The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2002, 11:28 PM   #1
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Middle Earth Extra Appreciation Month!

OK, since I've never been able to decide just what kind of Middle Earthling a "Birdland" is, I've just taken to calling myself a "Middle Earth Extra". And I think it's time we all saluted those small roles, yet not small players, who helped to flesh out Tolkien's great work, and in some cases actually furthered the plot.

Even P.J. recognized the contribution these named, but barely, characters played in the making of LoTR, and in appreciation he is actually adding a scene in The Two Towers where Arwen has an actual conversation with a nameless Rohanian refugee woman. Sorta trying to put a human face to the great battle of Helm's Deep.

So let's raise our glasses and salute the Middle Earth Extras. Let's hear it for Ioreth's kinswoman, Lotho "Pimple" Sacksville-Baggins, Forlong the Fat, Gárulf - the guy who bit it so Eomer could give Aragorn a horse, the porter of Fen Hollen...

Heyyyyy...wait a minute. Most of these Middle Earth Extras are DEAD! I mean, they're dropping like Red Shirts in a Star Trek episode! (Birdie backs into a corner, looks around wildly, and picks up a rock.)

[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote