The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2006, 08:38 PM   #11
Thalion
Haunting Spirit

Thalion has just left Hobbiton.
What places Carcharoth much higher than Huan...they slew each other...? And since the prophesy is being taken into account about Huan's death and his placement in relation to Sauron, since when does Carcharoth deserve a placing significantly higher than Huan?

Additionally, in reading simply the last lines of Feanor, Fingolfin, Fingon, and Finrod, we are given the following statements in the Sil:

Feanor: "Then he died; but he had neither burial nor tomb, for so fiery was his spirit that as it sped his body fell to ash, and was borne away like smoke; and his likeness had never again appeared in Arda, neither has his spirit left the halls of Mandos. Thus ended the MIGHTIEST OF THE NOLDOR (emphasis added), of whose deeds came both their greatest renown and their most grievous woe."

Fingolfin: "He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Orome himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar"...Morgoth comes to the challenge but "and it is said that he took not the challenge willingly; for thorugh his might was greatest of all things in the world, alone of the Valar he knew fear"....hense we can deduce that Morgoth feared either death, defeat, or Fingolfin himself......Fingolfin wounds Morgoth "with seven wounds, and seven times Morgoth gave a cry of anguish, whereat the hosts of Angband fell upon their faces in dismay..." so Fingolfin is making a mockery of Morgoth so badly that his forces are crying on the ground......finally he falls to the ground, but "Thirse he was crushed to his knees, and thrice aroce again and bore up his broken shield and stricken helm"...until finally he falls in the pit and with his last "desperate stroke Fingolfin hewed the foot with Ringil........Thus died Fingolfin...most proud and valiant of the Elven-kings of old".

Fingon: "AT last Fingon stodd aone with his guard dead about him; and he fought with Gothmog, until another Balrod came behind and cast a thong of fire about him. Then Gothmog hewed him with his black axe, and a white flame sprang up from the helm of Fingon as it was cloven. Thus fell the high king of the Noldor..."

Finrod: "Thus King Finnrod Felagund, fairest and most beloved of the house of Finwe..." after he dies at the hands of a werewolf...

My points from these texts are the following:

Feanor and Fingolfin most definetly deserve placing above the other two...in what order it is hard to say...Fingolfin wounded Morgoth multiple times...no small feat, yet Feanor is named specifically Mightiest of the Noldor...yet Fingolfin caused Morgoth to feel fear, so this one is a toss up in my mind...

Finrod comes next...although he strove with Sauron for a long time, he eventually LOST and was eventually killed by none other than a "simple" werewolf...although he possssed powers to decieve Sauron (continue his and Beren's disguises) in his powers of song, that doesn't to me seem to imply great powers as this list seems to be conveying...additionally, since he doesn't die with a title like that of Feanor or Fingolfin, I believe he deserves to be placed lower than them on the list

Fingon ranks the lowest of these...he strives with Gothmog and presumably is doing fine until another Balrog gets in the picture and allows Gothmog to kill him...however, the white flame that leaps up from his helm seems somewhat pertinent as it characterizes somewhat of his character...none-the-less...I'd place him last of the 4

Last edited by Thalion; 04-01-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Thalion is offline   Reply With Quote