The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-16-2003, 03:14 PM   #1
rudeboy
Animated Skeleton

rudeboy has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Sauron's Plan

What was Sauron's actual plan concerning the rings of power. He didn't bank on the elves making the 3, so he believed there was only 16 (7+9), so he thought he wouldn't be percieved when he forged the one, so he must of hoped the elves use the 16 and then become slaves to his will. But the elves made the 3 perceived him, so he had to dish the rings out to others! Does this seem correct, I have never quite understood it.
rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 09:52 PM   #2
tinewelt
Haunting Spirit

tinewelt has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

you should probably read the "rings of power" theme here on the website. (if you have not already done so) Also, its very well explained in the SIL. chapter concerning the rings of power. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
tinewelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:25 AM   #3
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think he was actually caught off guard by the Elves making the Three Rings. He had originally planned to subdue all the Free Peoples by giving their leaders Rings, that would eventually bring them under his power. He wanted to probably make the Elven Rings himself, or help Celebrimbor make them, since the Elves were his main enemies. He did the same thing for the Men and the Dwarves, I think. But since Celebrimbor made the Elven Rings on his own, Sauron didn't have any influence over them, or at least not as much as he would have liked.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 01:07 PM   #4
rudeboy
Animated Skeleton

Sting

You say he wanted to rule whole peoples by giving them rings, but by giving the rings to Kings of men, he only ruled them and not the kingdoms, or did he? Also the elven rings were just more powerful so they percieved Sauron, he could still control them the same if the elves did not take them off!
Old 07-17-2003, 01:23 PM   #5
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sauron did not rule the kingdoms of the men to whom he gaves the rings, but he did sway their leadership in that they did things that were indirectly of his bidding. Sauron cannot control the Three Rings, as he could with the others, in the sense that he has power over their bearers, but nonetheless the Ruling Ring exerted power over the Three because when it was destroyed the Three no longer held their power.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:45 PM   #6
FingolfintheBold
Haunting Spirit

FingolfintheBold has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FingolfintheBold
Sting

Say, lets go really off the subject for a second. What ever happened to Celebrimbor? Was he slain in the war, or did he go over the sea. I assume it was probably him he handed out the elven rings to various elven leaders, and since Cirdan had one, maybe it was given to him by Celebrimbor before he left...Thoughts?
Old 07-17-2003, 02:57 PM   #7
rudeboy
Animated Skeleton

Sting

If Sauron regained the one he would be able to control the 3 rings, as gandalf says to Frodo in FotR "A shadow of the past" he says, he will rule them all again even the 3 and will be stronger than ever. So the one did have a strong influence over the 3.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:13 PM   #8
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Sting

Celebrimbor was slain when Sauron's forces overtook Eregion.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:59 AM   #9
Osse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Osse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

in fact i believe Celebrimbor was tortured by sauron, he gave up the location of the 7, but kept the location of the 3 quiet, obviously the 3 were more dear to him. Having given all the information he was likely to, sauron killed his and used his body as a standard in the war that followed.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:58 AM   #10
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Poor Celebrimbor. I think that the Doom of Mandos followed all the descendants of Fëanor, and the best example is 'Brimbor. He died defending what he most loved, and even in death, he fought against Sauron, and tried to remedy his mistakes. Even in death, he foiled Sauron.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 12:08 PM   #11
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Sting

Quote:
even in death, he fought against Sauron, and tried to remedy his mistakes. Even in death, he foiled Sauron.
Finwe would you explain this quote? It rather confused me... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Would you be referring to the Elven Rings?

True, Celebrimbor is a prime example of the Doom of the Noldor, since in the end he was killed and the works that he devised were destroyed.