
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think you guys are right about seeing the characters helps to see them as individuals for some but I thought the book did a better job at defining the characters and I learned more about who they were by reading, especially the hobbits and Leg and Gimli. So far in the movie they aren't really fleshed out much.
Old 11-02-2002, 08:35 AM   #10
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

You see, though, in movies the "movie people" can only develop a character so much. There has to be constant action, noise, or whatever to keep the majority of the people's attention. Now, I think they should make a FOTR, TTT, and ROTK each like 9 hours long with everything in them just for us Tolkien Fans!

On the other hand, in a book there's that quiet feeling, and the constant noise and action of a movie is not necessary. You get to make up, as said before, your own ideas for the character's voices, looks, and the way they carry themselves. In movies it can be disappointing when the person you imagined the character to be is NOT what they had in mind.
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 04:45 PM   #11
Alcerin
Pile O'Bones

Alcerin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I totally agree TolkienGurl!

~John 11:35~
Alcerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 07:40 PM   #12
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank you very much, people! I appreciate it! If the subject comes between me and my friend again, I will mention the points you made!
See ya, [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
~M