Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2006, 05:01 PM   #11
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
After a very weird experience with Fléin, which she was still not sure had really happened, Sai made her way up to the Registrar’s office, and joined the extortionately long queue that seemed to have formed in the 2 seconds between her reaching the room and getting inside. Sighing she settled in for a long wait, and saw that some of the members of the Offending Party had got here before her, though neither Alli or Panakeia looked particularly happy with whatever they had ended up taking.

An indeterminately boring amount of time passed, until Sai was finally near the front of the queue. By this time she was tired and close to collapse as a result of lack of blood sugar, and was not pleased to find her way blocked by a couple of students making out in the middle of the path. In no mood to be worried about offending others, she shoved past them.

“Hey!” Cried the girl, ungluing her lips from her boyfriend’s long enough to yell at Sai, who simply rolled her eyes and carried on to the free desk.

“Name?” Came the clipped voice of the Registrar.

”Sai Onara.”

“Course?”

“Uh, I don’t know, I thought that was why I was here.”

This comment was met with a steely glare and a huff of annoyance from the woman behind the screen. Used by now to the little tricks Mordor threw, Sai began to suggest courses, but each suggestion was met by a problem with that particular course. Eventually the woman just gave her one.

“You’ll have to take Grammar and Diction in Modern English, it’s the only one free right now. It starts in 5 minutes though, so you had better get a move on.”

Thanking her, Sai left, grabbing a map of the building on her way out. She didn’t hold out much hope that it would be of any help to her, but you never knew.

- - - - - - - - - -

A few wrong turns and people who don't know directions and give false ones later, Sai found her classroom and entered. She was surprised to see that she was the only person in there, aside from the tall man with the rumpled suit, who was standing behind a lectern at the front of the room wearing a rather bemused expression. Seeing her he threw his arms up in welcome.

“Hello! You must be Sai, come in, come in, I am so looking forward to teaching you, I’m sure we’re going to have a fabulous year together.”

Year! Thought Sai in horror. I can’t be here for a year, what if the chance to leave is over by then? Frantic she tried to think of something that would get her out of here before then, but nothing came to her. She opened her mouth to try and come up with some lie or excuse that would get her out of it, and as she did so, she realised what she needed to do. It would hurt, but it was necessary.

“Professor! I am so, like, you know, happy to be ‘ere.”

“Oh no! A valley girl, and you drop your h’s, I can see I have a lot to teach you.”

“Dis is so kewl man, I never got no English lessons before.”

She fought to keep from laughing at the horrified look on the man’s face, and carried on.

“Cus, you know, I always fort it were some kind of dead language you know, what wif all dem dictionary fings. I mean, you don’t write somfink down ‘less you don’t need it no more yeah?”

“Oh my God.” The poor professor was practically whimpering now. “I don’t know if I can cope!”

“What? Oh ok, gimme your siggy on dis bit o’ paper and I’ll get out of your face.”

“Well, I’m not sure I can . . .”

“Cus, you know, I bet I can start droppin’ pronouns an’ even more le’ers and add should of’s and would of’s and . . .”

“Alright! I’ll do it, just give me the damned paper.”

Snatching a hastily produced slip of paper from some pocket, Sai handed it over and watched as the professor scrawled his name on it. Overcome with relief she took it back and hugged him before running out of the door.

“Thank you! I won’t forget this!”

“Wait! You can speak properly!”

Oops, thought Sai as she passed through the door. Deciding to give the poor guy a break she stuck her head back through and smiled.

“You must be a really great teacher then.”

And she left him with a huge grin on his face.

- - - - - - - - -
Wandering up various flights of stairs as the lifts were, of course, out of order, Sai finally reached the dormitory room she had been assigned, and fell onto the bed. As she rolled over she noticed another bed in the room, and wondered who she would find in here when she woke up the next morning. Her last thought as she dropped off to sleep was that she had done everything Anakron had asked of her, perhaps tomorrow she would be getting out of Mordor . . .