The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-10-2002, 04:40 PM   #1
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dűm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The ring in Numneor

Hi, its the new guy with another question. There are two conflicting accounts on whether or not Sauron took the ring with him to Numenor. According to the Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien:

Quote:
"Though reduced to a 'spirit of hatred borne on a dark wind', I do not think one need boggle at this spirit carrying off the One Ring, upon which his power of domination minds now largely depended"
(The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien #211)

However, in the Akalabeth in the Silm it says:
Quote:
"...and he came back to Middle Earth and to Mordor that was his home. There he took up again his great Ring in the Baradur"
From what I've read on this board you all would consider what is written in the letters as correct because it was written by Tolkien himself, but I'm curious as to whether or not Chris Tolkien or J.R.R. Tolkien made any more reference to this. I've only read a little of the HoME series, do to the fact that they are expensive and hard to find, so I can't be sure if there are more references to this contradiction.
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 05:00 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Sting

Quote:
There he took up again his great Ring in Barad-dűr, and dwelt there, dark and silent...
I believe here 'Ring' refers to the Barad-dűr and surrounding complex, just as the term 'Ring of Isengard' is used. Also, the quote says 'great Ring' and not 'Great Ring', which is how it would be if it was speaking of the One.
Old 01-11-2002, 01:47 PM   #3
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dűm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm pretty sure 'great Ring' does refer to the One. But the statement from the Silmarillion doesn't have to contradict the Letter. The words 'took up' can be taken to mean that Sauron began using the Ring openly once again once he got back to Barad-dur.

-Voronwe