The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2005, 06:01 AM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree "Critters of Moria"

We come to a discussion on these "critters of Moria" that Gandalf was talking about when he fell into the deepest parts of the Moria. We of course will probably never know what these critters are, but I now have a strong feeling that they were (atleast some of them) the "Watcher in the Water" type creatures. As, there is this one lone passage I have found in Journey through the Dark:
Quote:
"I felt that something horrible was near from the moment that my foot first touched the water," said Frodo. "What was the thing, or were there many of them?"
"I do not know," answered Gandalf, "but the arms were all guided by one purpose. Something has crept, or has been driven out of dark waters under the mountains. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world."
We know that the Watcher was attracted to the Ring, it's just be no coincidence that all these things through the journey (Orc Captain in Moria) continually get drawn to Frodo. But, this does bring out two things as far as the Watcher in the Water is concerned.

One, it now may not only be "one" being, it could be multiple octopus-like things, all going after Frodo. And two, Gandalf immediately draws connection with the Watcher in the Water to the "dark waters under the mountains" and the "deep places of the world?" So is the Watcher in the Water one of these "Moria Critters?" Are there possibly more?