The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
Radtech51
Animated Skeleton

Radtech51 has just left Hobbiton.
Rings of Power talk!

I know of many questions that were never specifically answered by J.R.R. Tolkien himself. I think in many ways he preferred to keep a lot a mystery like his famous character Tom Bombadil. I put together a list of nine questions that I thought were very interesting, I also I thought that we could explore the questions together. I’ve included my answer for each of the questions listed below but I would like to hear yours as well, please enjoy.

Some basic history first, (going from memory here).

In the beginning the elves created many rings (magic rings), the lesser rings were but essays in the craft until if was full-grown, they were of various sorts some more potent some less. To the Elven smiths they were but trifles (something of little importance or value), but to Gandolf's mind still to dangerous for mortals. The greater rings the rings of power were perilous, if a mortal kept one he would no longer age nor would he die but simply continue until at last every moment would be a constant weariness. And if he often used the ring to become invisible he would become invisible permanently and forever walk under the twilight shadow in the realm of the dark Lord.

Sauron the deceiver tricked and betrayed the Elven smiths so he could then learn the craft of ring making and in doing so later in secret forge the one master Ring, (The one Ring to Rule them All). 20 rings of power total were created 19 were created by the elves and one was created by Sauron, himself making the one master ring. As it goes, Nine for the mortal men doomed to die, seven for the dwarf lords in their halls of stone, three for the Elven king’s under the sky, and one for the dark Lord in his dark throne. In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

As it is said when Sauron forged the one ring in secret he was revealed as a traitor and his true self was revealed. Sauron's ruling ring could not be kept as secret once it was created and thus Sauron was revealed as a traitor to the elves.

So what ended up happening to all 20 rings?
We know that the nine are accounted for, (Nazgul), the five were consumed by Dragons and the other two were captured by Sauron or destroyed. The remaining three were hidden form Sauron and have never been touched by him. Gandolf has one of them Narya is set with a red stone and is the element of fire. Galadriel's ring is known as Nenya set with a white stone and is the element of creation. Elrond's ring Vilya is set with a blue stone and is the element of air.

We also know that the three remaining rings of power are of a different type then the one ruling ring Sauron created, they can't be used in the same way to wage war or control others that was not their design. All 19 of the Greater Rings of power that the elves created were of the same craft but did very in function it would seem, it was never told specifically what each of the 19 greater rings could do but it was assumed that they had functions that were of good nature, learning etc. but most certainly not for evil use or by design like the one ring was. It wasn’t until Sauron later captured many of the greater rings that they were then turned to evil use. Sauron’s master ring was really the only one among the twenty that was specifically evil and was used as a weapon by design.

So now it comes to the questions, please feel free to debate and state your opinion about the rings and their uses, I’d very much like to here your opinions.

Why did Sauron not create more rings of power?

A: I suppose we may never know for sure if he ever attempted it during the war, at the very least he would have created a few of the lesser rings and designed them specifically for control over his servants, perhaps the one who called himself the mouth of Sauron was given such a ring? As for crafting more of the greater rings of power that feat would have proved more difficult especially since a large portion of his former power passed away from him when he lost the original ruling ring. However it is plausible to think that perhaps his control over the Nazgul or even his realm was diminishing over time without the one ruling ring back in his possession. Put more specifically his days in control over the Nazgul were numbered the moment he lost the one ring. This might also explain why he didn’t want to create any additional rings of power in fear that if he did so it would have further threatened his control over his realm without the one ring back in his possession first.

Why wasn’t Saruman the white giving one of the three greater rings of power originally since he was appointed to the task of learning about the craft?

A: So we know that it was Saruman’s task to learn everything he could about the rings of power, we also know that Saruman’s knowledge of the craft was very extensive. According to JRR Tolkien himself there existed a very real possibility of him finding the lost lore he needed and creating his own greater ring of power. So one might conclude that Saruman would have been the perfect choice to be chosen as one of the secret wielders of the three. My only conclusion is that the elves just didn’t trust Saruman but I’m sure he was still considered originally for the task. I’m also going to assume that the white council chose Saruman to be tasked with the responsibility of learning all about the rings and their lore and the decision had no bearing on him as a suitable wielder. One might also conclude that if by giving Saruman one of the remaining three greater rings of power it would have brought more attention to something they did not wish known. Saruman being the more powerful of the Wizards at the time just wasn’t the wiser choice.

Why is it none of the three greater rings of power never turned their wielders invisible even when they had them on?

A: Did Gandolf, Galadriel or Elrond ever even use there rings of power to become invisible?
Surely we know that all 20 greater rings of power had this ability, so I’m going to assume that every one of the wielders except for the Hobbits knew how to control this power. To become invisible came at a cost as we all know and I’m sure they didn’t want to pay the price for the ability.
We also know that Gandolf, Galadriel and Elrond always kept there ring of power on them and the rings were invisible to everyone but themselves or to another wielder with a great ring. For example Frodo was able to see Galadriel’s ring of power when Sam could not. It’s my belief that with training Frodo could have learned much about the ring and how to control it assuming he bent all his effort towards the task. However Galadriel warned him not to try in fear it would destroy him.

Why didn’t the ring wraiths ever use there rings to become invisible in the books?

A: They most surely had in the beginning which is why the ring wraiths now walk in the twilight land permanently and are almost all but invisible to anyone looking upon them directly. I’m also going to assume that they could have used there rings in the story to make themselves completely invisible but didn’t see the need to do it. Their eyesight was very poor and they needed there steeds as eyes. Also couldn’t make steeds become invisible anymore then Frodo could make his sword become invisible once he drew it from his sheath. However it would bring a potentially potent combat advantage to them if they were ever dismounted. I think the main reason none of them ever used the rings to become invisible during combat was due to over confidence.

What kind of power did the one master ruling ring that Sauron created really have?

A: In the books Galadriel said that the rings gave power according to one’s stature. We also know that at ring had the power of command and heightened one’s awareness, it also granted invisibility and exceptionally long life. With the one ring Sauron also created structures and fortresses so we know it also had the power of creation as well.

If I was to add to the list of powers I believe it would also grant the ability to call forth great army’s to it’s command and grant powerful control over them. I also believe the wielder could be granted great physical strength in combat and be given the power of domination over others most likely through fear.

What ever happened to all the lesser magic rings and might they have been also used in the war?

A: I’m going to assume for the most part they were all lost or destroyed, however I don’t think they would have been made for combat or destruction but more for learning and building. I think Sauron was the only one who ever warped the rings to do such evil things. I also think that Saruman must have had one of the lesser rings for his own or could have most certainly of made one for himself with this knowledge. Perhaps it was one such ring that gave him the gift he had over others with the use of his voice?

What exactly did Gandolf’s ring do? Was Narya the ring of fire?

Gandolf was known to be very talented and powerful when it came to the use of fire. Was it because of his spell knowledge as a Wizard? Or was it because of his use of the greater ring he wielded? When he fought the Balrog for example did the ring give him some kind of limited fire protection? Could his ring have ever been used as a weapon period? We know he stated before that the three were not crafted for such use but I can’t help but wonder. Did his ring grant him a better understanding of fire and of it’s control? Did it allow him to set things ablaze like he did on weather top when fighting off the Nasgul?
Upon reflection Gandolf did say he needed something to work with and couldn’t just create fire from nothing, so can we can assume the ring couldn’t do that? Or perhaps not, it’s quite possible that he was forbidden to ever use the ring in fear that it might bring attention to himself or reveal to Sauron where it could be found. And if Sauron captured Gandolf’s ring we know it would have been turned to evil use like he did with the Nasgul’s rings.

Could the one master ring have ever been used for good?

A: In the books they made this question rather clear, No. Put simply the one master ring was crafted by Sauron and a large portion of his power and former self was put into it’s making. It was made specifically for the sole purpose of gaining power by controlling others and any wielder who bent his will towards using it would have ended up like Sauron himself or as one of the Nasgul. To wield and use the ring you would have to become very similar to Sauron himself, you would end up dominating others and craving power. In order to use the ring to it’s full potential you would have to do these things or else the ring would utterly reject you, and if the ring knew you didn’t have the power in you to do these things it would just use you Intel it could work it’s way to another wielder. According to Gandolf a ring of power looks out for itself and no mortal could resist it’s control over you indefinitely, it would gain control over you in the end and it would ultimately dominate you. All the wise knew this and feared to touch it use it or even take it even to keep it safe due to that reason.

What ever happened to the King of the Nazgul’s ring when he was slain?

A: As for this question I’m not sure, I didn’t hear anything about it I’m going to assume it ended up on the battlefield covered with dirt and debris from the battle and remained there. Perhaps after the battle someone came by and pick it up not knowing what it was? Or perhaps Gandolf went and retrieved the ring himself and placed it somewhere safe temporarily? Ultimately the one Ring was destroyed so this ring would have lost it’s power, still it would’ve made a Great souvenir.
Radtech51 is offline   Reply With Quote