The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2004, 09:26 PM   #1
Alchisiel
Haunting Spirit

Location: At The Golden Perch enjoying the best pint in the East Farthing!
Alchisiel has just left Hobbiton.
1420! Two versions of the Books?

I had heard from my ex-nephew (long story) that there are two versions of the Lord of the Rings, is this true? He said the version that I have is wrong, that Gollum didn't bite Frodo's finger off, and that it was Sam who threw him into the lava or something similar to that. I really don't know why I'm asking because I don't believe him (even longer story)but thought that I would ask all of you since you guys and ladies have more experience with the books than I do but I got to thinking that he might have been referring to the HoME which I have not read yet. I just finished reading The Simarillion and boy am I confused but that's a different subject.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:49 PM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

He's having you on, mate.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:48 PM   #3
Alchisiel
Haunting Spirit

Location: At The Golden Perch enjoying the best pint in the East Farthing!
Alchisiel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Oh no he really thinks there are two different versions. He's a real big know it all. I didn't think there were but I'm new to LotR so I thought I would ask. What I need is a break down of the Simarillion. I've looked and looked all over the forum and can't find a post about the Simarillion. Where can I go for questions about that?
Old 04-24-2004, 04:30 AM   #4
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
Well, he's wrong. Gollum did bite Frodo's finger off before "dancing" off the cliff with the ring. But he could be talking about an old version. Some of the books in HoME shows the progress of LotR, before the finished book. I'm not at the end yet, so can anyone confirm this?
Old 04-24-2004, 08:17 AM   #5
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
There are/were two versions of how Bilbo found the Ring, the earlier one from The Hobbit was revised after the The Lord of the Rings.
There are also various earlier draft versions available to us in form of The History of the Lord of the Rings published in History of Middle-earth 6 to 9.
The rest is either a misconception or a joke.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:56 PM   #6
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
there were two versions of the hobbit. in the first one Bilbo found the ring but it wasnt of any importance to Gollum. when he wrote LOTR he had to go back and give the ring the powers, and show how it corrupted Gollum. he did this so it would make sence coming from The Hobbit into LOTR.

if that doesnt make sence its because i am not good at explaining my ideas so just let me know and i will try and clear things up.

now about the teo versions of LOTR. i dont think there were two version, but i wouldnt put it past Tolkien to have written something in his notes about Sam throwing it into the lava, and then changing his mind as he started writing. i want to say that i too have heard something like that, but i am not sure. if you have ever tried writing a story you know that ideas come, and then better ones come. so to say that he changed his mind about having Sam throw it in and have Gollum and Frodo have a fight is not at all that incredible.