The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #1
Ren the Unclean
Newly Deceased

Ren the Unclean has just left Hobbiton.
Was Melkor Bipolar?

I have always found the evil characters interesting. I like to analyze their character traits and motives.

I have always thought of Melkor as a Charismatic Sociopath. He was charming and manipulative, and almost totally lacking in empathy.

But there was more to him than that. He was impulsive, exuberant, reckless, irritable, destructive, self-confident to the point of grandiosity, and more interested in sex than most Ainur.

I recently started reading Andy Behrman’s memoir about his struggle with bipolar disorder. “Manic Depression is about … madness, moments of absolute delusion, bliss, and irrational choices made in order to heighten pleasure and excitement and to ensure a sense of control. … Most days I need to be as manic as possible to come as close as I can to destruction” And I thought, “He’s acting just like Melkor!”

A recent news article on Charlie Sheen listed some characteristic bipolar symptoms including “grandiosity (or is it delusions of grandeur?), exhilaration, hyper-energy, inappropriate and reckless behaviors, impulsiveness”. All of which sound very like Melkor.

I do realize that Melkor is a fictional character penned before Manic-Depressive/Bipolar disorder was recognized. However, so was Mr. Toad from “The Wind in the Willows”, and he definitely had the disorder. (Badger: “Toad may be brought back at any moment – on a stretcher, or between two policemen.”)

So what do you think? Bipolar Disorder doesn’t justify Melkor’s behavior, but does it help to explain it?

Last edited by Ren the Unclean; 03-17-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Ren the Unclean is offline   Reply With Quote