The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Tolkien's Understanding of Eru

I've always felt that Eru Illuvatar in Tolkien's works is meant to be a more or less direct reference to God in the Judeo-Christian tradition, but I'm wondering exactly what Tolkien himself ever might have said regarding Eru's nature. The Wikipedia article for Eru Illuvatar suggests that Tolkien considered Eru to actually be God, though viewed from the perspective of a fictional culture far in the past, and has this nifty quote from The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien -

"We differ entirely about the nature of the relation of sub-creation to Creation. I should have said that liberation "from the channels the creator is known to have used already" is the fundamental function of "sub-creation", a tribute to the infinity of His potential variety [...] I am not a metaphysician; but I should have thought it a curious metaphysic — there is not one but many, indeed potentially innumerable ones — that declared the channels known (in such a finite corner as we have any inkling of) to have been used, are the only possible ones, or efficacious, or possibly acceptable to and by Him!"

- but I wonder, did Tolkien ever write anything else of this nature?

"And a cold voice rang forth from the blade.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote