The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-18-2003, 11:04 AM   #1
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting Preview Your Posts

I have added a new feature to our forum: POST PREVIEW.

Now you will be able to see your post before you make it permanent. It's really quite simple, but if you have any questions of difficulties, please post them here.

Also, report any previewing errors you encounter here.

Thanks,
Old 02-18-2003, 11:22 AM   #2
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

That's cool Barrow-wight! It works great, too. Thank You, sir.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:27 AM   #3
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

But can it really help me [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] !
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 12:55 PM   #4
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

You are a genius. No more annoying "Post edited by"s all over the place. Long li... er... rot the Barrow-Wight!
Old 02-18-2003, 02:06 PM   #5
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

My first use of the Preview button worked flawlessly, and on a very long post.

That's one less excuse for poor spelling, typing, etc. Let's hope the Preview button really encourages Downers to edit and revise before posting.

Bethberry
Old 02-18-2003, 05:36 PM   #6
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yay, I love previewing my posts! For some strange reason, I find it to be fun....

Yay, that was fun. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Thanks, BW, this is awesome!
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 06:58 PM   #7
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

How interesting! Well, but you do know that if you find yourself editing multiple times, you can always erase the former edit messages.

I do wonder how the preview is different from just reading over the message before posting? All it does it put it in green.

But nevermind, I'm sure this will be quite helpful in some way, which I am simply too dense to realize.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:15 PM   #8
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, Diamond, for some reason I always notice more mistakes when my post is in green.... It's weird, I know, but true!
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:54 PM   #9
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Me, too, Galadriel. I can read an entry over and over. Then as soon as I post it some mistake will leap out at me. "Dang! How'd I miss that!"

Thank you for the button, B-W. Did you have to drop the borders in between the topics in order to put the button in? (I'm not complaining. Just wondering.)
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 04:17 AM   #10
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

I know exactly what you mean, Galadrie1 and Birdland. I think that text is more difficult to read properly in the input window. That's why the preview is such a good idea.

Barrow-Wight, I've used it on nearly all my posts since I found out about the new feature, in one case constantly correcting and previewing before publishing. I haven't had any problems at all. Nice one!

[EDIT] Of course it still doesn't help you if you've somehow mixed up the words "feature" and "problem", does it?

[ February 19, 2003: Message edited by: Squatter of Amon Rudh ]
Old 02-20-2003, 09:51 PM   #11
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

It's nice, but don't do what I just did! A verrrrry long post (of course [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) I previewed, saw an error, tried to correct it in the preview mode, it jumped back and dissapeared! I should have put it back before trying to change or something. it all happened so fast! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Argh! Oh well, that was one post that won't happen! Duh!
Old 02-23-2003, 03:30 PM   #12
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Good, I'm not going senile at the age of fifteen. I saw the "Preview" button the other day and thought I was going insane and that it had been here my entire duration at the Downs (this month is my one year anniversary, by the way! Yay!).

Liriodendron: sometimes even if you just click "back" to check something, that happens.

And: I'll probably end up "edit"'ing everything a few times anyway, as I usually change the way I word a post about three or four different times if I'm saying anything worthwhile (well, worthwhile in my eyes, anyway).

But: great new feature, Barrow-Wight! I was actually thinking about a Preview button the other week (which was why I thought I'd lost my marbles completely when I saw the function).

Question: is there some way you could install a Spell-Checker of some variety? It might aid us in those typographical errors and the like.